Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2023.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2023.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-23, 08:16 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,529 Times in 2,506 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
…and drinking coffee.
Naturally
Old 01-23-23, 09:16 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
…and drinking coffee.
Originally Posted by rjones28
Naturally
I do hope it's a quality brew.
Old 01-23-23, 09:17 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28614 Post(s)
Liked 1,857 Times in 1,319 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
No. He is creating art out of wood.
Such as?

Old 01-23-23, 09:42 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Haven't had much of any desire lately to do any workouts after work, and have been wondering why especially when we had some fairly warm weather last week. While I prefer riding mid-morning, I don't hate going out and coming back in the dark.

I had a realization that although I'm not riding much as far as time or distance is concerned, last week and the week before I rode in to work and then back home for lunch almost every day. That's 4 rides/day x 8 days, plus a MTB ride the Sunday before last, and then another one over the weekend. So that makes for 34 bike rides over 14 days. I guess the itch is getting scratched appropriately.

No Strava for any of it except the MTB rides though, although I might start recording this week for the sake of curiosity and just keep things private so I'm not flooding my feed with <1 mile rides. I would like to see how much I used my bike, though.
Old 01-23-23, 10:40 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3193 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 1,162 Posts
Another first this morning. Put a new tube in the rear of my town bike--87 Prelude with upright bars. Pop the wheel back in easily. Head out to my dr. appt and the chain is off in the front. Put it on the small ring and take off, only to lock up immediately. Rather than be late, I took my wife's mtb. I checked mine just now, to find the chain wrapped once around the bb shell. Never seen that before, and am scratching my head.
Btw, the doc was seen using carbon paper when writing up the order, and she stamped both copies with two or three rubber stamps. Latin America would come to a screeching halt if rubber stamps were to disappear from the face of the earth.
Old 01-23-23, 11:09 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8835 Post(s)
Liked 2,986 Times in 1,736 Posts
Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
This only makes a difference if you are unable to respond to the responders.

In my Fire/Medical days we always looked for a bracelet. If you have dog tags and are unresponsive we will find them too when we cut your clothes off. We didn't carry any blood products, so blood type didn't matter. The ER will do a type check when you arrive. Contact information is the most important thing you can have.

Our standard care for unresponsive patients was:

0) arrive on scene, make sure the scene is safe, protective gear in place as needed. Make a general assessment of the scene. Check for wrist bracelet. Are there any counterindications for any specific treatment? Maybe an LVAD? Fentanyl allergy? Anything else that could impact our care.

Now, we can go to work. Assuming an unresponsive patient are we looking at medical or trauma?

For trauma:

1)Airway : air can go in and out... tube if there is trouble.
2)Breathing : air IS going in and out. bag valve mask if assistance is needed. Everyone gets oxygen.
3)Circulation: pulse? BP? IV fluids if indicated. Oxygen level? No pulse triggers the need to switch to cardiac arrest protocol. If we get a pulse we will come back here. If we switch to cardiac we will find your dog tags at that point in time.
4)Disabilities: absent reflexes. Stroke scale if conscious but unresponsive. Pupillary response. Glasgow Comma scale. Not all unconscious people are equally unconscious. Brain swelling or brain bleeding changes things. Protect the patient with a backboard if indicated: Always for trauma. Splint as needed. Place a cervical collar if trauma. Once you are packaged nicely on a board we can move you to the back of the bus.
5)Expose: cut off as much clothing as respecting patient privacy will allow. Check for head injuries. Look for other hidden injuries. Recent surgical scars?

Once we have done the primary care, we will plug visible leaks, check for signs of internal bleeding, low BP and rapid pulse. Also, people who are bleeding internally have a pulse that we called thready. Doesn't feel quite right. And we don't have an ultrasound to see what is going on inside. No matter what, an unresponsive patient will have an IV line placed. If I couldn't get a conventional line I would place an inter-osseous line. Now take a quick blood glucose reading, Run a 4 lead Electrocardiogram. If you have dog tags we will have them by this point in time.

It is amazing chaos. A decent crew can package a critical patient in a few minutes. So we find that bracelet early in the game, like as soon as we roll up. The dog tags maybe 2 minutes later when we put you on a backboard and cut your clothes off. Don't worry about that. We are not likely to have pushed anything before we have you exposed.

Known diabetic? I will be taking a Blood Glucose reading on any unresponsive patient. If your 4 lead ECG is abnormal maybe go to a cardiac care protocol and run a 12 lead ECG.

Taking blood thinner? If you are leaking it is fairly obvious. May be the difference between ground transport and a helicopter, but obvious and depends on how big the leak is, if you respond to advanced external clotting agents, and how long is the ride to the hospital. If we suspect major internal bleeding, the ground/air decision for us was based on could we save 15 minutes for a critical patient.

My recent ride to the hospital when I broke my femur they didn't trust my existing blood type card, and I was alert and oriented to person, place, time, and event. I have my regular BP readings on my phone. Not wanted in the field or at the hospital.. The hospital put me in the cardiac care unit because my pulse was in the 40's. Fortunately no atropine for a sinus bradycardia who was A&OX4. They wanted my contact information so they could get my primary care provider and access my records.
comprehensive.
Old 01-23-23, 11:20 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11969 Post(s)
Liked 6,646 Times in 3,483 Posts
I was pretty agitated for 3 quarters but by the 4th quarter I calmed down and accepted my inevitable fate. That's progress, because I used to stay agitated all the way to the very end. But now, with maturity, I have come to accept our sorryass fate.

How could a guy so masterfully always find the open receiver one week, and then struggle like a run-of-the-mill QB the following week? Dak has to go. He has never really been the same since that nasty leg injury.

Yes, you can say ass.
Old 01-23-23, 11:22 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
This only makes a difference if you are unable to respond to the responders.

In my Fire/Medical days we always looked for a bracelet. If you have dog tags and are unresponsive we will find them too when we cut your clothes off. We didn't carry any blood products, so blood type didn't matter. The ER will do a type check when you arrive. Contact information is the most important thing you can have.

Our standard care for unresponsive patients was:

0) arrive on scene, make sure the scene is safe, protective gear in place as needed. Make a general assessment of the scene. Check for wrist bracelet. Are there any counterindications for any specific treatment? Maybe an LVAD? Fentanyl allergy? Anything else that could impact our care.

Now, we can go to work. Assuming an unresponsive patient are we looking at medical or trauma?

For trauma:

1)Airway : air can go in and out... tube if there is trouble.
2)Breathing : air IS going in and out. bag valve mask if assistance is needed. Everyone gets oxygen.
3)Circulation: pulse? BP? IV fluids if indicated. Oxygen level? No pulse triggers the need to switch to cardiac arrest protocol. If we get a pulse we will come back here. If we switch to cardiac we will find your dog tags at that point in time.
4)Disabilities: absent reflexes. Stroke scale if conscious but unresponsive. Pupillary response. Glasgow Comma scale. Not all unconscious people are equally unconscious. Brain swelling or brain bleeding changes things. Protect the patient with a backboard if indicated: Always for trauma. Splint as needed. Place a cervical collar if trauma. Once you are packaged nicely on a board we can move you to the back of the bus.
5)Expose: cut off as much clothing as respecting patient privacy will allow. Check for head injuries. Look for other hidden injuries. Recent surgical scars?

Once we have done the primary care, we will plug visible leaks, check for signs of internal bleeding, low BP and rapid pulse. Also, people who are bleeding internally have a pulse that we called thready. Doesn't feel quite right. And we don't have an ultrasound to see what is going on inside. No matter what, an unresponsive patient will have an IV line placed. If I couldn't get a conventional line I would place an inter-osseous line. Now take a quick blood glucose reading, Run a 4 lead Electrocardiogram. If you have dog tags we will have them by this point in time.

It is amazing chaos. A decent crew can package a critical patient in a few minutes. So we find that bracelet early in the game, like as soon as we roll up. The dog tags maybe 2 minutes later when we put you on a backboard and cut your clothes off. Don't worry about that. We are not likely to have pushed anything before we have you exposed.

Known diabetic? I will be taking a Blood Glucose reading on any unresponsive patient. If your 4 lead ECG is abnormal maybe go to a cardiac care protocol and run a 12 lead ECG.

Taking blood thinner? If you are leaking it is fairly obvious. May be the difference between ground transport and a helicopter, but obvious and depends on how big the leak is, if you respond to advanced external clotting agents, and how long is the ride to the hospital. If we suspect major internal bleeding, the ground/air decision for us was based on could we save 15 minutes for a critical patient.

My recent ride to the hospital when I broke my femur they didn't trust my existing blood type card, and I was alert and oriented to person, place, time, and event. I have my regular BP readings on my phone. Not wanted in the field or at the hospital.. The hospital put me in the cardiac care unit because my pulse was in the 40's. Fortunately no atropine for a sinus bradycardia who was A&OX4. They wanted my contact information so they could get my primary care provider and access my records.
Good info.
Old 01-23-23, 11:36 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by RChung
But congratulations on your 70th birthday. That you still enjoy riding is a wonderful thing, and that's far far more important . . . . .
(Borrowed from another thread.)

I think I played my last softball last year, two sub-par years in a row and I can hear the little birdies telling me to hang it up before I embarrass myself further. I'm going to try to get back into riding my bike instead if this aching, stiff body will allow me some enjoyment doing it. RChung's post is good for encouragement.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 01-23-23, 11:44 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
I was pretty agitated for 3 quarters but by the 4th quarter I calmed down and accepted my inevitable fate. That's progress, because I used to stay agitated all the way to the very end. But now, with maturity, I have come to accept our sorryass fate.

How could a guy so masterfully always find the open receiver one week, and then struggle like a run-of-the-mill QB the following week? Dak has to go. He has never really been the same since that nasty leg injury.

Yes, you can say ass.
We sat through it at our house with some 49er fans all the while eating our food and drinking our booze. Painful.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-23-23, 11:47 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by DougRNS
comprehensive.
Did you read it?
Old 01-23-23, 11:54 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

I think I played my last softball last year, two sub-par years in a row and I can hear the little birdies telling me to hang it up before I embarrass myself further.
Sad.
Old 01-23-23, 11:55 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I do hope it's a quality brew.
I'm confident that it is.

Old 01-23-23, 11:57 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8835 Post(s)
Liked 2,986 Times in 1,736 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Did you read it?
tes, it pertinent to my situation. That is why I asked.
Sounds like a naff bracelet with contact info is the way to go.
You can say naff.
Old 01-23-23, 12:06 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by DougRNS
You can say naff.
I'd rather not.
Old 01-23-23, 12:08 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12771 Post(s)
Liked 7,688 Times in 4,081 Posts
Sherman Pass Vista bathroom snow report:

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 01-23-23, 12:15 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

If you have RA, yes. Many patients respond very well to it. YMMV
What about semaglutide?
Old 01-23-23, 12:19 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by Mojo31
We sat through it at our house with some 49er fans all the while eating our food and drinking our booze. Painful.
Visual approximation.

Old 01-23-23, 12:22 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Sad.
It is, really. Thankfully my son took some video of me in the batting cage last year and I was able to see for myself that my bad back didn't allow me to follow through on my swings, which in turn robs me of some power. Plus the back robs me of some speed, something else I discovered last year. I foolishly thought I was still fast.

60+ years of playing this game . . . enough is enough.
Old 01-23-23, 12:24 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Old 01-23-23, 12:26 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

What about semaglutide?
It has its role for helping to manage diabetes and/or obesity, but it's not a cure all and patients will usually regain the weight if/when they stop it.
Old 01-23-23, 12:29 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
No este bueno
Likes For ls01:
Old 01-23-23, 12:32 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12771 Post(s)
Liked 7,688 Times in 4,081 Posts
It is, really. Thankfully my son took some video of me in the batting cage last year and I was able to see for myself that my bad back didn't allow me to follow through on my swings, which in turn robs me of some power. Plus the back robs me of some speed, something else I discovered last year. I foolishly thought I was still fast.

60+ years of playing this game . . . enough is enough.
Considering any coaching positions?

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 01-23-23, 12:35 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

It has its role for helping to manage diabetes and/or obesity, but it's not a cure all and patients will usually regain the weight if/when they stop it.
It's getting a lot of hype, but from a cost/benefit standpoint it seems like bariatric surgery is more efficient.
Old 01-23-23, 12:36 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

It's getting a lot of hype, but from a cost/benefit standpoint it seems like bariatric surgery is more efficient.
Yes but bariatric surgery is kinda like the "nuclear option" it has good results but has some risks and should not be entered into lightly (no pun intended).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.