Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

TPU justification for tubulars

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-23, 08:46 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts

I read the TPU threads. $30 or $40 for a tube that saves you 40-60 grams over butyl.

They just had a special -- Vittoria Corsa tubular for $85 for a pair. A whole race tire with a lighter rim for the price of an inner tube.

No beef with TPU tubes. I'll probably get some. But for know I'm not going to feel too bad if I flat a tubular. It's cheaper than a day of golf.
Old 08-21-23, 08:53 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
It's not just the weight with TPU is the better ride and better rolling resistance. If you want to ride tubies go ahead if I were going to ride a bike with 25's I'd probably ride them too, just add a bit of tubeless sealant and you need to worry about flats
Old 08-21-23, 11:10 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,735 Times in 975 Posts
Ridenow TPU tubes are like $7 each.
The other advantage of TPU tubes is that they are easy to carry as spares. You can't say the same for your tubular tire now.
Old 08-22-23, 01:10 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 4,845 Times in 2,234 Posts
Tubulars = a good reccomendation for one's fast pavement bikes. I used sealant as a precaution, until a couple of stems got plugged. I probably stopped during first ride with valve stems at bottom on wheel. Anyway, I carry my sealant now. Makes for a longer stop to seal a flat, but never a valve stem concern. I very rarely flat.

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-22-23 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-22-23, 01:39 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense
I read the TPU threads. $30 or $40 for a tube that saves you 40-60 grams over butyl.

They just had a special -- Vittoria Corsa tubular for $85 for a pair. A whole race tire with a lighter rim for the price of an inner tube.

No beef with TPU tubes. I'll probably get some. But for know I'm not going to feel too bad if I flat a tubular. It's cheaper than a day of golf.
Care to share where this sale is? I am sure you are not the only one who would go for it.
Old 08-22-23, 04:13 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3152 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
Pirelli’s top tubular, P Zero Race SL use TPU tubes inside. It’s the tubular supplied to all their sponsored World Tour teams when not on tubeless. At over $100 per tubular, way more expensive than running TPU innertubes, so I’m glad I run clinchers!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-22-23, 06:13 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
On yesterday's ride I had a flat and replaced the rubber tube with a RideNow TPU tube. I bought some to carry for times like that. I bought them on AliExpress for about the same cost as rubber tubes. When I got home I put another TPU tube in my seat bag. Hopefully I won't use it for a long time.
Old 08-22-23, 06:27 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
I just received 2 aerothanes in the mail and when I picked up the package I thought it was empty.....
Old 08-22-23, 06:30 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Ridenow TPU tubes are like $7 each.
The other advantage of TPU tubes is that they are easy to carry as spares. You can't say the same for your tubular tire now.
This is the main reason I’m interested in TPU tubes ie emergency spare for my tubeless setup. They appear to be much less bulky than regular tubes.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 08-22-23, 08:33 AM
ljsense

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
Care to share where this sale is? I am sure you are not the only one who would go for it.
Of course -- it's at Excel Sports. Someone pointed me to it in the Totally Tubular thread.

https://www.excelsports.com/vittoria...ad-tire-2-pack

I ordered a pair and they look great, arrived quickly.
Likes For ljsense:
Old 08-22-23, 09:00 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by PeteHski
This is the main reason I’m interested in TPU tubes ie emergency spare for my tubeless setup. They appear to be much less bulky than regular tubes.
That’s what big TPU companies and their media lackeys want you to think. They have ways of manipulating the images to make their old, warmed-over technology look smaller than butyl. Next thing you know, they’ll fade you into believing they’re more durable, have less rolling resistance, weigh less, and hold pressure better, too. They won’t stop until we’re all back in tubes! This battle between Big TPU and Big Tubeless is ruining cycling! Jan Heine for UCI President 2024!!!
Old 08-22-23, 09:59 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 382 Posts
Wonder what the weight savings for a 26x4.8 would be....
Old 08-22-23, 10:05 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,735 Times in 975 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Pirelli’s top tubular, P Zero Race SL use TPU tubes inside.
Seems to be the worst of both worlds. You don't get the puncture resistance of latex and you can't use sealant (I don't think) in case of a puncture.
Old 08-22-23, 10:13 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

I run my tubulars at a pretty high pressure (but nowhere near 175psi - the rated max). Vittoria (in clinchers) has always been my 'go to' tire. I was a little disappointed in the Vittoria Corsa tubulars, not as supple a feel as I was expecting. Mine are 25mm.

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-22-23 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-22-23, 11:15 AM
PeteHski

That’s what big TPU companies and their media lackeys want you to think. They have ways of manipulating the images to make their old, warmed-over technology look smaller than butyl. Next thing you know, they’ll fade you into believing they’re more durable, have less rolling resistance, weigh less, and hold pressure better, too. They won’t stop until we’re all back in tubes! This battle between Big TPU and Big Tubeless is ruining cycling! Jan Heine for UCI President 2024!!!
What stops me buying one as an emergency spare is the very mixed reviews in terms of reliability out of the box, especially reports of fragile, leaky plastic valve stems. This season I have been riding without a spare tube. Relying on sealant and Dynaplugs. The idea of a very compact, lightweight tube still appeals as a last resort back-up, but not if there's a high chance it might fail out of the box. In that regard I have more confidence in a regular tube, but don't like the extra bulk.
Old 08-22-23, 01:04 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Seems to be the worst of both worlds. You don't get the puncture resistance of latex and you can't use sealant (I don't think) in case of a puncture.
Puncture resistance could certainly be better than latex, but pro racers don’t fix flats on the road anyway, so they’re almost certainly after the weight savings compared to a latex tubed tubular.
Old 08-22-23, 01:11 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

What stops me buying one as an emergency spare is the very mixed reviews in terms of reliability out of the box, especially reports of fragile, leaky plastic valve stems. This season I have been riding without a spare tube. Relying on sealant and Dynaplugs. The idea of a very compact, lightweight tube still appeals as a last resort back-up, but not if there's a high chance it might fail out of the box. In that regard I have more confidence in a regular tube, but don't like the extra bulk.
Never heard of those problems, and haven’t experienced it in any of the 6 TPU tubes I have in service or the 8 I’ve used.

I don’t use $8 China-direct TPU tubes, though.
Old 08-22-23, 01:36 PM
PeteHski

Never heard of those problems, and haven’t experienced it in any of the 6 TPU tubes I have in service or the 8 I’ve used.

I don’t use $8 China-direct TPU tubes, though.
I was reading reviews of Tubolito and Ridenow. They both appear to have potential issues with the valve stems. Also read somewhere about the valve stems not sealing well with my Silca mini-pump head. Enough bad user reviews to put me off for now.
Old 08-22-23, 03:23 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I was reading reviews of Tubolito and Ridenow. They both appear to have potential issues with the valve stems. Also read somewhere about the valve stems not sealing well with my Silca mini-pump head. Enough bad user reviews to put me off for now.
Hmm, yeah, not heard of those as widespread problems, but I selected Aerothan, and have only used Aerothan, based on the fullness of their technical marketing presentation, which, because it was clear and specific in its explanations and claims, gave me confidence that it was a soundly conceived and well-engineered product. I was not impressed with Tubolito’s presentation, which as I recall was centered on lightweight, whereas Schwalbe claimed specific achievements in weight reduction as well, but also puncture resistance, cut resistance, rolling resistance and presented test results to back it up, with comps to butyl, latex, and a “plastic tube” indicated in orange, a thinly veiled reference to Tubolito, I assumed.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-22-23, 05:45 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,100 Times in 3,833 Posts
This is exactly what I have done, and why I’ve done it. 2 TPU tubes takes up the same or less space than 1 butyl tube, and weigh less.
Old 08-22-23, 05:59 PM
PeteHski

Hmm, yeah, not heard of those as widespread problems, but I selected Aerothan, and have only used Aerothan, based on the fullness of their technical marketing presentation, which, because it was clear and specific in its explanations and claims, gave me confidence that it was a soundly conceived and well-engineered product. I was not impressed with Tubolito’s presentation, which as I recall was centered on lightweight, whereas Schwalbe claimed specific achievements in weight reduction as well, but also puncture resistance, cut resistance, rolling resistance and presented test results to back it up, with comps to butyl, latex, and a “plastic tube” indicated in orange, a thinly veiled reference to Tubolito, I assumed.
Aerothans do seem to have a better reputation. When I was looking at options about a year ago they were impossible to find in stock here, so I eventually gave up. I should check them out again.
Old 08-23-23, 01:14 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense
Of course -- it's at Excel Sports. Someone pointed me to it in the Totally Tubular thread.
https://www.excelsports.com/vittoria...ad-tire-2-pack
I ordered a pair and they look great, arrived quickly.
Thanks for that. I didn't get the Vittoria but they do have my go-to Cont Sprinter tire in a 2 pack. They usually sell for 80-90 here so basically 2 for 1 deal. Thanks !
Old 08-23-23, 08:56 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 357 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I run my tubulars at a pretty high pressure (but nowhere near 175psi - the rated max).
How much do you weigh? Is this a track bike? The experience of decades says that if you need over 100 psi on the road then you should be on wider tires. Pumping to that pressure does not make you faster as suspension losses climb dramatically due to the super hard tire having essentially no compliance. Higher pressures mean less traction, faster tire wear, and reduced comfort for no benefit in rolling resistance. What's not to like?
Old 08-23-23, 11:00 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

I ride smooth roads, I guess.
Too much 'compliance' feels mushy - fine if you ride straight lines. Not fine if you descend at 30+mph on a twisty road, as I do on every ride from my home = ~95% of all my rides. YMMV
Old 08-23-23, 04:09 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Aerothans do seem to have a better reputation. When I was looking at options about a year ago they were impossible to find in stock here, so I eventually gave up. I should check them out again.
Also, just the other day I realized that Eclipse are in business; dunno if you've looked at those, but they use metal valve stems which may be of interest to you.

I'd thought Eclipse disappeared many years ago, but apparently not! I went back to look at BRR's TPU Crr test, and saw Eclipse had been added to the original test results sometime last year. They're pretty hard to find, but this E. Dubied place, somewhere in Germany, seem to be the main source, although I didn't look all that much:
https://edubied.com/products/eclipse-endurance-tube
Likes For chaadster:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.