Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Who makes Rivendell-type bicycles & bicycle frames?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Who makes Rivendell-type bicycles & bicycle frames?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-23, 06:48 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by Writenride
I’d recommend visiting Ben’s sometime for a future visit. The building they’re in used to be an old movie theater. Their warehouse occupies where the seats were all on two floors. .
When I was looking for shifters for my S5 hub they sent me back there telling me to "Look around up there"
Old 07-08-23, 08:40 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 1,063 Posts
My question: Is there a framebuilder, or company out there who produces vintage, but modern mountain bike and road frames with quill stems? If there is, I sure like to find out about them.
Custom. Well, sure.

Standard production? Off the top of my head...

Pashley. Some Breezer models. Detroit. Worksman.
Old 07-08-23, 10:20 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 665 Posts
I have an idea. Come to Portland OR Aug 22-24 for the MADE show. Most the hand made builders in the US will be here.

I gave my spare room to the top builder from Australia who is staying with me, but I have a couch and bedding and plenty of bikes to loan if you need a ride.

Message me

Robert

Last edited by Robvolz; 07-08-23 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-08-23, 10:28 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by twolve
Curt is not longer building bike frames unfortunately. But if you can find one that fits, I promise it will be worth it!

A close friend has a 650b Goodrich that is my size.

Someday he will get bored and I will definitely get first grab.

Yours looks outstanding!!!!
Old 07-08-23, 12:58 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
https://rexcycles.com/

2012 NAHBS Best Road Bike
2016 NAHBS Best Fillet-Brazed Frame
2019 NAHBS Runner-up Road Bike
2019 NAHBS Best City Bike

Steve Rex will do all kinds of custom options. He specializes in fillet brazing but has nice lugs too. Very classy looks, and lots of NorCal fans especially the CX folks. He might try to talk you out of a quill stem though.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 07-08-23, 04:36 PM
Writenride 
Malcontent

Bikes: I honestly don't know...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Custom. Well, sure.

Standard production? Off the top of my head...

Pashley. Some Breezer models. Detroit. Worksman.
Pashley used to make this great light tourer called the Clubman. Bike looked like a hand polished Rolls Royce.
Old 07-08-23, 04:38 PM
Writenride 
Malcontent

Originally Posted by Robvolz
I have an idea. Come to Portland OR Aug 22-24 for the MADE show. Most the hand made builders in the US will be here.

I gave my spare room to the top builder from Australia who is staying with me, but I have a couch and bedding and plenty of bikes to loan if you need a ride.

Message me

Robert
Let me guess, Llewellyn?
Old 07-08-23, 06:23 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,545 Posts
What kind of tubing did Kirk use? Gosh, it almost looks oversize, or maybe the color is playing with my eyes.
This is a JK special, which dave recommended after doing the questionnaire and measurements, which was a bit of a surprise as it is the 'raciest" but it is so nice (note there is not an ounce of upsell with dave, he will give honest opinion, example: i saw bike of his with stainless stays and forks which simulate classic chrome. he steered me away from that for issue like ride not matching and long term paint issue and noted the one I saw was intended by the owner to be a wall hanger)

per Dave's site in a couple of places

The JK Special bikes are built with a proprietary mix of tubes (chainstays, seat stays, and fork blades) made to my specifications by Reynolds of England as well as Reynolds 953 and 853 Pro. The tubing is designed to give a solid and responsive ride without the harshness all too many races bikes are known for and this makes the JKS a race bike you want to spend all day on.

The original JKS is built with oversized main tubes, Kirk by Reynolds stays and blades, and lugs by Llewellyn of Australia and has a moderate slope to the top tube. It can be made with traditional straight seat stays or the optional curved Terraplane stays to up the performance on less than perfect surfaces one more notch. This, and all versions of the JKS, use the Kirk Triple F dropouts to make things simple, strong and light.

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 07-08-23, 07:29 PM
Writenride 
Malcontent

Originally Posted by squirtdad
This is a JK special, which dave recommended after doing the questionnaire and measurements, which was a bit of a surprise as it is the 'raciest" but it is so nice (note there is not an ounce of upsell with dave, he will give honest opinion, example: i saw bike of his with stainless stays and forks which simulate classic chrome. he steered me away from that for issue like ride not matching and long term paint issue and noted the one I saw was intended by the owner to be a wall hanger)

per Dave's site in a couple of places

The JK Special bikes are built with a proprietary mix of tubes (chainstays, seat stays, and fork blades) made to my specifications by Reynolds of England as well as Reynolds 953 and 853 Pro. The tubing is designed to give a solid and responsive ride without the harshness all too many races bikes are known for and this makes the JKS a race bike you want to spend all day on.

The original JKS is built with oversized main tubes, Kirk by Reynolds stays and blades, and lugs by Llewellyn of Australia and has a moderate slope to the top tube. It can be made with traditional straight seat stays or the optional curved Terraplane stays to up the performance on less than perfect surfaces one more notch. This, and all versions of the JKS, use the Kirk Triple F dropouts to make things simple, strong and light.
That is quite impressive. I’ve seen Llewelyn’s work for years, along with his enthusiasm toward steam engines via Flickr.

Since Columbus came out with the Cento tube set in correlation with their 100th Anniversary, seeing Dave Kirk’s work on that green bike struck similarly in tube diameters, namely in the main triangle. I guess why I thought that bike was so amazing.
Old 07-08-23, 10:15 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,545 Posts
That is quite impressive. I’ve seen Llewelyn’s work for years, along with his enthusiasm toward steam engines via Flickr.

Since Columbus came out with the Cento tube set in correlation with their 100th Anniversary, seeing Dave Kirk’s work on that green bike struck similarly in tube diameters, namely in the main triangle. I guess why I thought that bike was so amazing.
The kirk just wants to go......even on just 5 miles to work in the morning I find myself in the drops and pushing, with big smile. The only other bike that came close is my 84 team miyata.
I am building a set of tubular wheels it will be fun to compare the 32 mm rene hearse with 29mm FMB cobblestone on Nemsis rims

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 07-08-23, 10:29 PM
MooneyBloke

Bikes: Two Peter Mooney customs, a 1980 Trek 510 townie, a Marin Stelvio set up for TTs.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 162 Posts
YMMV but not in person was not an issue for me with Dave Kirk. 99% of his frames are not in person. He even caught that I was riding with my seat too low from measurements. I had chatted with him at cino 2021, but that was more about disk vs rim brake.
Similarly, Peter Mooney worked from FitKit measurements and photos, and I'm more than happy with how I sit on the bikes. He too bumped my seat up a bit from the Guimard/Hinault/Lemond style fit I was riding.
Old 07-09-23, 01:42 PM
twolve

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 2012 Goodrich Randoneuse, 2016 A-Train, 2022 Wilde Dream Engine, 2022 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
A close friend has a 650b Goodrich that is my size.

Someday he will get bored and I will definitely get first grab.

Yours looks outstanding!!!!
Thanks! An unfortunate shipping experience led to a new Chris Kvale paint job and new fenders, now it's like a new bike again.

I know you've had a lot of nice bikes, but I think you'd be happy with that Goodrich someday!
Likes For twolve:
Old 07-09-23, 04:16 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
YMMV but not in person was not an issue for me with Dave Kirk. 99% of his frames are not in person. He even caught that I was riding with my seat too low from measurements. I had chatted with him at cino 2021, but that was more about disk vs rim brake.

of course everyone has their own comfort level
The too-low saddle height is the main problem I find myself having to explain to people (who later are almost universally thankful for their corrections).

With a low saddle height, the rider finds themself feeling the rear edge of the saddle top, so the intuitive tendency is the saddle getting moved rearward.
With the saddle moved upward and forward, the rider not only achieves a more-aero profile without having to bend sharply at the waist, they also discover a relatively effortless transition from seated to standing, so the process is quicker and gets done more often according to the whims of the grade of the road you could say.
This helps riders of vintage bikes (having limited gearing) by allowing greater leg extension from standing to thus spare stress on one's knees.
The saddle usually gets leveled out in the process, and the bike's high-speed stability improves greatly.

While the upper body adapts to the added weight borne by the arms, it's mostly the rider's neck that may end up defining the limit of how far forward that the rider can ride.

Last edited by dddd; 07-09-23 at 04:24 PM.
Likes For dddd:
Old 07-10-23, 09:54 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 1,063 Posts
Pashley used to make this great light tourer called the Clubman. Bike looked like a hand polished Rolls Royce.
British Bike Company claims they have some in stock. Charge card & Bob's your uncle.

Old 07-10-23, 11:48 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I sold 2 Rivendell’s and bought these.

Jeff Lyon is the builder.

Lyon L'Avecaise 700c randonnering bikes. Made from thin-wall tubing (28mm 7-4-7 top tube, 32mm down tube) for the right flex characteristics according to the Bicycle Quarterly approach. Designed for a 6ft tall rider weighing 200lbs, made to fit 700x35mm tires (actual width) with fenders.

Geometry details:
Top tube length 58cm c-c (level)
Seat tube length 59cm c-c
Seattube angle 72.5 degrees
Headtube angle 72.5 degrees
Head tube length 178mm
BB drop 78mm
Chainstay length 44cm
Fork rake 58mm

Last edited by fender1; 07-10-23 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-11-23, 11:41 AM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
I sold 2 Rivendell’s and bought these.

Jeff Lyon is the builder.

Lyon L'Avecaise 700c randonnering bikes. Made from thin-wall tubing (28mm 7-4-7 top tube, 32mm down tube) for the right flex characteristics according to the Bicycle Quarterly approach. Designed for a 6ft tall rider weighing 200lbs, made to fit 700x35mm tires (actual width) with fenders.
Is Jeff Lyon still building? I might have to start saving pennies.
Old 07-11-23, 12:50 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by mhespenheide
Is Jeff Lyon still building? I might have to start saving pennies.
Looks like it:

https://lavecaise.wordpress.com/about/

FWIW, The green frame was built in 2022.
Old 07-11-23, 01:30 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Fitz Cycles in Santa Rosa, Ca.
Likes For bargo68:
Old 07-12-23, 02:51 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
Plenty of fantastic builders making frames all over the country right now.

The MADE show next month here has almost 300 exhibitors so far and many that we have called out here are not on the list so anybody looking to have a frame built should have no trouble finding a builder no matter where they are.

https://made.bike/registration/
Likes For merziac:
Old 07-12-23, 09:14 AM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
If you can find a SOMA Stanyan you'd probably be happy with it I think it is a wonderful lugged frame and very stylish even though its not a custom built frame, I get compliments on mine all the time . I am a big sad that SOMA has mostly started making all disc brake frames save one or two . If the Pescadaro was lugged I would have probably already bought one and may still do so simply because it will take center pulls.
Old 07-12-23, 09:54 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I don't run the show, but it would be cool if there were a sticky for active framebuilders (steel, but not necessarily C&V.)
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-12-23, 11:23 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I don't run the show, but it would be cool if there were a sticky for active framebuilders (steel, but not necessarily C&V.)
There is one over at paceline, under the custom builders section. It's even broken down by state.
Old 07-12-23, 12:00 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Milwaukee Bike Co frames were made by Waterford, which is closed. Not available on Ben’s website for now. Hopefully they find another frame builder, although the draw for me, was the Waterford built frame.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 07-12-23, 05:50 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 931 Posts
Let me guess, Llewellyn?
He wishes
Old 07-12-23, 07:32 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
The kirk just wants to go......even on just 5 miles to work in the morning I find myself in the drops and pushing, with big smile. The only other bike that came close is my 84 team miyata.
I am building a set of tubular wheels it will be fun to compare the 32 mm rene hearse with 29mm FMB cobblestone on Nemsis rims
Off topic but I cannot resist. Picked up that rusty Pro Miyata frame ('83) last summer and decked it out with Cyclone brakes and derailleurs, GEL330 tubular rims, 23c and 25c Veloflex rubber. (Nearly the biggest that will fit. Even number widths are hard to find.) That bike! That ride! Takes me back to the race bike I loved. And pushes me to ride harder!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.