Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-11, 09:05 AM
bmohan55

Bikes: 2005 Bianchi L'una, 1996 Bianchi Eros Specilized Hard Rock 70' era Carnelli Graziella Folding commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New guy here from Richmond VA, 56 years young

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
Recently retired my 1996 Bianchi Eros (she's now a grocery getter) and upgraded to a 2005 Bianchi L'una.
Also mountain bike on a Specialized Hardrock, although I'm mostly a rodie.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

No

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

None, although hangovers last longer than they used to.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

Really all my life but not in any organized manner, i.e. no racing or clubs

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

Love going by myself and and "getting lost" for hours. Try for several charity rides each summer, nightly stress relief ride is 20-25 miles. My wife rides also and our last vacation was Bike Virginia, doing it again this year.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

As often as possible, time permitting (Hurrah for DST!)
WAG would be 5,000....have 948 as of this morning

Look forward to getting some good advice and entertainment here.
Old 05-03-11, 05:35 PM
tandemnh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First time checking out this post.

I still have my "84 Schwinn Super Le Tour, a 12 speed that I turned into an 18 speed (triple) back in the mid 80's as I was pulling a Burley cart with our young children at that time through Carbon Canyon in southern CA.

I have a 2005 Specialized Allez Sport that I added a rack and use as my commuter bike.

I gave my son my 2004 C"dale R2000 double as I just bought a brand new 2004 C"dale R2000 triple. Brand new never riden sat in a vacation home up in Canada.

I ride a C"dale Tandem with the wife. Living in southern NH and all the hills this was the best way for us to enjoying biking together. Very trusting (brave) soul we have been up over 45 MPH.

And fianlly I have a 1999 K2 Proflex 2000 mountain bike. Lots of off road fun.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Just take a multi-vitamin, iron, and fish oil. I donate blood as often a possible so I try to stay healthy for the person that needs my blood. Makes for a great motivator.

None, compared to my younger neighbors they are a wreck and boy do I feel like it is well worth all the work.

Most of my life though a break while raising the kids as I spent a lot of time coaching sports. But over the past 5-8 years I get in a lot. Now that I can ride with the wife we get in a lot each year.

All types, nothing particular. Love riding the tandem with the wife. It is amazing how much power a 5' women can generate. We fly up hills!

As often as possible. All types of riding and distances. I have not done a century.

Last edited by tandemnh; 05-03-11 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-03-11, 11:23 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Guys, glad you are here.

Please post and be part of our life style.
Old 05-04-11, 06:23 PM
Brew1

Bikes: Lynskey Helix, Wilier Izorad XP, Specialized M2 and a Trek 8500

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 52!!!

My main bike is a Waterford Schwinn Paramount (50 year anniversary) that a worker at the factory built for himself but with the bankruptcy pending back then he sold the frame which I purchased and built up with DuraAce. It's beautiful deep ruby red mesh over black. It came with a gold plated chromoly fork but I removed it and put on a kestrel carbon fork.

Specialized M2 (metal matrix, what ever that is, can’t remember) I built it up with campy Chorus.

Mongoose IBOC KOM that I built with Campy record.
Trek 8500 MTB.

No

A whole lot dammit... Haven't been able to ride for some 12 years because of a bad hip that I injured when I was in the service. Had it replaced last November and I'm looking to start riding again (along with my motorcycles)

Took it up seriously when I was 30 and rode maybe 150-200 miles per week but the hip started slowing me down. I rode a lot when I was in my teens doing a lot of centuries and just going out on rides all day with my friends.

Just want to do 20 miles a day, more on weekends to get back in shape.

Don't know at this point, depends on the body and my right ankle holds up.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.
I told you already!!! I'm 52 dang-it j/k

Last edited by Brew1; 05-16-11 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-04-11, 06:26 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

I told you already!!! I'm 52 dang-it j/k
Welcome.

Bad day?
Old 05-04-11, 07:16 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Brew!
Old 05-05-11, 08:07 AM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got a 52cm Salsa Campion road bike with an all black 2x9 Shimano 105 group for faster road rides, a 52cm Pake fixie all blacked out as well just for cruising and commuting, a Monocog single-speed 29r setup for our local "no hills within 30 miles" off-roading, a Fisher Opie Free ride mountain bike for real mountain bike rides with real mountains, a Serotta T-Max mountain bike with all carbon/XTR parts that I use for commuting mainly, and a 20"x18" Santana Arriva tandem that I actually built back in 1988 while I was working for them. Most of my bikes have two or three wheelsets shod with different tires/spoke counts for training or faster rides, and I've been car-free for the past 10 years.

Ginseng, green tea, multi-vitamins, B-complex mostly.....

Sure, I've slowed down a little. But I use to do 12-15,000 miles a year and now I average 4-6,000. I still do 100 mile days once in a while and commute at least 15-20 miles daily, but as I've gotten older I become a little less "driven" and I spend more time enjoying the moments.

All of my life. When I was young I road motorcycles and bicycles because I hate cages, and now I mainly ride bicycles because I enjoy the journeys more. Still hate being caged in though.....

Long days mainly on the road, short rides with friends, commutes.....

Every day. 4-6,000 miles a year plus 20-30 miles of recreational walking per week.

At 54 I still ride mainly for recreation and daily transportation because cycling allows me freedoms that driving just insulates me from. As I've structured my life to be car-free, I've found myself much more satisfied and enjoying my life more, and I avoid traveling by car as much as possible. I'm not really an anti-car zealot, but I enjoy my days more when I spend them on a bike.

Last edited by Stealthammer; 05-05-11 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-05-11, 07:50 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome, glad you are here!
Old 05-05-11, 08:50 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Please tell us your age. Just turned 55

1989 Bottecchia with SLX Columbus tubing and tout Campy
1999 Cannondale F400 mt. bike
2001 Litespeed tout Shimano DuraAce

Just regular vitamins

None really, just recovery lasts a tad longer.

Been riding since I was 7 yo.

Long and short rides.

Ride on weekends and 2 or 3 times during hte weekday. Last Saturday I rode a 70 miles ride and then Sunday a 60 mile ride.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

Rowing. I just signed up for a trail running class.
Old 05-05-11, 09:02 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're a rider guy

Welcome to the list
Old 05-07-11, 02:10 AM
bjorke
Idealistic Troublemaker

Bikes: Friday, Brompton, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Fuji Absolute hybrid, Haro "Rage" MTB, and a little Chinese folding bike. I have some other bikes in the garage that are there mostly for guests.
My doctor tells me to take extra Vitamin D, but that's it.
The ADHD is fierce.
Hmmm... since I was four, so that's 48 years.
Commuting, with optional train along the way, so the commute can range from 5 to 30 miles of biking each way. I rarely go the long way in the morning. We also go for beach rides on the folding bikes on the weekened, slow pace so that our small dog can run alongside.
Daily, so... back of the hand calculation... 3000 miles? 5000? Now I feel tired!
Old 05-11-11, 07:38 PM
AlphaRed

Bikes: Motobecane Gran Record, Motobecane touring, Cannondale CAAD4 r800, Fuji Finest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[B][COLOR="Blue"]
I currently have 8 vintage road bikes and a wonderful schwinn mountain bike.

I have in the past and I am considering vitamins and supplements again.

In the last four years my hair has gone totally gray and I feel muscle loss. Though in my mind I still feel young.

I have always owned a bike.

I am more of a recreational rider though I would like to ride more
32 miles with the tour de cure is a stretch for me the last three years

I get out on my bike maybe twice a week. I am trying to up that.
I have no idea the annual distance.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.
I will be 52 this year. I expect to live into my nineties and I don't want to be in bad physical health.
ARed
Old 05-11-11, 08:13 PM
dexter9326

Bikes: 2011 Schwinn Le Tour Legacy, 2007 Lemond Alpes d'Huez, 1994 Schwinn Cross Cut, 1994 Schwinn Cross Trail, 1991 Schwinn Paramount PDG Series 50 MTB,1991 Schwinn Cross Cut, 1979 Schwinn World Sport, 1967 Hercules 3 Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My "new" main bike is a 1994 Schwinn Crosscut

I've also got a 94 Schwinn Crosstrail that I bought new (but barely rode) and a 79 Schwinn World Sport that I found at garage sale for $15

Not yet

Suffered a pretty significant knee injury in February while skiing - Fractured tibial plateau, torn ACL, torn meniscus. Up until then, I was doing okay for a 265 pound guy.

I'm currently rehabbing the knee (no surgery) and hoping for the best. Been off crutches 3 weeks and went for my first ride today - 8 miles.

Joined Weight Watchers for men online and have lost 21 pounds since the knee injury

Had not biked in YEARS. Re-started last summer and really enjoyed it.

Recreational rides. I live in a somewhat hilly suburban area south of Buffalo, NY. I like to think that I push myself pretty hard.

Last summer, I was out 2-3 times a week. Usually 10-15 miles at a crack. I ride alone or with my wife. Liked riding my Crosstrail last year so much I sought out and found a 94 Schwinn Crosscut. It's about 8 pounds lighter.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

Skiing - both downhill and cross country. Camping, hiking, gym

I'm 54 years old

Last edited by dexter9326; 05-11-11 at 08:17 PM.
Old 05-16-11, 08:44 AM
slocoach

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Young oldies can go far (and make a difference)!

Greetings fellow riders,

I joined last year when I hit 50: just to let you know that after last year's commute/recreational riding, a good bike purchase (2010 Trek 2.3), a winter of riding the trainer, and as much spring riding as possible, I am (just about, probably) ready for next Saturday's 85-mile Bike MS Coast the Coast ride! I did a 40-miler last Sat with the team and I was fine.

So: please join me in the fight against multiple sclerosis by sponsoring my attempt to bike from West Long Branch, NJ to Little Egg Harbor, NJ next Saturday. May 21. This is the National MS Society's 20th annual "Coast the Coast" Bike MS event -- but it will be my first attempt to go this far on a road bike, so I need all the encouragement I can get, in the form of your dollars!

Will I make it? How long will it take? Donate and I'll keep you updated! Donate via:
https://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=15051

More than 400,000 Americans live with MS, and your support can and will make changes in their lives. The National Multiple Sclerosis Society is dedicated to ending the devastating effects of MS. They simultaneously fund research for a cure while also helping people who currently live with MS lead more fulfilling lives. WWW: https://www.nationalmssociety.org/

Thanks,

Mark (aka slocoach, not so slow now)

p.s. last year I hammered too hard and had some knee pain, apparently nothing serious but it's always worth checking out. My sports MD said I should do more distance rides early in the season, spin more, avoid big climbs, and check bike fit (ok). I followed this advice and this year I am fine.
Old 05-21-11, 04:04 PM
chapter 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. Just turned 52.5

I think an 05 Orbea Liegie(spell?) campy chorus

nope

pretty good bit

started in 04 rode through summer of 09/changed career/just started back a month ago

short rides now working back to medium training rides

2/3 times on a good week.

been a gym rate all my life, just started running when i picked up cycling again
Old 05-27-11, 12:18 PM
slocoach

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Made it!

Originally Posted by slocoach
Greetings fellow riders,

I joined last year when I hit 50.... I am (just about, probably) ready for next Saturday's 85-mile Bike MS Coast the Coast ride!

UPDATE: Made it! Just a little cramping in my calves otherwise a very nice 85 miles! Here's a vid of the last mile or so to the finish from Otis Bog Road to the Pinelands school:

I made 100% of my goal but you can still donate via:
https://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=15051 ...if the spirit moves you.

Last edited by slocoach; 05-27-11 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-30-11, 08:45 AM
bjorke
Idealistic Troublemaker

Bikes: Friday, Brompton, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good on ya, slocoach!
Old 05-30-11, 05:36 PM
avmech

Bikes: 2003 Trek 5200, 2015 Trek X-Caliber 8, 2018 Trek Domane SL 6

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Please tell us your age. 55 years young

Mainly a 1989 Schwinn Circuit. Looking at a Trek 5200 or a Madone soon, used of course. Update: a 2003 Trek 5200 is now part of my stable!!!

GNC Mega-men for over 50, Omega3, baby aspirin, flax seed, Tri-Flex sport, garlic tablets (also eat raw garlic and lots of cooked garlic...........I'm Latin, what can I say)

I have not slowed down, the rest of the world has sped up!

Since I was a kid. Started up about a month ago after about 20 years off

Working up to long rides

3-4 times a week, annual yet to be determined

Last edited by avmech; 06-18-11 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-02-11, 07:33 PM
Teon

Bikes: See my signature.....

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[B][COLOR="Blue"]
Please tell us your age.

53 years old

I currently ride an older Iron Horse mountain bike. Purchased it new around 15+ years ago. It's great for camping and off road, but sucks for road riding. Am currently looking for a road touring style of bike.

Was diagnosed with arrythmia around 6 years ago, and just got diagnosed with diabetes a few months back, so yea, I'm taking a few more meds than I used to.

If anything, I am speeding up rather than slowing down. I used to be a real couch potato(it wasn't all that long ago that I rode fairly regularly, and loved it) but since being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I am in the process of changing my eating habits, my couch potato lifestyle, and my exercising. The main reason for my looking for a decent road bike is due to the fact that I really enjoy(ed) biking, and I absolutely need to get back into it for the psychological and physiological benefits that I always experienced from it.

I have been biking, off and on, for several decades. I was really into biking in high school and college, and for several years beyond that. I had an absolute piece of crap 10 speed Vista,(bought it brand new from a lbs when I was 15 years old....the lbs owner insisted on me buying something 'American made', even if it was a piece of crap...lol) but it got me around, and was enjoyable, as long as I adjusted the gearing every couple of weeks. It took a lot of abuse, from fully loaded paper routes to long distance camping trips with my friends. Plus it spent most of its life on the Oregon coast, so it eventually succumbed to rust, as it spent most of it's active life out in the coastal elements. I got away from biking in my early 30s, as I got busy with my job and being married. Bought my 18 speed Iron Horse mountain bike around 15 years ago. It got some good use, as we camped a lot back then. Nothing special in the way of a bike, but it's built like a tank(chunky chromoly frame, no shocks) and is still going strong to this day. Don't think I have ever had to adjust the shifting, and it still shifts quickly and accurately to this day. About 6 years ago, was able to borrow a road/hybrid straight bar bike from a family member, and I biked every day for almost the entire year......lost 40 pounds in the process(got back down to 215), and enjoyed the absolute heck out it!!!!

Unfortunately, that bike was finally sold by the family member that I had borrowed it from,(I was given the chance to buy it first, but I hated the grip twist shifters) and instead of putting out some of my own money for a decent road bike of my own, I went back to my ways of couch potato, and gained all the weight I had lost, plus more back.

Fast forward to today, where I am finally making a lifestyle change because of the diabetes diagnosis. I have been walking, eating much, MUCH more healthy, and finding out that my old Iron Horse just isn't going to cut it for road bike cycling. I've already lost 25+ pounds...down from 289 to around 260...6'-0" tall, and I am looking forward to plunking down some cash for a real road bike, again. I have truly missed it, and there are some wonderful bike trails in our area, that I used to use 6 years ago.

I'm truly looking forward to using those bike trails again, on a real road bike.

Sorry for the novel. Guess I just had to get that all out. Hopefully not too many people went to sleep reading it.....lol.

Love this site, and glad I joined.....my goal is at least 10-20 miles of riding a day within the next 3 months.

Kirk(aka Teon)

I suppose I should also post this in the Clydesdale forum......

Last edited by Teon; 07-15-11 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-02-11, 07:36 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Thanks, and you might also want to check out the Clydesdale forum - very nice and supportive folks there, also.
Old 06-02-11, 07:36 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Keep it going Kirk........

Old 06-02-11, 07:37 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by avmech
Please tell us your age. 55 years young

Mainly a 1989 Schwinn Circuit. Looking at a Trek 5200 or a Madone soon, used of course

GNC Mega-men for over 50, Omega3, baby aspirin, flax seed, Tri-Flex sport, garlic tablets (also eat raw garlic and lots of cooked garlic...........I'm Latin, what can I say)

I have not slowed down, the rest of the world has sped up!

Since I was a kid. Started up about a month ago after about 20 years off

Working up to long rides

3-4 times a week, annual yet to be determined
Welcome - glad you are here!
Old 06-03-11, 03:46 AM
obscuredavid

Bikes: Giant Escape M0, Dawes Super Galaxy, Dahon Helios 8 folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For my daily commute/shopping a Giant Escape M0 - rugged, with pannier racks front and back and hydraulic disk brakes. Also a Dahon Helios P8 folder (mainly to take on holiday with me) and a Dawes Super Galaxy tourer.

Fish oil to up my "good" cholesterol and mutlivitamins, when I remember (is there something that's good for memory?)

Quite a bit - 10 to 20% since I've been doing less exercise over the past year or so because of breathing problems.

Over 50 years. Where I grew up, everyone cycled. I moved away from that flat city to a very hilly one when I was 18, but I didn't learn to drive until I was over 40 and I've never owned a car.

Nowadays, it's mainly my daily commute.

Probably six days a week, but only short distances. Annually about 1000 miles at the moment. Hope to do more when I feel fitter and lots more when I retire in a few years' time.

One of my knees is too damaged for much weight-bearing activity like running, but I have played in a table-tennis league for many years (much more physical than it sounds to most non-players!).

I'm 57.
Old 06-13-11, 03:51 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I will turn 65 this October.

Primary bike is a Giant Defy 2 road bike (8 months old). Secondary bike is a Giant Cypress hybrid (11 months old). I had a Giant Sedona ST that I gave to my brother when I bought the Cypress. The Sedona was a birthday gift from my wife for my 63rd birthday after my doctor told me to get off my butt and start doing some type of exercise.

I am on medication for my chronic leukemia and only take B12 to help with my anemia and Potassium to help avoid leg cramps.

Actually, I think that I have not yet began to slow down. If anything, it's the opposite. I haven't felt this good or been this healthy since I was 40 and in martial arts.

I started biking again at 63 and started serious biking in April of last year. I used to bike when I was in my late 30's and early 40's to help me keep fit for martial arts. Haven't done martial arts since my back injury when I was 42 and stopped exercising all together.

I do hard rides on my road bike (15-20 miles) each day in about an hour to an hour and 20 minutes. I do club rides (12 and 18 miles, two Saturdays in the month) and 30 to 40 mile rides on Sundays and Saturdays that I am not club riding. I also sign up for any long distance charity rides that are in my area or in Central Florida.

Between both bikes, I have close to 4,500 miles since last July. I average 150 miles a week. The rest of the miles comes from the charity rides.

Currently no, but I am trying to find some other type of exercise that will help me improve my cycling. I am wanting to increase my endurance and speed, but not in order to keep up with the 20 and 30 year old cyclists.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 06-13-11 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-14-11, 09:02 PM
Igo

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.
I'm 52

I ride a Giant Defy 2. I bought it a month ago. It's my first bike in about 100 years.

I've taken a multi-vitamin everyday since my teens. I've taken an aspirin everyday for 35 years. I switch around between other supplements.

Yes and no. I used to smoke and drink a lot. But I've always been a hiker and backpacker. I'm a better 50 year old non-smoking backpacker than I was a 25 year old smoking backpacker but I've never worried about being exceptionally fast.

30 days...

I've commuted everyday since I bought the bike. 13 miles a day. I started just as summer was coming in so I'm only getting in a 10 or 15 mile ride early in the morning here in Las Vegas but I can't wait for it to cool down some. I have rather lofty goals and I'm having a blast. I'm thinking about crossing the Escalante country of Utah in October. Touring is absolutely on the horizon.

I will surely do 3000/4000 a year. We have exceptional bike trails right outside my door.

Peace!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.