Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Robots in the bike lane

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Robots in the bike lane

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-21, 08:16 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
here's a good rule for the mup. nothing with a motor
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 06-25-21, 09:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2582 Post(s)
Liked 5,641 Times in 2,921 Posts
If we had pizza-bots, I would start carrying a crowbar for a free lunch.

Old 06-26-21, 09:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6194 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Sure it wasn't a Trikke? Street Striders generally go straight. Trikke propulsion requires carving back and forth:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9kQ0XTs6_3w
No, it definitely isn't a Trikke.

It may not be a StreetStrider but it's something that you have to work both arms and legs in that nordic/alpine fashion of cross country skiing when you have to use your poles and arms a lot.

When I first saw the thing and searched to find out what it might be, StreetStrider was the closest thing I found to it.
Old 06-26-21, 09:29 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
When one gets confused and makes the wrong move and hurts a cyclist, what then? If you ask me this is an accident waiting to happen. Cool concept though.
Old 06-26-21, 11:15 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4356 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
We don't need robot vehicles delivering pizza on a bike path. Just throw them off the Congress Ave. Bridge. This whole robot/AI/Driverless thing is getting kind of disgusting. Technology is cool but people want to take jobs from people and take space from cyclists and pedestrians for their goofy mobile e-waste. Maybe if Google and all the other companies working on this e-waste are going to pay a heck of a heap in taxes to fix the roads and public infrastructure, than maybe I could see something or if they only operate on toll roads that would work but beyond that no thanks,
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-26-21, 11:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,553 Times in 7,330 Posts
I have 2 pizza places within a 1.5 block radius of my house. One is a half a lock away. Both are independently owned.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-26-21, 11:43 AM
J Palmer Cass

Bikes: ICE Adventure, TSDZ2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
So some business person sees an angle to make a buck while pushing it as something beneficial to the public rather than beneficial to themself--you know, all that "it's greener and will cut down on cars" and all that ********. Like they're doing us a favor. And a lot of saps will buy into it.
Old 06-26-21, 12:42 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,972 Times in 1,918 Posts
Originally Posted by J Palmer Cass
a lot of saps
Originally Posted by J Palmer Cass
will buy into it.
this sums it up.
Old 06-27-21, 01:10 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Maybe two years ago one of these companies came to our city council meeting to request permission to trial such a system. I went to watch. I was appalled at how the council ate it all up. They were so excited that we might be leading edge. I was sitting in the back where I could watch the presenter and his staff. The guy was yammering on about AI while the guy in the back was driving the thing from his phone. He drove it into the chamber and down the aisle to do a couple pirouettes. Meanwhile the senior citizen council members were praising themselves for their forward thinking.

I think kicking it off the bridge into the creek is a good approach. We do have a creek and bridge readily available.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 06-29-21, 06:36 PM
Airfehr

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
A lot of jobs will be replace by AI in the not to distant future. For the time being I prefer to spend my money with real people for service. Very rarely use the self checkout lanes. Also try to spend my money locally. Several pizza shops here have bicycle delivery. It will be a sad day if that changes to bots.

As for bots in the bike lane. While I like the idea that it may help expand our number of bike lanes, the E-bike fad maybe enough to for the city to improve and expand our current infrastructure. So I'm going with no.

First post.
Old 06-30-21, 04:08 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
The ones I saw can't right themselves. I was really bored today and was looking at drones. The air delivery by drones is coming soon. Dominoes, Pizza Hut and others have already been up and running for several years in other countries. Amazon and others have approval and are working on the infrastructure for it. So it looks like there could soon be a market for armored windshields and steel helmets. Uber eats has been up and running with the little 6 wheeled delivery robots for thousands
of hours in northern California and claims that there has been no vandalism yet.
Bands of ebike desperados looting the robots for the, no, not the pizza...the batteries.
Old 06-30-21, 05:04 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
The fun part is going to be figuring out how to screw with the ai to freeze the damn things or, even better, drain their batteries traveling in circles. I'm thinking it might be possible to get two of them to pair up as dance partners.

​​​​​​ When the bike lane is just a part of the road you dump things that slow down the traffic lanes, it will quickly cease to be a bike lane. And why, as a society, should we be encouraging more meal delivery? It's obviously a very wasteful method of distributing food. I'm not saying you should stop having food delivered, but I don't think we should be subsidizing the automation of delivery by providing a special lane for it.
Old 06-30-21, 06:31 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by livedarklions
The fun part is going to be figuring out how to screw with the ai to freeze the damn things or, even better, drain their batteries traveling in circles. I'm thinking it might be possible to get two of them to pair up as dance partners.

​​​​​​ When the bike lane is just a part of the road you dump things that slow down the traffic lanes, it will quickly cease to be a bike lane. And why, as a society, should we be encouraging more meal delivery? It's obviously a very wasteful method of distributing food. I'm not saying you should stop having food delivered, but I don't think we should be subsidizing the automation of delivery by providing a special lane for it.
Unless the "AI" device is constantly updating & upgrading its own OS on the fly, there will be L33T attack attempts & most will be successful.
Old 06-30-21, 07:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Unless the "AI" device is constantly updating & upgrading its own OS on the fly, there will be L33T attack attempts & most will be successful.
I should have been more clear, I'm not advocating hacking. I just mean that the bot is going to have decision rules when it's interacting with the environment--e.g., always yield to pedestrians and bicycles. Most likely, it's going to be perfectly legal to get in front of the thing and either stop or slow to a crawl, which could cause it to divert its path per whatever its passing algorithm is telling it to do. With a bit of trial and error, I would bet a person or persons could come up with a strategy of how to place themselves that just completely stymied the bot's ability to keep moving towards its destination.

My ideal scenario would be to put one bot into the path of the other and isolate them in such a way that they can't figure out how to get past each other.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-30-21, 07:24 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I should have been more clear, I'm not advocating hacking. I just mean that the bot is going to have decision rules when it's interacting with the environment--e.g., always yield to pedestrians and bicycles. Most likely, it's going to be perfectly legal to get in front of the thing and either stop or slow to a crawl, which could cause it to divert its path per whatever its passing algorithm is telling it to do. With a bit of trial and error, I would bet a person or persons could come up with a strategy of how to place themselves that just completely stymied the bot's ability to keep moving towards its destination.

My ideal scenario would be to put one bot into the path of the other and isolate them in such a way that they can't figure out how to get past each other.
convoy of bots just screams pathway rage
Old 06-30-21, 09:02 AM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Very brave of this company to test their AI Bots in Austin, lol.

Years ago there was a Canadian company that had an AI Bot that was hitchhiking across the US (after successfully hitchhiking across Canada) and got murked as soon as he hit the ghetto in Philly.

I'm sure this will work out wonderfully.
Old 06-30-21, 02:56 PM
Gyro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Had a small wheel size electric bike blow by me on a MUP the other day. Packages in the side mounted wire baskets. I was doing about 15mph, he had to be well over 20mph. He did call out he was passing before he went by. The MUP is three miles in length, broken in one mile bits by crossroads.
Most of our so called bike paths are nothing more that lines painted on roads, where before there was nothing. Shazam! Instant bike paths.
Old 07-02-21, 08:54 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
I wonder if suburban bears like pizza
Old 07-02-21, 10:26 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
My wife and I were riding near my alma mater, and we decided to ride around and check out the campus. It had been a lot of years since I was in some parts of it. Things have changed. These little guys were running up and down the sidewalks delivering food to the dorms. I suspect they might have cameras that would help identify anyone messing with them. Better wear your mask

Last edited by Doug64; 07-02-21 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-02-21, 11:36 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,485 Times in 3,209 Posts
Robots in the bike lane

Old 07-03-21, 12:19 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18377 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
If there is more demand for bike paths, perhaps the cities will put in more bike paths. And, it could convince more people that they actually want bike paths. That can't be a bad thing.

However, I doubt the speed limit of 15 MPH on the Pizza Bots will be forever.

If you buy delivered pizza, you want it hot and fresh, right?

Imagine the next gen of pizza bots that are designed the size of a skateboard... able to whiz in and out of traffic at 100 MPH. Slip right under cars and between the tires. Plot a path to dart across intersections no matter the traffic lights.
Old 07-03-21, 10:52 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
To be fair, I feel more threatened by the crop of motorists already out there. I have my doubts about any autonomous or semi-autonomous technology, but I suspect it'll be a while before AI is capable of supporting the kind of malice human motorists display when confronted with anything on less than 4 wheels.
Old 07-03-21, 11:22 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
It's not malice though, the reason for fear is the consequences of too much perfect but impact-ignorant compliance, especially triggering human frustration.

Eg, I once nearly got taken out on a curve by a fellow cyclist who went blindly into my lane to pass a mother hen and long line of training wheel ducklings in his.

People should accommodate family groups of course, it's gaggles of perfectly spaced robots that could ruin a route.

People should get off the couch and walk or ride to get their own pizza.
Old 07-03-21, 04:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18377 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
It would be interesting to play with one of these bots to see how it navigates around people, obstacles, cyclists, pedestrians, skateboarders, etc. How does it deal with adverse lighting conditions, busy traffic, etc.

We already know the Uber Robots simply run over the cyclists that get in their way.
Old 07-03-21, 05:35 PM
Troul 

The name for these new robots could be, "iDrive Distracted" .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.