Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Routes/group rides in Gettysburg, Cooperstown, Philly

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-21, 03:27 PM
CoogansBluff

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts

I'm planning a trip next month that may take me through Gettysburg, Cooperstown and Philadelphia.

Any riders in those areas that might point me to riding routes? Or riding clubs that might do group rides? Looking for rides of 30-40 miles. Or less if it's just fun.

Tips on how to enjoy those places off a bicycle are also welcome. You can probably can guess why someone would want to visit the first two, but if there are any do's and don'ts for the common tourist there, please warn.
Old 04-10-21, 04:45 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
Gettysburg: The Baltimore Bicycling Club each year in September holds the Civil War Century ride that starts in Thurmont MD and many of the rides loop through Gettysburg.

Ride info is here, you can see the rides of different lengths, click on them for links to the RideWithGPS files. I've done the metric century many times, both during the BBC ride and solo other times during the year. There are convenience store/gas station snack stop opportunities in Emmitsburg, Fairfield and Thurmont, plenty of parks/porta potties/water stops.
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 04-10-21, 05:02 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
You might want to reach to the local clubs for routes, places to stay etc. I could be a good trip.
Likes For Colorado Kid: