Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Schwinn 1987 World Sport as a commuter?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-15, 06:28 AM
MathGrad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello. I'm very new to commuter biking, but I've found what looks to a rookie to be a great deal on a restored 1987 Schwinn World Sport. I really want to get something with STI shifters, and would definitely like to have the possibility of installing interrupter brake levers in the future. Anyway, I was just hoping I could get some advice on whether or not this would be a good commuter bike, since it's a steel frame and a bit older. Thank you very much for your help.

CL ad for the bike
Old 06-12-15, 06:39 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I think that bike would make a fine commuter. Both of my commuter bikes are "steel frame and a bit older." One is a Schwinn from 1982. A lot of riders actually prefer old steel frames.

Somebody else has done the work of upgrading the parts, so you don't need to try and guess what an old bike will cost to upgrade.

There are some minor "cons," but I don't know how serious they are. The variety of good 27 inch tires that are available is dwindling, but probably won't grind to a halt any time soon.

There are things that I can't assess -- how comfortable the bike is for you. There are comparably priced new bikes, so there may have to be some motivation to own an older bike, e.g., in my case I find it to be kinda fun to see how many more years I can get out of classic gear.
Old 06-12-15, 07:07 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Oh man, I'd ride the hell out of an 87 World Sport if I found one. I'd love to find me a good steel frame roadster.

I'd buy that in a second.
Old 06-12-15, 07:43 AM
MathGrad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Somebody else has done the work of upgrading the parts, so you don't need to try and guess what an old bike will cost to upgrade.

There are some minor "cons," but I don't know how serious they are. The variety of good 27 inch tires that are available is dwindling, but probably won't grind to a halt any time soon.

There are things that I can't assess -- how comfortable the bike is for you. There are comparably priced new bikes, so there may have to be some motivation to own an older bike, e.g., in my case I find it to be kinda fun to see how many more years I can get out of classic gear.
Being a complete novice, I have no particular attachment to older bikes vs. newer ones. Also, I am not at all concerned with racing in the foreseeable future, purely getting around town at a decent pace, reliability/sturdiness, and being able to carry a few days' worth of groceries (once a frame-mounted rack is installed). I was just wondering if it's worth waiting on a more modern bike with the features I'm looking for in the sub-$400 price range or if I should jump on a steel frame with modern shifters like this (which it sounds like many would recommend).

For reference on what my ideal setup is, I tried to jump right on this Schwinn Super Sport DBX, but I was apparently just a little too late.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by MathGrad; 06-12-15 at 07:46 AM. Reason: added info
Old 06-12-15, 08:51 AM
Hub Spanner

Bikes: 2011 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2014 Raleigh Sojourn, et al

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A 1987 Schwinn World Sport (almost totally stock, too) was my daily driver for about 10 years. I still have mine, but it is a backup commuter now.

Catalog page: Schwinn 1987 Sport Cycles -- World / World Sport / Sprint

Mine has the gold decals shown in the catalog.

Mine has the original stem-mounted shifters which I had on the bikes of my youth and I really like.

Very sturdy lugged steel frame. I think it is a great bike for commuting. Takes fenders. Finding a modern rear rack that will fit can be challenge, but you should be able to find an older rack at bike swap meet and save some money...if you even need/want a rack. (Rear spacing is the issue...modern bikes - and hence modern racks - are wider.)
Old 06-12-15, 08:59 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11034 Post(s)
Liked 7,581 Times in 4,228 Posts
Well that’s quite the unique offering!

Its pretty cool- just quirky enough to be noticed due to the age and modernization.

Here are a handful of thoughts-

good
  • Itll make a perfectly fine commuter. The wheels are 1 ¼ wide which will be good for roads/paths/sidewalks.
  • The brake calipers are upgraded from original and it’s a significant upgrade.
  • The shifting and brake levers are upgraded from original and they are significant upgrades. .
  • The handlebars are a huge improvement since the stock ones were heavy steel.
  • The seatpost is also upgraded from original. It came stock with a steel plated post, and the one pictured looks to be a laprade style. Lighter and easier to adjust.
  • The frame has double butted main tubes. Helps make the bike lighter than just plain gauge cromo.
  • From afar(the pictures), the repaint and decals look well done.
  • New wheelset and tires
  • 7 speeds now. The bike came stock with 6.
  • Rear rack eyelets will make it easier to add a rack.

bad
  • The new wheelset…eh, that could be bad. It just depends on where the seller got them and if they were properly tensioned. Also, I have seen new mass produced wheelsets with little to no grease in the bearing. Others had grease that was poor quality.
  • The STIs are Tourney, which is very low end nowadays, but its an upgrade over the cheap Chen Shin brand brake levers that came stock.
  • Only the main 3 tubes are double butted. The reset isnt, which will make for a heavier and slightly more dull ride. The fork is heavier than higher quality bikes too.
  • That’s a lot of money for a World Sport, regardless of updates.

My wife rocks a modified 84 WS for trail and town riding and it isnt nearly as upgraded as this, but she likes it.
World Sports are reliable but unremarkable bikes. The bike for sale looks to have been properly assembled and the upgrades look well done. I have refurbished 88 and 89 World Sports made by Giant and was impressed with how well done the frames were. They are solidly assembled, the cable routing made sense, there were no junky brazing, just overall well made mass produced frames.

THE MOST IMPORTANT CONSIDERATION- does it fit? If it doesn’t fit, its useless.
If it fits, you would be hard pressed to find this nice of a bike for this price in your size. There are bikes in your size for less but with less upgrades. There are bikes in your size for less but in bad shape.
Old 06-12-15, 09:08 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I rock and 88 Premis and an 87 Tempo both for commuting, fine steeds. The Premis is even wearing (more modern) 9 speed Ultegra with STI's. I'd say go for it.
Old 06-12-15, 09:20 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I would agree on 2 points, that looks like a fine commuter, and it looks expensive for an older bike with that level of components. It is cheaper than a new bike with any level of STI components, so I would consider it if it fits, and when you meet the seller and check out the bike you have a high level of confidence in the build quality.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 06-12-15, 11:35 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
THE MOST IMPORTANT CONSIDERATION- does it fit? If it doesn’t fit, its useless.
If it fits, you would be hard pressed to find this nice of a bike for this price in your size. There are bikes in your size for less but with less upgrades. There are bikes in your size for less but in bad shape.
+1.

My mantra is that "You can commute on anything." Assuming everything is in fine mechanical shape, it should make a good bike for getting around.

While $369 is more than I'd pay for a Schwinn World Sport, the seller is probably taking a loss considering the refinish, decals, and all the upgraded parts.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-12-15, 12:49 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Looks fantastic, go for it. My wife's 89 Worldsport remains a fantastic bike, it would cost more than CL is asking for that bike to get hers updated like the CL one already is. Inserting modern interrupter brakes (inline that pull the cable directly) would be a big improvement over the original suicide brakes (additional levers that push the 1st levers).
Old 06-12-15, 01:09 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I always wonder what kind of steel are in those bikes, as there is good steel, bad steel, and great steel. Lots of those Schwinns used bad steel, the paramount had some good steel, this one looks in between. Bike looks nice enough, but I would have put 700c wheels on there instead of the outdated 27” rims. Maybe if you could get it for $300…
Old 06-12-15, 02:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11034 Post(s)
Liked 7,581 Times in 4,228 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I always wonder what kind of steel are in those bikes, as there is good steel, bad steel, and great steel. Lots of those Schwinns used bad steel, the paramount had some good steel, this one looks in between. Bike looks nice enough, but I would have put 700c wheels on there instead of the outdated 27” rims. Maybe if you could get it for $300…
Good steel, bad steel andgreat steel?

The World Sport’s tubing changedfrom year to year. Early 80s it was hi-tenall over. Mid 80s offerings like this ’87had cromo double butted main tubes and a hi-ten fork. World Sports in the 90s had True Temper fulldouble butted frames.

Surly LHTs are made with unbranded cromo. Unbranded cromo is plenty reliable and can produce a great ride.

Old 06-12-15, 03:36 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
+1.

My mantra is that "You can commute on anything." Assuming everything is in fine mechanical shape, it should make a good bike for getting around.

While $369 is more than I'd pay for a Schwinn World Sport, the seller is probably taking a loss considering the refinish, decals, and all the upgraded parts.
This. If you like it buy it before someone else does and enjoy it!
Old 06-12-15, 04:34 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by MathGrad
Being a complete novice, I have no particular attachment to older bikes vs. newer ones. Also, I am not at all concerned with racing in the foreseeable future, purely getting around town at a decent pace, reliability/sturdiness, and being able to carry a few days' worth of groceries (once a frame-mounted rack is installed). I was just wondering if it's worth waiting on a more modern bike with the features I'm looking for in the sub-$400 price range or if I should jump on a steel frame with modern shifters like this (which it sounds like many would recommend).
For the sake of reference, here's my Schwinn:

It's shown in a typical pose, carrying a 1/4 sheet of plywood from Home Depot. The condition of the bike is just what ~ 17 years of urban use looks like.

Much as people talk about the love of steel bikes, lots of people are quite happy with aluminum bikes. Don't overlook new bikes when they go on sale. But on the other hand, if this bike gets you out on the road, then it's a good thing.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 12-10-16 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-12-15, 06:52 PM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
That bike looks a lot like my one owner 1973 Schwinn Le Tour.

If the bike fits you and you like the way it rides, buy it.

fat biker
Old 06-12-15, 09:40 PM
MathGrad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I tried several bikes today, and bought the World Sport as it stood clearly above the rest in the simple feel of the ride. None of the other bikes I tried even came close, and some were priced considerably higher.

Everything appeared in pristine condition, and the seller had a garage full of high-end bikes in equally great shape. Also, he seemed to have really enjoyed the rebuild of a model that was one of his first bikes, so I'm confident everything was done with the greatest care here.

Thanks again for the quick outpouring of help.
Old 06-13-15, 09:40 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by MathGrad
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I tried several bikes today, and bought the World Sport as it stood clearly above the rest in the simple feel of the ride. None of the other bikes I tried even came close, and some were priced considerably higher.

Everything appeared in pristine condition, and the seller had a garage full of high-end bikes in equally great shape. Also, he seemed to have really enjoyed the rebuild of a model that was one of his first bikes, so I'm confident everything was done with the greatest care here.

Thanks again for the quick outpouring of help.
I'm glad you got this. I bought my Hardrock from a guy that bought it and fixed it up for his son (or at least that was the story I got) and the son didn't like it. He had a few other much nicer bikes, had replaced most of the things like wheels, tires, cables etc that resulted in the bike being in excellent mechanical shape. It got me riding again and as the years have gone by I've changed some things around to fit my situation. Enjoy!!
Old 06-17-15, 01:55 AM
kengrubb

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn World, 2007 Kona Dew

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I commute on my '86 Schwinn World--not a World Sport. It's lugged, high tensile steel, not cromoly. I spend so much time on it, I'm worried my Kona will run off and cheat on me.