Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chain too short?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chain too short?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-22, 12:38 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
Chain too short?

Not that I would ride big big but I would like an opinion.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 12-12-22, 02:15 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
The chain exceeds the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM length.

However, the drive train might perform better with if were a bit longer.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-12-22, 02:17 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Put it on BIG:BIG and see if you have at least 1" slack without forcing it. (you'd probably be ok with 3/4")
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 12-12-22, 02:20 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
At the limit. I'd opt for a link-pair longer.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 12-12-22, 04:46 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Nobody ever wants to ride big-big, but most everybody does at some point.

I agree that's right at the edge. Probably won't hurt anything, but you may hear some extra noise reminding you to shift the front.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 12-12-22, 05:18 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

I have a new chain coming anyway, that chain was from a 53/39 ==> 13/26 cassette to a 50/34 ==> 13/29 cassette and I fit it just to see how close it was.

It failed the 1” slack test miserably.

Sucks getting old but I expect granny gears to help.

Thanks for the input.

I’m going to try 2 link pairs longer but I bet that will be too slack small / small.

67'er

Last edited by Shadco; 12-12-22 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-13-22, 08:38 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
I’m going to try 2 link pairs longer but I bet that will be too slack small / small.
Good plan. If it turns out ok, you're done. If a bit slack, then cut one link pair and you're done.
Old 12-13-22, 01:33 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
If you can still push up on the derailer and have the chain go slack, the chain is long enough.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 12-13-22, 01:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I would lengthen it a touch. It is pretty short even if yes we do try and avoid big big and little little I would rather have an extra couple links just in case.
Old 12-13-22, 04:36 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 333 Posts
Not that I would ride big big but I would like an opinion..
You wouldn't want it any shorter, but as long as it shifts cleanly on and off the large sprocket it should be fine. I'd rather have the chain a bit short on big/big than a bit slack on small/small, as long as it runs OK.
Old 12-13-22, 04:49 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
As long as it turns freely without any binding, it's fine.
Old 12-15-22, 06:59 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
When adding, won't he then have to check little-little?
Likes For Pratt:
Old 12-15-22, 08:07 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
At the limit. I'd opt for a link-pair longer.
This
Old 12-15-22, 08:16 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

A link pair longer with a new chain worked out perfect.

Someone got really tired supervising and inspecting.

67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 12-17-22, 02:39 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Yes, if he adds a link and the RD can still take up the slack of small-small, it is OK.

That said, I think the original chain length posted is OK. There are bends around the jockey wheels so it's not too tight.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 12-17-22, 03:35 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

BITD sizing chains trial and error wasn't an issue. Cut it short and decide you made a mistake? No issue, take out the chain tool and splice a few links back in.

However, these days, lengthening a chain is problematic, so one has to get it right the first time, or if using a reusable connector, start long then cut shorter if needed to. Non-reusable connectors still allow a chain to be cut again, with the only issue being the cost of a new link.

So, for the O, and anyone else sizing a chain, here's my process which ensures I won't be doing it twice.

1- measure for MINIMUM length by threading the chain and looping big/big, pulling the lower loop forward until the RD is near max. Count the number of overlapped links, to determine how many you could cut off if you chose to.

2- move to small/small and pull the lower loop forward until the RD cage is pulled off the rewind stop. Count the overlapped links to know how many need to be cut off.

3- Now that you know the most and least to cut, you have the freedom to pick within that range. Owing to a habit I developed BITD when stiff links were an issue, I generally cut the chain the longest that is OK. This allows (allowed) the option of cutting out a damaged link in the field and still be OK.

Lastly, if you have an old reusable connector (even if not suitable for that chain) you can use it to double check the length by running through the gears before finalizing the length.

Otherwise, keep in mind the carpenter's lament, "I cut it twice, and it's still too short".

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-17-22, 06:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
As long as it turns freely without any binding, it's fine.
Originally Posted by Pratt
Two points here. 1) the chain goes tightest climbing onto the cog, then settles down in between the teeth. So it can run fine in the large-large and still be problematic while shifting. When I've had things go wrong, it's always been during the shift, not JRA.

2) A too loose small-small is rarely an issue beyond bad sounds (of the chain rubbing itself at the folded back lower idler pulley or dragging on the chainstay) and paint wear on the chainstay. I've set up triples many times with small-small chain rub and felt completely free to use that combo on long climbs that leveled out for a while and simply did not want to do a pair of double shifts. By contrast, big-big issues have me reaching into my pockets - for the cell phone now and wallet later.
Old 12-17-22, 06:44 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Two points here. 1) the chain goes tightest climbing onto the cog, then settles down in between the teeth. So it can run fine in the large-large and still be problematic while shifting. When I've had things go wrong, it's always been during the shift, not JRA.
Being able to climb up to the largest cog can easily be tested in the stand while running through the gears. If it doesn't bind, it's fine.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
2) A too loose small-small is rarely an issue beyond bad sounds (of the chain rubbing itself at the folded back lower idler pulley or dragging on the chainstay) and paint wear on the chainstay. I've set up triples many times with small-small chain rub and felt completely free to use that combo on long climbs that leveled out for a while and simply did not want to do a pair of double shifts. By contrast, big-big issues have me reaching into my pockets - for the cell phone now and wallet later.
Small-small should never go slack. There sound always be a little tension.
Old 12-17-22, 07:52 PM
FBinNY 

Being able to climb up to the largest cog can easily be tested in the stand while running through the gears. If it doesn't bind, it's fine.

Small-small should never go slack. There sound always be a little tension.
Never is too big a word here. Obviously, being to run small/small without slack, or the chain doubled back on itself is SOP, but there are situations where It's the best compromise.

While needing to be OK big/big is critical because of the consequences small/small slack has no consequences.

So running an over long chain makes sense if the gear range exceeds RD capacity. It's a common issue for road triples using a "bail out" granny.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 12-17-22, 08:02 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Never is too big a word here. Obviously, being to run small/small without slack, or the chain doubled back on itself is SOP, but there are situations where It's the best compromise.

While needing to be OK big/big is critical because of the consequences small/small slack has no consequences.

So running an over long chain makes sense if the gear range exceeds RD capacity. It's a common issue for road triples using a "bail out" granny.
If it becomes an either/or thing, you need to get the proper RD. Otherwise it is a hack at best.

Last edited by Lombard; 12-18-22 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-17-22, 08:13 PM
FBinNY 

If it becomes and either/or thing, you need to get the proper RD. Otherwise it is a hack at best.
Your hack is my reasoned choice

Back in the Bronze Age, I was touring using a Record 10s (5×2) system with a wide freewheel and half step gearing. It was fine for most rides, but when planning for some serious climbs, I opted for a different crank, using the same steps, plus a granny.

The arrangement allowed me to enjoy the gearing that served me well, with some bonus low end options for when I needed them.

Old 12-18-22, 10:23 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

If it becomes an either/or thing, you need to get the proper RD. Otherwise it is a hack at best.
I would love to find a serviceable Chorus or Record medium cage RD in 10 speed but so far my searching has yielded nothing. I’m right on the edge with short cage, 50/34 crankset, and 13/29 cassette. The gearing works well for where and how I ride and shifting is good.

67'er
Old 12-18-22, 03:42 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

I would love to find a serviceable Chorus or Record medium cage RD in 10 speed but so far my searching has yielded nothing. I’m right on the edge with short cage, 50/34 crankset, and 13/29 cassette. The gearing works well for where and how I ride and shifting is good.

Not sure about Campy, but Shimano is quite conservative with their ratings. Shimano claims their mid cage derailleur only works up to a 32T cog, but I run an 11-34T with a 34/50 compact crank and it works perfectly - no binding in large-large, no slacking in small-small.
Old 12-20-22, 08:39 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I exceed the stated wrap capacity of SRAM AXS RDs and don't care if the chain is slightly loose in the small ring and next to smallest sprocket. The RD doesn't even allow shifting to the small/small. I use the little ring for steep climbs and don't use it much more than necessary. I have three bikes with the same 415mm chain stay length. I like using the chain length formula to know just how much excess length I have and I know that each tooth needs 1/4 inch of chain. With a 46/30 and a 10-36 cassette, the minimum length is 54.18 inches. A 54 will work, since having a full inch of excess to go through the RD isn't necessary, but I use a 55 inch length. I can change to a 48/31 crank and/or a 10-33 cassette with no problem.

To get the length, add the big ring and largest sprockets and divide by 4. Add twice the chain stay length. Add 1 inch. Chain lengths are always a whole number in inches. If the length is over a whole number by less than 0.25 inch, the shorter length may work, but it's always best to round up.
​​​​
Old 12-20-22, 09:53 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,775 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
BITD sizing chains trial and error wasn't an issue.
I don't know about Campagnolo, but sizing chains for Shimano drivetrains BITD was never "trial and error." you simply followed their chain installation instructions.
Likes For smd4:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.