Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Aethos Pro or SuperSix Evo HM?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-21, 08:20 PM
Murf58

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Hi All,
I have worked (and saved) to get a nice road bike, light and comfortable. I don't and wont be racing competitively but do compete in the odd event (hopefully doing more over the next year).
I have narrowed it down to the following 2 bikes - of course heavily influenced by the availability.issues plaguing the industry.
The aethos pro (which is a force electronic build) and the SuperSix (which is DA Di2). The cannondale is a couple of thousand dollars dearer.
I have read every review I could find on this site and online. Unfortunately a demo ride wont be possible.
I would appreciate any thoughts (positive or negative) on each bike.
Thankyou
Old 07-04-21, 08:57 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Are Cannondale still doing BB30? I'd be keen if they've moved on to PF30 or T47, otherwise hard pass.
Old 07-04-21, 09:11 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Murf58
Hi All,
I have worked (and saved) to get a nice road bike, light and comfortable. I don't and wont be racing competitively but do compete in the odd event (hopefully doing more over the next year).
I have narrowed it down to the following 2 bikes - of course heavily influenced by the availability.issues plaguing the industry.
The aethos pro (which is a force electronic build) and the SuperSix (which is DA Di2). The cannondale is a couple of thousand dollars dearer.
I have read every review I could find on this site and online. Unfortunately a demo ride wont be possible.
I would appreciate any thoughts (positive or negative) on each bike.
Thankyou
OT, but I am interested to know how you compete on a bike without racing.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-04-21, 11:59 PM
Murf58

Originally Posted by kimmo
are cannondale still doing bb30? I'd be keen if they've moved on to pf30 or t47, otherwise hard pass.
pf30
Likes For Murf58:
Old 07-05-21, 12:00 AM
Murf58

Originally Posted by Koyote
OT, but I am interested to know how you compete on a bike without racing.
Perhaps participate and compete against myself would have been more accurate!
Old 07-05-21, 03:42 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 4,861 Times in 3,007 Posts
Well the Aethos is billed as being the ultimate lightweight bike for someone not very race focused. If you are doing a lot of climbing then it’s probably your best bet. But there are two things that put me off the Aethos. Firstly it has the same geometry as the Tarmac, so a bit racey for a non-race bike. Secondly it is so ultra-light its longevity is a bit of an unknown at this point. Personally for a non-race bike I would prefer a slightly more relaxed endurance geometry, but that’s a personal preference.
Old 07-05-21, 04:33 AM
Murf58

Thanks Pete - yes I did notice similar the geometry to the Tarmac. The SuperSix has the same reach but a higher stack by 10mm. However the ETT on the Cannondale is longer by a few mm (I figure a slightly slacker seat tube causes this?).
Both the Aethos and the SuperSix have a lifetime frame warranty - so, in theory, longevity not an issue. I’ve never owned a Cannondale but I have had a Specialized frame defect previously which Spec replaced with no dramas.

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Well the Aethos is billed as being the ultimate lightweight bike for someone not very race focused. If you are doing a lot of climbing then it’s probably your best bet. But there are two things that put me off the Aethos. Firstly it has the same geometry as the Tarmac, so a bit racey for a non-race bike. Secondly it is so ultra-light its longevity is a bit of an unknown at this point. Personally for a non-race bike I would prefer a slightly more relaxed endurance geometry, but that’s a personal preference.
Old 07-05-21, 06:20 AM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
I've heard the six evo is the shiz, and I'm a huge Shimano fan, so it sounds to me like you're asking, should I buy the flash bike or the flashest bike. No-brainer if you've got the cash to bash, right?

It's just a bummer Shimano doesn't do BB30. I'd have to take advantage of that bike's frame to swap out the HT2 for a crank that isn't designed to get heel scuff.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 07-05-21, 07:03 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 4,861 Times in 3,007 Posts
Thanks Pete - yes I did notice similar the geometry to the Tarmac. The SuperSix has the same reach but a higher stack by 10mm. However the ETT on the Cannondale is longer by a few mm (I figure a slightly slacker seat tube causes this?).
Both the Aethos and the SuperSix have a lifetime frame warranty - so, in theory, longevity not an issue. I’ve never owned a Cannondale but I have had a Specialized frame defect previously which Spec replaced with no dramas.
While warranty should cover you, it can be a pita if you have to claim while you want to be out riding the bike. The SuperSix has been out long enough for any obvious weaknesses to show up and so is more of a proven design (presuming there are no known issues). The Aethos is very much a new ground-breaking lightweight frame design for Specialized so you have to hope they got it right first time. I'm sure you would be extremely happy riding either of these bikes if their geometry suits you well. I presume you know that the Aethos Pro wheels are not tubeless compatible if that matters to you.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-05-21, 09:36 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
What's your past experience with bikes? What do you have now and how many miles do you put on them a year?

These are two of the many top bikes out there, though the Aethos is so new and controversial to some for it's non-aero approach. If you don't have much experience, then you'll never really know what's so good about them when you ride them.

You'll just be riding a bike that someone told you was a great bike.
Old 07-05-21, 12:49 PM
Murf58

I came predominantly from mountain bikes - started BMX as a 10 year old, well over 40 years ago - and then had a Centurion Ironman in the 80's doing the odd recreational triathlon. I haven't been riding continuously all that time but moved across to road/gravel alongside the MTB in the last 10 years.
In terms of road bikes I have a TCR that now gets used on the indoor trainer, but have had an SL6 tarmac (wish I hadn't sold it!) and a defy. I agree there are many excellent bikes around - getting a hold of them is the issue at the moment.

Originally Posted by Iride01
What's your past experience with bikes? What do you have now and how many miles do you put on them a year?

These are two of the many top bikes out there, though the Aethos is so new and controversial to some for it's non-aero approach. If you don't have much experience, then you'll never really know what's so good about them when you ride them.

You'll just be riding a bike that someone told you was a great bike.
Old 07-05-21, 01:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
I came predominantly from mountain bikes - started BMX as a 10 year old, well over 40 years ago - and then had a Centurion Ironman in the 80's doing the odd recreational triathlon. I haven't been riding continuously all that time but moved across to road/gravel alongside the MTB in the last 10 years.
In terms of road bikes I have a TCR that now gets used on the indoor trainer, but have had an SL6 tarmac (wish I hadn't sold it!) and a defy. I agree there are many excellent bikes around - getting a hold of them is the issue at the moment.
Well if you've ridden the Tarmac enough to know that you wish you hadn't sold it then you probably will appreciate the handling of those two bikes. Personally, I'd go for the Aethos just because it has some of the old vintage bike look to it.... to me.

The SuperSix EVO was one of three bikes on the top of my list when I got my current 2020 Tarmac. Probably the only reason I didn't get that over the Tarmac is because the Cannondale dealer didn't have any for me to try. Giant TCR was the other bike on my short list. The Aethos hadn't been announced yet.

So I don't think you'd go wrong with either. Just consider the groupsets, wheels and stuff like that. If that's a wash then color and which ever one screams "ride me" louder to you.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-07-21, 04:12 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,018 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Are Cannondale still doing BB30? I'd be keen if they've moved on to PF30 or T47, otherwise hard pass.
It is a BB30a, just like the one on my Synapse, which has been fine so far. But I don't put out mad power like y'all.

OP is looking at a top of the line bike which comes with the super sexy SISL2 cranks and OPI spider rings.
Old 07-07-21, 11:53 AM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
I'm not fan of the dropped seat stay look so by looks alone, I'd choose the Aethos. I believe you can get either SRAM or Shimano on the Aethos (not sure on the Cannondale) so perhaps groupset would sway your choice one way or another? I think others mentioned availability so I'm sure that will be the actual deciding factor. And as others have mentioned go with whichever one revs your engine the most. Particularly since you're not racing and looking for marginal gains type of differences between the two.

Post pics of whichever one you do get though!
Old 07-08-21, 07:33 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Is the Supersix locked in to the proprietary stem only? Both great bikes but in my case, I play with stem length and rise so generally, the proprietary stem/cockpit kills it for me unless they have diff options in length and rise. A threaded BB is nice to have but I have never had any issues with PF BBs. It can happen with some frames. I have switched over to Works BBs with angular bearings. I'd lean towards the Aethos. Both can be built up really light even with solid wheels, so that is awesome. Keep us posted.
Old 07-08-21, 09:45 AM
sjammer

Bikes: Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 41 Posts
I ride an Aethos, it is an amazing bike in my opinion. It is light, responsive, and fast. Comfort has not been an issue at all on any rides short or long. The Aethos Pro is a great bike,
Old 07-09-21, 08:45 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I was just looking at these two bikes, among a couple of others I like. Looks like it is hard to find high end frames/builds with rim brakes nowadays. Not that I have to have that and I'd prob get a disc frame given this development, but I better cancel that Zipp 303 rim brake wheelset order. It will likely not transfer over to my next bike. It wold be awesome to build or or buy a 15 lb bike next.