Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Other Hobbies and Avocations - Newer Folks to the Forum

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Other Hobbies and Avocations - Newer Folks to the Forum

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-12, 08:34 AM
tjkoko

Bikes: Rockhopper, Azor Oma cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ctg492
tjkoko : Why high fat yogurt? I always have a batch going, so much better then the store stuff.
To me it tastes better and I like the creamy mouthfeel.
Old 12-08-12, 08:36 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Thanks much TJ, I eat yogurt daily for my digestive system at my pharmacist suggestion. Can fruits be added to your recipe without any harm to the taste? I am going to try this with my wife and yogurt partner.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 12-08-12, 08:44 AM
tjkoko

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Thanks much TJ, I eat yogurt daily for my digestive system at my pharmacist suggestion. Can fruits be added to your recipe without any harm to the taste? I am going to try this with my wife and yogurt partner.

Bill
Fruits are added when served. Sometimes I'll mix plain yogurt with trubinado sugar aka Sugar In the Raw or, as in the middle east and India, mix plain yogurt with cucumbers, some onions and tomatos.

Checkout yogurt makers as well. I use an old unit made by Salton (from ebay). Once heated, the milk is placed into the five jars for incubation. Depending on incubation temperature, the final product emerges after five to twelve hours of incubation.
Old 12-08-12, 09:45 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame

Bill
You have a wife AND a yogurt partner?

Something smells rotten here. I hope it isn't the yogurt.
Old 12-08-12, 11:30 AM
oldster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjkoko
Domestic activities include bread baking. Also I cure and smoke pork bellies into bacon. Ain't nothing like the home made stuff. Some of you out there, if you're truly interested in pork products such as fermented and aged meats, might find entertaining a group called "The Salt Cured Pig" over at facebook. Also I make a high fat yogurt, 60% half-and-half and 40% regular cows milk. I'm a foodie in other words.
guess I am not the only on who buys flour 100 pounds at a time,50 high gluten ,50 medium
the HG also makes really good pizza dough
Bud
Old 12-08-12, 11:36 AM
tjkoko

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oldster
guess I am not the only on who buys flour 100 pounds at a time,50 high gluten ,50 medium
the HG also makes really good pizza dough
Bud
When I lived in Greenwood Village out there I'd drive to the ROCKY MOUNTAIN FLOUR MILL located in Greeley to purchase sacks of freshly milled flour. And let me state that there's nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, like sticking one's face into a sack of freshly milled flour. Soooooooooo creamy the aroma.

That said, flour there for pick up costed approx $12 for a fifty pound sack. Now that I live in the deep south I used White Lily, a soft wheat. Still it makes good bread compared to the RMFM stuff.
Old 12-08-12, 11:53 AM
oldster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I lived in Greenwood Village out there I'd drive to the ROCKY MOUNTAIN FLOUR MILL located in Greeley to purchase sacks of freshly milled flour. And let me state that there's nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, like sticking one's face into a sack of freshly milled flour. Soooooooooo creamy the aroma.

That said, flour there for pick up costed approx $12 for a fifty pound sack. Now that I live in the deep south I used White Lily, a soft wheat. Still it makes good bread compared to the RMFM stuff.
Ihave been up there and bought flour from them, its good stuff,but I just go to the restaurant supply place now and save the trip up there,
Bud(i am just north of Greenwood a few blocks,,,)
Old 12-08-12, 12:10 PM
Old Sarge

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am new to the forum here. As I said on the Intro thread, I am a seventy year old, recently (one year the end of this month) retiree from forty-five years in law enforcement. After several years of nagging by my doctor I decided to start riding a bicycle for exercise/fitness. I am not only seventy years old, I'm seventy pounds over weight (and that isn't the only bad number I have). And today, at the LBS, I discovered I am not really flexible enough to get on a bicycle. Feels like I pulled a muscle trying. So I bought a woman's model Specialized Expedition Sport (it is alright to laugh at this point). Starting December 26 I guess I will be a bicycle rider. (I actually enjoyed riding it around the LBS parking lot.)

My principle hobby, for most of my life, has been photography. I actually had a darkroom set up before I owned a camera. I was about ten years old and earned money from a paper route (which I ran on a bike). Can you imagine parents letting a ten year old deliver papers in today's world? I have taught some basic photography courses as well as law enforcement photography courses.

When not traveling and taking pictures, I spend much of my time on church activities.
Old 12-08-12, 12:22 PM
tjkoko

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Sarge
I am new to the forum here. As I said on the Intro thread, I am a seventy year old, recently (one year the end of this month) retiree from forty-five years in law enforcement. After several years of nagging by my doctor I decided to start riding a bicycle for exercise/fitness. I am not only seventy years old, I'm seventy pounds over weight (and that isn't the only bad number I have). And today, at the LBS, I discovered I am not really flexible enough to get on a bicycle. Feels like I pulled a muscle trying. So I bought a woman's model Specialized Expedition Sport (it is alright to laugh at this point). Starting December 26 I guess I will be a bicycle rider. (I actually enjoyed riding it around the LBS parking lot.)

My principle hobby, for most of my life, has been photography. I actually had a darkroom set up before I owned a camera. I was about ten years old and earned money from a paper route (which I ran on a bike). Can you imagine parents letting a ten year old deliver papers in today's world? I have taught some basic photography courses as well as law enforcement photography courses.

When not traveling and taking pictures, I spend much of my time on church activities.
I just love my Leica DLux4. Awsome b&w's. As a former chiro, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a male getting a step-thru frame because as we age we lose a lot of flexibility. And I myself am seriously considering getting a girl's bike as well. Great for long distance rides with a lot of weight strapped onto the rear of the bike: to mount the bike, it doesn't need as much tilt thus relieving the frame of stress.

And I work in maximum security. What ch*tte.
Old 12-08-12, 12:36 PM
oldster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just love my Leica DLux4. Awsome b&w's. As a former chiro, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a male getting a step-thru frame because as we age we lose a lot of flexibility. And I myself am seriously considering getting a girl's bike as well. Great for long distance rides with a lot of weight strapped onto the rear of the bike: to mount the bike, it doesn't need as much tilt thus relieving the frame of stress.

And I work in maximum security. What ch*tte.
Ialso have a complete color /bw darkroom inthe basement,along withlots andlots of negsfilm etc.my first camera was a leica that my dad got in ww2,the most interesting one, however is the 8x10view camera got a few digital things ,but dont use em much,,,
Bud
Old 12-08-12, 12:50 PM
tjkoko

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ialso have a complete color /bw darkroom inthe basement,along withlots andlots of negsfilm etc.my first camera was a leica that my dad got in ww2,the most interesting one, however is the 8x10view camera got a few digital things ,but dont use em much,,,
Bud
I've seen some really neat things done with platinum emulsions.
Old 12-08-12, 03:04 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
Just call them a unisex bike. I just aquired a vintage CCM "Mixte" frame and plan to use it a lot. When Mrs browng and I bought our new folders this summer we joked that we would likely ride them the longest as they are a semi step-thru design and easier to mount.

I now shoot with a Sony Alpha 200 DSLR that has superceded my beloved old Ricoh and Minolta Maxxum 7000.
Old 12-08-12, 03:04 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Welcome, Old Sarge (soon to be just "Sarge" or "Young Sarge"). Enjoy the forum.

I am the proud owner of an Argus C3 (my dad's) which hasn't taken a picture in maybe 40 years?? One of the original 35mm cameras, as I understand.

Also, you might want to check out the Clydesdale forum as there are some great resources and support for weight loss there.

As far as getting your leg over the seat, don't worry. Tilting the bike a bit more may help and your flexibility ought to increase as you add flexibility training to your goals and workout along with endurance and strengthening. For now, the step-through is just great.
Old 12-08-12, 04:24 PM
Old Sarge

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
As far as getting your leg over the seat, don't worry. Tilting the bike a bit more may help and your flexibility ought to increase as you add flexibility training to your goals and workout along with endurance and strengthening. For now, the step-through is just great.
My darling bride said that if I keep at it and get more flexible I can consider another bike next year (she tends to indulge me...perhaps over indulge me....we were above fifty when God brought us together). I remember the old Argus cameras. In fact, I sold a few when I was fifteen and started working at a camera shop.
Old 12-08-12, 04:38 PM
tjkoko

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My darling bride said that if I keep at it and get more flexible I can consider another bike next year (she tends to indulge me...perhaps over indulge me....we were above fifty when God brought us together). I remember the old Argus cameras. In fact, I sold a few when I was fifteen and started working at a camera shop.
My sister just gave to me an Olympus OM1 with the stock lens. A great setup as far as film goeth.
Old 12-08-12, 05:45 PM
ctg492

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bill
The way I make yogurt is bring 4 cups milk to just below a boil. Remove from heat and let sit till 105-110 degrees f. Then gently add 2TBS yogurt gently mixed with 2 TBS milk that together has sat at room temp while the milk is getting ready. Cover and wrap in a towel and set in an oven with the oven light on, this seems to keep it warm enough. 8-12 hours later set in fridge, when cool it is either ready or that is when I strain it in a colander lined with coffee filters over a bowl. I strain it for the morning and then it is greek.
Old 12-08-12, 07:10 PM
tjkoko

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ctg492
Bill
The way I make yogurt is bring 4 cups milk to just below a boil. Remove from heat and let sit till 105-110 degrees f. Then gently add 2TBS yogurt gently mixed with 2 TBS milk that together has sat at room temp while the milk is getting ready. Cover and wrap in a towel and set in an oven with the oven light on, this seems to keep it warm enough. 8-12 hours later set in fridge, when cool it is either ready or that is when I strain it in a colander lined with coffee filters over a bowl. I strain it for the morning and then it is greek.

That a fine way to produce it. And if you strain it any longer and strain it through cheesecloth, then it's called "yogurt cheese" but is not as strongly flavored as, let's say, cream cheese.
Old 12-08-12, 09:23 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Old Sarge,
Anyone that at 70 is riding a bike, has given many years of service in Law Enforcement (my younger brother just retired from ECSD here as a LT) and works in their church has absolutely nothing to apologise for just because you are riding on a ladies, frame. I know of many men that use the low tube or women's frame for the reason you have, or other hip, back or knee problems. You are riding to get your health in a better condition, not to please some nut that wants to make remarks about such things. Welcome to BF and especially the 50+ forum, I really hope you will stick around here and keep us updated on how your riding and "Numbers" are doing. Ride Safe and Ride Lots.

CTG,Thanks for your recipe, I'll try both yours and Koko's recipes and see how they taste, it is a dark and lonely job but I am willing to make the sacrifice.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 12-12-12 at 08:55 PM. Reason: spelling and dyslexic fingers
Old 12-09-12, 02:49 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

Fooling around in the mountains
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1020302.jpg (102.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg
P1010499.jpg (102.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 12-11-12, 08:55 PM
oldster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ham radio(a W0/..wood working, checking the obits to see if I have another day or so,fly fishing,and am gonna try a few ski days soon(usedto do 60 days a year in the olden days
Bud
Old 12-12-12, 06:02 AM
tjkoko

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ham radio(a W0/..wood working, checking the obits to see if I have another day or so,fly fishing,and am gonna try a few ski days soon(usedto do 60 days a year in the olden days
Bud
I remember receiving 13 word per minute while applying for my general class radio license way back in '66! Oooohhh analogue.
Old 12-12-12, 06:11 AM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Training at the local mma gym. To be in good enough shape to survive the 16 year old's body slamming me to the mats in bjj notches things up a few levels.
Old 12-12-12, 07:56 AM
climberguy

Bikes: better than I deserve

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft

Fooling around in the mountains

Nice to see another climber here. Where is that aid climb? California? Looks like a nice line.
Old 12-12-12, 09:01 AM
Randy77

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take people fishing for a living, my office has an awesome view. We ride bikes as our hobby and fish as well.
Old 12-12-12, 12:50 PM
oldster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I remember receiving 13 word per minute while applying for my general class radio license way back in '66! Oooohhh analogue.
Yea, I did 20 for the xtra class backin 20010,but havent been doing much cw these days so probably couldnt do that today... 73,s
Bud

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.