Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Looking for options to replace 3-speed internal gear hub with 7+ speed gear hub

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-15, 10:48 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts

I have an 80's Gazelle bike which I reactivated last year to use as a grocery getter. However I don't drive it that often because it only has a 3-speed internal gear hub. I would like to replace the the 3-speed hub with something like 7 or more gears. But I don't want to spend an arm and a leg either.
What are the best options? Replace the hub in the existing wheel? Or get a complete new wheel? And how much would it cost?
I think a derailer won't work because the frame is not set up for it and the bike has the full enclosed chain guard which would not allow to use one either. Wheels are 700C (28").
Any ideas are appreciated.
Old 06-22-15, 10:53 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Honestly, I'd suggest looking for a whole different bike.

You can almost never change just one part on a bike. Everything works together so, when you change one part, you almost always have to change something else to make it work.
Old 06-22-15, 10:59 AM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
First of all, why do you need more gears? Is the current gearing too tall (hard to climb hills) or too short (not fast enough on the level/downhill) or both?

Second what is your budget?

Third what is the frame spacing where the hub mounts?

The cost of internal gear hubs is related to the number of gears.

If your gearing too short or too tall, and you can change the sprocket on the hub or the chain ring (might require a complete crankset change) to alter.

The SA 5 speed hub is the next step in cost from a 3 speed, and available in a variety of O.L.D. (OverLocknutDimension = frame spacing). In the USA you are looking at $125- to $200- for a full kit for a 5 speed hub, which then you need to add rim, spokes and build. The SA 5 speed has a shorter and taller gear than the 3 speed, the three middle ratios are the same as the 3 speed hub.
Old 06-22-15, 11:04 AM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I opted for a SA 5 speed hub, but wish I went with a 3 speed. The only time I use gears one and five is when I have a whim to see if they still work. If you really want to switch, keep in mind that your frame will need its dropouts spread to accommodate the wider 7 sp hub.
Old 06-22-15, 12:03 PM
Chesterton

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Sports, Cycles Toussaint Velo Routier, Yuba Mundo, Raleigh Sports (1970)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I would look towards changing the gearing before increasing the number of gears. A 7-speed hub doesn't necessarily have that much wider a range than a 3-speed hub, but you just end up shifting more often. The enclosed chain case may make it difficult to fit a new hub, depending on the spacing of the sprocket and other hub parts. And as mentioned, the rear triangle may need to be spread.

I would think first about changing the sprocket size. That can be done for less than $20 and might fix most of the perceived problem with the bike. Anything that involves rebuilding the wheel around a new hub is going to be about ten times as expensive.
Old 06-22-15, 04:43 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Thanks everyone for the enlightening. I was not aware that 5 or 7 speed hubs are much wider and may not fit. That would probably be a problem. The reason I wanted more gears was to have smaller "steps" between gears and not necessarily a wider range. I guess I just have to get used to only having 3 gears on that bike. I need to drive it again and see if I would need another sprocket. But I don't think so.
Old 06-22-15, 05:16 PM
Mickey2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had 7, 9 and 3 speed hubs, the 7 and 9 offers a lot more range than the 3 speeds. That said, you get used to 3, but sometimes you just need more, it depends upon how steep hills you have near you. I've pedalled up mountains on 28" wheels and a Nexus 7 and I was all happy with the gearing. Those 700C rims are still standard and come with the latest model gear hubs. If you have your wheel rebuilt (Gazelle somtimes have nice chromed rims, you might wish to keep them) are usually the hub, cables, shifter and the small fasteners for the cable. As long as the hub will fit the frame there should not be a big problem. If you can do the job your self, or at least some of it, it will cost less, but it's hard to get anything done with out spending money. As long as the bike is in reasonably good condition, you like the bike and frame, it suits you, it's worth the alterations. You can compare to what a new bike of the same quality will cost you, and what the improvements a brand new 2015 Gazelle might offer. Gazelle has made anything from the heaviest steel tubes, to Reynolds 531 tubes, and aluminum, and they are best known for the classic frames and citybikes. It will easily cost 1/3 to 1/2 as much as a new bike even just as much as a cheap bike. For it to be worth it you have to like the bike in the first place, and not really prefer something in stead. If you really can't spend much right now, I would stick with the 3 speed hub, oil it and perhaps get a more suitable sprocket for the rear hub. Maybe a suitable wheel from another bike will turn up, grab the chance if it does though.
Old 06-23-15, 03:55 PM
Harhir

Thanks Mickey2. Looking at the cost of these hubs I probably ditch that idea since I will never ride the bike that often to justify that expense. Plus it may not fit after all. And yes this is one of these all steel Gazelle bikes. This bike is really heavy. Frame, fenders, rack all made of steel. This is actually my wife's old bike but she stopped using it because it was too heavy for her.
But the bike is in good shape. Lots of scratches but solid it provides a decent upright riding position for a tall guy like me.
I keep my eyes out on craigslist for used bikes and maybe one pops up where I could use the whole wheel.
Old 06-23-15, 04:58 PM
Mickey2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Heavy steel frames isn't all that bad for the short errands and a bit of light riding. It depens upon your use, and if speed isn't the most important aspect the old bike will service you your wife fine. If you are set on a 7 or more gear hub, just measure the axle of the rear hub, it's the space between the dropouts in the frame that matters, and it can usuaslly be adjusted a bit (bending the frame, or if it flexes enough to allow for a wider axle. It's not only a light frame that makes a bike, as the the years have gone by it probably needs a bit of work and fine tuning every where; it will make all the difference! If it has scrates and doesn't look too new, its less likely to get stolen, a major advantage in some areas.

Oil/grease hubs, if there's a toggle chain on the side of the rear hub you can squirt some oil in there; be careful if it has integrated drum brakes, coaster brake or no brake are not any problem. Check the chain, if the bike has had a lot of use and wear just get a new single speed chain. It might look fine, but it causes a lot of trouble and unpleasantness if it's too worn. Oil pedals, chain and cables, it can take a bit of time and effort to get oil into all the places it should be.

It's worth taking it in to a bike repair shop. Tightening spokes, care of rims, and similar are a bit too much for DIY if you aren't particuarly interested. Tightening crank and bottom bracket is probably needed too, and perhaps tighten and greasing the fork/headset. It's all part of the upkeep expected to be done on any bike. Gaselle bikes with hub gears and hub brakes are very low maintanance though with very few wear parts to replace. With a full service the difference will be like the bike has had a major weight loss ;- )

Last edited by Mickey2; 06-23-15 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-25-15, 10:34 AM
Harhir

My wife did not have a problem with the weight while riding but it was about lifting this bike on the bike carrier at the back of the car. Normally I do it but she wanted to have a bike she can easily lift back up there when she is on her own. I never weighed it but this iron hog is really heavy. I guess around 60 lbs or more. I know some of the old European models weighed all the way up to 30 kg (around 65 lb). But it also is very sturdy.
I will give it some tuning in the next weeks or months when I have the time.

Last edited by Harhir; 06-25-15 at 10:39 AM.