Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Basket or new pannier for wifey

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-15, 06:33 PM
Goriot

Bikes: CAAD 9 Tiagra, DaVinci Madrid, DaVinci Oslo, CAAD 10 (one day)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My partner is slowly getting into commuting and I'm trying to encourage it as much as possible. She's now clipped in (but with a classic fall just yesterday...)

Next I'd want to get her set up for commuting with either a pannier or a back basket. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I figure putting a basket might be the best because she could just keep her current bag and its versatile anyways. Pannier would be idea, but it would force a new bag, which might dampen enthusiasm...
Old 08-08-15, 07:25 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Personally, I don't like panniers. They are very practical, but most are ugly, annoying to carry around, and are heavier than an equivalent sized normal bag. And it doesn't go with my outfit.

I 100% vote for the basket so she can use her normal bag. And then maybe something to cover it if she plans to ride in wet weather. Also, I like small holes vs big holes so you can throw in stuff like your phone or keys or sunglasses.

I am rethinking my storage options now, but I do have this great basket, and I use it for groceries or ancillary stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/Basil-Memories.../dp/B0030SZ0HC

It comes in a few colors and easily fits a backpack with my laptop.

I am not loving my front basket right now. I want something a little bit bigger, as this one doesn't fit my favorite purse well. Or takeout and a purse. Or a small amount of groceries. Who knew, but I might have to go to a back basket. I also have a laptop friendly pannier. It is cute, but I do not like to carry it around off-bike. Works fine if I am going to a desk, and I can leave it there. I am currently debating my options.
Old 08-08-15, 08:04 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I really like Wald folding baskets,

582 Rear Folding Basket - Waldsports
Old 08-08-15, 08:21 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jade408
Personally, I don't like panniers. They are very practical, but most are ugly, annoying to carry around, and are heavier than an equivalent sized normal bag. And it doesn't go with my outfit.
I'm with you entirely on this- pretty much every pannier I've ever used either looks ugly, doesn't carry well, or is a pain to take on and off the bike, or just doesn't attach securely.

I've tried my hand at making a few, and I've gotten pretty close, but not quite the holy grail of 1. secure on the bike, 2. easy to take off the bike, 3. easy to carry off the bike and 4. not goofy looking.
Old 08-08-15, 09:42 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I have Basil Cote D'Azur panniers. They are permanently attached to my rack, they're rugged and indestructible and I can ferry home a month's worth of groceries in two round trips!

I wouldn't know what to do without them.
Old 08-09-15, 12:03 AM
Goriot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great thanks for the advice, I'm going for the basket. Definitely will need some type of rain cover for it. I guess the advantage is that she could also use my pannier any time...

BTW- I've recently taken to clipping my pannier to my belt when I'm walking around and its been amazing. The hooks clip perfectly onto my belt and its at the perfect level to open and add/remove items... I think its pretty slick. The J hook on my bag doesn't bother the leg at all.
Old 08-09-15, 01:18 AM
jade408

Originally Posted by Goriot
Great thanks for the advice, I'm going for the basket. Definitely will need some type of rain cover for it. I guess the advantage is that she could also use my pannier any time...

BTW- I've recently taken to clipping my pannier to my belt when I'm walking around and its been amazing. The hooks clip perfectly onto my belt and its at the perfect level to open and add/remove items... I think its pretty slick. The J hook on my bag doesn't bother the leg at all.
My outfit most days of the week is a dress. No belts.

Po Campo makes bags attractive in the Vera Bradley sort of way. Not really my style so I am still looking! If I were to permanently mount panniers, these are my choice at the moment:
PUBLIC Farmers Market Twin Pannier

The Brooks leather ones look awesome, but I bet they'd get jacked!

I do have this bag that clips in my basket:
Sackville ShopSack - MEDIUM - Grey
Old 08-09-15, 09:11 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
I like the dry closure Ortlieb , as my grocery run, Remove, fill them at the check out stand , clip them back on the bike rack and ride home .

utility pannier set... they dont stay on the bike when empty.
Old 08-09-15, 11:21 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Goriot
My partner is slowly getting into commuting and I'm trying to encourage it as much as possible. She's now clipped in (but with a classic fall just yesterday...)
Is she an experienced non-commuting rider.
I don't think it is wise to set newish riders on clipless pedals for commuting, the exception being a long, simple road.

Back to luggage, Basil are very stylish. Wicker baskets are as good, if not better than metal. I like Rixen and Kaul basket mounts.
Old 08-09-15, 03:13 PM
Goriot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelW
Is she an experienced non-commuting rider.
I don't think it is wise to set newish riders on clipless pedals for commuting, the exception being a long, simple road.

Back to luggage, Basil are very stylish. Wicker baskets are as good, if not better than metal. I like Rixen and Kaul basket mounts.

She's been clipped in for almost a year and agrees that she is faster and more powerful with it. I think the basket is the best idea, especially if it still allows a pannier to attach to the rack.

edit: long term goal is doing a bike tour in europe or something... need to get her on a road bike next. Its happening and personally this is one of my greatest pleasures, biking the hills around town with the person you love (and clipped in to boot!)

Last edited by Goriot; 08-09-15 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-09-15, 03:23 PM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like my Ortlieb panniers - they're waterproof, high visibility, can be carried with a shoulder strap that is fairly comfortable, can be easily taken on and off the rack, and can be secured to the rack so they don't flop around.

If your wife's bike is set up for both basket and panniers though, the basket was probably the safer choice.
Old 08-09-15, 10:18 PM
jade408

This is another choice on my list. I am really throwing my preferences at her. But personally, I am a semi-girlie woman. My normal outfits are dresses, structure purses and cute flats. So lugging around ortlieb panniers doesn't work for me. Too sporty.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/2032451...r-bag-shoulder