Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bad info high in Google results

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bad info high in Google results

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-23, 09:54 AM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Friction shifters have more of a place than seat posts or headsets as part of a “group”.
For a "group," possibly. L'Eroica would agree, but I don't believe that's your gist. For a "groupset", it comes and goes which was the point. They are two different words with different meanings.
A crankset does include the bottom bracket. Without a bottom bracket, the crank is just a fairly boring wall hanging.
If the manufacturers, sellers, and cycling heritage don't agree, does that make you right?
Finally, the OP and yourself seem to say that Bike Gremlin should do better. Why don’t you do “better” by starting your own website. I’m sure you and the OP could bang one out in a day or two…considering his encyclopedic knowledge. Quite complaining unless you are going to do something about it.
In case you missed it, it was about sharing bad or incorrect information. One can already access definitive sources, so we don't need to do so. One is Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info, and the other is Park Tool.
Old 12-22-23, 10:59 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by kcjc
For a "group," possibly. L'Eroica would agree, but I don't believe that's your gist. For a "groupset", it comes and goes which was the point. They are two different words with different meanings.
“Group” and “groupset” have been used interchangeably for the entirety of the time I’ve been riding bikes seriously. That’s from the late 70s onward. Some companies have provided all of the components for making a frame functional, including headset, seat post, and even stem. Others have provided only the drivetrain. Still others have provided various combinations. The definition has also changed over time.

If the manufacturers, sellers, and cycling heritage don't agree, does that make you right?
Again, it varies. This groupset from State Bicycle includes the bottom bracket. Shimano for a time sold external bottom brackets with the crank. They didn’t usually sell a bottom bracket with an internal bearing crankset because the length of the spindle varied with the needs of the frame.

You, however, are missing the point. Bike Gremlin (and myself) was saying that the bottom bracket is an integral part of the crankset. Not from the standpoint of that the bottom bracket is, or should be, sold with the crank arms but from the stand point of the bottom bracket is necessary for the crankset to used on a bicycle.

​​​​​​​In case you missed it, it was about sharing bad or incorrect information. One can already access definitive sources, so we don't need to do so. One is Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Technical Info, and the other is Park Tool.
No, I didn’t miss your point. I’m saying that you and others are making mountains out of molehills. Sheldon Browns page isn’t perfect. There’s lots there to disagree with. The point is “disagreement” not that the information is bad or incorrect. The same applies to Bike Gremlin’s page. It isn’t perfect but it exists and it’s not as horrible as the OP makes it out to be. Were 6 speed cassettes made? Yes. Are they made any more? No. Are 6 and 7 speed cogs and/or spacers the same width? No. Are they damned close? I’d say 0.05mm isn’t enough to quibble about.

Again, if you can do better, do so! My career was in chemistry. If I used an old method that didn’t give reliable results, I didn’t complain to the method developer that the method should be better. Often that would be impossible because the original method was developed decades earlier. I improved it by developing a better method. If the developer of the method was still around, I’d work with them on making the method better.

Same idea applies here. Either develop a better method or work with the developer to make the product better.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-22-23, 11:07 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Some companies have provided all of the components for making a frame functional, including headset, seat post, and even stem.
Some even with a chain.
Old 12-22-23, 11:15 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Am I alone in thinking that Kontact could/should be a staff writer for Bike Gremlin to really get into the situation and use his encyclopedic knowledge to correct it?

Actually doing something to help seems like a win/win.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 12-22-23, 11:22 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by base2
Am I alone in thinking that Kontact could/should be a staff writer for Bike Gremlin to really get into the situation and use his encyclopedic knowledge to correct it?

He's too good for that.
Likes For smd4:
Old 12-22-23, 11:28 AM
kcjc

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
“Group” and “groupset” have been used interchangeably for the entirety of the time I’ve been riding bikes seriously. That’s from the late 70s onward.
You forgot the "o" as in "groupo".

You, however, are missing the point. Bike Gremlin (and myself) was saying that the bottom bracket is an integral part of the crankset. Not from the standpoint of that the bottom bracket is, or should be, sold with the crank arms but from the stand point of the bottom bracket is necessary for the crankset to used on a bicycle.
The word is called "drivetrain".

No, I didn’t miss your point. I’m saying that you and others are making mountains out of molehills. Sheldon Browns page isn’t perfect. There’s lots there to disagree with. The point is “disagreement” not that the information is bad or incorrect. The same applies to Bike Gremlin’s page. It isn’t perfect but it exists and it’s not as horrible as the OP makes it out to be. Were 6 speed cassettes made? Yes. Are they made any more? No. Are 6 and 7 speed cogs and/or spacers the same width? No. Are they damned close? I’d say 0.05mm isn’t enough to quibble about.

Again, if you can do better, do so! My career was in chemistry. If I used an old method that didn’t give reliable results, I didn’t complain to the method developer that the method should be better. Often that would be impossible because the original method was developed decades earlier. I improved it by developing a better method. If the developer of the method was still around, I’d work with them on making the method better.

Same idea applies here. Either develop a better method or work with the developer to make the product better.
Nice use of whataboutism. If you were to rename the elements, I'm positive you would be laughed out of the room.
Old 12-22-23, 11:43 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts

Jokes aside, for anyone interested, this is the BikeGremlin guest-posting policy.

Relja
Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 12-22-23, 12:15 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts

Snark aside, the honest truth is that BikeGremlin is a master at web design and search engine optimization. The best thing for him to do, is to handle the web design for the Sheldon Brown website. Right now John Allen is doing a good job with the content, but the website is maddenly and frustratingly hard to navigate. There is no need to duplicate Sheldon/John Allen's info. It just needs to be organized better.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 12-22-23, 12:35 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Snark aside, the honest truth is that BikeGremlin is a master at web design and search engine optimization. The best thing for him to do, is to handle the web design for the Sheldon Brown website. Right now John Allen is doing a good job with the content, but the website is maddenly and frustratingly hard to navigate. There is no need to duplicate Sheldon/John Allen's info. It just needs to be organized better.
I've already exchanged a few emails with the good people keeping that site alive (and still keeping it up-to-date as far as I know).

Found it - it's a bit funny, but nice, I think - sent this in 2019:

Hello,

My name is Relja Novović, from Serbia. I contacted Mr John Allen via Facebook and they recommended to email you with this, so here it is:

I think that Sheldon Brown website and should be preserved for future generation as a treasure of information (and more).
Thank you for keeping it running - it is very much appreciated (by most of the cycling community for all I know).

While I'm writing this, I'm hoping it is a waste of time and you have it all covered, but just in case:
if you need any help with website backups, hosting, security, or any other technical aspects, I'd be happy to help, whatever I can, in my own free time.

Best regards,
Relja
With Tarzan English and all. LOL

Edit:
My site's design was done by my friend Maša.
I just implemented all that she said (colours, layout, she listed how every single detail should look, with hex. colour codes since I'm awful at visuals).
BIkeGremlin website redesign story

Last edited by Bike Gremlin; 12-22-23 at 12:38 PM.
Likes For Bike Gremlin:
Old 12-23-23, 09:33 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Ok everyone, let's stay on topic.
bump
Likes For TMonk:
Old 12-23-23, 10:06 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact

Now you can say that I'm being unfair, but I have to tell you that I am also a walking encyclopedia of bike mechanic stuff -
Before this gets locked, I wasn't around here when Sheldon Brown was posting but I'd wager he didn't call himself an encyclopedia and he would not have entertained this argument that someone else's site should be shut down on his authority. There are (IMHO) some encyclopedic posters here mostly in the C&V forum that would not call themselves encyclopedias either. I think more people would agree that you should ask the mods to close this thread than those thinking this other guy should take down his site.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 12-23-23, 10:29 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Before this gets locked, I wasn't around here when Sheldon Brown was posting but I'd wager he didn't call himself an encyclopedia and he would not have entertained this argument that someone else's site should be shut down on his authority. There are (IMHO) some encyclopedic posters here mostly in the C&V forum that would not call themselves encyclopedias either. I think more people would agree that you should ask the mods to close this thread than those thinking this other guy should take down his site.
Quote me where I said he should take down his website.
Old 12-23-23, 11:07 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

To be fair, it was the fellow you started this thread about that suggested you asked for it to be taken down. And your attitude has suggested that he didn’t make that up.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 12-23-23, 11:24 AM
Kontact 

To be fair, it was the fellow you started this thread about that suggested you asked for it to be taken down. And your attitude has suggested that he didn’t make that up.
So I complain that someone posts a lot of misinformation, and then you quote that guy as evidence against me?
Old 12-23-23, 11:25 AM
smd4

So I complain that someone posts a lot of misinformation, and then you quote that guy as evidence against me?
So you admit that you’re doing nothing but complaining?
Old 12-23-23, 11:29 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

lol. I think your mom could tell you that you are her favorite and you would argue with her.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 12-23-23, 11:32 AM
Kontact 

lol. I think your mom could tell you that you are her favorite and you would argue with her.
Lol, I think you're up to the same baloney as BikeGremlin. To be fair.

Quote me or don't comment about me.
Old 12-23-23, 11:33 AM
smd4

Lol, I think you're up to the same baloney as BikeGremlin. To be fair.
He’s spot-on. To be fair.
Old 12-23-23, 11:54 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
closing for review. there may be more bickering than useful content in this thread.