Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Seeking advice for new bike

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-16, 06:31 PM
sjw2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy my first bike in a long time. I've done some research and narrowed my choices. I really can't decide what kind of hybrid I want exactly. I do want some flexibility between riding on roads and trails. I don't need to commute. I would basically be looking to bike for fun and fitness. I would want to do some longer road trips, but also maybe some trails (though not very rugged trails). I don't really know how much I'll do each. I know it's a bit subjective, but any input is welcomed.

I'm looking at either a Cannondale Quick or Quick CX or a Specialized Sirrus or Crosstrail. Also maybe a Trek 7.2FX.

I test rode the Cannondales at a local bike shop. I actually did enjoy riding the CX as it was a noticeably smoother ride on the trail even though it wasn't very rough. It has lockout. The versatility of the CX is appealing, but I also worry I'll lose an annoying amount of speed on the longer road trips that will limit me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 06-10-16, 01:46 AM
Narb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a quick 4 last month. 2015 model for 460. I fuc*** love it and cant complain. I ride 100 miles a week around los angeles and it performs so damn good. Wanted suspension at first but the caebon fork is smooth and much faster.
Old 06-10-16, 04:10 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I'm not going to tell you which hybrid I bought, but I rode all of my favorites. Then one day I rode one that seemed to be
really a little bit different. I went back and rode it again and the rest is history.
Old 06-13-16, 02:47 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by sjw2
Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy my first bike in a long time. I've done some research and narrowed my choices. I really can't decide what kind of hybrid I want exactly. I do want some flexibility between riding on roads and trails. I don't need to commute. I would basically be looking to bike for fun and fitness. I would want to do some longer road trips, but also maybe some trails (though not very rugged trails). I don't really know how much I'll do each. I know it's a bit subjective, but any input is welcomed.

I'm looking at either a Cannondale Quick or Quick CX or a Specialized Sirrus or Crosstrail. Also maybe a Trek 7.2FX.

I test rode the Cannondales at a local bike shop. I actually did enjoy riding the CX as it was a noticeably smoother ride on the trail even though it wasn't very rough. It has lockout. The versatility of the CX is appealing, but I also worry I'll lose an annoying amount of speed on the longer road trips that will limit me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
My first gravel bike had a suspension fork. I thought it smoothed out the washboarded sections of road some, but with the rest of the overbuilt bike, it was a tank. Fine once I got it up to speed, but deep/wet sand/gravel was a killer. I got a gravel specific road bike, discovered that I really did not need a suspension fork, love the bike. I recently picked up a trek 7.2 (spouse has the cannondale quick) to use as foul weather, aka avoid getting grit stuck to/ and in the drive train of the good bike, bike. I'll probably change out the grips, but other than that, it does just fine on my gravel loops. I'll probably change out the tires to Challenge gravel grinders when it's time to swap out tires, which should make the ride pretty plush.