Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gazelle Champion Mondial Special AA project

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-22, 03:44 PM
thedriveside

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 8 Posts

Recently acquired this frame, Gazelle Champion Mondial Special AA. Last owner imported the frame from the Netherlands, don't see these in Canada very often. Reynolds 531 tubing (my first), very cool details throughout -- clean lugs, internal routing, pantographs, rounded seat stay caps and silver to pink fade paint. Strangely, no second water bottle bosses on the seat tube.

Paint is in great shape and while it's a bit of a flatter finish, I love the colourway. 126mm rear spacing. Stay tuned here for a neo-retro build, hope it will squeeze some 28s. Feel free to share your experiences with these frames, currently deep diving in the search. Sorry for the huge pictures, I have no idea how to make them smaller here.

DriveSide shot

Cool fade and internal routing

Good details and pantographs

More nice pantographs

Aero (?) Cinelli BB - english thread

Campagnolo dropouts

Last edited by thedriveside; 02-13-22 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-12-22, 04:23 PM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,498 Posts
quite a beauty.I have this Tour de lAvenir that was also brought to N. America from Holland by its previous owner.not as high end as yours but still a 531 w/very good craftsmanship.I spent a couple months in Ede in the 70's & found the culture is very bicycle dependent.actually was stopped for riding no hands by a bicyclist policeman.good luck on your build.
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 02-13-22, 04:17 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

non-fixie

-----
Old 02-14-22, 09:42 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Nice frame! The "Special" means it is an AA frame with a hanger added for the front changer and through the top tube cable routing. Those decals were first used in 1988, I believe.

You can find pretty much everything there is to know about the Champion Mondial on this site: The Original Gazelle Champion Mondial

Last edited by non-fixie; 02-14-22 at 10:50 AM. Reason: typo's
Likes For non-fixie:
Old 02-14-22, 11:50 AM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Very nice frame
Likes For jnbrown:
Old 02-14-22, 11:56 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Beautiful frame! I have an '86, and even 25mm tires are tight in mine, so I don't think you'll have any luck with 28's.
Likes For caloso:
Old 02-19-22, 04:56 PM
thedriveside

A few updates!

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Nice frame! The "Special" means it is an AA frame with a hanger added for the front changer and through the top tube cable routing. Those decals were first used in 1988, I believe.

You can find pretty much everything there is to know about the Champion Mondial on this site: The Original Gazelle Champion Mondial

Thanks for that resource non-fixie , very helpful! Based on the frame details and colour, I believe this an 89. Made some progress today, here are some updates - polish, wax and tire/wheel mock-ups.

Started polishing & waxing the frame today. Pleasantly surprised by the clear coat has come to life.

Rear stay clearance with 28s. Michelin Classics, which measure at true 28s. No dimpling at seat stays so I have the for a little squeeze...30s perhaps? hmm. Brake bridge is a-ok for clearance.

Front fork seemingly fine, will install a caliper in the coming days to make sure.

A cute surprise, presumably the colour code '4060 Rose'.

Next up: cold set to 130mm *devil emoji*

Last edited by thedriveside; 02-20-22 at 10:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-20-22, 03:50 AM
Hajo

Bikes: Several Gazelle Team steel bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 32 Posts
A really well preserved frame, lovely! For the exact year please look under the bottom bracket, where the frame nummer is located. It should start with an 8 for 1988.
Old 02-20-22, 04:46 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Gazelle Tour de lAvenir

Originally Posted by '02 nrs
quite a beauty.I have this Tour de lAvenir that was also brought to N. America from Holland by its previous owner.not as high end as yours but still a 531 w/very good craftsmanship.I spent a couple months in Ede in the 70's & found the culture is very bicycle dependent.actually was stopped for riding no hands by a bicyclist policeman.good luck on your build.
I ran across someone riding one of those Tour de lAvenir model Gazelles out on the trail last month. Stopped to chat. He brought it back from The Netherlands about 30+ years ago and had been commuting on it ever since. It showed the wear from all those years and a few components had been replaced but it was still in use.

I have 2 NOS Gazelle frames that I've never gotten around to building up. A 1973 Champion Mondial A frame and a 1994 Champion Mondial AB frame. both are well made. I got them from a seller on eBay who special ordered frames and bikes from Gazelle. He had closed down his shop and selling off his remaining stock.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 02-20-22 at 04:51 AM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 02-20-22, 04:59 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Great looking frame can’t wait to see progress reports. That x28 tire is likely to be the max tire size. Be careful it doesn’t rub after you sit on it, and if the wheel goes slightly out of true you’ll have trouble with it. Bikes like this were intended to have x21or x23 tubulars on them.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-20-22, 05:30 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,126 Times in 1,967 Posts
Wowzers. Gorgeous frame!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 02-24-22, 08:50 PM
thedriveside

Cool! Thanks for sharing, I love the fluorescent paint on the 94.

Originally Posted by verktyg
I ran across someone riding one of those Tour de lAvenir model Gazelles out on the trail last month. Stopped to chat. He brought it back from The Netherlands about 30+ years ago and had been commuting on it ever since. It showed the wear from all those years and a few components had been replaced but it was still in use.

I have 2 NOS Gazelle frames that I've never gotten around to building up. A 1973 Champion Mondial A frame and a 1994 Champion Mondial AB frame. both are well made. I got them from a seller on eBay who special ordered frames and bikes from Gazelle. He had closed down his shop and selling off his remaining stock.

verktyg
Old 02-24-22, 09:00 PM
thedriveside

Originally Posted by Hajo
A really well preserved frame, lovely! For the exact year please look under the bottom bracket, where the frame nummer is located. It should start with an 8 for 1988.
I'll take a look and report back.

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Great looking frame can’t wait to see progress reports. That x28 tire is likely to be the max tire size. Be careful it doesn’t rub after you sit on it, and if the wheel goes slightly out of true you’ll have trouble with it. Bikes like this were intended to have x21or x23 tubulars on them.
Good call, thanks for the sense talkin' that I needed.

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Wowzers. Gorgeous frame!
Thanks! I'm loving the paint. I did another round of polish and it really glistens now.

----
Build will be SRAM Rival 10, black. Black rimmed, spoked wheels as well, so I picked up some functional (& aesthetically pleasing) pieces -- VO stem and VO Moderniste bottle cage:
Old 02-25-22, 01:43 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
Lovely!
Likes For Millstone:
Old 02-25-22, 07:19 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Wow, what a beauty! Not sure how I missed this earlier. Can't wait to see this one come together.
Old 02-28-22, 09:43 PM
thedriveside

Ran into a little snag today (wouldn't be a fun build without them!)...Picture attached.

Couldn't get this VO stem further than about 12cm/ 4inches into the steer tube. Presents some issues of getting the bars as low..ugh...high as I planned. After some research, learning more about butted steerer tubes which I haven't some across - I'm guessing that's my issue. Cleaned the steer tube, no abrasions or imperfections. Tried a few other stems, same issue, same spot. Other then, 'use a shorter stem', any tips? Will do some more research before I consider cutting the stem down, threading the stem bolt, etc.

Old 03-12-22, 02:49 PM
thedriveside

I had been putting off cutting this stem in haste, but ended up going for it after too much thinking - it gives me the height that I'm looking for. Went at it with patience, but it was much more work with the file, to get the wedge snug, than I expected (...yup, would have measured and marked differently to start with new experience).

I don't have a tap and die kit to thread the old bolt, but had an old SR stem bolt that should work fine after I turn down the bolt a tiny bit. The rest of the build *should* be straight forward...but this part was fun with lots of learning -- butted steerer tubes!! ha.

Cutting in process

Cut, filed town and bolt replaced