Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Have you, or will you, relocate prior to retirement?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Have you, or will you, relocate prior to retirement?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-13, 06:05 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Nope. Pretty sure I'm gonna croak at work with my fingers frozen over my keyboard ... one of them hovering over the "Esc" key.

Old 07-05-13, 06:27 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
I've said to Machka I would live there in a heartbeat, but there are some significant immigration hurdles for me, plus the jobs don't pay as well as they do in Australia.
I'm hoping we've got that sorted. My wife and I both work in "desirable" professions, I've had four years of French in school, and best of all I'm already a dual-national with Canadian citizenship.
Old 07-05-13, 06:45 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Move before retirement? Not a chance.

I have 11 years until I can retire with a NY state pension. No way I'm going to deliberately mess that up.

True, I can move to any government job (for which I'm qualified) anywhere in the state. But I'd give up my seniority, and be back to the last hired, first fired rollercoaster that typified my first 30 years of employment.

I've never had job security before. Turns out, I kinda like it.
Old 07-05-13, 06:55 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
NO - we are going to stay right here. My children live here, and, for our son with a profound disability, it is imperative for us to be here. And, we also see our other son and daugher-in-law regularly and love seeing them, also.

We looked at options a few months back. Some friends have moved to one of the $6,000 per month retirement apartments - like a 3 story apartment building, 2 meals, movies, a van so they can drive you places, and an extra $100 per month to park a car - and a lot of folks just sort of sit around all day in expensive lounge chairs or attend some programs and classes.

First, we can't afford that. Second, I and my wife would be out of our frigging minds in about 5 minutes. I don't know how they can stand it. I have another friend who would move there in a second, but his wife won't.

We have no house payments, a very nice single story house - something to really consider as one gets older - a single story. I have my great "man cave" in the basement with a complete gym, office, etc. I pay $750 per year to have the lawn mowed weekly (I hate yard work). Cash flow wise, this is the cheapest we can do.

My back porch:

We live .5 miles from a wonderful MUP that is uncrowded and connects to 100's of miles of trails. We are 1.0 mile from a full recreation center, and 1.2 miles from a full shopping area - grocery and the like.
Yet, our neighborhood is relatively quiet and separated from busy streets and the like.

Yes, we have some snow, but nothing like folks think, and it almost always melts quickly, and the MUPS are plowed as soon as the roads. I can swim, walk, hike, bike almost from my back porch. We love the changes in the seasons! I participate in a great, unique singing group.

We have a church we love just 5 miles away, and accessible by MUP.

Staying where we are at 73 and 75 yo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0705131840.jpg (100.9 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-05-13 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-05-13, 07:13 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazarus Short
My wife and I relocated from Kansas City to Carlsbad, NM three years ago. Now, we're thinking of moving into the mountains near Ruidoso. Yeah, we're both retired.
Mysister lives in Ruidoso - lots of fire potential there, but otherwise she likes it.
Old 07-05-13, 07:15 PM
Pobble.808
alleged person

Bikes: 1970s Royal Scot 3-Speed, 2005 Breezer Villager 7-Speed IGH

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Retired last year and so far staying where we've been for the last 25 years: Honolulu. There are some downsides -- my wife and I have no relatives here, a lot of our friends have died or moved away, and the noise keeps getting worse. But we're just two blocks away from our favorite cycling course in the universe, and so far that has been the trump card. Plus I love being able to get to just about anyplace I want to go to by bike, year round. Maybe we'll reassess when we can't pedal up the hill any more.

If anybody had told me 20 or maybe even 10 years ago that cycling would be a deciding factor when it came time to make this call, I probably wouldn't have believed them, but there it is...
Old 07-05-13, 07:34 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I'm hoping we've got that sorted. My wife and I both work in "desirable" professions, I've had four years of French in school, and best of all I'm already a dual-national with Canadian citizenship.
I don't think you will need the French in BC. Punjabi would be more useful.
Old 07-05-13, 08:10 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not unless i hit the lottery -- and since I don't PLAY it................

BUT, a man can dream; if I could talk my sister into Bend, OR, we'd be good (her family lives with me, love the kids to DEATH!). She wants to build an Earthship home, I can adapt a plan I found on the www to either straight steel-frame, or round steel structure.

Reality is, in 15 years or so, we'll be lucky to be familiar with MEAT in our diets.
Old 07-05-13, 08:22 PM
oldster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
Not unless i hit the lottery -- and since I don't PLAY it................

BUT, a man can dream; if I could talk my sister into Bend, OR, we'd be good (her family lives with me, love the kids to DEATH!). She wants to build an Earthship home, I can adapt a plan I found on the www to either straight steel-frame, or round steel structure.

Reality is, in 15 years or so, we'll be lucky to be familiar with MEAT in our diets.
you just have to checkthe local code for ham antennas so you can work a sutiable amount ofDX,,bud,a w0

Last edited by oldster; 07-05-13 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-05-13, 08:30 PM
Randy Bosma
Grandpa with spunk

Bikes: (See sig block)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gwb2407
... Long story short, summer of 2011 my dog Ace and I moved to Payson, Arizona. We're nestled in rolling hills and Pine trees, and at 5000 feet we don't get the blast furnace-like summer heat of the lower elevations. The biking is wonderful, as is the climate, and other than being isolated in a small town I have not regretted the move.
Did you enjoy the company of 100+ Sea to Sea cyclists this past weekend? From what I hear, they enjoyed your town.
Old 07-05-13, 08:59 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'll be retiring in a year or two, as soon as my current project runs its course. My #1 son, DIL and 2 grandsons are 25 miles away and #2 son, DIL and other grandson are moving this way so I'm not about to leave Northern California. If we didn't have four horses I'd sure look for a simpler place as wife and I are in our late 60's, but we're not about to park these pets in a retirement home. I have one of the last of the defined benefit plans (frozen a few years ago), savings and Social Security so in combination with late retirement we can stay where we are. We're 20 miles from the ocean as the crow flies so the next big quake could increase our property values quite a bit!
Old 07-05-13, 09:18 PM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
So, after my first heart attack I decided to scale back on work -- self-employed consultant type -- since it involved lots of travel to small out of the way places without easy access to emergency medical care. Anyway, by the time I was 65, I had just about convinced the folks that for the past 20 years I had told I could do anything anytime they wanted, that I was really not working much anymore. So, now I no longer work for money, but if I wanted to move somewhere else other than Northern California, it would be difficult because my wife has five more years to reach medicare age and she has a medical history -- cancer --- that all but precludes getting affordable health insurance anywhere but where we are.

That is the major reason we are where we are and will likely stay until health insurance stuff sorts itself out. If you have any pre-existing conditions that may or (depending on the new health care laws) may not affect where you can live, then that becomes one of those issues that affect where you can consider living.

YMMV
Old 07-05-13, 09:41 PM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by metalheart44
....but if I wanted to move somewhere else other than Northern California....

YMMV
That's just crazy talk.
Old 07-05-13, 10:08 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Not likely I will ever be able to retire. I was born in Southern California, and lived in this area Oceanside/Carlsbad off an on-mostly on-since I was thirteen. I would not be that interested in leaving. I did leave for about ten years for Metro L.A., first to Long Beach, then to the San Fernando Valley. Traumatic job loss (involved whistle blowing on a "Technical Institute" that shall not be named. The crooks beat the rap) had me selling my place halfway up the housing bubble for enough money for a "trial retirement" to Pahrump Nevada. Housing was cheap-I paid cash for a place on an acre. It was also depressing. I lasted eight months.

Toward the end of my Nevada "walkabout" I was contacted by my high school reunion committee's "official class stalker". I wound up going to the thirty year, my first, in '04. That Stalker and I hooked up and have been together since. She is too connected to the community to ever want to leave, and through her, I have re-connected big time.

We had some friends retire to Prescott AZ. We have been there several times and like the area. It is also pretty bike friendly. We even looked at houses, mostly in neighboring, and more affordable, Prescott Valley. The drive up there took us through the small town of Yarnell. I imagined living there. It seemed a nice place. Too bad what happened there in the last week.

Where we are, Oceanside, has about the lowest cost of living of any coastal town in Southern California, but still considerably higher than Prescott, and over twice that of Pahrump. I guess you get what you pay for. Neighboring Carlsbad, where wife and I met in 8th grade is one of the highest.

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 07-05-13 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-05-13, 10:17 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Gump
I just noticed your about 20 miles from me.
That is pretty cool and a small world...
Old 07-05-13, 10:19 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
By lake side - I mean Watertown - the Great lakes.
Watertown is just a few miles from Lake Ontario and maybe less than 30 from the St Lawrence River.

I'm in Brownville...
Old 07-05-13, 10:26 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Retired 18 years ago.
Did not move.
Everything was paid for and we like where we live in southern AZ.
We do spend 3 months somewhere 'up north' to get away from our warm summers.
Currently in northern Utah enjoying life/retirement and cool temps.
Old 07-05-13, 10:43 PM
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
That is one weird list. Pittsburgh? Buffalo? Nice places I guess, but winters there are no fun.

I did enjoy a recent visit to Pittsburgh; Phipps Conservatory and the surrounding park were lovely, and the strip was pretty cool. My daughter hates the winters there.

I live in Louisville. The cost of living is relatively low and we have the Kentucky Center for the Arts and the new basketball arena and the NCAA champions in most sports at U of L. Public transportation isn't very good. I'd call the city bicycle-supportive rather than bicycle friendly. The Louisville Loop, when completed, will be 100 miles long, the place where all Freds, clueless joggers, and women of girth walking three abreast will go to spend their last days.

But heck, I'm thinking about Ft. Myers or New Smyrna.
Really weird. Only one city west of the Mississippi? And nothing in the sun belt? I wouldn't go out of my way to visit most of the cities they had on that list. I think I'll make my own list.
Old 07-05-13, 10:58 PM
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
But it is hard to give up a small town close to the mountains and the beach so I found my place.
Too bad it's in California.
Old 07-05-13, 11:09 PM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm trapped in Vancouver since I can't move to the US and there are no other habitable cities in Canada. Yuck. If I could move, I'd live in upstate NY. Maybe south Jersey. As it is, I visit/cycle there when I can. (Got tickets to Army-Stanford in September!)
Old 07-06-13, 05:08 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by dan burkhart
i don't think you will need the french in bc. Punjabi would be more useful.
lol
Old 07-06-13, 08:18 AM
gwb2407
DuckFan

Bikes: Cannondale Caad9 1, Cannondale Caad9 5, Cannondale Quick CX 1, 1986 Cannondale SR800, 1997 Cannondale F700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Bosma
Did you enjoy the company of 100+ Sea to Sea cyclists this past weekend? From what I hear, they enjoyed your town.
Wasn't aware of any cyclists through Payson, but that doesn't mean much. I generally refer to myself as a 'recluse', as other than a morning walk/hike with Ace (the wonder dog) and a bike ride for myself, I pretty much stay hunkered down at my house. This is especially true during the summer months. Sorry I missed it, though.
Old 07-06-13, 09:10 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I don't think you will need the French in BC. Punjabi would be more useful.
Well, French language proficiency is required for foreigners applying for Canadian citizenship.
Old 07-06-13, 09:13 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Well, French language proficiency is required for foreigners applying for Canadian citizenship.
I did not know that. Good thing for me I'm already here. My wife on the other hand is fluid in French.
Old 07-06-13, 10:05 AM
GeorgeBaby

Bikes: 2005 Bike Friday NWT, Bacchetta Giro 26, 2019 Titanium Bilenky Midlands

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
According to https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language.asp, proficiency in either English or French is acceptable. Where do you see the requirement for French?

Last edited by GeorgeBaby; 07-06-13 at 10:09 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.