Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rear brake superfluous ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rear brake superfluous ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-23, 09:37 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
fwiw, I always wear out the pads on my rear brakes first, both mtb and road. I'm about 200 pounds and use the rear to help control speed on twisty roads. In fact, I almost always use both brakes during normal stopping, even in the city.

On the dirt, the front brake can get you into trouble when things are loose and rocky. Braking early for turns is the key.
Riding motorcycles in the dirt lets you practice sliding the rear wheel around and it works on mountain bikes, too. Obviously, road bikes are not supposed to be drifted into turns but those reactions learned on dirt can help if you do get the rear wheel loose.
Old 01-17-23, 10:08 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
This whole trend of riding with just one front brake is just a silly and stupid urban trend started by fixie hipsters trying to look cool and hardcore.

This is why cool kids shouldn't tease the dorks in middle school; it scars them for a lifetime.

In truth, fixed gear riders often go brakeless or front-only simply because their track frames aren't drilled for brakes.

But don't let me interrupt your "I am the real cyclist. All others are posers" mantra.

Last edited by Rolla; 01-17-23 at 10:15 AM.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-17-23, 10:24 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
One time when I was left hooked by a car I was very glad I had a quality working rear brake. I was able to lean the bicycle a bit and hit that rear brake hard and it caused the rear wheel to slide in a controlled manner and the bicycle did a 90 degree instant turn and was parallel to that vehicle. Had i not had a good working rear brake I would have hit that vehicle.

Cheers
Old 01-17-23, 10:24 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Not having a rear brake would upset the front/rear balance of the bike.
Old 01-17-23, 10:50 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Not having a rear brake would upset the front/rear balance of the bike.
I hope this is a poor attempt at humor.
Old 01-17-23, 10:56 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Koyote
I hope this is a poor attempt at humor.
It's actually pretty funny, but I suppose only to someone who saw a similar post in the disc brake thread.
Old 01-17-23, 11:11 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
It's actually pretty funny, but I suppose only to someone who saw a similar post in the disc brake thread.
Coming from someone else, it might've been funny. Coming from you, it easily could've been another of your wacky claims.
Old 01-17-23, 11:11 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Funny, MTB guys find it useful to be able to lock up the rear wheel. A locked rear wheel is also fairly easy to control, if you've got your weight back, like you should, when you're braking hard.

Riding MTBs and Motos, on loose surfaces, and on the street you can feel the effects of braking one wheel or the other much more distinctly than a rigid road bike. Loose surfaces will show you very quickly, the way braking cuts into the "traction budget" available to your wheels for things like steering and lateral grip.
Motos, with their far higher weight, and suspension, can demonstrate much more clearly how braking one wheel or the other affects the distribution of weight from front to rear that's not as obvious on a rigid road bike.

For example, on a bumpy corner, you want to shift your weight back, and keep your arms loose to lessen the shocks, but that takes away from the weight you need for grip, and keeping the wheel in contact with the road surface. Trailing the rear brake makes the frame rotate around the rear axle, applying force (but not weight) to the front wheel, helping keep it on the road, and adding to the available grip.

Brakes aren't an either / or all-or-nothing proposition either, and I don't know why that trope persists around here that managing two handbrakes is so challenging.

My feeling on this is that unlike MTBs and motorcycles, a road bike (on good pavement) lets you get away with bad habits until a much higher threshold, until it bites you; at which point " Two Handbrakes is too hard!"
Yes! Understanding how and when to modulate each brake independently is one of the skills of a competent cyclist.
Old 01-17-23, 11:12 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Koyote
Coming from someone else, it might've been funny. Coming from you, it easily could've been another of your wacky claims.
My other thought is that you have no sense of humor. Which is apparent on its face.
Old 01-17-23, 11:25 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
I also went over the bars by just grabbing the front brake. I have scars to remind me.
Old 01-17-23, 11:26 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by Kontact
my own experiences in tight, hilly, wet conditions that lead me to believe that rear brakes are of extremely limited value in downhill turns. I wouldn't want to not have a rear brake, but I don't think there are many circumstances where it will save you instead of contributing to a loss of directional control.
That hasn't been my experience. For the most part, I try to do as much of my braking as possible while the bike is still going straight, using both brakes, with the front doing most of the work. Once I'm in the turn, I try to stay off the front brake and let the front tire's work be as dedicated as possible to just traction and direction. Any additional speed control is managed by the rear brake. Understanding how body (COG) position plays a part in cornering dynamics is an important factor in this, too.
Old 01-17-23, 11:26 AM
don compton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
No rear brake????

riding with only one functional brake is just plain dumb.
👍🏻
Likes For don compton:
Old 01-17-23, 11:30 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Koyote clearly, we are not erudite enough cyclists to understand this sophisticated brand of humor. Yea, our tires are too wide, our bicycles not Italian enough and our sock lines not sharply defined.
Go, now and do your penance: an hour of hill repeats, and 10 Hail Mercxxs. Then maybe we'll understand what he's blathering on about.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 01-17-23, 11:37 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
And an observation from this guy who has ridden a lot of miles fix gear, always with two good brakes. Rear brakes work really well on fix gears; in fact better than on road bikes because you have instant lock-up feedback. A tool I used in snow and ice many, many times in my midwest and northeast commuter days when I rode n everything. This gave me braking in really slippery conditions where touching the front brake was a way to greet the pavement/ice instantly.
Old 01-17-23, 11:40 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
Step #1: Ride down a steep hill with only the front brake.

Step #2: Have next of kin post results.
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 01-17-23, 11:51 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Years ago when I was learning to ride motorcycles I was told to apply the rear brakes hard first and then follow with the front brakes. The reason is by applying the rear brake hard, you squat the rear end. Now you apply the front also- the whole bike squats down and you have a well controlled two wheel braking. If you apply front brake first the front will squat and the rear will rise, and you are on your way to an endo.
On a bike with no suspension, the effect is far less pronounced, but I still find it beneficial to brake the rear hard first, and then follow a split second later with the front. As Cyccocommute says- it you over-rely on the front, you will find yourself lifting the rear tire.
Old 01-17-23, 11:58 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Koyote clearly, we are not erudite enough cyclists to understand this sophisticated brand of humor. Yea, our tires are too wide, our bicycles not Italian enough and our sock lines not sharply defined.
Yep. Don't know what you mean with the sock lines, though. Who has lines on their socks?
Old 01-17-23, 12:02 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Step #1: Ride down a steep hill with only the front brake.

Step #2: Have next of kin post results.
And related - if that front brake goes kapooey (cable breaking, ancient lever deciding this was its last ride, a hanger failing ... it will do it when you are braking very hard, like on that steep hill with a stop sign at the bottom. Now if you also have a rear brake, well you probably won't be able to stop by that stop sign but you have far more options. Much better ability to plant yourself in that bush accurately or lay down the bike. (Really easy! Just grab that brake, let the wheel slide around and the rest just happens. Usually no broken bones, just lost skin.) No rear brake? Well the good thing is that the entertainment value of the next few seconds is much better. And you get to be the star.

Redundancy in key systems is a concept deeply in-bedded in the practices and regulations of the aircraft world, the marine world, the automotive world ... Just one brake and a freewheel between the engine and drive wheel? The designers and regulators of any of those other modes of transit would shudder.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-17-23, 12:02 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Years ago when I was learning to ride motorcycles I was told to apply the rear brakes hard first and then follow with the front brakes. The reason is by applying the rear brake hard, you squat the rear end. Now you apply the front also- the whole bike squats down and you have a well controlled two wheel braking. If you apply front brake first the front will squat and the rear will rise, and you are on your way to an endo.
On a bike with no suspension, the effect is far less pronounced, but I still find it beneficial to brake the rear hard first, and then follow a split second later with the front. As Cyccocommute says- it you over-rely on the front, you will find yourself lifting the rear tire.
A big difference between bicycles and motorcycles is that our body is a much larger percentage of the total weight of the package, and shifting our weight has a larger affect on braking dynamics. Shifting our body rearward as we brake hard keeps the rear wheel firmly planted, and contributing to deceleration.
Old 01-17-23, 12:04 PM
79pmooney

Yep. Don't know what you mean with the sock lines, though. Who has lines on their socks?
Tan line at the sock top. (Not that I care.)
Old 01-17-23, 12:09 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
Riding with only one functional brake is just plain dumb.
But, deleting one brake may keep your bike under $14,000, so it makes you smart again.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-17-23, 12:13 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
A big difference between bicycles and motorcycles is that our body is a much larger percentage of the total weight of the package, and shifting our weight has a larger affect on braking dynamics. Shifting our body rearward as we brake hard keeps the rear wheel firmly planted, and contributing to deceleration.
Yep, too many cyclists use motorcycles as proof of some bike-handling principle, but totally ignore the huge difference in bike-to-rider weight ratios and how it changes things.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 01-17-23, 12:23 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yep, too many cyclists use motorcycles as proof of some bike-handling principle, but totally ignore the huge difference in bike-to-rider weight ratios and how it changes things.
As well as major differences in traction, torque and delivering power in turms.
Old 01-17-23, 12:26 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
That hasn't been my experience. For the most part, I try to do as much of my braking as possible while the bike is still going straight, using both brakes, with the front doing most of the work. Once I'm in the turn, I try to stay off the front brake and let the front tire's work be as dedicated as possible to just traction and direction. Any additional speed control is managed by the rear brake. Understanding how body (COG) position plays a part in cornering dynamics is an important factor in this, too.
I also avoid braking in turns. But its not always up to me.
Old 01-17-23, 12:29 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
There are probably some principles that apply to both, but it's not universal, for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.