Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bottom Bracket Upgrade

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bottom Bracket Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-21, 02:47 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
No argument regarding using a chaser to restore the threads if compromised, and I wasn't implying that your advise wasn't sound. I'm also certain you could restore the threads if they're damaged. (Not sure if I could or not, never had to do it so I haven't tried.)

But if the OP (1) indeed has a Swiss-threaded BB shell, (2) can't find another Swiss BB (or can't afford a Phil Wood BB, which I understand can still be had with Swiss cups), and (3) can't restore his current BB to usefulness, he may be left with precious few other options if he wants to keep using the frame. One of those options would be to use a repair/threadless BB.

My intent was simply to highlight one potential "gotcha" if using a repair/threadless bottom bracket: it's very likely available in JIS square taper only. You're IMO likely correct that that limitation won't be a problem. I've always thought it best to know about a possible issue in advance and make an informed decision regarding accepting a potential risk, even if that risk is small.
Agreed, and to further expound on the gotcha, they are always implied IME, the glass is always half empty, fail to plan, plan to fail.

Going in with delusions of grandeur and success are a surefire way to insure you may experience neither.

Be careful and realistic, play to your strengths, know when you really need the proper tool before you muck it up since after the fact it may not save you.
Old 09-09-21, 03:35 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
If the frame is indeed Swiss-threaded (and reputedly at least some Motobecanes of that era were), you may be out of luck in finding a new bottom bracket at all - particularly if you're looking for a modern external-cup version. My understanding is that that BB standard is now completely obsolete and was also rare even 30-40 years ago. But perhaps someone with more knowledge than I on this forum can point you at a source.
Interloc Racing Design (IRD) sells Swiss, Italian, and French cups for use with their QB-55, QB-75, and QB-95 cartridge-style JIS square taper bottom brackets for 68 mm shells. The bottom brackets come with English cups, and the "conversion cups" are sold separately.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 09-09-21, 03:39 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by John Valuk
Interloc Racing Design (IRD) sells Swiss, Italian, and French cups for use with their QB-55, QB-75, and QB-95 cartridge-style JIS square taper bottom brackets for 68 mm shells. The bottom brackets come with English cups, and the "conversion cups" are sold separately.
Thanks. I figured someone here would know whether such a product was still currently made or not (other than possibly by Phil Wood).

Unfortunately, that won't help the OP with his desire to use a large-spindle SRAM crank. But it does give him another option besides a threadless BB or rehabbing his current BB.
Old 09-09-21, 03:49 PM
John Valuk

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 109 Posts
Thanks. I figured someone here would know whether such a product was still currently made or not (other than possibly by Phil Wood).

Unfortunately, that won't help the OP with his desire to use a large-spindle SRAM crank. But it does give him another option besides a threadless BB or rehabbing his current BB.
I offered that as general information for anyone who might stumble across this thread, and was trying to solve a Swiss-threaded BB problem.

For the OP's situation, if it were Swiss, then I would look to Phil Wood. I see Swiss / GXP there for $184/set, but they show as sold out at the moment.

Last edited by John Valuk; 09-09-21 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-09-21, 04:56 PM
nunavutpanther

Bikes: Cube peloton 2010, BMC SLR03

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As I don't have any tool to make a chaser, I took the old cups to the local bike shop to ask for the cuts on the cups; They told me that the old cups are English threaded. As they were excited to see a four-decade old Motobecane, they offered free threading of the BB shell (and they said everything is OK, just that the bike is very old and perhaps the BB hasn't been touched for decades).

I just installed the two cups: the drive side is tight, but the non-drive side has still a tiny gap after putting enough force to tighten it (see the photo). Any thoughts if this gap is OK? The BB came with two spacers, though everywhere in the net that I checked says the spacers are not needed (68mm BB). Does anybody recommend using them? Or maybe only one for the non-drive side with the tiny gap? I installed the Sram Rival crankset and everything seems to be fine.

Old 09-09-21, 06:13 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by nunavutpanther
As I don't have any tool to make a chaser, I took the old cups to the local bike shop to ask for the cuts on the cups; They told me that the old cups are English threaded. As they were excited to see a four-decade old Motobecane, they offered free threading of the BB shell (and they said everything is OK, just that the bike is very old and perhaps the BB hasn't been touched for decades).

I just installed the two cups: the drive side is tight, but the non-drive side has still a tiny gap after putting enough force to tighten it (see the photo). Any thoughts if this gap is OK? The BB came with two spacers, though everywhere in the net that I checked says the spacers are not needed (68mm BB). Does anybody recommend using them? Or maybe only one for the non-drive side with the tiny gap? I installed the Sram Rival crankset and everything seems to be fine.

So the bike shop chased the BB ? that should allow both cups to be completely seated...
'Chasing' actually re-cuts the threads... cleanly... takes away burrs, dirt and rust on older BB...
If you feel comfortable with where you are now - I would add a 'spacer' between non-drive cup and BB, spacer just a hair thicker than the remaining space...
Point is its Better to be able to snug down the cup before you try to 'force' it further... You could damage ALL the threading if you force past this point...
If the threading becomes damaged, it may 'strip' in use. Cups are alloy, after all....
Important to have the cup supported/snugged against the BB shell exterior to prevent eventual distortion and rocking of the cup...
Thx
Yuri
EDIT: I'm assuming that the non-drive crankarm is not fully seated, because you haven't seated it fully, yet...

Last edited by cyclezen; 09-09-21 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-09-21, 07:32 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts

If the bottom bracket shell is shy of 68mm wide, then a gap is to be expected when using a 68mm cartridge unit. I would take it as a sign that the bottom bracket is fully torqued together -- adding spacers as a "feel good" measure could actually interfere with getting the cups torqued against the main unit properly!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-10-21, 06:30 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
what if any markings (stampings) are on the cup?
I didn't find anything!
Sometimes the marks are somewhat arcane; rather than explicitly stating the thread spec, cup shape, presence or absence of rings, etc. were used to indicate thread spec:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bb-cup-markings.jpg (223.7 KB, 32 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson: