Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Losing the group to age

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Losing the group to age

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-23, 11:12 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Losing the group to age

The years may not be kind. The group I regularly ride with are starting to show their age.
Not physically, but mentally.
One does not ride anymore because he's worried about his prostate (no conditions), another won't ride if it's too cold, I won't ride when it's too hot. One, who when working would always be with us, now that he's retired, has stopped coming out.
I'm not in shape to go with young riders, so mostly it's been solo riding.
How do you cope?
Old 11-28-23, 04:55 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
I would be thankful for all the years of cycling together.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 11-28-23, 05:01 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
If you're determined to ride in a group; find a cycling club/group in your area that has rides within your abilities. Or, break out that wallet and buy a nice E road bike and go with the youngsters. That's exactly what I'm gonna do when the time comes.
Old 11-28-23, 05:17 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
I would be thankful for all the years of cycling together.
This.

My FIL is actually losing his group - they are dying off.

Be happy these people are still with you.
Old 11-28-23, 05:33 AM
CanNik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would like to ride in a group but there are none, prostate **********??

Perhaps I am just fit at 66, I did 40 miles last week, instead of taking the car, surely it is better to ride for health than not
Old 11-28-23, 06:55 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
The years may not be kind. The group I regularly ride with are starting to show their age.
One does not ride anymore because he's worried about his prostate (no conditions), another won't ride if it's too cold, I won't ride when it's too hot. One, who when working would always be with us, now that he's retired, has stopped coming out.
How do you cope?
That happens with a lot of activities. You’re just rolling along, doing your thing … and seemingly, all of a sudden, you notice:

”Jeez … I’m the oldest MF’er here. What happened to everyone?”

And it’s like you noted. Most of the absentees are not absent because they are physically incapable. It’s because they’ve lost interest.

I’ve noticed it in my profession, surfing, skiing, cycling… all kinds of things.

i think it’s due to a lot of different things. Just about everything I choose to do, it’s because the anticipation of fun or adventure outweighs the hassle factor. And as I get older, the hassle factor grows and the anticipation diminishes. I love to ski, but if I had to hassle the crowds, and clomp around in ski boots the way I used to in my 20s, I wouldn’t be doing it anymore.

i think the solution is seek out new people to ride with in that dwindling pool (probably a good thing anyway), and to seek out new adventures to revive that feeling of anticipation.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 11-28-23, 07:20 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Look for groups that ride at your ability, not your age.
The club I ride with regularly schedules rides I would have loved to participate in when I was much younger. But now, the pace is too fast, and the distances and climbing are too much for this old body to keep up.
Luckily, there are also easier rides in the 13-15 MPH average range, typically under 30 miles long or so. Here in Upstate SC it's difficult to find any route longer than that that doesn't involve some pretty challenging climbs. There is a 'core group' of, uh, "more seasoned" riders that shows up. I think the youngest in that group is 60, and there are several e-bikes mixed in as well. We also get some younger riders new to riding. We'll help them with questions about how to shift and brake, how to ride in a group safely, things like that. Eventually, many of them move up to the faster groups, and that's fine.
Seek out a group like that. If you're a member of a club, try volunteering to plan and lead a ride. I've done several, and one of my rules is that the group will ride at the pace of the slowest rider in the group (provided the minimum average is maintained.) What started out as three or four riders has grown as word got out. It brought back a lot of riders that had stopped because they felt they couldn't keep up.
Old 11-28-23, 07:26 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 412 Posts
My experience as well, I don't try to schedule group rides any more. Other than keeping bikes for our kids and grandkids group rides when they are in town it is solo rides for me and the occasional meeting someone on a ride. Often in the Airpark where we live with miles of wide, smooth, empty roads when I run down a rider or group to talk about the dangers of taxiing aircraft and why we have no bikes signs, I make a new cycling friend but only briefly or at best an occasional friendly wave.
Old 11-28-23, 07:44 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
i think the solution is seek out new people to ride with in that dwindling pool (probably a good thing anyway), and to seek out new adventures to revive that feeling of anticipation.
Sometimes the answer is even to do a different activity. I know that I quit riding every day for a about 12 years and took up trail running with my dog. She was always ready to go. I still rode, but not as much. I went on rides and even did long tours, but my daily exercise was trail running. When the first trail dog died I got another. She was the best trail dog I could have asked for. The problem is that the whole losing to age thing happens with dogs too. When she couldn't run anymore I didn't have it in my heart to go without her, and wouldn't replace her while she was still with us. so I went back to the MTB for daily exercise. I ride alone though. The old pooch barely makes it around the block these days and the vet says she has dodged more than a few bullets healthwise. I doubt we have much time left with her, but I'll cherish whatever is left because she was the best running, snowshoeing, xc skiing, hiking buddy anyone could ask for. When she passes I may do some trail running again along with the trail riding.

Trail riding, hiking, snowshoeing, xc skiing, and trail running are great solitary activities IMO. If you can fill in with rides with companions here and there too it helps.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 11-28-23, 07:53 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
Sad to hear your group is disbanding.

I cope by being a solo rider, all my life, except for one or two camping weekends a year with friends who live 1-2 hours away.
Old 11-28-23, 08:13 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
I usually ride alone but occasionally I ride with a couple of others from the neighborhood. Nothing formal , but we ride at a conversational pace and enjoy each others company. I have been off the bike for 10 weeks due to a broken hip and surgery. I am the oldest one of the group and I can’t wait to do a real ride , either alone or with the guys. One of my buddies is going through some sort of shoulder issue and another just had back surgery , both much younger than me. I have hopes that we can , at some point , get back together for a ride. If not , I will get on my bike and ride alone. Life happens and age is inevitable, group riding is usually temporary unless you are in a club , but that ain’t my thing.
Old 11-28-23, 08:17 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
I'm 70, and I ride regularly with retired riders, from upper 50s to mid 70s in age. 4000 miles this year for me. We mostly found each other on club rides, riding with other riders of similar speed and distance ranges.
Now there's some ad-hoc email lists for private daytime rides. We'll have anywhere from a few riders to a dozen or so. Groups of 4-6 are the best size. I rarely ride solo, just an occasional hour long local ride.

We have a few much stronger riders, but they are happy to cruise the ride. We have a bunch of scenic, quiet road routes that we like, and mix it up a lot.

With many of the riders on Zwift now, the cold winter rides have fewer riders. I don't ride outside these days unless it's near 50F or higher.

In a few years, the lightweight road e-bikes will get more affordable. These are designed for intermittent assistance, with small 200-250w motors and smaller downtube batteries. Nice for not worrying about keeping up with a group on the bigger hills or strong headwinds.

Last edited by rm -rf; 11-28-23 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-28-23, 08:50 AM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
I have always thoroughly enjoyed solo riding. I also enjoy stopping and talking with people, taking pictures, and finding new routes. I also use the bike for chores and tasks like groceries and mail, etc. That's my solution.

Last edited by gobicycling; 11-28-23 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-28-23, 09:10 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
I ride mostly solo I am at 7000 miles for the year and the majority of those are solo. I did a few miles with my SIL, maybe 200 miles,did maybe 300 miles with a good friend from out of town including a 111 miler, and maybe 700 miles with my neighbor mostly 50 milers and we try and do a weekly 16 mile power hike together. Really helps having a good neighbor who is like minded. I have been invited to ride with a younger local group but I really don't think I fit in with that group for a variety of reasons.
Old 11-28-23, 09:19 AM
CanNik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That happens with a lot of activities. You’re just rolling along, doing your thing … and seemingly, all of a sudden, you notice:

”Jeez … I’m the oldest MF’er here. What happened to everyone?”

And it’s like you noted. Most of the absentees are not absent because they are physically incapable. It’s because they’ve lost interest.

I’ve noticed it in my profession, surfing, skiing, cycling… all kinds of things.

i think it’s due to a lot of different things. Just about everything I choose to do, it’s because the anticipation of fun or adventure outweighs the hassle factor. And as I get older, the hassle factor grows and the anticipation diminishes. I love to ski, but if I had to hassle the crowds, and clomp around in ski boots the way I used to in my 20s, I wouldn’t be doing it anymore.

And you seriously have to say "MF’er" in a post
Old 11-28-23, 09:36 AM
big john

Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
I joined a large-ish road club in 1989. Lots of people have come and gone and I have slowed and lost the ability to chase all day. Recently a group has formed within the ranks who are easier for me to ride with. I have found that women are more empathetic toward other riders and most do not try to drop everyone they can.

Or I can go with my friends, some of whom have switched to e--bikes, and get hammered on for the whole ride.

I also found another club which is very friendly and they work to keep the group together most of the time. Only problem is their Saturday rides are usually too short for my taste.
Old 11-28-23, 09:38 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I joined a large-ish road club in 1989. Lots of people have come and gone and I have slowed and lost the ability to chase all day. Recently a group has formed within the ranks who are easier for me to ride with. I have found that women are more empathetic toward other riders and most do not try to drop everyone they can.

Or I can go with my friends, some of whom have switched to e--bikes, and get hammered on for the whole ride.

I also found another club which is very friendly and they work to keep the group together most of the time. Only problem is their Saturday rides are usually too short for my taste.
Dude … next time plan to be up in the Valley, I’m gonna give you a shout out for a ride.

we can stop for a dose of Geritol first. lol

Likes For Biker395:
Old 11-28-23, 10:01 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1612 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,225 Posts
We have a coffee group that meets for rides in the 15-30 mile range. There are presently 59 emails attached but the average turn out is about 8 riders. The head of the group is 82 and looking to tap. Not sure it will survive but nobody wants off the list. I'm trying to get a rotating lead to involve more of the riders but most don't want the responsibility. We'll see how that goes.
Old 11-28-23, 10:03 AM
big john

Dude … next time plan to be up in the Valley, I’m gonna give you a shout out for a ride.

we can stop for a dose of Geritol first. lol
lol, yeah. I think the last time I rode with you was when we did Yerba Buena and down Latigo. When bf member datlas was here several weeks ago I took him on the same ride. He liked it and didn't seem to mind waiting for me.

I still love the Santa Monicas and even the San Gabriels, too. Been riding with Brian a bit these days. He's been coming to the club rides more often.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-28-23, 10:07 AM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
I appreciate the input.
The clubs are not my thing. I do not wear matching jerseys with "sponsors". I rarely like to meet new people.
As many of you know, getting older means less tolerance. For example I would not ride with someone who posts: "And you seriously have to say "MF’er" in a post"
The riding is always great and the memories for are there, at least for now. Maybe my friends's offspring would like to ride. And getting older is surely better than the alternative
Old 11-28-23, 10:14 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
I appreciate the input.
The clubs are not my thing. I do not wear matching jerseys with "sponsors". I rarely like to meet new people.
As many of you know, getting older means less tolerance. For example I would not ride with someone who posts: "And you seriously have to say "MF’er" in a post"
The riding is always great and the memories for are there, at least for now. Maybe my friends's offspring would like to ride. And getting older is surely better than the alternative
yup that's my problem too. i am too redneck for most groups.

Last edited by jadmt; 11-28-23 at 11:34 AM.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 11-28-23, 10:16 AM
big john

I appreciate the input.
The 2 clubs I ride with are very casual in their approach. Just show up wearing whatever you want. Lead, follow, draft, whatever. As long as you don't endanger others or become a nuisance you are welcome. We've had trikes, recumbents, fixies, and people of all levels on the main club rides. I have made some good friends.
Likes For big john:
Old 11-28-23, 11:20 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
How do you cope?
I happily ride solo. Over the decades, this is mostly how I have ridden, anyway. I enjoy doing errands and other transportation cycling, along with a few favorite local fitness climbs. I like getting out early, at first light, to avoid traffic and sun exposure, but that is too early for most clubs and group rides. I also like setting my own pace and selecting my own routes.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 11-28-23, 11:21 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

The 2 clubs I ride with are very casual in their approach. Just show up wearing whatever you want. Lead, follow, draft, whatever. As long as you don't endanger others or become a nuisance you are welcome. We've had trikes, recumbents, fixies, and people of all levels on the main club rides. I have made some good friends.
That sounds like my sort of club.
Likes For John E:
Old 11-28-23, 11:27 AM
John E
feros ferio

lol, yeah. I think the last time I rode with you was when we did Yerba Buena and down Latigo. When bf member datlas was here several weeks ago I took him on the same ride. He liked it and didn't seem to mind waiting for me.

I still love the Santa Monicas and even the San Gabriels, too. Been riding with Brian a bit these days. He's been coming to the club rides more often.
I can relate to your post, having grown up in west Los Angeles. The Santa Monica "mountains" are great, anything from Malibu all the way across into downtown Los Angeles / Griffith Park area. I used to enjoy climbing one canyon to Mulholland Drive, then down a different canyon to return home.

I have also had two delightful rides with Bike Forums members when they visited. One borrowed the PKN-10 (now my son's bike) for a week, and the other borrowed the Bianchi for a week. (This is where the whole "N+1" thing we talk about in C&V comes in. )
Likes For John E:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.