Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Look.. A home made handlebar camera mount for under 3 bucks.

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-11, 07:07 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex 29'r, 2007 Trek 1500 -- 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara -- 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc (converted to touring bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As the regulars to the southeast forum know.. I like to take pictures from a camera mounted on my bars. I originally got 2 cheapo mounts (one for the mountain bike and one for the road bike). I had to modify the one for the road bike.. And the one on the mountain bike busted (didn't kill the camera though). Found out later that the reviews on amazon for those mounts were VERY BAD... So while looking for a new mount I ran across this site here... Looks like you can make one that is for sure better than the 2 that I bought...... for under 3 bucks... I'll give it a shot and report back.. It says under a buck...

https://www.instructables.com/id/Bicycle-Camera-Mount-for-under-$1/

Don't know why the link is not clickable.....

Last edited by RonH; 07-01-11 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-01-11, 01:32 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zz, I made one of these a few months ago. It worked great except for one thing. Vibration caused the camera to loosen on the connector bolt. It never came off but I had to re-tighten it several times on a long ride. I was still happy with it though. Definitely worth the 3 bucks.
Old 07-01-11, 01:44 PM
Bobsled

Bikes: Litespeed Classic (55cm), Specialized Tarmac Pro (56cm)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Yeah, I made one too and vibration was a killer. I gave up on it. Yes, I know about deshaker but it didn't work and seemed to degrade the video.

Specialized Tarmac, lasts a lifetime, or until it breaks.
Old 07-01-11, 03:24 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by zzOtherlandzz
Don't know why the link is not clickable.....
Fixed.

I might give it a try. Thanks.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-01-11, 04:01 PM
zzOtherlandzz

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex 29'r, 2007 Trek 1500 -- 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara -- 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc (converted to touring bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Fixed.

I might give it a try. Thanks.
Thanks Ron....

Ohhhh I know for Video it most likely would not be that good, but for still shots on the fly It's going to work great (I think) at least as well as the cheapo one I bought on ebay (that broke). My biggest problem is that the camera I'm using now has the mounting hole offset to one side instead of in the middle. Causing a bit more shake than the first camera I was using. But both are cheap camera's.

Thanks for the fix Ron.

SloSpoke... Did you try rubber washer or piece of inner tube on the bottom of the camera? One of the comments on that link mentioned they did that to help keep the camera tight.

Well ....... It ended up costing me a buck.... And that was enough stuff to make 2 of them. Bought the stuff at the bolt and screw place in Palatka. I love the place if you don't want/need a receipt... you get a really good price But that buck included 15 of the hex bike bolts, stainless even. I needed those for the bike I'm converting to a tour bike. The bike sat for 3 or 4 years in storage and the only "used" looking part of it was the bolts, where the heads had rusted a bit from the humidity here in FL.

Gonna try and put the mount together later.....
Old 07-02-11, 06:45 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SloSpoke... Did you try rubber washer or piece of inner tube on the bottom of the camera? One of the comments on that link mentioned they did that to help keep the camera tight.

Yes I did use some rubber washers and they did help. My camera has an offset mounting hole as well and this does create more shake.

I did about a 30second video (thats all my camera will do) and I was pretty pleased with the way it turned out. I was on very smooth road when I did it though. If I knew how to load it on here I would so you could take a look.