Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Other Hobbies and Avocations - Newer Folks to the Forum

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Other Hobbies and Avocations - Newer Folks to the Forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-12, 11:22 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Travel. Currently Machka and I are travelling around the world, with our bikes in tow. We left Australia in mid-June, and have visited Hong Kong, Taiwan, Hokkaido (the northernmost island of Japan), England, Scotland, the Netherlands, Germany, France, England again, Canada, and now we are working our way south in the US to Louisiana. Tonight we are in Grand Junction, Colorado, and will be heading to Colorado Springs via Denver in the next couple of days.

Machka has this thread going in touring:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...he-World-We-Go

Here is her journal on her own website:
https://www.machka.net/RTW_2012/RTW_2012.htm

And here is her flickr site for her photographs, some of which are very good:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/sets/

Canoeing. We bought a plastic moulded canoe three years ago, and have been out each summer since doing river and lake paddling.

The beach. Machka loves beaches, and has got into a bit of boogie boarding, and surf skiing. We spent a fair bit of time on the west coast of France on beaches...

Sailing. I haven't for a while, but desperately want to get back into it again. Mainly harbour racing in Perth and Hobart, Australia, with a little bit of offshore. Usually on yachts between 25 and 35' in length.

Motor sport: It's been both my job and my hobby. I built two rally cars and participated in autocross, rallies and track club days. I didn't do particularly well, but had a lot of fun. In the right hands, however, the car was plenty fast.

But mainly it has been bicycles for the past 15 years. Pastime, job, transport, sport, travel. It's all been great fun.
Old 11-10-12, 11:15 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Rowan,
When y'all get to Louisiana consider taking a day trip to Pensacola to see the Gulf and our sugar sand beaches. I'll buy the coffee for you and Machka if you do get the chance, you both are certainly welcome at our home.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 11-10-12, 06:59 PM
BR46

Bikes: Trek , Fisher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BR46
Things I like to do
Playing guitar.
Riding and racing motorcycles.
Metal working.
Going to add to the list
Indoor rock climbing

My wife went last night for the first time and got hooked so it looks like we are going to do a lot more climbing.
Old 11-11-12, 11:47 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Rowan,
When y'all get to Louisiana consider taking a day trip to Pensacola to see the Gulf and our sugar sand beaches. I'll buy the coffee for you and Machka if you do get the chance, you both are certainly welcome at our home.

Bill
Thanks for the invitation, Bill. Machka's amenable to the idea. We will be in Lousiana in the week prior to and including Thanskgiving, so we will contact you via PM about then to arrange things!!
Old 11-12-12, 02:17 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Now that I'm retired, I work a couple of days a week in a hobby shop .................. which of course is like an addict working in a meth lab.

I first flew RC planes in 1967 and began racing RC cars in 1973. These days most of my flying is with relatively small planes and helicopters either in my yard or at a local soccer field. Between that, a smattering of plastic modeling in the cold months and building the occasional bicycle I manage to stay busy.
Old 11-12-12, 08:20 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Reading
Listening to Music
Movies
Amatuer astronomy - old LX-50 Meade SCT and 10x50 Celestron Ultima binocs
Photography
Videography and movie editing

oh, yeah, and riding my bike.

Sadly, between work and commitments to my daughter's activities, I don't get much time to enjoy my hobbies.
Old 11-13-12, 07:21 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by Rowan
Thanks for the invitation, Bill. Machka's amenable to the idea. We will be in Lousiana in the week prior to and including Thanskgiving, so we will contact you via PM about then to arrange things!!
Rowan,
I'll be waiting for your P.M. if you and Machka can work things out. Work space, my bike stand and tools in the garage will be all yours should you need. Monica said she would enjoy meeting both of you and if it is possible you are welcome, even if it is only to meet up for a meal and coffee or what ever you two decide.

Bill

Old 11-13-12, 09:45 AM
FMB42

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Preferred hobbies: wasting time on the Internet (I'm semi-retired), watching The History Channel and other similar TV shows, writing (aviation and PC technical), electronics (PCs and Linux based operating system configuration), bicycles (MTB, SS, electric), motorcycles (HD XLH military "tribute" (and future "street tracker"), home audio (speaker building, micro recording studio, playing the guitar badly), light metal and wood work (bench top milling machine, table saw, etc), RC aircraft and helicopters (with off-road trucks and buggies on the "I want" list).

Non-preferred hobbies: yard work, home and vehicle maintenance.
Old 11-13-12, 11:39 AM
BeSelfPropelled
Bicycle Evangelist

Bikes: Schwinn Home Grown Hard Tail, Schwinn Home Grown 4 Banger, Torelli Spada Road Bike, Santana Arriva Tandem, Dyno Cruiser - Single Rider Tandem Length Crusier, Trek 400 - My Commuter Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Besides biking, I play golf, I'm trying to learn to play the guitar and I enjoy a good game of Texas Holdem. My wife and I recently celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary by renewing our vows, in Vegas, with Elvis of course:

Our anniversary happened to be the same week as the InterBike trade show so I got to check out the latest bike stuff while in Vegas.

I also decided to get into blogging and developed 2 sites:

Be Self Propelled (about cycling of course) and
Johnny on Energy (about energy efficiency)

If you like what you see be sure click on the like buttons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
smaller elvis 1.jpg (80.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-14-12, 03:57 AM
Schwinnhund
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I am a full-time musician, and freelance writer. I also fish,m hike, fly fish, tie flies and practice primitive skills like flint-knapping, making bows and arrows, altatls, slingshots, slings, and general mischief.

Old 11-14-12, 05:44 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnhund
I am a full-time musician, and freelance writer. I also fish,m hike, fly fish, tie flies and practice primitive skills like flint-knapping, making bows and arrows, altatls, slingshots, slings, and general mischief.

Well, how about some audio?
Old 11-14-12, 02:31 PM
Schwinnhund
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I am not sure how to post audio here, but here is a link to my webpage, with songs on it.

https://www.gigsalad.com/joel_clyde_cleveland/audio

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Well, how about some audio?
Old 11-14-12, 02:36 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
I am not sure how to post audio here, but here is a link to my webpage, with songs on it.

Awright! That's some good stuff there!
Old 11-14-12, 03:56 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts

Dan Burkhart
Awright! That's some good stuff there!
+1 great music!
Old 11-14-12, 04:11 PM
mrosenlof
Slowpoke

Bikes: old Stumpjumper, Riv Simple One, Riv Cheviot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I play classical Japanese music on a bamboo flute called a Shakuhachi.

Old 11-14-12, 04:15 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
Just going through some changes in lifestyle recently. Bikes have only been part of it the last couple of years. Before that was sailing,cruising and sailboat racing. Now I have an inflatable kayak for watersports. The sailboat morphed into various camper vans, a Class A motorhome, travel trailer and most recently another camper van (class B).

Travel is important and we usually spend 2-4 months away from home. The Triumph TR7 and camera hobby fill up the time not taken by family.
Attached Images
tr8wall-6.jpg (90.3 KB, 23 views)
images35.jpg (7.8 KB, 18 views)
DSCF0431.jpg (94.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 11-20-12, 07:53 PM
dennismont

Bikes: Giant Escape 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started riding about 6 months ago and found my way to this forum. I have been lurking around here for a few months just soaking up the overwhelming information. Being mid 50s, I particularly enjoy the 50+ forum. My primary career is woodworking. I sell crafts online and at shows throughout the year. I also play golf regularly and play to an 8 -10 handicap depending on the time of the year.

I try to ride my bike every other day, but the online Christmas buying season has started causing me to spend all my time in the shop making saw dust. The best I have been able to do for the past month has been once a week, usually 25 - 30 miles.

You can see my work at https://www.etsy.com/shop/appcraftsmen
Old 11-20-12, 08:12 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Nice woodworking!!
Old 11-21-12, 03:04 PM
Konasutra

Bikes: Kona Sutra , Seven Axiom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When not cycling i spend my time working on my Model Trains. used to spend all my time Fly-Fishing and Tying flies. Only get out and do that a few times a year now. Here is a video of my N Scale trains. I also model the HOn3 scale and an doing a layout of some of the narrow gauge RR in SW Colorado.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jkun...=ULyi3ncEgA0rA
Old 11-21-12, 05:04 PM
oldster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dennismont
I started riding about 6 months ago and found my way to this forum. I have been lurking around here for a few months just soaking up the overwhelming information. Being mid 50s, I particularly enjoy the 50+ forum. My primary career is woodworking. I sell crafts online and at shows throughout the year. I also play golf regularly and play to an 8 -10 handicap depending on the time of the year.

I try to ride my bike every other day, but the online Christmas buying season has started causing me to spend all my time in the shop making saw dust. The best I have been able to do for the past month has been once a week, usually 25 - 30 miles.

You can see my work at https://www.etsy.com/shop/appcraftsmen
Nice stuff...I also have a complete WWshop in the garage,built all the kitchen stuff and most of the furniture in the house,and also make custom pool/-billiard cues(3 cushionbilliards),only old guys even know what that is....
Bud
Old 12-08-12, 06:09 AM
tjkoko

Bikes: Rockhopper, Azor Oma cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Domestic activities include bread baking. Also I cure and smoke pork bellies into bacon. Ain't nothing like the home made stuff. Some of you out there, if you're truly interested in pork products such as fermented and aged meats, might find entertaining a group called "The Salt Cured Pig" over at facebook. Also I make a high fat yogurt, 60% half-and-half and 40% regular cows milk. I'm a foodie in other words.
Old 12-08-12, 06:46 AM
ctg492

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Running, Gardening, Dogs and more Dogs, Sewing, Walking dogs, X Country Skiing, Each year attempting a new outdoor sport, daily trying to learn something new by researching and reading about the topic, taking online classes on a topic I know nothing about that sounds interesting at the given moment. Too be honest not enough hours in the day and when the day is over I am thankful for another day, but am sad that one more day is gone.
Old 12-08-12, 08:26 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

+1 for tjkoko on bread making!!! The meats sound pretty good, but I cannot have them, rats. How hard is the yogurt making to do?

Bill

Old 12-08-12, 08:31 AM
ctg492

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tjkoko : Why high fat yogurt? I always have a batch going, so much better then the store stuff.
Old 12-08-12, 08:32 AM
tjkoko

Bikes: Rockhopper, Azor Oma cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
.. How hard is the yogurt making to do? Bill
8)

@Bill: Heat milk to approx 180F: scald it. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes and then stir into the milk 2 - 3 TBS of plain yogurt. Most any plain high quality yogurt will work. Like cheese, yogurt is actually a bacterial culture.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.