Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What do your neighbors really think?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-13, 07:28 AM
NOS88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

This morning I left early. So, my commute started before daylight (unusual in late Feb. for me). My neighbor John works construction. So, he's almost leaving his house around 5:30 a.m. I'm pushing off down my driveway when he opens his front door and see me. He waves and then shakes his head while smiling. John's about 25 years younger than me and a strong, fit person. Yet, on more than one occassion he's asked why I ride year round. I've told him, it's because I get cranky when I don't. He just smiles and shakes his head. It makes me wonder what he really thinks and what the other neighbors think since they often do the same... smile, wave, and shake their heads.

Edit: Oops. Sorry about the title. It should read, "What do your neighbors really think?"

Update: I had a chance to speak with John later in the day. I told him he was shaking his head when he waved in the moring. He laughed and said, "I was thinking, wow. I'm not the only one up this early." I said, that I thought maybe it was about my commuting by bicycle. He laughed once again and said, "No, when we moved in Brett & Lauren (another set of neighbors) told us that you were a biker. At first I thought that meant you had motorcycles. But it was clear after the first few weeks they meant bicycles."

Last edited by NOS88; 02-27-13 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-26-13, 07:48 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Some of mine have thought I was a bit wacky for years.

The usual question I get from casual acquaintances is "you still riding your bike?" It's usually a bit derisive. This, despite the fact that I also do triathlon. Keep in mind, I live in a small CnTX town of 8,000 or so. Folks really like to ask this in cold weather, as if you can't ski or do snow sports in cold weather.

Then, as a Board member of the local Chamber of Commerce, I started up a yearly ride that, the first year, drew 125 people, 80 out-of-towners. This year it will probably bring 600-800 people to town, some for two days of riding, and now I'm not so wacky. In fact, I constantly get offers to help.
Old 02-26-13, 08:25 AM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I don't commute but when they see me leave then arrive home 6 or 8 hours later they give me that (are you crazy or stupid?) head shake.

I had one say once "You are either committed or should be!" That tells me what he is really thinking.
Old 02-26-13, 08:32 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I really wouldnt worry about what your neighbors or other people think. Most of them dont anyway!!!
Old 02-26-13, 08:44 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
I don't care what they think, as long as they stay off my lawn...j/k! Most of mine think it's great that I ride, but so far I haven't been able to convince anyone to join me.
Old 02-26-13, 09:15 AM
pursuance

Bikes: Bicycles

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'll suit-up and ride in the not so cold SoCal rain. That gets the heads nodding as if to say nut-case.

Beer gutted neighbor, cigarette in one hand, beer in the other, as I'm leaving, "be careful out there." Say what!(i'm thinking) Poor guy is about 52 w/one foot in the grave.
His Sister is having chemo & still smokes! Nunya business, so leave it along John.

The 1/2 mile ride home from grocery shopping is when it really happens. I look like a tramp.
Gallon of 1% milk on each bar end and the rack with 10# of potatoes + 1/2 dozen bags draped over it.
The 80# bike.
Old 02-26-13, 09:28 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I don't think my neighbors have ever noticed. Oh, wait, one kid from across the street walked over to give us a flier for the charity ride his church was doing.

So, okay, maybe some have noticed. But none have ever said anything, even when they see me leave for work in the 5:30AM darkness, occasional rain or whatever.

They probably just think we're "Bicycle People"and leave us alone . . . mostly harmless.

Rick / OCRR
Old 02-26-13, 09:32 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
My neighbor thinks I'm nuts for riding 35 miles a day. He primarily works from home but has to go to his office twice a week and complains about the 28 mile, one way drive. He can't comprehend me riding a bike further than his drive to the office. When I tell him of my 50 and 60 mile rides he just shakes his head. I really enjoy talking to him about my rides because I look at my 66 year old, 145 lb. body that doesn't take medications and then look at his 55 year old, overweight body with severe dunlop at the waistline, who takes medications and say, "That's why I do it!"

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 02-26-13, 09:39 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I'm not sure a construction worker is a fair choice for this comparison. They work long days and get pleanty of exercise while hauling heavy equipment around. I wouldn't feel bad if my construction worker neighbor (roofing) shook his head. The retail sales clerk on the other side of him however is another case. Him I try to convince that a "ride" isn't mowing the lawn on Sunday.

I don't commute, but since I'm retired, most of my neighbors are used to seeing me on the road(s). Most of them feel it's good that an old geezer can still get around like that. The rest wonder how come I look 15 years younger than I am.
Old 02-26-13, 10:01 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Our neighbors think it's great. It's my family that think I'm nuts.

Well, not my wife and kids. My mother and siblings do.

I had a crash in 2008 (blown tire) in which I broke my clavicle in two places, broke several ribs, got a minor punctured lung, and some nasty road rash, some of it scraping down to the bone.

Spent a couple of days in the hospital (I think they were concerned about the pneumothorax), and when I got home, my sister looked at my slinged and bandaged self and quipped:

"Maybe this will finally knock some sense into him."

Which got nodding recognition from my other siblings. My wife laughed:

"If you really believe that, you don't know him very well."

Old 02-26-13, 10:03 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,841 Times in 2,232 Posts
I don't know what they think, but I've never seen any of my (adult) neighbors on a bicycle.
Old 02-26-13, 10:04 AM
jmccain

Bikes: Kvale, Peugeot, Cervelo, Bridgestone

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They think of me with awe and envy.

At least, that's what I think they think.
Old 02-26-13, 10:13 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by pursuance
I'll suit-up and ride in the not so cold SoCal rain. That gets the heads nodding as if to say nut-case.
Some of those same people probably go snow skiing and think nothing of it.
Old 02-26-13, 10:19 AM
RedC

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the most part, they've been pretty supportive. We've got a handful of roadies in the neighborhood dozens of cruiser type bikers. When I first started using clipless pedals I fell right in front of my garage and the neighbors rushed over thinking I had had a heart attack. But when they realized I was actually tying my feet to the pedals they walked away shaking their heads
Old 02-26-13, 10:27 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Our neighbors saw us riding and last summer started riding a little bit themselves. Don't know if they'll pick it up again this year.
Old 02-26-13, 10:45 AM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of my neighbors are active in some sort of outdoor activity. A couple are cyclists. I usually get the nod for being the oddball because of my past touring exploits. My last tour I rode through two days of hurricane related weather to complete a tour turning down numerous offers of rescue.
Old 02-26-13, 10:54 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I really wouldnt worry about what your neighbors or other people think. Most of them dont anyway!!!
That's not been my experience at all.
Old 02-26-13, 10:59 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
The only comment I've ever gotten was "Wow, your light is really bright!"
I have a MagicShine that is indeed pretty darn bright for a bike light, and I commute year around.

At the college I'm often asked when it rains or is cold "Did you ride today?"
I think they like it when I say "yes." They are both proud and amazed.
Old 02-26-13, 11:09 AM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
No need to explain the bike riding to the neighbors, just driving a smart car explains it ALL
Old 02-26-13, 12:33 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Most of my neighbours thought I was mad. Took a while but I made the offer to one of them to come and join us on a Sunday. He ran in the other direction as there was no way he was going out with nutters like us as we were too fit but I set a bike up for him in the shed and told him to take it out anytime on his own. Took 2 years before he took up the offer and 18 months later--I don't ride with him as he is too fit. Another neighbour wanted to get into cycling and I loaned him a bike. He is a gym fanatic and his 3rd ride was a 65 miler with hills. He said it killed him but looked at his computer and no wonder he was tired. 3hrs for a metric is good in anyones eyes. He has his own bike now but only rides in the summer when he is not playing Rugby or Football or running for the local athletics club.

The other neighbours still think I am mad but I now have friends.

Spike Milligan
Old 02-26-13, 01:23 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't gotten any negative comments or looks from my neighbors...

But I have to admit to being intimidated a little: When it's cold and flurrying a little it may be fine to ride -- but I think: "My neighbors will KNOW I'm crazy!" -- and so I talk myself out of it.

What a Whimp!
Old 02-26-13, 01:30 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I only have 2 immediate sets of neighbors.. the place next door is my parents (my father is a rec rider), and on the other side is my brother in law and sisters place (BIL used to MTB race and is a serious road rider) sooooooooo I get nothing but support.
Old 02-26-13, 01:37 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
My neighbors think, "If his damn dog poops on my lawn one more time I'm going to put the turd in his mailbox."

Regarding cycling, I ride a bent, so I'm not going to be nominated for the Average Joe of the Year award.

They do note that sometimes I'm gone for hours and come back really tired. I think they just feel sorry for me, to be honest.

Old 02-26-13, 02:00 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Train station is only 2.5 miles away for me --so I can be brave and do heavy snow and super cold. Some of my neighbors are starting to ride (or thinking about it). Cool.
Old 02-26-13, 02:07 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Living in apartments you have too many neighbors too close to get into everyone else's business so I don't get much feedback. I'm not sure I want to know what they think about it in private... A few years ago a kid asked me if I was a bum (I told him I didn't have to drive to work every day because I was computer smart, and I think he bought it) but most of them give me a cheery Hey Mr Bill. It all reflects their parents' attitudes at home so I imagine the opinions run the whole gamut.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.