Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-15, 06:15 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
We played follow the leader and celebrated with a Batman Cookie! It was a truly a wonderful moment this past weekend.
Nice! Batman cookies will make just about any moment wonderful.

Yesterday's ride home wasn't too bad. Some rain clouds gave me shade but didn't drop anything until after I got home. I was half hoping they would rinse me off a bit.

71F / 97% humidity / 70F dew point made for a pretty wet morning. But I didn't mind the 14+ miles at all.
Old 07-28-15, 08:53 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Took a day off yesterday (from work not riding!). This morning was mid 70's with 150% humidity (an exaggeration, I know that's not possible). In the forested area of my ride it was like a spooky movie with fog, mist, and dripping leaves - kinda cool. Heat index is supposed to be 100F today with higher temps tomorrow.
Old 07-28-15, 10:10 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
So I wanted to ride some extra miles yesterday evening; since today is 60% chance of rain. (so far it is sunny) I pumped my tires up too much and the tire bead was outside the wheel. I stopped to let the air out some so that it would not pop the tube. I let so much out to get the bead inside my tire was low. I tried to use Co2 and cut the ride short. I did and still was not impressed with the way the tire felt. So as I sat on the side of the road trying to figure out what to do next a guy in riding gear walks up and says do you need help.... To make a longer story short we located a pump and I ended up riding 23.9 miles "home" yesterday.

I left early enough this morning to ride some extra miles. FYI the humidity is back. I was dripping.
Old 07-28-15, 10:11 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
...- kinda cool.
cool as in neat or cool temperature? Sounds kinda soupy to me.
Old 07-28-15, 10:16 AM
arsprod 

Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
cool as in neat or cool temperature? Sounds kinda soupy to me.
hah, both!
Old 07-28-15, 10:19 AM
Goriot

Bikes: CAAD 9 Tiagra, DaVinci Madrid, DaVinci Oslo, CAAD 10 (one day)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shout out to Vancouver commuters- this summer has been too nice (warm and dry).
I wish my extremely short commute (3k) was longer sometimes!
Only problem is too much congestion at the bike stands
Old 07-28-15, 11:16 AM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Morning commute was fine, but it felt like the start of a hot day. When I got to the street by my workplace, an oncoming car made a left turn, which was legal because the light was red for us and green for him. But when the light turned green for us, he left his car blocking 2 of the 3 lanes, because he didn't want to move his car a bit to the right to get around the car that prevented him from driving perfectly straight after his turn.

I got off the road and rode on the sidewalk around him and the backed up car traffic, then returned to the road.

Had a near-accident with another cyclist at the corner of my workplace building - she rocketed around the corner and stopped just short of colliding with me. She looked like a college student - hopefully she learned to slow down before blind corners, and turn a little wide if turning left.

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 07-28-15 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-29-15, 04:57 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
If I ever say I love the rain you have permission to slap me! Probably shouldn't ride with lightning but ehh screw it. If it's my time it could be lightning, a car or most likely my wife! Wasn't a bad temp at least.
Old 07-29-15, 06:26 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
During these past 6 weeks, any morning that starts out rain free makes for a great commute. So, the 98% humidity we've had the past two mornings can be ignored because the roads were dry and the winds blew not at all.
Old 07-29-15, 06:56 AM
arsprod 

Originally Posted by esmith2039
If I ever say I love the rain you have permission to slap me! Probably shouldn't ride with lightning but ehh screw it. If it's my time it could be lightning, a car or most likely my wife! Wasn't a bad temp at least.
Only if you slap me too! Can't say I love rain but it used to be fun, until this year when it became a daily fact of life. With that said, heat indexes are supposed to be over 100F today but there's a chance of rain. I'll take the rain!
Old 07-29-15, 07:01 AM
mgw4jc

Pretty wet ride this morning without rain. High humidity and 71F dew point make for no sweat evaporation.

Here's something I just heard some DJs on the radio talking about. Apparently a car was parked in a way that it was blocking a bike lane, so He-Man coming through on his bike stops, moves the car, and rides off.
Old 07-29-15, 07:13 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Dodged a bullet yesterday. Although the forecast was calling for only a 20-30% chance of rain, the sky was black when I left work in the afternoon. I thought for certain I would end up riding into a thunderstorm on my way home. However, as my route turned more from an easterly to northeasterly to north, the sky brightened, but it was also black toward the NW. Anyway, I managed to thread the needle between storm cells and made it home unscathed, albeit drenched from sweat.

Caught just about every red light on the way to work this morning. I was making good time otherwise, but all of the stops drove down my average speed. I recently ordered some new tires (Panaracer Gravelgrinders) and a computer, which arrived in the mail this week. I've been too tired after work to install them yet, but looking forward to it because the Rivendell Ruffy Tuffys that I've been using for a few weeks are the slowest tires I have ever ridden on. Very annoying, although they ride nicely and are supposed to wear well.
Old 07-29-15, 08:02 AM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by esmith2039
If I ever say I love the rain you have permission to slap me!
Yeah, I'm a bit soggy from the ride this morning as well. I rode in a bit later today to avoid the lightening. It was a light, steady rain all the way in, but at least no thunderstorms.
Old 07-29-15, 10:55 AM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Got caught in the rain on my evening commute yesterday. The weather forecast said there would be scattered showers, but I happened to pick just the right time to get showered on. I commute in quick-drying clothes, so I wasn't soaked for long.
Old 07-29-15, 02:08 PM
timvan_78

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX8, Caad10, Marin BearValley, WTP BMX, Norco Tandem

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Goriot
this summer has been too nice (warm and dry). Only problem is too much congestion at the bike stands
Love it!!! Lots of fast riding too.
Old 07-30-15, 01:51 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Commuted everyday this week in hot and humid weather, and most of it has been great, even into the wind. The way home tonight will be last commute for about three weeks. I'll be visiting the U.S. for the first time in about six years, and my kids will be going there for their first time. So, my legs will turn to puddy, I'll gain 15lbs from pizza, ice cream, and soda, but still... home.
Old 07-30-15, 05:10 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 96 Posts
It was a nice uneventful commute on my 10 mile route.
Old 07-30-15, 06:24 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
This was my innaugural ride from our new home, 7.8 miles gliding blissfully into my office. I hadn't realized how hilly my new neighborhood is. The first 3.5 miles have some significant climbs for not being warmed up yet. Anyhow, bicycle commuting was the reason that we moved in so close to work. So, I guess that I'm grateful.

And, the new commuter bike is fabulous. Really excellent.
Old 07-30-15, 06:28 AM
esmith2039

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Cooler this morning.. up and down temps are a drag IMO. Was able to ride a bit faster this morning. Haven't been feeling right this week. Leaving for a trip tomorrow so driving and will have a week off. Think I may have to start taking more days off and driving. Wonder if it's the area I ride through who knows what pollution is in air. Or maybe I'm just a whimp lol!
Old 07-30-15, 06:32 AM
mgw4jc

A little bit of a shower for about half of my ride home last night. It was really light though and served more to cool me off than anything.

Plenty of humidity this morning. One stretch of road has had a "Mowing In Progress" sign with a lane partially blocked all this week. It isn't really mowing, but tree trimming. An arm with some sort of mowing type blade cuts back any tree branches hanging too close to the road below a certain height. It shreds it all up pretty good and leaves a mess of splintered trees in the ditch.
Old 07-30-15, 07:10 AM
arsprod 

And we're back in the 60's... Got a flat on the ride home yesterday and discovered changing a tire in 100 degree weather with torrential waterfalling sweat is an interesting endeavor. Fortunately, I found some shade, took it really slowly, and co2 cartridges are brilliant. I think if I had to pump up the tire I would have passed out.
Old 07-30-15, 07:20 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,665 Times in 965 Posts
Had a little fun this morning on the way in. Passing a young whippersnapper salmoning on the other side of the road he decided he couldn't let an old man pass him. He was riding a stump jumper but he poured on the coals!

I pushed my speed from 16mph to almost 18mph and decided to see how far he could hold on. 3/4 mi later we came to a red light where I stopped and he didn't. Figured that was it. But he lost his hat and stopped for it. He beat me to the next light 1/2 mi on and turned the same direction I was going. 1/4 mi later he stopped to take his shirt off and I passed him.
Old 07-30-15, 08:33 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Considered driving today because earlier forecasts were calling for storms with the passage of a cold front this afternoon. However, forecasts this morning were predicting the storms wouldn't arrive until 8 pm or later, so I decided to ride after all. Hopefully the more recent forecasts prove correct because I rode one of my bikes without fenders and don't feel like riding home in a storm. I needed one more ride to top 500 miles commuting for the month and wanted to reach that goal, although the weather tomorrow is supposed to be nicer and less humid.
Old 07-30-15, 09:52 AM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Really enjoyable ride in today! Cooler temps, no wind and a nice sunrise.
Old 07-30-15, 02:11 PM
tclune

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Today's commute was nothing special, but yesterday's was freaky. I hit a squirrel on the trail, which kind of bummed both of us out. He's moved on to that great oak tree in the sky, but I'm still processing the event...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.