Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1996 Koga-Miyata SilverAce Project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1996 Koga-Miyata SilverAce Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-23, 11:24 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
That looks fantastic! It's a shame to see the chaincase go, but the Hollowtech cranks that continue the DA 7800 styling look really good with a single ring.

Not to mention that they eliminate yet another thing for a jean cuff to get caught on; I've found that square taper cranks alone aren't a guarantee you won't somehow get snagged on the crankarm's edge around the bolt mount (then again, 517's are my go-to, so it's not as if I make the situation any easier). This crank design basically makes snags impossible.

Incidentally, I found a similar dropout configuration on an el-cheapo, wannabe-motorcycle moped recently (also found a pair of very Q-factored cranks fitted with cotters - same size as a bicycle. Mad Honk's VAR tool made removal a breeze ).

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 03-28-23, 05:29 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by T700
Hi Jaeco,
I have been inspired by your thread to renovate a well-used Gazelle tourer "Superieur Special" with a design very similar to the Silver Ace, which I took over from a senior citizen in my neighborhood. Unlike you, I decided to put minimum money into the renovation which is quite close to stock condition.“Buying price” was six bottles of red wine, and I went for the bike because it was the more rare version (for Germany) with Sachs Super7 drum brake hub and matching front drum brake. I put back the stock 32 mm tires and modified the primary gearing to 38-21 which is the lower limit of the hub (compared to stock 46-19). Because my area is quite hilly, I wanted really low gears close to 1:1 ratio. I also cleaned and re-lubricated the gear hub which was otherwise in good condition. Braking power was poor initially although the pads were OK, after putting metal instead of plastic levers and low-compression Jagwire cable housings, it improved a lot and compares to 90ies rim brakes, I would say. This bike is now my runabout-town-bike for all seasons/all weathers. I am surprised the gap between the conservative “opafiets” look and the quite sporty handling… so different from the traditional Gazelle “Speciaal” tourer that I also own.
That's lovely to hear T700! Sounds like a good upgrade and maintenance to that bike. Any chance we might see more of it one day?

The SilverAce is still my commuter and run-about-town bicycle here though it might need a good clean when the weather makes for some warmer evenings.
In the meantime I just added a small modification to my Carradice Bagman support. The mini rack had some issues with the small bag and the heavy Abus Granit CityChain XPlus lock, or mostly the 2+kg (4.6lbs) lock had a tendency to make the bag sag.

So I tried adding some extra supports using some spare stainless steel spokes I removed in the past from a wheel build. It didn't go exacly as planned but here's what I tried:
  • Soldering them straight on.
    • Nope. Turns out soldering one steel thing to another big solid steel rod is hard with a soldering iron.
  • Soldering but adding some pilot holes
    • Didn't work either. I just couldn't heat up the bug supports enough.
  • Superglue
    • Nope
  • Drilling holes all the way through and just bending them around
    • Yeah that worked. Not my most gracious approach but highly funtional. 2mm stainless steel drill bit and a pair of lightweight 2mm spokes worked well.

Original. Sagilicious

Supports. Drilled and bent.

Glamour shots:

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 04-02-24, 04:40 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
This might sound silly... but this shifter has completely changed the feel of the bike for me.

The Sturmey Archer RXL-RD5 hub came with the TSC50 twist shifter but that one felt cheap and nasty so I used the nice and sturdy SLC50 thumb shifter for the past couple of years. It has always felt a bit off though. Some of the gears felt a bit vague or would consistently overshift in certain gears which made me primarily use the second gear to start and the fifth gear when cruising.
Especially third gear was never used because the trigger part had too much play and didn't slot nicely into place all these years. And I've tried to adjust things or clean them.

But the third option in shifters is the DLC50 trigger shifter. Thumb to downshift, index finger and thumb to quickly upshift. I had read somewhere that the trigger shifter was the more exact one of the three but I did not expect such a stark difference. I probably want to try and move it up a little bit more so I get more space on the grips for my hands but other than that, let's see how these hold up.

Also, don't bother with the Ergon GP1 bioleder grips. Even when treated they soak up water and after standing and evening in the rain they will have a thin layer of mold on them in the morning. That's the bubbling you see on the grips.

EDIT: Moldy grips

Last edited by JaccoW; 04-02-24 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-04-24, 06:29 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I believe it! I don't have a Sturmey Archer, but a few years ago, I upgraded our tandem from 3x7 to 3x11, and I used Deore XT rear derailleur and shifter. I've been riding bikes for a long time, but this is the best shifting I've ever had. In my case, I push with the thumb for either kind of shift, it's just a matter of which paddle to push. It's reliable and very fast.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider: