Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I think I may be becoming a Grumpy Old Man.....(Rant)...slightly off topic.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-13, 04:16 PM
Shp4man

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts

I live in San Diego, with some very congested freeways, especially at rush hour.
After a recent fender bender (in my pickup) in which some goofy woman cut me off, then slammed on the brakes to avoid another brainless idiot that cut her off - they determined that it was my fault. I was the guy in back- so.
Needless to say, I was somewhat disappointed with this, since the fault lies squarely on the shoulders of the moron that cut off the woman in front of me. This has affected the way I drive, as now I trust absolutely no one to act in a reasonable manner on the road anymore, and if they screw up, it will somehow be determined to be "my fault".
And the worst part of it is that it's beginning to creep into daily life away from driving. It seems to me I spend a great deal of time each day dealing with the actions of defective, stupid, greedy or lazy individuals............ And I"M EFFING SICK OF IT!!

Is this how it begins?

Any advice you guys have will be considered and appreciated.
Old 06-04-13, 04:23 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Shp4man
...now I trust absolutely no one to act in a reasonable manner on the road anymore...
How long you lived in SoCal? I haven't trusted other drivers in decades.
Old 06-04-13, 04:25 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I don't know man.. I was in San Diego the other day and had to cut off a crazy lady that was trying to pass me. The guy behind her hit her with his truck so I just drove off. Idiots.
Old 06-04-13, 04:33 PM
Shp4man

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
I don't know man.. I was in San Diego the other day and had to cut off a crazy lady that was trying to pass me. The guy behind her hit her with his truck so I just drove off. Idiots.
Old 06-04-13, 04:49 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Any advice you guys have will be considered and appreciated.
Sounds like zero fun is being had.

Vacation?
Retirement?
Meditation?
A nice Merlot?
Hard core driving instruction?
Hang a heavy boxing bag in the garage?
Quality time with a significant other?
More cycling?
Old 06-04-13, 04:53 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts

I can relate to this. Not only has old age turned me into a fussbudget crab, I've was also threatened with full responsibility for an accident I did not cause. In my case, someone dropped a vacuum cleaner off a truck on a 4 lane interstate. Rather than hit the vacuum cleaner, the car in front of me decided to test their ABS system from 70 MPH.

Theirs was better than mine.

My insurance company proposed to find me 100% at fault. I asked them:

"So ... you're telling me that if you were able to identify who dropped that vacuum on the freeway, you wouldn't be going after them for the damage?"

Old 06-04-13, 04:53 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling
How long you lived in SoCal? I haven't trusted other drivers in decades.
I have absolute faith in motorists. I firmly believe that most of them will do the stupidest thing that I can think of. Sometimes I encounter some who test my faith, either by being more creative than I am or by actually driving according to the vehicle code. I think these latter ones are just messing with me.

I don't know if this is how it starts, but it is certainly part of the journey.
Old 06-04-13, 05:10 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Anticipate mistakes,
Keep a reasonable following distance, three car lengths at 50 mph don't cut it,
And if your running tight/tailgating so no one will cut in front of you YOUR an IDIOT and should be charged.
Always keep an escape route open,

And If a crash is coming protect your front end at all cost.....

OP,, Your not a Grumpy Old Man your a wise Old Man and YES This Nation, the People who OWN this country want us stupid....
Old 06-04-13, 05:10 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by gcottay
Sounds like zero fun is being had.

Vacation?
Retirement?
Meditation?
A nice Merlot?
Hard core driving instruction?
Hang a heavy boxing bag in the garage?
Quality time with a significant other?
More cycling?
Grab a Mangria and listen to Adam Carolla's podcast. Boy howdy, he can complain about anything.

Old 06-04-13, 08:02 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
I live in San Diego, with some very congested freeways, especially at rush hour...Any advice you guys have will be considered and appreciated.
I was in love with San Diego when I lived there. Spent my Navy years there, got my undergraduate degree from SDSU, left and came back to work and live in Escondido. I always thought that I wanted to retire there; that there was no better climate in the country...shoot, you'd have a hard time finding better climate anywhere in the world. Ahhhh... That was thirty years ago. It's all grown up now and is just as congested as Los Angeles. I'm off to Montana/Idaho/Wyoming when I finally stop drawing a regular paycheck in a few more years.

Advice? Bail if you can.
Old 06-04-13, 08:31 PM
Lightingguy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by osco53
Anticipate mistakes,
Keep a reasonable following distance, three car lengths at 50 mph don't cut it,
And if your running tight/tailgating so no one will cut in front of you YOUR an IDIOT and should be charged.
Always keep an escape route open,

And If a crash is coming protect your front end at all cost.....

OP,, Your not a Grumpy Old Man your a wise Old Man and YES This Nation, the People who OWN this country want us stupid....
Jeez Osco, this is the 50 plus forum and you're giving advice in a Parent to Child format that is certain to be useful.

The OP just wanted to rant.

Grumpy reply over.
Old 06-04-13, 08:40 PM
36Oly_Rider

Bikes: Black Beauty; The Lone Ranger; Samsquantch

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When you start yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN!" to kids and calling your neighbor "Putz!" or "Moron." Then you can call yourself a full fledge "Grumpy Ol' Man"...Until then, stay young my friend...Whoops, sorry, 42 yo in the 50+ Forum...I still have 8 more years...Have a nice day, mister.... (I should be out riding bikes with my friends)
Old 06-04-13, 08:42 PM
Chaco

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was you a year ago. Then my liver was poisoned by an antibiotic called Augmentin. My skin was hypersensitive. I couldn't sleep under a sheet or a blanket for 3 months. I couldn't even make it around the block without getting exhausted. I couldn't sleep more than an hour a day for the first month. My doctor was considering putting me on the liver transplant list.

The first day I was able to sleep under a sheet and blanket, I almost cried, it was such a terrific feeling. Then I got on my bike again, and couldn't get over how lucky I was to be able to ride my bike next to the ocean. I couldn't believe how lucky I was to have friends and family who encouraged me while I was falling apart physically.

Confronting my mortality in such a direct way put everything into perspective. The little annoyances seem so much smaller now. Yes, a stupid driver honking at me for taking the lane still pisses me off. But it used to piss me off for the whole day; now it lasts for about 5 seconds.

You and I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world to ride a bicycle. I hope you find a way to make that the focal point of your day.
Old 06-04-13, 11:48 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My family name is "Grumpy" so tells it all.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-05-13, 05:57 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395

I can relate to this. Not only has old age turned me into a fussbudget crab, I've was also threatened with full responsibility for an accident I did not cause. In my case, someone dropped a vacuum cleaner off a truck on a 4 lane interstate. Rather than hit the vacuum cleaner, the car in front of me decided to test their ABS system from 70 MPH.

Theirs was better than mine.

My insurance company proposed to find me 100% at fault. I asked them:

"So ... you're telling me that if you were able to identify who dropped that vacuum on the freeway, you wouldn't be going after them for the damage?"
Regardless of who dropped the vac, you were obviously driving too close to the car in front. Ever heard of the 2-second rule? 3 seconds for heavy vehicles. BTW, I was born grumpy, my wife says.
Old 06-05-13, 08:31 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
I don't trust anybody that is driving. Too many people texting and phoning and just not paying attention, so I do it for them.

There was a insurance scam a few years back. Car1 would pull in front of an unsuspecting victim, and slow a bit so the victim would get closer. Car2 would then cut in front of car1 and hit thier brakes. Car1 would salm on thier brakes causing the victim to hit them. Car2 would drive off. Since the victim hit car1 from behind they where 100% at fault.
Then the driver of car1 would sue them for all kinds of stuff, and the insurance company would settle the suit. Car1, car2 and thier lawyer would split the profit, the victim got a higher insurance bill.
Old 06-05-13, 08:50 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I live in San Diego, with some very congested freeways, especially at rush hour.
After a recent fender bender (in my pickup) in which some goofy woman cut me off, then slammed on the brakes to avoid another brainless idiot that cut her off - they determined that it was my fault. I was the guy in back- so.
California motor vehicle code is pretty clear on that. You are responsible for maintaining enough distance between you and the car ahead of you to prevent a collision. The fly in the ointment of course is that if you try to maintain a proper following distance, some buffoon will interpret that gap as more than enough room to stuff their car into. If you try to maintain the proper clearance, you will be forced backwards with respect to traffic. Unintended consequences of a well intentioned law.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 06-05-13, 08:57 AM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
That's why I hate city traffic. If you leave enough room to avoid those braking emergency accidents, then some yahoo WILL pull into the gap, ad infinitum
Old 06-05-13, 11:41 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
- they determined that it was my fault.
I'm thinking "they" must be Democrats. If "they" were Republicans they would have blamed it on Obama.
Old 06-05-13, 12:00 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo
Regardless of who dropped the vac, you were obviously driving too close to the car in front. Ever heard of the 2-second rule? 3 seconds for heavy vehicles. BTW, I was born grumpy, my wife says.
Of course ... by definition. But:

(1) Even 2 seconds is not enough when the person in front of you slams on the brakes from 70 MPH with zero warning. You're assuming I was following closer than that, and I wasn't.

(2) Try driving through Los Angeles on the 405 sometime and maintaining a 2 second distance. It ain't easy.

(3) Regardless the person that dropped the item is still obviously the primary cause of the crash. I'm quite certain the insurance company would have gone after them for the damage to all of the cars, should they have been identified.

Old 06-05-13, 12:07 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
My family name is "Grumpy" so tells it all.
I wear a cap all the time that says "GRUMPY" so I can relate.

I live in Orange County which I argue is more congested than San Diego (but not as congested - thank goodness, as LA) so I can relate. Just recently my company moved to South Irvine. My commute before was 8 miles (I would commuted by bike) and it took me 10 minutes by car. My commute is now 7 miles and its take me 25 - 30 minutes by car! I have no choice but to bike commute (but that is a whole other issue I need to deal with). Watching fellow motorists drive that distance actually scares me... this morning I watched someone weave in and out of the bike lane. They were obviously texting. Just imagine if I were in that lane commuting on bike!!! Unfortunately the City fo Irvine is probably one of the densest population wise, in the county, maybe the state. Just too many people trying to get someplace and none of them have a clue!

I don't see the traffic getting better and even with all the laws out there addressing texting and using a cell, they are frankly ignored and drivers are getting more and more unaware of their surroundings. I could be stressed out everyday but I try and relax. I give myself plenty of time to commut to work so the congestion does not cause me issues. I try not to take the behavior of bad drivers personally. I start thinking about my bike ride after work (if I drive in) or my ride home (if I bike commute). Life is too short to get frantic about other drivers.

I don't think your rant is limited to us old folks... everyone is affected and it ain't gonna get better.... when I retire (IF!) I plan on moving somewhere where the town has only one stop light and traffic is light.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 06-05-13 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-05-13, 12:12 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaco
IYou and I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world to ride a bicycle. I hope you find a way to make that the focal point of your day.
And yes this ^ you are indeed very fortunate! I have said many times when I get the opportunity to retire, if I can afford only one year, I want to live in San Diego County and ride my bikes!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 06-05-13, 12:30 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I have a GRUMPY Baseball Cap from Universal Studios, so I guess we have a sub-culture in the 50+ forums.

CRAP and Injustice flow downhill and the guy at the back of the line is always at the bottom of the hill. This is nothing personal, this is a police officer densely following SOP! Its not you-it is life. Happens, shake it off. Life is still good! You are a good person, don't get jaded! Write out a list of all the good things you enjoy in life and focus on that written list.

Its strange how an event like this accident hits hard and stays deep. Root it out and get back to being you. Be more defensive than ever on those horrid California roads. My wife and I always complain about trips to SoCal. But where do we always go? LaJolla, West Lake, Anaheim. You live in a great place, get back to enjoying it.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 06-05-13, 12:32 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
.... when I retire (IF!) I plan on moving somewhere where the town has only one stop light and traffic is light.
I used to live in Lincoln, KS. They had one stop light. It was only turned on for a month during harvest! That is light traffic.

Then again, this may be the KING of small Towns: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nothing,_Arizona

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Last edited by Daspydyr; 06-05-13 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-05-13, 12:32 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Pamestique
.... when I retire (IF!) I plan on moving somewhere where the town has only one stop light and traffic is light.
Dubois, Wyoming?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.