Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need a Great Lube for Australia - Salty air was rough on our bikes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-22, 11:18 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I recently came back from a 17 day trip to Australia. We were on the coast 14 of the 17 days. After a few days, almost every bike on the tour was starting to rust. The chains looked like they had been in rainstorm for weeks. The lube we had was synthetic and just wasn't cutting it

Anyone have a great oil based lube for the chains in a salty air conditions like Tasmania and Australia?

I am going to bring phil wood tenacious oil for the bolts and springs. My springs on SPDs started to rust as well.. But what oil based chain lube do you recommend. Anything synthetic is not going to cut it..
Old 12-19-22, 11:41 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Probably would use a wet lube, and for that what I have been using is the Finish Line Ceramic Wet but probably any stuff could work. Tenacious oil might do the trick as well and you are carrying one less lube around. It is thick stuff but it will hold well and should coat nicely.
Old 12-20-22, 12:06 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
The first Scotland tour had our bikes splashed with sea water a few times, besides being in the damp air 24 hours a day. Within a few weeks our Campy NR hubs showed surface corrosion bubbling up in spots. My 6 months in Santa Cruze saw my chromed Fuji Finest rusting at each nick or scratch. 15 years of working in LBSs in Cleveland (which had a huge road salt mining site just off shore, thus it cost next to nothing for the local highway depts to use way too much). The next 10 years were in NC and only a couple hours away from the Outer Banks. We saw way too many rusted bikes that lived out side during the season.

I agree with a wet lube, usually they have a better ability to coat surfaces and reseal contact points than the dry lubes I know of. But the biggest gain will be from periodic washing/rinsing and lube/waxing of the complete bike. Those Campy hubs would have likely not corroded if I had rinsed them off in a day, even if that was from a water bottle. Letting a salty surface sit in a damp atmosphere for many days is the issue IMO. Andy
Old 12-20-22, 12:15 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Texas Gulf Coast for my rides.
Use Chain L

Old 12-20-22, 08:45 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
+1 for Chain-L. Not the only lube that will do but I live 3/4 mile from the ocean and ride in the occasional rain here in Southern California and this holds up to wetness and salt air better than most other lubes and I get over 500 mostly dry miles from each lube. Never got more than 120 miles or so from any other of the many lubes I've tried. Home Page Chain-L High Mileage Bicycle Chain Lubricant
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 12-20-22, 09:36 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

I totally agree with Chain L use. Been using it for quite a number of years. However I'll add my too often said statement about lubes: they are like body soap. I don't care which brand or type of soap you bathe with. It's the act of bathing that counts far more than which soap is used. So use what evet lube you like but clean and maintain your bike as often as in needed to have your partner not kick you out of bed Andy
Old 12-20-22, 09:59 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by socalrider
I recently came back from a 17 day trip to Australia. We were on the coast 14 of the 17 days. After a few days, almost every bike on the tour was starting to rust. The chains looked like they had been in rainstorm for weeks. The lube we had was synthetic and just wasn't cutting it

Anyone have a great oil based lube for the chains in a salty air conditions like Tasmania and Australia?

I am going to bring phil wood tenacious oil for the bolts and springs. My springs on SPDs started to rust as well.. But what oil based chain lube do you recommend. Anything synthetic is not going to cut it..
Not sure what you mean by synthetic. For example the synthetic motor oils (e.g. Mobil One) are just as corrosion resistant as conventional. They are both petroleum based but the synthetics just have a narrower molecular weight range because they are ethylene based. I've had great luck with dissolving oil in odorless mineral spirits as a chain lube. The reduce viscosity of the solvent allows the lube to easily penetrate everything and then when the solvent evaporates the lube is where it needs to be after you wipe off the surfaces.
Old 12-20-22, 10:38 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I agree with a wet lube, usually they have a better ability to coat surfaces and reseal contact points than the dry lubes I know of. But the biggest gain will be from periodic washing/rinsing and lube/waxing of the complete bike.
In dry areas, this sounds great. How would you approach the Scottish (or similar) environment, though? Would you lube the chain then wash, or wash and try to dry everything before re-lubing? Seems like you could rinse the salt off, but you're left with a wet chain -- possibly with oil sitting on top to keep the moisture from evaporating.
Old 12-20-22, 11:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
The rust you see on the outside of your chain isn't really an indication that the lube you use isn't doing what it's suppose to do on the parts of the chain that really count for chain wear. And those places you can't see without disassembling your chain and ruining it.

Though I will agree that loose iron oxide particles from the surface rust might get worked down into the places on your chain where you can't see and cause some additional wear. But going by the rusty chains of my kids bikes and my own years before I ever cared, it's probably not a lot of concern. Except for just cosmetic and aesthetic reasons.

So simply wiping your chain off more often after riding in those conditions probably will have helped a lot no matter what lube you used.
Old 12-20-22, 02:19 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Originally Posted by pdlamb
In dry areas, this sounds great. How would you approach the Scottish (or similar) environment, though? Would you lube the chain then wash, or wash and try to dry everything before re-lubing? Seems like you could rinse the salt off, but you're left with a wet chain -- possibly with oil sitting on top to keep the moisture from evaporating.
I don't worry too much about chain rust as all it takes is a quick freshening up of lube to address the chain's rusting. My comment was more about the rest of the bike and the corrosion (Fe or Al oxides and galvanic ones too). I have seen far too many bikes with frozen adjusting screws, packed up der pivots, cables no longer moving in their housings and stems/posts that won't move to not mention them too. At the risk of others flaming me I'll say that it is these other areas of potential corrosion that will keep the bike from working in a safe and consistent manor. It is only when the chain has been allowed to rust so much and the bike hasn't been ridden that chain rust will prevent function. This is a very high bar to neglect a bike to (again: no riding with no lube and a long time just sitting in a moist space). It just happens less often than most will think. By taking the time to rinse off your bike, touching the bits and parts and add small drops of oil here and there one will not just make stuff last longer/work better but also have a greater chance of noticing the bud of a problem before it grows into a huge tree of a problem.

Like I suggested when I was in Scotland I should have simply poured water over the bike to remove the salt left behind from the sea's splashes. BTW both times I have been there it has only rained one day per tour. When I mention this some have asked "which part of Scotland was that? I want to go there as the last time there it rained every day on us". Andy (whose late wife had the gift of good vacation weather, over and over year after year)
Old 12-20-22, 06:49 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Agree on the recommendation of Chain L for what you're looking for.
Old 12-21-22, 02:32 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Chain L or vegemite

Old 12-21-22, 03:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5787 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Please read this with awareness of the inherent conflict of interest. Nor is it posted intended as an advert.

IMO the number one priority of a chain lube, or ANY lube for that matter, is to be where it's needed when it's needed. After all, no lube can do anyone any good if it's no longer there. Wet weather riders are more aware of this issue, because rain so easily washes lubes out of chains. As a lifetime wet weather rider, I first got the idea to make a lube because I was dissatisfied with general move towards clean lubes vs. durable lubes, and formulated CHAIN-L to meet my needs.

If your needs align with my objectives, then it's a logical choice. If not, or if you're happy using something else, than you should stay with what works.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 12-21-22 at 03:08 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-21-22, 04:02 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Any oil based wet lube will work well for your purpose. They are all pretty much the same basic ingredients and claim to have some proprietary extra ingredient that will take your chain life to the next level. All lubes in this category work equally well. If you want to save some $$, you can make your own homebrew lube of 50% motor oil and 50% mineral spirits. It will work just as well as any of the "miracle lubes" out there.

Avoid "dry" wax lubes. They don't last, don't lubricate as well and wash away easily if you get caught in the rain.
Old 12-21-22, 05:46 PM
redshift1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts

Tasmania is a part of Australia.
Likes For redshift1:
Old 12-21-22, 10:55 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Boeshield T-9 Offers great rust prevention. It tends to coat things, so do not apply to parts you do not want to have a protective coat applied
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 12-21-22, 11:41 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Anyone have a great oil based lube for the chains in a salty air conditions like Tasmania and Australia?...
Originally Posted by redshift1
It's like saying "like the US and Alaska (or Hawaii)"
Old 12-22-22, 07:51 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by redshift1
Originally Posted by Camilo
It's like saying "like the US and Alaska (or Hawaii)"
While it's more correct to say CONUS or mainland US -- and Alaska and Hawaii, I've seen a lot of shipping costs broken out as "US $ Alaska and Hawaii $$$.

Of course, the strait between mainland Australia and Tasmania is narrower than the Pacific between CONUS and Hawaii -- by quite a few kilometers.
Old 12-23-22, 05:23 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
Your taking Phil oil, just use it. No reason to pack anything else.
Contrary to everyone's belief, oil is oil. It wears off, you put more on. No oil is going to protect much better than anything else, especially if it gets washed off by rain and dried with dirt. My usual now is just my Amsoil gear lube I use in my trucks diff.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Likes For canopus:
Old 12-23-22, 05:33 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by canopus
Contrary to everyone's belief, oil is oil. It wears off, you put more on. No oil is going to protect much better than anything else, especially if it gets washed off by rain and dried with dirt.
^^^This.^^^
Old 12-23-22, 05:41 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
ChainL is great but it coats, moves, looks, smells, and tastes just like hypoid gear oil. Go to a car parts store and get a liter of pretty much any hypoid gear oil, and save some money. Even if you buy the most expensive gear oil you can get, you're still way under cost of any bike specific wet condition lube.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 12-23-22, 06:08 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4735 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Vaseline
Old 12-26-22, 10:17 AM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
I grew up on the SW coast of Australia in the 70s (100 yards from the beach) and the only bicycle (or motorcycle) in that town that escaped the ubiquitous and almost immediate sheen of rust and corrosion was my dad’s bike—he’d spray down the entire bike with a sticky coat of LPS-3 and I swear his bikes never rusted. Might be an idea for those visiting coastal towns? You can detergent-off the LPS-3 once you are back home—it never really dries so we hated it as kids but it sure beat having a rusty bike like everyone else.
Old 12-26-22, 11:29 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
I grew up on the SW coast of Australia in the 70s (100 yards from the beach) and the only bicycle (or motorcycle) in that town that escaped the ubiquitous and almost immediate sheen of rust and corrosion was my dad’s bike—he’d spray down the entire bike with a sticky coat of LPS-3 and I swear his bikes never rusted. Might be an idea for those visiting coastal towns? You can detergent-off the LPS-3 once you are back home—it never really dries so we hated it as kids but it sure beat having a rusty bike like everyone else.
Holy Schmidt! I remember the LPS line of products in my youth, but haven't seen them here im the U.S. in ages. I remember one of their penetrants would free just about anything when WD-40 couldn't. The stuff came out of the can brown. I have no idea what extra ingredient was in there that made it work when all other penetrants failed. But that stuff worked.
Old 12-26-22, 03:08 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 1,561 Times in 1,024 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Boeshield T-9 Offers great rust prevention. It tends to coat things, so do not apply to parts you do not want to have a protective coat applied
Boeshield clogs things up to the point where solvent won't get it out. I hate working on bikes that have been T-9'd.

I would also vote for washing and frequent lubrication whatever oil you feel happy putting on liberally. Oiled steel pretty much can't rust. The rust starts when the oil has wiped or wicked away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.