Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Correct psi for my tire

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Correct psi for my tire

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-22, 09:13 PM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Correct psi for my tire

I just bought a new tire for my rear and only after buying it looked at what the pressure requires. It's an Ultra Cycle Flamenco, low end hybrid tire and the sidewall reads: Max. Inflate to 40 psi. No range, just that exact number. Any opinions on this? And what would you recommend I inflate it to? I'm on a loaded bike, have a thorn liner in it and I only weigh 120. I felt like I got b.s.ed with the shop's answer and KHS hasn't responded (they make them or own the company). Thanks.
Old 07-22-22, 09:20 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
How is anyone supposed to have an opinion when you haven't bothered to say anything about the size of the tire?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-23-22, 05:12 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I assume it's the 26" x 1.95" version. 40psi seems plenty.
Old 07-23-22, 08:24 AM
travelinhobo

Bikes: I'm not a guy - brand doesn't matter.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Dear nasty person. There it is. The bikeforums attitude I've missed. I'm sorry I'm not perfect like you - perhaps in my next life. Yes, it's a 26x1.95.
Likes For travelinhobo:
Old 07-23-22, 08:35 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I’d start with 40 psi and see how it feels and handles. Lower it from there if you aren’t getting pinch flats and you want more comfort.
Old 07-23-22, 08:41 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Fill the tires until they squish down about 1/4 -1/3 or the distance off the pavement while you sit in your usual position. Ride them. See if you'd like more or less air. (I'm guessing the first criteria will require maybe 30 psi, less in front.) Tires are not an exact science. But too much pressure can lead to the bead lifting off the rim or the sidewall blowing out or the rim sidewall breaking. Any of these events could be very hard on your eardrums.
Old 07-23-22, 09:35 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
https://silca.cc/pages/sppc-form
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 07-23-22, 09:42 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by travelinhobo
Dear nasty person. There it is. The bikeforums attitude I've missed. I'm sorry I'm not perfect like you - perhaps in my next life. Yes, it's a 26x1.95.
How was I 'nasty'?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 07-23-22, 10:27 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
While cxwrench can be a bit blunt at times, he has a point. When asking for advice, giving all the relevant information you have up-front certainly helps the person(s) who might give advice.

Here, you're the one asking for free help (in terms of advice). Seems to me it shouldn't be too much trouble to provide as much info as possible up-front so that the people you're asking for help can, well, help you more easily. Doing that's also IMO likely to increase the quality of the help (advice) you get.

But that's just me. Do what you like.
Old 07-23-22, 10:38 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
I just bought a new tire for my rear and only after buying it looked at what the pressure requires. It's an Ultra Cycle Flamenco, low end hybrid tire and the sidewall reads: Max. Inflate to 40 psi. No range, just that exact number. Any opinions on this? And what would you recommend I inflate it to? I'm on a loaded bike, have a thorn liner in it and I only weigh 120. I felt like I got b.s.ed with the shop's answer and KHS hasn't responded (they make them or own the company). Thanks.
My explanation of the optimal tyre pressure (depending on the tyre size and rider+bike+luggage weight).

If you determine the optimal pressure for that tyre size is over its designated maximum pressure, look for a wider or higher-quality tyre (one not excluding the other).
Old 07-23-22, 11:12 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Which would be referred to as a "mountain bike" tire, not hybrid.
Hybrids have a 622mm BSD which is about a 24.5", not 559mm which is 22".
Old 07-23-22, 02:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Which would be referred to as a "mountain bike" tire, not hybrid.
Hybrids have a 622mm BSD which is about a 24.5", not 559mm which is 22".
I don't completely agree with ISO diameter dictates the bike category. The biggest example are 29ers that have "your" hybrid rim diameter but are considered the MtB way by many. In the shop I still work at (been trying to retire for a few years...) any flat bar bike with a mixed road/dirt tread is a hybrid. This still bothers me as when I see "hybrid" on the bike description I look for a 622 ISO wheeled bike too. But then it was only a decade ago when we would call a drop bar bike with 32ish wide tires that weren't CX treaded a touring bike... (Real story- On one on my first rides with the local club I rode my sew up equipped bike, double crankset, Campy short reach calipers BUT a handle bar bag over my rear wheel on my self made SPT. One guy asked about why I rode a touring bike...)

This description stuff reminds me of how others who don't make their own music seem to want to apply labels to the music they don't make. Andy

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 07-23-22 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-23-22, 02:16 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
At 120 pounds, there is no way I would run 40 psi. Assuming the bike is around 30 pounds, I would go around 30-32 pounds. Probably a pound less in the front. 31F 32R is what I would do. 40 PSI will jar your teeth.
Old 07-23-22, 02:26 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
At 120 pounds, there is no way I would run 40 psi. Assuming the bike is around 30 pounds, I would go around 30-32 pounds. Probably a pound less in the front. 31F 32R is what I would do. 40 PSI will jar your teeth.
"I'm on a loaded bike, have a thorn liner in it" the OP
So, the rider weight is not the only weight the tires are seeing. Wish we knew how much more.

No one has mentioned the tire liner. The most popular brand has a reputation of causing flats if the tires are run with too little pressures for their loads. The ends of the ribbon/liner can act as scrapers against the tube. The less the pressure the greater the squirm that results in the ribbon/liner's end chaffing the tube.

These are two reasons why the "best pressure" question is not formulaic, but experiential. Andy
Old 07-23-22, 02:28 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
"I'm on a loaded bike, have a thorn liner in it" the OP
So, the rider weight is not the only weight the tires are seeing. Wish we knew how much more.

No one has mentioned the tire liner. The most popular brand has a reputation of causing flats if the tires are run with too little pressures for their loads. The ends of the ribbon/liner can act as scrapers against the tube. The less the pressure the greater the squirm that results in the ribbon/liner's end chaffing the tube.

These are two reasons why the "best pressure" question is not formulaic, but experiential. Andy
Yes, I added 30 pounds for the bike, but not the load. No idea what the load is. Even assuming another 40 pounds for the load, I wouldn't go over 33 or so for the rear. Even if the OP, bike and load was 250 pounds, it would only need 35 pounds,.
Old 07-23-22, 02:31 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I don't completely agree with ISO diameter dictates the bike category. The biggest example are 29ers that have "your" hybrid rim diameter but are considered the MtB way by many. In the shop I still work at (been trying to retire for a few years...) any flat bar bike with a mixed road/dirt tread is a hybrid. This still bothers me as when I see "hybrid" on the bike description I look for a 622 ISO wheeled bike too. But then it was only a decade ago when we would call a drop bar bike with 32ish wide tires that weren't CX treaded a touring bike... (Real story- On one on my first rides with the local club I rode my sew up equipped bike, double crankset, Campy short reach calipers BUT a handle bar bag over my rear wheel on my self made SPT. One guy asked about why I rode a touring bike...)

This description stuff reminds me of how others who don't make their own music seem to want to apply labels to the music they don't make. Andy
That's how my LBS described the difference, although that was before the introduction of 29'rs. The term "Cruiser" wasn't really popular yet either.
Old 07-23-22, 05:21 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
I like the SRAM calculator. It’s easier for me to make adjustments and recalculate. My guess is 29 psi front and 31 psi rear to start. But go try yourself. It’s fun 🤩.

https://axs.sram.com/guides/tire/pressure