Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cleaning questions after riding my bike through a tornado

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-23, 01:03 AM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 69 Posts

Ok so not right through it but it was close, still messed up some buildings and uprooted some big trees in the area. This was last year. I haven't ridden that bike since, but want to get it cleaned up. It's a hybrid(ish) so MTB drivetrain (M8000), brakes (M6000), etc.. There's powdery grit driven and packed into every little crevice, winds were ~120km/h (the hail was very exfoliating lol), and I was on a dirty country road. The drivetrain is not much of a big deal, I've disassembled enough derailleurs and I'll throw most of it in the ultrasonic parts cleaner. The things I'm wondering about are the things that usually aren't disassembled as part of regular maintenance like shifters, and pedals, and hubs. The wheels are all DT so easily disassembled I guess, then there's the brakes.... Its MTB gear and must be meant to handle some dirt but this might be beyond it's intended use. I know the right answer is probably to tear down and rebuild everything but I was hoping for some feedback before I go to that extreme.
Old 02-08-23, 02:01 AM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Uh ... pics?
Of?
Old 02-08-23, 02:12 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I'd do the cleaning you can get to without major disassembly and ride it. You'll know soon enough if the hubs, brakes or shifters need work.
Likes For Joe Remi:
Old 02-08-23, 10:19 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 907 Times in 383 Posts
Sorry. I just had to!
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 02-08-23, 01:24 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
In addition the the Wizard of Oz reference, I’m also thinking “Typical cyclist. Rides bike through tornado but appears more concerned about the condition of the bike than personal safety.” I’d do the same thing.

Dan
Old 02-08-23, 01:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Depends entirely on you and what makes you feel good. You can tear everything apart, clean it, lube, reassemble and readjust if that is what is fun for you. Or you can just dust it off and get the easy stuff and address the other things as they become issues.

I don't see either as totally wrong. The time you spend doing maintenance on it now might save you time later. But I'd rather be riding now and do what I have to do maintenance wise when the bike won't let me ride it any more.
Old 02-08-23, 04:21 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
i start deep cleans by removing the Brake Pads,then coating the entire bike with PB Blaster oil... this loosens stuck fasteners, and also begins to loosen the built up dirt/grunge/gray coatings of dust... let it soak for a while...................... a good point to pull the wheels off and remove the tires to confirm that the rim bands haven't broken from age. Inspect the tires for weather cracking too.

then find a decent shop towel and start wiping away Decades of filth. Clean EVERYTHING, including the spokes...
you now have a much nicer bike to rebuild that won't recoat your hands with dirt every time you touch it, plus the nuts/bolts are ready to turn.
Cleaning doubles as a Thorough inspection, btw.. ;-) Does it drop below freezing where you live? look for freeze splits in the Chain stays! I just stripped a Rocky Mountain DJ style frame that had a freeze split at the chain stay/brace junction...

Enjoy...