Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Seville's Lesson to the World: How to Become Bike Friendly

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-11, 03:16 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I'm so happy about the changes in this city over the past five years or so! I've been a car-free cyclist here for over twenty years, and now this transformation. Check out this article:

https://www.peopleforbikes.org/blog/e...ment-176000958
Old 04-01-11, 03:45 PM
myrridin
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the blog, "City Council passed a law that limits auto access in the central city to residents only;"

I really doubt this would make it past the court system in the U.S.
Old 04-01-11, 04:59 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
I'm so happy about the changes in this city over the past five years or so! I've been a car-free cyclist here for over twenty years, and now this transformation. Check out this article:

https://www.peopleforbikes.org/blog/e...ment-176000958
Going from almost no bikes to 7 % modal share in five years is remarkable. I think that somewhere between 5 and 10 % there is a tipping point, and many more will suddenly start to ride at that point.

For me the point is that often it seems there is no demand for something until it actually exists. For example, in 1980 nobody was demanding cell phones, but as soon as somebody was bold enough to provide the infrastructure for them, demand grew--slowly at first, then suddenly demand exploded and we quickly reached the point we're at now, where everybody has a cell phone.

If you provide safe, fast and convenient bicycle infrastructure in a city--anywhere in the world--people will start to use it. At first it will be a slow increase in the number of bikes, but before long they will become very popular. It makes economic and practical sense for bikes to be a major form of transportation in cities. Almost any city with a population greater than 25,000 or so can quite easily see 30 to 50 % of trips made by bicycle.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-01-11, 05:41 PM
myrridin
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Almost any city with a population greater than 25,000 or so can quite easily see 30 to 50 % of trips made by bicycle.
There is absolutely no empirical evidence that such a thing is possible, much less likely... It certainly isn't going to happen on a regular basis unless people are forced (by some external mechanism) to ride instead of choosing another mode. Simply making it "safer" is not going to generate that level of mode share.
Old 04-02-11, 05:51 AM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by myrridin
From the blog, "City Council passed a law that limits auto access in the central city to residents only;"

I really doubt this would make it past the court system in the U.S.
That's a recent development. We reached the the 7% mode share before auto access to the city center was limited, so even if it weren't possible to implement such a measure in the U.S., I still believe that good infrastructure and bike sharing programs would have similar effects there.

Last edited by Ekdog; 04-02-11 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-02-11, 05:55 AM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Going from almost no bikes to 7 % modal share in five years is remarkable. I think that somewhere between 5 and 10 % there is a tipping point, and many more will suddenly start to ride at that point.

For me the point is that often it seems there is no demand for something until it actually exists. For example, in 1980 nobody was demanding cell phones, but as soon as somebody was bold enough to provide the infrastructure for them, demand grew--slowly at first, then suddenly demand exploded and we quickly reached the point we're at now, where everybody has a cell phone.

If you provide safe, fast and convenient bicycle infrastructure in a city--anywhere in the world--people will start to use it. At first it will be a slow increase in the number of bikes, but before long they will become very popular. It makes economic and practical sense for bikes to be a major form of transportation in cities. Almost any city with a population greater than 25,000 or so can quite easily see 30 to 50 % of trips made by bicycle.
I hope you're right about the tipping point. I'm seeing more and more cyclists by the day, and I wouldn't be surprised if we reached 10% by the next time they take a count.
Old 04-02-11, 07:11 AM
newenglandbike
Is Right

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for posting this- it is heartening to read about these transformations actually happening, especially in such a short time-frame. As a car-free person in the Boston area, I *know* how great this city could be with fewer cars. Not that any US city couldn't be improved by reducing automobile traffic, but Boston is one of few towns where the streets pre-date automobiles by such a long shot, are too narrow in many places, and are not suited to high speeds.
Old 04-02-11, 09:44 AM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by newenglandbike
Thanks for posting this- it is heartening to read about these transformations actually happening, especially in such a short time-frame. As a car-free person in the Boston area, I *know* how great this city could be with fewer cars. Not that any US city couldn't be improved by reducing automobile traffic, but Boston is one of few towns where the streets pre-date automobiles by such a long shot, are too narrow in many places, and are not suited to high speeds.
Narrow streets? You talkin' narrow streets? We got narrow streets.

Old 04-02-11, 06:29 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

There's more to it than providing infrastructure... although I'd think it is certainly a major element.

But on top of that you need a couple of other triggers :
1) many see owning a car as a major (and optional) expense
2) many are looking to transportation alternatives because the car is too polluting in an age where we are starting to scrutinize our energy resouces.
3) there's also a moral element, where people see the rise of what we could only call "fossil fuel wars". Many actually do see our fossil fuel consumption as both excessive and with too many nasty geopolitical side effects.
Old 04-04-11, 12:59 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by gerv
There's more to it than providing infrastructure... although I'd think it is certainly a major element.

But on top of that you need a couple of other triggers :
1) many see owning a car as a major (and optional) expense
2) many are looking to transportation alternatives because the car is too polluting in an age where we are starting to scrutinize our energy resouces.
3) there's also a moral element, where people see the rise of what we could only call "fossil fuel wars". Many actually do see our fossil fuel consumption as both excessive and with too many nasty geopolitical side effects.
Yes, it will be a multifactorial development, but it will happen. Bicycle transportation in urban areas is so simple that it's a no-brainer once people try it. And they will try it once they perceive bikes as safe and non-sweaty.

Bikes are the most efficient, convenient and practical transit choice for high- and medium-density areas, where most trips are under 10 miles.

Those who think otherwise are living in the past, still using their dinosaur fuels, soon to be extinct.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-04-11, 09:46 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Yes, it will be a multifactorial development, but it will happen. Bicycle transportation in urban areas is so simple that it's a no-brainer once people try it. And they will try it once they perceive bikes as safe and non-sweaty.
From what I see in Des Moines, bicycles are clearly the one mode of transportation that is going to see exponential growth in the next few years. In many ways, the spread-out designs of most US cities is really suited to bicycles, 'cause you can't get around easily by walking, but you often can by bike.

What's I really like to know, if I could look into a crystal ball, is what share of the transportation mode it will land at. I'd love to see some US cities at 24% (like some European cities...) . I think Des Moines, by virtue flat terrain, relatively quiet streets and < 10 mile radius, could easily grow that much (if people would get off their asses... )
Old 04-06-11, 11:31 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

From what I see in Des Moines, bicycles are clearly the one mode of transportation that is going to see exponential growth in the next few years. In many ways, the spread-out designs of most US cities is really suited to bicycles, 'cause you can't get around easily by walking, but you often can by bike.

What's I really like to know, if I could look into a crystal ball, is what share of the transportation mode it will land at. I'd love to see some US cities at 24% (like some European cities...) . I think Des Moines, by virtue flat terrain, relatively quiet streets and < 10 mile radius, could easily grow that much (if people would get off their asses... )
When I started riding in 2002, I was in a very small group. It would not be exaggerating to say that for 3 months of the year I was almost the only cyclist on the streets. Nowadays, I have plenty of company all year, and I'm quite sure the ranks of cyclists will continue to grow.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 04-06-11, 02:46 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
If you provide safe, fast and convenient bicycle infrastructure in a city--anywhere in the world--people will start to use it.
Yes! Infrastructure is the key, yet so many posters to this forum keep coming up with the old "it wouldn't work here" argument.
Old 04-06-11, 03:24 PM
lucienrau

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that this is one of the keys too, from the article:
"removed 200 parking spaces."

Removing parking for cars makes it significantly easier to have the space for human speed infrastructure. I think any city that says, it couldn't work here simply has to look at parking lanes.
Old 04-06-11, 07:26 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lucienrau
Removing parking for cars makes it significantly easier to have the space for human speed infrastructure. I think any city that says, it couldn't work here simply has to look at parking lanes.
Problem is that car parking is a very entrenched right for many people and businesses. It is probably the most common concern when a city proposes new bike lanes.

Even carfree cities like Venice have to deal with car parking. Their solution is to park everyone on the other side of the lagoon, where you catch the ferry.

The real issue is not parking but a far too large car population. When cars stop, they need a parking spot.

Where is Paul Ehrlich when you need him?
Old 04-07-11, 12:32 PM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate when people complain about parking costs. If you want to store your private property in a public space then you should pay.

One reason I like the idea of park(ing) day. If you keep feeding the meter then you own that space for that time and you should be able to do with it as you please.
Old 04-07-11, 12:39 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
This definitely isn't about Seville, OH USA
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 04-07-11, 03:00 PM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chipcom quoting Joe Bageant
If middle-class Americans do not feel threatened by the slow encroachment of the police state or the Patriot Act, it is because they live comfortably enough and exercise their liberties very lightly, never testing the boundaries. You never know you are in a prison unless you try the door.
Love the quotation. I've just recently become aware of the writing of the late, great Joe Bageant. Reading Kindle version of Rainbow Pie. A real eye-opener.

Last edited by Ekdog; 04-07-11 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-08-11, 09:21 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Ekdog... How do car drivers of Seville react to the new bike lanes and changes to their busy four lanes?
Old 04-09-11, 06:01 AM
Ekdog

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Ekdog... How do car drivers of Seville react to the new bike lanes and changes to their busy four lanes?
Urged on by the right-wing opposition party and a local newspaper, there were howls of protest at first over parking spots being lost, even though not that many were really eliminated. In most streets, as you can see in this picture, cars are parked between the bike lane and the traffic lanes. They've also built a number of underground car parks. Not that many protests are heard anymore, as polls have shown overwhelming support for the new bicycle infrastructure. In fact, the opposition party has changed their tune. They now say that they were for the bike lanes all along but if they had been in power they would have built much better ones!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
recorrido306.jpg (72.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-09-11, 11:56 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

New York City is currently going through a nasty and malicious period of backlash against bike infrastructure. I hope they weather it the way Seville did. The mayor of New York is fairly conservative, but is mostly supportive of the bike facilities. Success in New York is important, since people all over the world look up to NYC and want to emulate it. (seriously)

"Think Outside the Cage"