Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Upright position hybrid/ fitness bike

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-22, 07:15 PM
steelyvelo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for an uright position hybrid/ fitness bike for rough asphalt, groomed fire roads, dirt, and gravel. Prefer Shimano 105 or Tiagra 4700 but can live with Deore. Looking at Trek Verve 3 and adding better bars, seat, and pedals vs a Specialized Rolls Elite or Rolls 3.0 Like Sirrus X 4.5 or Trek FX 4/5 components but want more upright bike

Also on Verve 3 or Rolls 3.0, what pedals, seats, posts/bars, and upgrades would improve it? Realy want an upright Verve 3 with FX 5.0 components. And upright bikes have Shimano 105?
Old 02-05-22, 07:33 PM
bmwpowere36m3

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Sirrus X bikes have an upright position... my x 5.0 has a mix of SLX, Praxis and Sunrace components. The components are decent, with SLX being the MTB equivalent of 105. Only criticism would be the brakes, could be better and don't care of 3-finger lever.
Old 02-05-22, 08:25 PM
steelyvelo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sirrus X sounds more upright and better on gravel than the Trek FX series. Is X 4.0 that much of a downgrade with Deore and aluminum frame? Look like a better spec than the Verve 3 disc.
Old 02-06-22, 10:03 AM
bmwpowere36m3

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
It depends on what's important to you... whether its a downgrade or not. My wife's x 3.0, Deore components, shifts very well and have no complaints. Going to SLX, XT, XTR is really weight and durability. I will say XT shift "feel" is super crisp...

x 4.0 vs. x 5.0
Alum vs. Carbon frame
11 spd vs. 12 spd
Deore vs. SLX/Praxis/Sunrace
Pathfinder Sport vs. Pro (sport is not tubeless ready)
Old 02-08-22, 09:11 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I think it may be good to define the term "upright". A Verve and Roll is a much different bike than a Sirrus. A Sirrus is more akin to an FX or an Escape and is not designed for an upright bike the way a Verve or a Roll is. A Crossroads will probably be Specialized's closest analog to a Trek Verve. None of those comfort-focused bikes will have a higher end road group on it, but I'd recommend focusing more on what you need out of a bike in terms of riding position than the bolt-on components. It's pretty easy to change components, and much more difficult to change the bike's basic geometry. You certainly can configure a Sirrus to be relatively upright, but its basic geometry will still be more of a fitness bike.

If you find Verve and Roll to be comfortable, Sirrus will probably feel relatively low-slung (or leaned forward...however you might describe that). And if you find Verve and Roll to be comfortable to ride, then I'd suggest considering buying one of them and then upgrading the drivetrain components to your liking.