Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

First long ride on alleged 1/8" chainwheel

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-23, 02:22 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts

For safety's sake, I thought I would put a single-speed specific front chainwheel on my Schwinn "LeToaster", I thought if it fit the chain better than using the chainwheel off my old 12-speed Motobecane, there would less a chance of having any issues.

The proprietor of a local bike-shop in town who had been there for many decades, said he had never seen anyone have an issue running a single-speed 1/8" chain on old ten/twelve-speed chainwheels, but I decided to do my own research. I ordered a 50-tooth "Mojo" brand front chainwheel from an Ebay seller who was marketing it as being for 1/8" single-speed applications. I measured the width of the sprocket with a micrometer, and also the width of the old 52-tooth 12-speed chainwheel, and also those on a 95' Haro bmx that was all stock, and the front chainwheel off a GT bmx. I was surprised when they all miced about the same, they were all ten or more thousands narrower than 1/8". The only difference I was able to find between the teeth of the multi-speed and single-speed chainwheels is the single-speed item had teeth which were about ten-thousands taller than the multi-speed item. I was disappointed as I was hoping for a wider chainwheel that would seat the wider chain more firmly. I figured the longer teeth would help a bit with stability though, so I swapped it onto the bike.

I also put a micrometer on the rear sprockets I had on hand to fit the Bendix coaster hub on the bike, and they all came in about the same width as the front chainwheel except for a 16T item which was almost a ful 1/8" wide.

Looking at the measurments of the various items, I could see why the old bike-shop owner said he had never seen anyone have a problem using multi-speed front chainwheels on single-speed bicycles. In the future I will not worry about using just about any front chainwheel I can find on any single-speed bike, and that will end up saving me spending any further time or money on projects that is not necessary.

Riding the bike around town for an hour and a half I did not feel any difference in the functioning of the bike at all, perfect..............

Last edited by beng1; 01-17-23 at 02:28 PM.
Likes For beng1:
Old 01-20-23, 10:42 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Single speed chains & the ol' 5 speed are essentially the same. There may be some difference I'm not aware of. But I've never known whatever difference there may be to affect anything.

1/8th inch aka 2/16ths aka 4/32

6,7,8 speed is 3/32

On single speeds you can run a 4/32 chain on just about anything you want except a White Industries Dos Eno.

A 3/32 chain will likely be too skinny to mesh properly with a 4/32 freewheel cog.

At 11/128ths It gets complicated for 9 speeds on up & it mostly pertains to outer chain width having enough room for the chain to fit between cogs than on any individual cog. Except for SRAM 12 speed also having different size rollers to lock consumers into proprietary gobbeldy-guk.

Last edited by base2; 01-20-23 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-20-23, 10:49 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Single speed chains & the ol' 5 speed are essentially the same. There may be some difference I'm not aware of. But I've never known whatever difference there may be to affect anything.

1/8th inch aka 2/16ths

6,7,8 speed is 3/16

On single speeds you can run a 2/16 chain on just about anything you want except a White Industries Dos Eno.

A 3/16 chain will likely be too skinny to mesh properly with a 2/16 freewheel cog.

It gets complicated from 9 speeds on up & it mostly pertains to outer chain width having enough room for the chain to fit between cogs than on any individual cog. Except for SRAM 12 speed also having different size rollers to lock consumers into proprietary gobbeldy-guk.
3/16 is bigger than 2/16
Old 01-20-23, 11:02 AM
beng1
Banned

1/8th inch aka 2/16ths
6,7,8 speed is 3/16
On single speeds you can run a 2/16 chain on just about anything you want except a White Industries Dos Eno.
A 3/16 chain will likely be too skinny to mesh properly with a 2/16 freewheel cog.
At 11/128ths It gets complicated for 9 speeds on up & it mostly pertains to outer chain width having enough room for the chain to fit between cogs than on any individual cog. Except for SRAM 12 speed also having different size rollers to lock consumers into proprietary gobbeldy-guk.
You may have just set some sort of record by having almost zero facts correct in this post. Amazing.

The chain for ten-speed bikes is narrower than single-speed 1/8" chain by 1/32nd of an inch. You put up a size for 6-8 speeds that is wider than that for single speeds and the old ten-speed racers, and immediately made the same mistake again saying that a wider 3/16" chain is going to be too narrow for 1/8" freewheel cogs. You may have got some of the info on late-model 8-12 speed bikes correct, but I don't own any of those and never will, and this is a thread about a single speed bike anyway so it has zero relevance. But thank-you for stopping in............
Old 01-20-23, 11:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
I read the OP's comments and am still unsure why this was shared. The bike certainly is...creative.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-20-23, 11:56 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
3/32 not 3/16
Oops.

Sorry, it's been a long night.
Edited to correct my stupid brain blatherings.

Last edited by base2; 01-20-23 at 12:00 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 01-20-23, 12:33 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I read the OP's comments and am still unsure why this was shared. The bike certainly is...creative.
The bike is a big pile of wtf.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-20-23, 12:41 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
In the future I will not worry about using just about any front chainwheel I can find on any single-speed bike, and that will end up saving me spending any further time or money on projects that is not necessary.
Thanks, mate. I reckon it will save time for the rest of us here as well.
Old 01-20-23, 09:18 PM
beng1
Banned

3/32 not 3/16Oops.Sorry, it's been a long night.Edited to correct my stupid brain blatherings.
I apologize for my brain blatherings too. I wish I had not been that hard on you, live and learn. Best of luck in the future, maybe some good sleep will do the trick.
Likes For beng1:
Old 01-20-23, 09:21 PM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Thanks, mate. I reckon it will save time for the rest of us here as well.
I am hoping you will save all the time you can that you otherwise might use in any thread I start, don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out........
Likes For beng1: