Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wandering gears!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wandering gears!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-23, 08:43 AM
nicktf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wandering gears!

Hi,

The chain on my bike has the tendancy to 'wander' over the smallest 3 or 4 cassette cogs. That is, once changed it will suddenly change up/down irrespective of chain loading. Changes to the largest cogs in the cassette are rock solid. I have tried tweaking the trim on the handle bar changers to no avail and sometimes its fine. Just annoying and make changes to the smaller cogs much more tentative!!

The cassette is new and the chain is nearly new (gauge shows its ok). The gear change is precise and the chain does not skip or slip over any cogs. The bottom bracket creaks but has no appreciable left<->right play and the freewheel hub that mounts the cassette only has slight play. The (sora hg9 speed) derailleur does have some 'slop' in the cage that houses the jockey wheels. That said, the derailleur and freewheel hub have about the same movement as my wifes new bike drive change components

I'm sure if I brought new chain, derailleur, cassette and freewheel hub the problem would go way! However, I'd welcome some advice in narrowing down the issue to the right component 🙂

Many thanks

Nick
Old 01-18-23, 09:54 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
Did you replace cables? Get derailleur hanger aligned?
Likes For dedhed:
Old 01-18-23, 11:50 AM
nicktf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dedhed
Did you replace cables? Get derailleur hanger aligned?
Yes, cable is Teflon coated and really smooth in operation.
Err, not sure about hanger alignment? It's a cast Ali bracket that's bolted onto the frame in a fixed recess position.

Thanks for replying 👍
Old 01-18-23, 01:29 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by nicktf
Err, not sure about hanger alignment? It's a cast Ali bracket that's bolted onto the frame in a fixed recess position.
👍
The derailleur hanger can be knocked out of line fairly easily. There is a tool designed to check alignment and correct it if necessary. By the way, the term freewheel and cassette do not refer to the same bicycle component. You can have one or the other. Using both terms is confusing for readers of your question
Old 01-18-23, 02:22 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
Before throwing more $ at this bike I would suggest letting someone with more experience have a look at it. Not because the bike isn't worth much but more to the hope of only replacing/fixing what's wrong and not blindly buy and replace otherwise well working parts. Andy
Old 01-18-23, 02:44 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
Yes, cable is Teflon coated and really smooth in operation.

Thanks for replying 👍
there's nothing "fixed" about it.

​​​​​​
Old 01-18-23, 03:54 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
assuming 9 speed indexed.

hanger alignment critical

overall sounds like rear derailler adjustment issues....

https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/...eur-adjustment

Old 01-18-23, 04:11 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Before throwing more $ at this bike I would suggest letting someone with more experience have a look at it. Not because the bike isn't worth much but more to the hope of only replacing/fixing what's wrong and not blindly buy and replace otherwise well working parts. Andy
Good advice. But let me try to give you a crash course to figuring it out for yourself.
  • Put the bike on a workstand
  • Assure yourself that the chain and cassette cogs aren't excessively worn. There are tools and hundreds of pages of advice for this.
  • Duplicate the problem that is happening on the road on the workstand.
  • When you find it, slow it down so you can observe everything that happens. Does it happen on the same cogs? Does it happen on the same teeth of the same cogs? Doee it happen on the same spot on the chain?
  • Remove the offending component(s), examine and determine if it (they) should be replaced or repaired.
Old 01-18-23, 05:14 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
there's nothing "fixed" about it.

​​​​​​https://youtu.be/tXfvW0L3iLM
In this instance, "fixed" means machined into the dropout, i'd speculate.
Old 01-18-23, 11:12 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
do you have the correct spacers/spacing?
Old 01-19-23, 08:14 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,877 Times in 1,080 Posts
start with adding more tension to the RD cable (with barrel adjuster / whatever)

( more if / than you’ve already done )

Last edited by t2p; 01-19-23 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-19-23, 08:24 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 1,585 Times in 734 Posts
Nick,
When this "ghost shifting" has happened on my bikes, it's always been the derailleur hangar is out of alignment. I'd take it to a bike shop, they've fixed this issue a zillion times.
Old 01-19-23, 02:25 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
If you have a replaceable alloy RD hanger, these are generally designed to bend if the RD receives a significant impact. This is so that the hanger - and not the frame or the RD - takes all or the majority of any damage resulting from the impact.

After the hanger bends, your RD is no longer properly aligned and rear shifting suffers.

With the proper tool, the hanger can often - but not always - be straightened and the RD realigned. If it can't be straightened enough, or if it cracks, it needs to be replaced. (Replacing it and keeping the old one for a spare after having both aligned is IMO the best option. Unfortunately, they're often very frame-specific and can be difficult to find, so that's not always an option.)

Without the proper tool, it's rather difficult if not nearly impossible to align the RD hanger if bent.

If you can't find another problem causing the issue, the advice above to have your RD alignment checked is in order. It may well still be in order if you find another problem and have fixed that, but in that case at least you'll have preempted a future issue by fixing the other problem.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Hondo6; 01-19-23 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Correct typo and add info.
Old 01-19-23, 04:08 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
If it's not the derailer alignment, make sure the cassette lockring is tight. Dumb mechanic (me) put on a new cassette before a century and didn't tighten it down enough. 60 miles into the ride I had the symptoms you described. Banged the lockring back on (rock + nail) which got me to the next sag stop where a good mechanic (not me) tightenend it enough to last several thousand miles, until the cassette was worn out.
Old 01-19-23, 07:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Question for the OP- Can you be more specific as to how your wandering gears are acting. Specifically if you were to shift into the second smallest cog and make sure the cable tension is correct to center the guide pulley below that cog than go ride the bike with no more shifting would the gears still wander? This is an important detail that helps separate shift indexing from other possible issues. A bent der hanger won't cause wandering if the system was "corrected" for one cog and there's no more shifting tried.

Or does the wandering only happen after trying to shift to another cog? Besides der hanger alignment cable/casing friction and cable condition inside the lever are two very common reasons to have crappy shifting. Andy
Old 01-20-23, 02:45 AM
nicktf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Its fine in the workstand, so nothing obviously wrong. Gears change crisply up/down and dont wander or skip. It seems to be induced by the loadings on the chain.
Old 01-20-23, 02:47 AM
nicktf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds familiar to me to, on a previous occasion!!
Old 01-20-23, 02:49 AM
nicktf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Excellent idea, Thank you
Old 01-20-23, 02:59 AM
nicktf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the collective feeling that its something to do with the hangar/angle of the derailler.

I have had a much closer look and noticed that the lowest jockey wheel (closest to the road) in the derailler cage appears to have a slight 'twist' in it. The chain does not run centrally and leaves/enters this jockey wheel at an angle. The main body of the derailler appears to be true.

I will explore further......
Old 01-20-23, 04:17 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Its fine in the workstand, so nothing obviously wrong. Gears change crisply up/down and dont wander or skip. It seems to be induced by the loadings on the chain.
Also check for a slight wobble on the axle and adjust the cones if needed. Sideway movement of the wheel could be a cause of this.

Old 01-20-23, 07:51 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 1,560 Times in 1,023 Posts
The smallest cogs are the furthest from the jockey pulley and have the least amount of derailleur spring tension. So as springs age and dirt/damage accumulate in the parallelogram pivots, upshifting can go to hell on the smallest cogs.

Spray lube the derailleur out, check for smooth cable operation and adjust the B screw to run the jockey pulley as close to largest cog as possible.

Last edited by Kontact; 01-21-23 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-20-23, 08:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

"once changed it will suddenly change up/down irrespective of chain loading"

"It seems to be induced by the loadings on the chain."

Both are the OP's

I have a hard time reconciling these two statements. This is one of the reasons why I suggested a more experienced person to take a look. Cable friction issues can produce incomplete der movement (per index click) be it cable in casing or a frayed cable in shifter. This would also match the smaller cogs being where the problem is, as mentioned that's where the der parallelogram spring is at the lesser tension.

​​​​​​​But both a bent hanger and bad cables are easy to check for and quickly eliminate what is in good condition from the possible causes. Andy