Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

QR Lever Position

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-21, 06:46 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I always point them straight back mainly because they need to be somewhere and that is probably as good as any. Pointing back does reduce the chance of them hooking something when walking the bike.
The TT crowd says this is also more aero.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-09-21, 07:39 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I’d also add that generally you get about the right closed tension if you adjust the QR nut so that you are just feeling the onset of some tension when the lever is about straight out. Obviously it will vary, but that is a reasonable starting point.

Otto
Old 05-09-21, 07:42 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
FWIW, the illustration is NOT showing a QR on the drive side.

That said, it makes zero difference which side you run the QR lever in most cases. And it makes perfect sense to run the QR on the drive side if you have discs for the simple reason that you are less likely to get your dirty little fingers on the rotor when opening and closing the lever.
Old 05-09-21, 07:44 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by bruce19
The TT crowd says this is also more aero.
This really ought to settle the thread.
Old 05-09-21, 07:51 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Which side and which direction should be quick release lever go?

Old 05-09-21, 08:09 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Rule #41.
You do know that posting this will eliminate hundreds of pages of BF threads... lol!

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 05-09-21, 09:14 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgeo
Should the QR lever be in front of the fork or behind?

I tuck the QR lever behind the left fork leg front, and between the seat- and chainstay on the rear. Clean look and levers out of the way. I mounted my QR on the left on my disc-equipped MTB, but I ensured that there were no clearance issues. If there were, I’d have no hesitation mounting the QR on the right, tradition be damned
Old 05-09-21, 09:35 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
The skewer should go in front of the fork. The lever can move further inboard so it is tighter. The fork leg also can get in the way if the lever is angled across the leg. These two picture illustrate the problem nicely. On the suspension fork, the lever can’t be closed in any position except vertical.

The idea that the lever is going to catch on something and open is a very old myth. In 40 years of riding (and 35 years of mountain biking) I’ve never caught anything on a quick release skewer. The chances of opening one through some kind of impact is infinitesimal small.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-09-21, 10:17 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
This really ought to settle the thread.
I do my best to help.
Old 05-09-21, 10:25 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The skewer should go in front of the fork. The lever can move further inboard so it is tighter. The fork leg also can get in the way if the lever is angled across the leg. These two picture illustrate the problem nicely. ...

The idea that the lever is going to catch on something and open is a very old myth. In 40 years of riding (and 35 years of mountain biking) I’ve never caught anything on a quick release skewer. The chances of opening one through some kind of impact is infinitesimal small.
On all my bikes, I can rotate that lever about 30 degrees back so the tip is between the fender stays and the fork. With modern curved levers, I can see daylight between the fork and lever with the leer pushed to its stop.

My levers include early '00s Campy, slightly newer Ultegra and 105, cheap steel Shimano and QBP. All forks are traditional tapered steel, 531, Japanese Hi Ten and the like.

A thought I had looking at your vertical lever - what a temptation for kids! Mine would not even be noticed and the smaller ones would not be able to sum up the strength to open it with the fewer fingers that fit.
Old 05-09-21, 12:23 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
I’d also add that generally you get about the right closed tension if you adjust the QR nut so that you are just feeling the onset of some tension when the lever is about straight out. Obviously it will vary, but that is a reasonable starting point.

Otto
Does not apply to all OEM axle types. An aftermarket option can often change how the process goes, but that usually requires a hex head tool to preset the tension.
Old 05-09-21, 12:24 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
I’ve witnessed a crash where the q/r lever had gotten loose, tilted inwards and snagged the rotor. It wasn’t pretty.
Newer closed cam skewers - at least Shimano - have been changed not to go past 90 deg angle to prevent this. Took me awhile to readjust the visual cue to how it should look.
While I do appreciate the actual braking from discs, there are some fundamental flaws in the engineering that frankly makes me embarrassed.
I don't think I've ever seen a qr skewer that could possibly interfere with a rotor. I just can't envision this. Did the lever come loose and turn over (rotate) 180 degrees?
Old 05-09-21, 12:25 PM
Koyote

The skewer should go in front of the fork. The lever can move further inboard so it is tighter. The fork leg also can get in the way if the lever is angled across the leg. These two picture illustrate the problem nicely. On the suspension fork, the lever can’t be closed in any position except vertical.

If those are your qr skewers, I applaud your taste.
Old 05-09-21, 12:31 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I don't think I've ever seen a qr skewer that could possibly interfere with a rotor. I just can't envision this. Did the lever come loose and turn over (rotate) 180 degrees?
Don’t think we ever thought about that at that moment. A flipped lever would arc outwards, making it less likely to snag the rotor.
But the mechanics were all there.
Once the q/r got loose enough, the lever did have enough range of motion to interfere with the rotor.
As If the wrinkled up rotor and tore up dropout would have left much doubt about how the event unfolded.

Read here for more:https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2015/th...s-to-replace-0
Old 05-09-21, 12:36 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by dabac
Don’t think we ever thought about that at that moment. A flipped lever would arc outwards, making it less likely to snag the rotor.
But the mechanics were all there.
Once the q/r got loose enough, the lever did have enough range of motion to interfere with the rotor.
As If the wrinkled up rotor and tore up dropout would have left much doubt about how the event unfolded.

Read here for more:https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2015/th...s-to-replace-0
Yikes. I'm gonna check my skewers now. This is partly why I only use Shimano closed-cam skewers - seems like they are less likely to have any problems.
Old 05-09-21, 12:46 PM
dabac

Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Yikes. I'm gonna check my skewers now. This is partly why I only use Shimano closed-cam skewers - seems like they are less likely to have any problems.
I wouldn’t count on that. Look at the brands of bikes. Felt, Specialized, etc. Odds are good there were some Shimano q/r in there. But Shimano q/r made AFTER that date should be good, they’re different. I’ll see if I can scrounge up a pair for comparison.
Edit:

Old vs current Shimano q/r
Top/left is an older Shimano q/r. Low/right is the recent design. Note how much lower the old lever dips.
Both levers in good, original condition.

Last edited by dabac; 05-09-21 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-09-21, 01:10 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Uh... what? You must have some seriously long toes to be able to reach the hub. And if your foot comes off the pedal that far/forcefully, I don't think worrying about kicking the front QR is in the Top 5 Things You Should Be Worrying About Mid-Crash.

Depending on the fork and the QR lever's shape, like was stated by Johnny HardKore, it depends. Just don't kick it.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-09-21, 03:36 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
If those are your qr skewers, I applaud your taste.
Yup. Mine. Other than Campy, they are the only ones to own.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 05-09-21 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-09-21, 04:18 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I predict 30 pages
Does that include after a newbie resurrects it after it’s been dormant for 5 years?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-09-21, 05:16 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Okay, QR levers, fine. But what we really need to discuss is which way the Brilando clips are supposed to point...
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 05-09-21, 05:49 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I always point them straight back mainly because they need to be somewhere and that is probably as good as any. Pointing back does reduce the chance of them hooking something when walking the bike.
This is probably the most logical post here. Especially true for mountain bike anyway, that can hook strong weeds etc, if in the forward arc.
Old 05-10-21, 06:07 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Rule #41// Quick-release levers are to be carefully positioned. Quick release angle on the front skewer shall be an upward angle which tightens just aft of the fork and the rear quick release shall tighten at an angle that bisects angle between the seat and chain stays. It is acceptable, however, to have the rear quick release tighten upward, just aft of the seat stay, when the construction of the frame or its dropouts will not allow the preferred positioning. For Time Trial bikes only, quick releases may be in the horizontal position facing towards the rear of the bike. This is for maximum aero effect.
Old 05-10-21, 06:52 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Okay, QR levers, fine. But what we really need to discuss is which way the Brilando clips are supposed to point...
I’m not sure if the discussion of these is for real or not but since the thread has yet to reach three pages, comments are required . I did not know that they were called “Brilando clips” but mostly heard them referred to as “lawyer clips”. The former certainly has a more positive sound to it. I have more than a few bikes and the only ones with the “Brilando clips” are the Schwinns. I understand that Mr Brilando was a Schwinn engineer and responsible for the design. Was the intent to be proprietary and only exist on Schwinn bikes? I get the general impression that many bicycle enthusiasts think little of these clips and remove them. Personally, I agree with those that believe them to be a superfluous safety device. I will say though, that I’ve left them on all of my Schwinn bikes. If I acquire a Schwinn where a previous owner had removed them, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t seek out replacements. RE: the question as how the clips should be oriented, I put the front wheel in the fork so the clips are as pictured in the photo.
Likes For sovende:
Old 05-10-21, 11:02 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Either way is fine.

Of course, that will not prevent this thread from hitting 3 pages.
You called it!! Still surprised me!
Old 05-10-21, 12:08 PM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts

Hmm in 26 years of mountain biking I caught my front QR on vines once and it opened quickly, causing a nasty crash. You know what they say- "fool me once.."
One a MTB I face both QR levers (on my now-ancient 26er and 29er) backwards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.