Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Detto Pietro ! Are there any out there ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-22, 05:50 PM
Miloburnz

Bikes: BH Turbo single speed,Tommasini Super Prestige,Torrot Tourist ,Vanni,Detto,Colnago Super.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Just finished putting my Detto together and was wondering if there are any other Detto owners out there.
My bike started out as a rusty green frame i bought from a flea market , the decals are same place and style as the originals and the rear brake cable was attached on top of the frame so i converted it to go inside. Most web searches come up with the Golden Wheel Detto thats Columbus SL with Campag dropouts however this one has Gipiemme dropouts and as it takes a 26.4 seat post i'm not sure if it is Columbus as the tube sizes don't seem to correspond, i thought maybe could be Falck also ( the Columbus decals i put them on as a finishing touch as i thought it probably was Columbus tube ). I'm assuming the frame to be early 80's of reasonably good quality due to the chrome forks and stays.
Would be interesting to see another Detto with the same frame and original groupset whatever that would have been.

Likes For Miloburnz:
Old 06-13-22, 08:00 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 962 Posts
Congratulations on your restoration it looks fabulous. I am not familiar with the brand, to me it looks to be '83-84. Is that leather bar wrap? Can you take a picture of the seat lug pinch? It could be possible that you have a post size small.
Old 06-13-22, 09:03 AM
Fairlane63

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 37 Posts
Nice looking bike but I have never seen brake levers like those. Are they an accquired taste getting used to them?
Old 06-13-22, 10:07 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 2,801 Times in 533 Posts
I had no idea they even did bikes, I've only ever heard of and seen their old style leather cycling shoes.
Old 06-13-22, 11:35 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
^^^^^^ +1 I opened this thread fully expecting an inquiry/request for a pair of DP shoes for an eroica ride somewhere.
Old 06-13-22, 11:54 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Originally Posted by Fairlane63
Nice looking bike but I have never seen brake levers like those. Are they an accquired taste getting used to them?
I believe they are called "guidonnet" levers, A quick google search will bring up pics of examples, included them being used on drop bars and porteur bars.

Acquired taste? I don't know, and I doubt I will ever find out.
Old 06-13-22, 01:50 PM
DanseMacabre

Bikes: 1957 Motobecane camping bike, 1974 Manufrance Super Course STC, 1977 Peugeot camping bike, 1978 Liberia C15

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 43 Posts
Guidonnets are lovely to ride. They have a lot of leverage, since they are used from the long side. Standard road levers are often used from the top and have hardly leverage from there.
They are useless when riding in the drops, but with climbing or on long stretches of road you can still use the drops, since who needs to brake when climbing
I hadn't seen them yet on a 1980's bicycle, I thought they disappeared around 1980. I think in the 1930's they were available already, just as a piece of bent aluminium. In the 1950's the forged levers came. They were only used on French bicycles that sold in France only, as far as I know.

Lovely bicycle by the way.
Likes For DanseMacabre:
Old 06-13-22, 04:44 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 406 Posts
Originally Posted by DanseMacabre
since who needs to brake when climbing
Great point!

Old 06-13-22, 06:01 PM
Miloburnz

Bikes: BH Turbo single speed,Tommasini Super Prestige,Torrot Tourist ,Vanni,Detto,Colnago Super.

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The levers are Mafac Guidonnet and work great , i chose them as i spend most of the time riding on the hoods, it's an easy fingertip reach to pull the brakes on with your hands on the ramps and they work good from the top position also, the Nitto Noodle bars are curved back slightly to give a better position with your hands on the tops but i'm not totally convinced that this works so good , maybe would work better with wider bars. My idea was to build a simple clean uncluttered bike and the Guidonnet levers helped achieve this .
Old 06-13-22, 06:16 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Fantastic cycle! Did the rusty green version still have its decals intact? Or did other hints such as the seat stays pin-point you to Detto?
Old 06-13-22, 06:19 PM
Miloburnz

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Mr. 66 , Here's the pinch bolt photo, the 26.4 seems a fairly snug fit although maybe could fit a 26.6 . The leather bar wrap was not so easy to fit and it started to tear slightly when pulled tight, i fitted it wet and it took about 2 ½ hours but i was expecting a tighter tidier end result, maybe the leather was a bit too soft.

Old 06-13-22, 06:27 PM
Miloburnz

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoccerBallXan
Fantastic cycle! Did the rusty green version still have its decals intact? Or did other hints such as the seat stays pin-point you to Detto?
This is frame i bought 6 years ago , the wheels i already had for another project but it did come with a Campag SR headset, Zeus crankset and a Galli taper roller bottom bracket.
Old 06-13-22, 08:28 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
"Guidonnet" levers. Popular on city bikes, at least since the 1940s. Dia-Compe and others still offer them. I like them when riding in winter as they'e easy to operate with mittens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
guidonnet.JPG (12.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 06-14-22, 09:24 AM
Miloburnz

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Congratulations on your restoration it looks fabulous. I am not familiar with the brand, to me it looks to be '83-84. Is that leather bar wrap? Can you take a picture of the seat lug pinch? It could be possible that you have a post size small.
I took the seat post out and opened the top slot so it was even measurement all the way down and now the seat post falls into the tube , when tightened i measure the top of the slot 1.2 mm and at the bottom 1.8 mm . I remember when i got the frame i had the 26.4 post so i tried it and it seemed to fit good so i left it with the frame but recently i cleaned the inside of the seat tube when i painted it because it had rust inside so everything is a smoother fit now hence the post falling in. I think your right and it should have a 26.6 or a 26.8 seat post fitted which would then bring it more in the ball park of Columbus tube.
Old 06-14-22, 09:51 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
The DETTO part is clear, but does the "P" actually stand for Pietro? Did Detto Pietro, the shoe maker, also sell a brand of bicycles, or is this a different Peter?
Old 06-14-22, 03:00 PM
Miloburnz

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
The DETTO part is clear, but does the "P" actually stand for Pietro? Did Detto Pietro, the shoe maker, also sell a brand of bicycles, or is this a different Peter?
Detto Pietro are still in business today selling cycling shoes and bikes. Detto Pietro is the company name and not an actual person unlike other brands named after racers or maybe one of its founders was called Pietro. Detto in Italian translates to named or said and can be used as a nickname put before a first or surname so maybe thats where they came up with Detto Pietro.
Old 06-14-22, 09:10 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I went to their web site and saw the bikes.

I've been to the site many times before but only for the shoes, never noticing the bikes.