Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Network 3.0 Ridiculous Build Thread....

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Schwinn Network 3.0 Ridiculous Build Thread....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-23, 12:58 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I know it is near bottom of the barrel components but the bike is underneath the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality and not worth upgrades. The only time I would put more than a tubes worth of money into it would be if I was desperate and had nothing else and in that case I would do the absolute bare minimum to keep the bike safely functional till I can put the money towards a bicycle that will suit my needs. Trying to adapt a bike that is not designed for disc brakes and that is already of lower quality for disc brakes which can put a lot of force into a frame and damage it is just a poor idea as well.

Seth/Berm Peak used those parts because he is a youtuber and needs to film content and it was interesting to watch. He makes plenty of money (which is great as I love his content and want him to continue) but I wouldn't follow in his footsteps with some of those chosen parts.
Yea, but we should always remember that people can do whatever they want if they can afford and enjoy it,
Old 05-10-23, 07:46 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronM46
Yep, I am done.

This was a success. I will not be posting to this post again due to there being too many angry jerks that can't see beyond their insecurities. There is not much help to be had on these forums without having to sift through posts made by people that are unable to accept that they aren't right.

For those that read this, you don't need a 9-million-dollar bike to do what you want. These monkeys that overpaid for their hobby may think so and try to get you to follow them so that you have the most expensive things available are absolutely dumb. Not stupid. DUMB.

If you are at the absolute extreme of your hobby then possibly those components will make a difference.

In my findings, some of the cheap components I purchased fell short. Some were great. I will be buying better components based on my findings but I will never listen to aholes. Don't listen to the Compgliagiaionclitoris crowd that has bashed me and offered NO actual advice. Do your own thing.

EDIT: An example of the Compgliagiaionclitoris crowd here. In the for sale section you cannot discern what is what because all of the aholes using fancy names for their parts. Why don't you morons just say title the parts before you post them? Because you think everyone here knows what a Compgliagiaionclitoris xyz means. That is why. You will never pull in mainstream people because of your elitism.

You could just post "Bike frame - Compgliagiaionclitoris" instead of "Qsedfsdfsaedfg yghbansdbnasd".
Just because you don’t have the knowledge and experience to recognize or appreciate the difference between high-end and low-end bikes and parts doesn’t mean other folks also don’t. To some folks, the differences are worth the price.

Just because you aren’t familiar with correct bicycle parts terminology doesn’t mean everyone else needs to dumb things down to serve your ignorance. I encourage you to educate yourself.

Last edited by Eric F; 05-11-23 at 12:44 AM.
Old 05-14-23, 05:33 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
A damn fine thread, this. Gots a little bitta everything.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 05-15-23, 08:45 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
Today is my first look at this thread, lol.

The title is perfect!!!
Old 05-16-23, 07:21 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronM46
Yep, I am done.

This was a success. I will not be posting to this post again due to there being too many angry jerks that can't see beyond their insecurities. There is not much help to be had on these forums without having to sift through posts made by people that are unable to accept that they aren't right.

For those that read this, you don't need a 9-million-dollar bike to do what you want. These monkeys that overpaid for their hobby may think so and try to get you to follow them so that you have the most expensive things available are absolutely dumb. Not stupid. DUMB.

If you are at the absolute extreme of your hobby then possibly those components will make a difference.

In my findings, some of the cheap components I purchased fell short. Some were great. I will be buying better components based on my findings but I will never listen to aholes. Don't listen to the Compgliagiaionclitoris crowd that has bashed me and offered NO actual advice. Do your own thing.

EDIT: An example of the Compgliagiaionclitoris crowd here. In the for sale section you cannot discern what is what because all of the aholes using fancy names for their parts. Why don't you morons just say title the parts before you post them? Because you think everyone here knows what a Compgliagiaionclitoris xyz means. That is why. You will never pull in mainstream people because of your elitism.

You could just post "Bike frame - Compgliagiaionclitoris" instead of "Qsedfsdfsaedfg yghbansdbnasd".
I personally love your project, because I love to do the same thing. I've completely rebuilt my 12 year old low end Giant hybrid into something like a gravel bike with a 1x system, and I don't care if anyone says it's a stupid waste of money because I love that bike (and still do even though I now have a custom Ti road bike in my stable as well). It's not a waste of money if you build something you enjoy riding and working on.

Likes For The Chemist:
Old 05-16-23, 04:06 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Just because you don’t have the knowledge and experience to recognize or appreciate the difference between high-end and low-end bikes and parts doesn’t mean other folks also don’t. To some folks, the differences are worth the price.

Just because you aren’t familiar with correct bicycle parts terminology doesn’t mean everyone else needs to dumb things down to serve your ignorance. I encourage you to educate yourself.
he learned to not reply to the likes of you. .. the best lesson of all..
Old 05-16-23, 04:21 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by maddog34
he learned to not reply to the likes of you. .. the best lesson of all..
What is your issue with my comment?
Old 05-16-23, 04:52 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
What is your issue with my comment?
Exactly. Just wants to rile you up.
Old 05-16-23, 04:55 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by smd4
Exactly. Just wants to rile you up.
The wording wasn't particularly elegant. Maybe that's the issue.
Old 05-16-23, 05:09 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
The wording wasn't particularly elegant. Maybe that's the issue.
Par for the course.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-17-23, 07:19 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
Don't you dare allow anyone to steal 'dumbest bike project' from me!!! I wear that one with pride

Sounds like things got a little heated here and there, but I admire the spirit in which this build got started. Things like this can evoke a bunch of different responses. But man life is so short. I hope the build was fun and educational thus far, and sounds like you aren't done yet - the build was too short! Maybe the front fork is up next? Anyway good luck and keep learning and having fun!

Originally Posted by smd4
I love that the grumps complaining in this thread didn’t have word one to say in the Huffy with Campy parts thread. Hypocrites all of ‘em.
Right!? It's not fair...for me!

Old 05-17-23, 07:39 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Don't you dare allow anyone to steal 'dumbest bike project' from me!!! I wear that one with pride

Sounds like things got a little heated here and there, but I admire the spirit in which this build got started. Things like this can evoke a bunch of different responses. But man life is so short. I hope the build was fun and educational thus far, and sounds like you aren't done yet - the build was too short! Maybe the front fork is up next? Anyway good luck and keep learning and having fun!

Right!? It's not fair...for me!
The difference is that you have approached your project with humor, self-deprecation, acknowledgement of the ridiculousness, real knowledge about the parts you are working with, and - most importantly - humility.