Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need to replace crushed front derailleur help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-22, 07:50 AM
Newbiebikeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I accidentally crushed my front derailleur when locking up my bike in a town the other day.

Seeing as I have to replace it I was wondering if it was worth buying an upgrade to the entry level one I have now without changing anything else on the bike. And if so what my options are.

I have a factory standard Trek Dual Sport 2, which going by internet specs is fitted with a "Shimano Tourney TY710, 34.9 mm clamp, top-swing, dual pull" front derailleur and has a "Shimano Acera M360, long cage" rear derailleur. 3x7 6/7 speed.

I just want to know what front derailleur I could install that would work and be better than the base level currently on the bike.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-22, 01:11 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6202 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Just get a replacement DR of the same or close. Make sure its for the same type front, 2x vs 3x.

IMO, what you spend upgrading to better group set on your current bike will be better saved for a new bike with all around better stuff. Significantly better group will cost you quite a bit. Especially if you can't DIY everything yourself.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-29-22, 01:39 PM
Newbiebikeguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Just get a replacement DR of the same or close. Make sure its for the same type front, 2x vs 3x.

IMO, what you spend upgrading to better group set on your current bike will be better saved for a new bike with all around better stuff. Significantly better group will cost you quite a bit. Especially if you can't DIY everything yourself.
Thanks for your input, I don't plan on upgrading this bike as I've had it less than a year, I don't want to change the gearing I just want to replace the broken derailleur with a nicer bit of kit as they are generally inexpensive I just dont know what I can swap it to or what is compatible with my current set up.
Old 05-29-22, 05:03 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6202 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
I don't think you'll get much if any better performance out of another front DR without also changing out your crank. And even then it won't be much better.

The part number of your front shift lever will be the most useful thing to help determine what Shimano says about other of their DR's that are compatible. But if you stay in the 7and 8 speed component groups maybe even 9 speed, you are probably good for just a front DR. But probably you should wait till some others answer. Sunday is usually a slow day here. And I haven't seen many of the people that really know this stuff around yet today.

I did misread what you said originally about upgrading. Now I see that you don't want to put anything on it that will require other new stuff.

Shimano keeps their technical documents here..... https://si.shimano.com/#/

There is a compatibility guide near the bottom right. However that is for the very new stuff. When you get in it, at the top there is a link to the archive and you can download the compatibility charts that will have your stuff in them. But you need to know the actual part numbers which will be on the backside of most of the components.

They take a while to get use to using. The specific part number will show up in multiple years as long as that specific part number was in production.... I think.

Last edited by Iride01; 05-29-22 at 05:11 PM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-29-22, 06:26 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
If there's a bike co-op near you, they'll have a bin full of salvaged derailleurs you can pick through. They'll help you get something compatible, maybe better, and for just a few dollars. And you get to reuse something.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 05-29-22, 06:37 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by Newbiebikeguy
Hi everyone, I accidentally crushed my front derailleur when locking up my bike in a town the other day.
Did you actually crush it or just push it out of place? I would think it would be unusual to crush a derailleur while locking your bike up but I guess anything can happen. I know the board says you can't post pictures yet, but you can upload them to your album and someone can take a look at it. Maybe this isn't as bad as you think.

Old 05-30-22, 10:01 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Did you actually crush it or just push it out of place? I would think it would be unusual to crush a derailleur while locking your bike up but I guess anything can happen. I know the board says you can't post pictures yet, but you can upload them to your album and someone can take a look at it. Maybe this isn't as bad as you think.
Yes, and even if you bent the cage, you probably can straighten it out with a little care and it will work as good as new.