Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I want to buy a really good wheel truing stand.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

I want to buy a really good wheel truing stand.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-24, 09:51 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
You might want to pick up an inexpensive dishing tool. I don’t know what they run these days. A pretty primitive tool, but does the job.

I bought a TS-2 30+ years ago from a Third Hand Catalog. Just found out there is a rebuild kit from this thread. I don’t build much, if any, these days. But I’ll use it to true and have been dinking with OLD on some bikes/hubs so it gets used for that. I do the flip/flop to center.

It is a bit ironic with better rims, disc brakes, and 32mm 80psi tires that absolute precision is even a topic. Not that I don’t obsess with it myself, but compared to old rim brake rims and 125psi 20mm tires, I would think the margin for discernible truing perfection is probably a bit wider these days.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 01-19-24, 01:44 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
You might want to pick up an inexpensive dishing tool. I don’t know what they run these days. A pretty primitive tool, but does the job.

I bought a TS-2 30+ years ago from a Third Hand Catalog. Just found out there is a rebuild kit from this thread. I don’t build much, if any, these days. But I’ll use it to true and have been dinking with OLD on some bikes/hubs so it gets used for that. I do the flip/flop to center.

It is a bit ironic with better rims, disc brakes, and 32mm 80psi tires that absolute precision is even a topic. Not that I don’t obsess with it myself, but compared to old rim brake rims and 125psi 20mm tires, I would think the margin for discernible truing perfection is probably a bit wider these days.

John
Thanks John, I have the Bikehand Centering Tool on the way. Do I still need a dishing tool? I mean if the wheel is centered in the stand wont it be equal with a dishing tool gage?
Old 01-19-24, 08:55 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Originally Posted by BikePower
Thanks John, I have the Bikehand Centering Tool on the way. Do I still need a dishing tool? I mean if the wheel is centered in the stand wont it be equal with a dishing tool gage?
If I am building a wheel, or doing a major re-work like replacing nipples, I like using a dishing tool.

I find the centering on stands, even when my Park was new to be less precise. As you go down the quality food chain of truing stands I would think a dishing tool becomes more valuable.

If I’m just truing a wheel, it is not that important to check the dish separately. I will flip-flop the wheel in the stand.

John
Old 01-20-24, 12:20 AM
BikePower
Time Traveler

If I am building a wheel, or doing a major re-work like replacing nipples, I like using a dishing tool.

I find the centering on stands, even when my Park was new to be less precise. As you go down the quality food chain of truing stands I would think a dishing tool becomes more valuable.

If I’m just truing a wheel, it is not that important to check the dish separately. I will flip-flop the wheel in the stand.

John
Thats unfortunate because the reason I bought this type of stand was so I wouldnt have to flip flop the wheel. If I would have known this I could have bought the cheaper kind.
Old 01-20-24, 07:53 AM
jzr756

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
Find a good used TS2 on eboy for under 200 buck. be prepared to put the rebuild kit into it.

Or get a PK Lie stand, it will cut your building time by 30-40 % and better result

/markp
Wow! Talk about extreme accuracy. Simultaneous lateral/radial runout pretty cool. Although seems, Life line Pro's 115.00 truing stand would suit my own purposes just fine.. This topic brings back to mind .an instant dropping off a rim for truing at my local bike shop . I returned, guy handed back the wheel saying, that's the best he could do, rim was defective, but it's good enough to ride on. I asked did you use a truing stand ? said the rim didn't it. charged 30.00. needless, to say I never returned to that dive.I think pretty good justification springing for the cost of your own stand. Suddenly, 115.00 turns out to be a real bargain. for my own. OP's looking for higher quality. I get it.

Last edited by jzr756; 01-20-24 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-20-24, 09:15 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 385 Posts
Even with a shop quality park stand, a dish gauge is still useful because trying stands don’t tend to stay perfectly centered over time.
Old 01-20-24, 09:38 AM
70sSanO

Thats unfortunate because the reason I bought this type of stand was so I wouldnt have to flip flop the wheel. If I would have known this I could have bought the cheaper kind.
Then don’t flip it or check the dish.

In all honesty, a wheel doesn’t have to be perfectly aligned/centered in a frame. And I imagine a lot of frames are not perfect but the out of tolerance is negligible.

For me, personally, if I’ve spent some time on a wheel, flipping, or checking the dish takes little time.

By the same token, I’ve used a brake pad to do a slight tweak if I already have the bike on the work stand; and I’m too lazy to pull the wheel and set up the truing stand.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 01-20-24 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-20-24, 02:41 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Then don’t flip it or check the dish.

In all honesty, a wheel doesn’t have to be perfectly aligned/centered in a frame. And I imagine a lot of frames are not perfect but the out of tolerance is negligible.

For me, personally, if I’ve spent some time on a wheel, flipping, or checking the dish takes little time.

By the same token, I’ve used a brake pad to do a slight tweak if I already have the bike on the work stand; and I’m too lazy to pull the wheel and set up the truing stand.

John
have you ever trued a wheel in a stand with a caliper like the biikehand one and then checked it with a dishing tool and it was off? I mean if you center the stand before truing a wheel, it should have 0 dish. I dont see how it couldnt. Anyway, they are sold out of the dishing gages (bikehand). I understand it doesnt have to be bikehand, heck I could probably make one. Im looking for laser straight wheels, smooth silent riding and optimum braking. What about tension gages? Thanks for your input John.
Old 01-20-24, 03:26 PM
70sSanO

The BikeHand stand is a clone of my old Park. And I have had my Park stand be off when I checked with a dishing tool. I have adjusted my Park over the years.

To be honest, the first time working on a wheel/wheelset I bought or came with the bike, I’ll use a dishing tool to see how the dish is before I put it in the stand. It is just something I’ll do that fits into a measure twice true once mentality.

But after that I might not, or flip-flop before I start. I’ll sometimes just true; especially if the wheel looked centered on the bike.

But if I pull a wheel and put it in a stand, it is usually because I don’t like something; or I just re-packed the bearings, or replaced a cassette and might as well check it at the same time.

I guess it really comes down to taking an extra step if it will keep me from re-doing something.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 01-20-24 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-20-24, 04:15 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 234 Posts
have you ever trued a wheel in a stand with a caliper like the biikehand one and then checked it with a dishing tool and it was off? I mean if you center the stand before truing a wheel, it should have 0 dish. I dont see how it couldnt. Anyway, they are sold out of the dishing gages (bikehand). I understand it doesnt have to be bikehand, heck I could probably make one. Im looking for laser straight wheels, smooth silent riding and optimum braking. What about tension gages? Thanks for your input John.
You may be asking for a little too much of bike wheel. Even with high quality parts, there are limits. It may not be reasonable to expect perfectly straight, round and exactly even tension.

It's a bike wheel, not a part that is spinning at 1,000+ RPM that needs to have virtually no tolerance.

Build it the best you can, within the limits of the components.
Likes For KCT1986:
Old 01-23-24, 01:17 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Well to my surprise this stand can true my 700c wheels with the tires on. Maybe i have the new model because my understanding is that tires needed to be off for that size. Ive got model yx-512NB".

Old 01-24-24, 05:56 PM
70sSanO

My old Park trues with tires on for lateral work.

Radial would be tough.

John
Likes For 70sSanO: