Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Garmin FTP test

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-22, 06:24 PM
Feelgood1

Bikes: Ridley Noah SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Garmin FTP test, edge 830

Hello all, I did the Garmin FTP test today in which it had me increase the power intensity every 4 minutes. ‏after the second round, my Edge device was requesting for me to ride at above 220 and then at 300 watts at the last interval. I could not sustain those numbers because I was getting over exhausted as these numbers are too high for me. My question is if I rode at lower power numbers than what Edge ask me during the Garmin FTP test, would my FTP number the Garmin provides at the end of this test still be accurate?
also, should I keep the auto calculate FTP switch on? Thank you
Old 01-29-22, 06:50 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
This sounds like a ramp test. Did you do this indoors? On an erg or free ride on a fluid trainer?

I would say with the stair steps being quite specific for a ramp test you would need to do this on something that controls the power output. Even with a rock solid form and cadence in the easier power ranges, on a fluid trainer or outside your power will just fluctuate too much.

The reason it matters for a ramp test, is that each step is supposed to work towards your exhaustion a specific way.......then in the last step the duration you "make it" time wise adds up to the total.

If doing this outdoors or on a fluid trainer, I would suggest just doing the traditional 20min then take 92% or do best of 2x8min and take go 8min x 80%. Those sound like steep % drops, but they're realistic for non-pros.

I doubt their autocalc ftp feature is very useful. If you pay for a training service that has months of your training data including doing intervals and stuff, and that estimates it using critical power or something.......then yeah, that's more legit. But something like the baked in feature on a GPS, it's mostly a fun parlour trick to chat about after a ride with friends.

They give you a VO2max also, I kind of chuckle looking at it in Garmin app. I ain't quitting my day job based on that. I did a long sweetspot workout in Zwift today, and it's a bit too flattering for my ability level. So I don't trust the Garmin estimates.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-30-22, 09:39 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
This sounds like a ramp test. Did you do this indoors? On an erg or free ride on a fluid trainer?

I would say with the stair steps being quite specific for a ramp test you would need to do this on something that controls the power output. Even with a rock solid form and cadence in the easier power ranges, on a fluid trainer or outside your power will just fluctuate too much.

The reason it matters for a ramp test, is that each step is supposed to work towards your exhaustion a specific way.......then in the last step the duration you "make it" time wise adds up to the total.

If doing this outdoors or on a fluid trainer, I would suggest just doing the traditional 20min then take 92% or do best of 2x8min and take go 8min x 80%. Those sound like steep % drops, but they're realistic for non-pros.

I doubt their autocalc ftp feature is very useful. If you pay for a training service that has months of your training data including doing intervals and stuff, and that estimates it using critical power or something.......then yeah, that's more legit. But something like the baked in feature on a GPS, it's mostly a fun parlour trick to chat about after a ride with friends.

They give you a VO2max also, I kind of chuckle looking at it in Garmin app. I ain't quitting my day job based on that. I did a long sweetspot workout in Zwift today, and it's a bit too flattering for my ability level. So I don't trust the Garmin estimates.
Across this industry there is a well-documented history of overestimating performance, whether that be calorie burn or some other parameter. Estimators built into devices with no context are bound to be inaccurate, and there is a marketing incentive to fluff the numbers to make the customer feel better.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 01-30-22, 12:18 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
I've never tried to do one. However just do what it tells you to do even to the point of failure. I'd expect that's part of what they are doing is finding out where your limits are. So if you under perform thinking you are getting away with something, then you are going to just screw up whatever methodology they may have for telling you to ride at that power level.

Do your FTP test often and you'll get better. Especially if you don't do intervals or climb a lot of rolling hills on your ride.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-31-22, 11:26 AM
Feelgood1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I've never tried to do one. However just do what it tells you to do even to the point of failure. I'd expect that's part of what they are doing is finding out where your limits are. So if you under perform thinking you are getting away with something, then you are going to just screw up whatever methodology they may have for telling you to ride at that power level.

Do your FTP test often and you'll get better. Especially if you don't do intervals or climb a lot of rolling hills on your ride.
Thanks. So if I underperfom yet still give it my best, will their assessment of me still be accurate based on their algorithm, you think, or does one absolutely has to produce those power numbers for the ftp assessment to be accurate?
Old 01-31-22, 11:32 AM
Feelgood1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep

Thanks. I used a regular non smart fluid trainer. How can I do this on something that controls the power output? Which devices or any articles I can read? Thanks
Old 01-31-22, 12:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Feelgood1
Thanks. So if I underperfom yet still give it my best, will their assessment of me still be accurate based on their algorithm, you think, or does one absolutely has to produce those power numbers for the ftp assessment to be accurate?
How can you underperform and give it your best at the same time?

Just do the test as they tell you to do it. Or do what's considered the real FTP test which is to ride an hour at your best pace, or one of the other ways to estimate it. Or again, just do what they tell you to on their test.

What you are trying to do is get a baseline so as to be able to set up training zones and to judge your improvement. If you don't know at what point you max out on effort, then you won't be able to set your zones or have anything else correctly figure your training zones correctly.

And if you don't get your FTP in what is considered a reliable and meaningful way, then there is not much point to using it to compare yourself with others.
Old 01-31-22, 10:12 PM
Feelgood1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How can you underperform and give it your best at the same time?

Just do the test as they tell you to do it. Or do what's considered the real FTP test which is to ride an hour at your best pace, or one of the other ways to estimate it. Or again, just do what they tell you to on their test.

What you are trying to do is get a baseline so as to be able to set up training zones and to judge your improvement. If you don't know at what point you max out on effort, then you won't be able to set your zones or have anything else correctly figure your training zones correctly.

And if you don't get your FTP in what is considered a reliable and meaningful way, then there is not much point to using it to compare yourself with others.
Garmin was asking me to pedal at 250 for 4 minutes, followed by 280-300 watts for 4 minutes etc, with no breaks in between. I was getting over exhausted and had to take breaks by pedaling at lower power numbers while the ftp test was still going and frankly i could not pedal at these power numbers no matter how hard I tried. I just wanted to do the dedicated ftp test that's featured in garmin for once. Yes, I have done self guided ftp tests before (20 minute time trial power average) and have manually inputted that into my connect app, but just wanted more info on doing it indoors, using the dedicated garmin ftp test option. thanks.
Old 02-01-22, 11:54 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Don't overthink this too much. You get an FTP that's somewhat close and get to work. You're going to use that FTP as a relative exertion level for structured workouts, like LSD, SST, tempo work, HIIT, etc. Then, after four weeks or so, you'll probably know if it's "about right" or not. If you're not hitting upper range of HR in a good HIIT session, or if you're overcooked when doing a long endurance ride, then your FTP is probably off. Do another ramp test, or just tweak it up or down a bit. It's a totally personal thing, anyway.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 02-01-22, 12:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Have you done the test more than once? And did you save it or whatever it asks to accept it? If it finds you peak somewhere and can't perform at the numbers it ask, then I'd expect that the next time it'll attempt to give you some lower effort numbers that it calculates you can maintain.

While I can't say with certainty, I feel the test probably intentionally takes you to a level you can't maintain at some point. Your point of failure is useful to figure out what you are capable of.

When I ride this afternoon, I might give it a try with my Garmin and see what it does so I can understand what you are asking better. Also, Garmin has it's own forums for their sports and other recreational devices. You might get some better answers from some of the members there...

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-01-22, 02:37 PM
Feelgood1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you done the test more than once? And did you save it or whatever it asks to accept it? If it finds you peak somewhere and can't perform at the numbers it ask, then I'd expect that the next time it'll attempt to give you some lower effort numbers that it calculates you can maintain.

While I can't say with certainty, I feel the test probably intentionally takes you to a level you can't maintain at some point. Your point of failure is useful to figure out what you are capable of.

When I ride this afternoon, I might give it a try with my Garmin and see what it does so I can understand what you are asking better. Also, Garmin has it's own forums for their sports and other recreational devices. You might get some better answers from some of the members there...

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/
AwesoMe thanks. Ya I'll keep trying the tests again.
Old 02-01-22, 02:39 PM
Feelgood1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Don't overthink this too much. You get an FTP that's somewhat close and get to work. You're going to use that FTP as a relative exertion level for structured workouts, like LSD, SST, tempo work, HIIT, etc. Then, after four weeks or so, you'll probably know if it's "about right" or not. If you're not hitting upper range of HR in a good HIIT session, or if you're overcooked when doing a long endurance ride, then your FTP is probably off. Do another ramp test, or just tweak it up or down a bit. It's a totally personal thing, anyway.
Great thanks for the info.
Old 02-01-22, 05:10 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I just did the test. It's about what I thought it was. I'll have to play with it some more on other rides to see what affects what.

One thing I thought about that might apply to your circumstances of it being too hard for you. Was the hard part perhaps going up a hill and you didn't shift to a lower gear and simply wore yourself out trying to muscle your way along? You can get the same power number spinning a easier gear faster. Or a hard gear slower.

In my case, I'm in constantly rolling terrain. Not the best place to do an FTP test. So I was spinning an easy gear going up the hills and even had to slow down from my normal speed that I attack them on to keep the power level from going too high. And then had to shift to the hard gears to go down the backside to keep the power level up where my Garmin wanted it to be.

So just remember while doing your test you don't have to struggle. Find the gear and cadence that allows you to comfortably maintain that power for the current conditions. When the conditions change the gear and/or cadence must change. If you aren't comfortable with a range of cadence from 70 to 110 RPM or better, then you will struggle trying to maintain a particular power in hilly terrain. IMO.