Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Crosshairs- seeking quiet brakes, bigger tires

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-22, 09:39 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts

The Gunnar Crosshairs which I bought used came with narrow rims/tires and Cane Creek SCX-5 canti's. I want to remedy the super noisey brakes and I would also like to try fatter tires.I happen to have some new Cliffhanger rims which are about 30mm across braking surfaces. The canti post are spaced at 78mm. Is there any way these rims would work on this bike? Thinking 40mm tires? Aside from the Cane Creek arms I also have Avid Shorty 4 arms andI think some Dia-Compe 980s I could try. I have not yet purchased new brake pads so recommendations welcome. Advice needed please and thank you.
Old 06-25-22, 05:34 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 417 Posts
I use Kool Stop pads on lots of bikes. I don't think any of mine are noisy, properly set up.
Have you considered trying 32mm tires on your narrow rims?
Old 06-25-22, 02:51 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
I have 33mm Soma Supple Vitesse. I might as well try those although I would like to go wider. 33mm too small for the Cliffhanger rims tho, and Im starting to think those rims are just too wide for even the Crosshairs. Bummer.
Old 06-25-22, 03:32 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Early-days MTBer's put pretty wide tires on pretty narrow rims. "Not recommended" by manufacturers, etc, largely because of liability concerns I suspect. If it were me, I'd try wider tires on my narrow rims (within 'reason'...) before going for a whole new wheel-set. Also, the 'quality' of the tires can make a significant difference- I find the ride on the 35c Rene Herse tires on one bike to be nicer than the 42c Grand Bois Hetres (and there's no contest with the 38c Rene Herse tires on another bike...... I was curious about the Hetres, and they were on sale, but when they wear out I'll probably switch to the RH 42c tires, $$$ notwithstanding- but I'll tell ya, I think the RH 38c Barlow Pass may be the perfect tire for anything but mud, snow & really challenging single-track stuff).
And, as suggested above, try Koolstop pads and get your brakes dialed in before going for a whole new setup. 2¢....
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 06-25-22, 04:46 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Those Cliffhangers are crazy wide! 80mm or so is the modern standard post width (I believe even Shimano spec'd that back in the '80s, which most manufacturers of touring bikes promptly ignored), and that may give your cantis a lot of trouble just trying to chomp down on something that wide.

I'd try some standard width rims and larger tires--I've not had trouble with them. Soma Supple Vitesse EX 42s on MA2 rims felt epic, just a hair mushy on the bike at their pressures. They measured 38mm wide when inflated on the rim. I run some Compass 35s that measure nearly 34mm wide on those MA2s now and they feel great. [I will qualify this "great" as accomplishing the goal of not being mushy, not touching brake calipers or frame, not slow, yet being plenty comfortable over crappy Seattle streets. This on my Trek 720. If you have nicer streets, then 33s will do you fine.]
Old 06-25-22, 05:50 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
I'll also add......... that while I love RH tires (but hate the $$$...), they are, IME, an absolute b***h to get seated properly. Soapy water, hard-high-&-fast inflation, etc etc etc....
Old 06-25-22, 06:29 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
If it is the front canti's that are being so noisy, the Koop Stop pads will help. I did away with the canti's on my cross bike, Lemond Poprad because I just do not like them. They were worn out Shorty 4s that needed constant adjustment. When I was using them, a fork mount cable guide was the real trick to quieting them. I have one of them, Tektro IIRC, that I no longer use. PM me if you have interest in it. I will have to dig it out. It will be cheap. Anyone in need of one is welcome to it, if the op does not want or does not respond. My Poprad now has Tektro 559 long reach calipers. The braking is excellent with the stock pads and machined rims, but when the pads are worn, I will replace with Kool Stop salmon I have on hand.
Old 06-25-22, 07:05 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Early-days MTBer's put pretty wide tires on pretty narrow rims. "Not recommended" by manufacturers, etc, largely because of liability concerns I suspect.

from sheldonbrown.com: