Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Paint removal for welding

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Paint removal for welding

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-23, 05:35 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Can't speak for aluminium but I've done the same repair on steel (Tange Champion) with TIG and a gusset.

Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-02-23, 05:42 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Interesting your using Stycast 2850?
I used to use it years ago for encapsulating electronic parts in optical oceanographic instruments I built.
It was a highly thermo-conductive insulating epoxy we used because we wanted the electronics to respond quickly to temperature changes as they were being lowered to depth.
It basically, for lack of a better term, has lots of ground glass in it.
I'd find it difficult to believe that there aren't "stronger" products out there.
off topic but back in the day of when I did Oceanographic research for the Coast Guard (Marine Science Technician first class) we used to put the electrical connection to a Salinity Temp Depth (STD) sensor in a film canister and fill it with epoxy to seal, (we also had Nansen bottles with the cool flip and save the temperature thermometers to do controls samples)

Old 05-02-23, 05:45 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Did you use the black stuff? The blue stuff 2850ft bl is for electrical insulation and I was hoping that the black stuff would be slightly stronger.

I chose it because it looked like the strongest stuff I had lying around.

the epoxy is a class two reproductive hazard, since we are bringing Darwin into this
you know that epoxy is not monolithic, Epoxy glue is not the same as epoxy resin you use to laminate with fiberglass or resin

yet another pointer to this not being a repair, but an illusion

Old 05-02-23, 05:55 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
off topic but back in the day of when I did Oceanographic research for the Coast Guard (Marine Science Technician first class) we used to put the electrical connection to a Salinity Temp Depth (STD) sensor in a film canister and fill it with epoxy to seal, (we also had Nansen bottles with the cool flip and save the temperature thermometers to do controls samples)
That's CTD.
Conductivity (which pretty much is salinity) Temperature & Depth.
Maybe you used one of my transmissometers?
Old 05-02-23, 06:11 PM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
That's CTD.
Conductivity (which pretty much is salinity) Temperature & Depth.
Maybe you used one of my transmissometers?
forgot the brand it was pretty much a steel cylinder, with a protective cage around the sensors on the botttom.

but this was 75 thru 76 on the USCG Evergreen which as designated as WAGO for oceanographic. we did most of our work off of newfoundland for ice berg drift predictions. worked with UW and Woodshole

Old 05-02-23, 06:12 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Most of what Larry writes suggest it, but if this phrase doesn’t indicate chain-yanking, I don’t know what does.
As I've been reading this thread, this* gets the "What the AF?" prize.
(* the remark about the included zip ties)
The more I read, the more I wonder if Larry isn't trolling everyone...

Last edited by sweeks; 05-02-23 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-02-23, 06:16 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
forgot the brand it was pretty much a steel cylinder, with a protective cage around the sensors on the botttom.

but this was 75 thru 76 on the USCG Evergreen which as designated as WAGO for oceanographic. we did most of our work off of newfoundland for ice berg drift predictions. worked with UW and Woodshole
Probably Aanderaa or Sea Bird? This appears to be a later version AAnderaa.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 05-02-23 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-02-23, 06:43 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
I was thinking tonight. If Larry has a TJ Maxx, or better yet a Ross near by, he can get some of their price stickers and put over the repair. Those things don't come off of anything.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-03-23, 07:07 AM
djsincity2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Bill Kapaun You are much better off scrapping the frame. Also think about safety. You don't want that frame to completely break on you in the middle of a ride.
Old 05-03-23, 09:48 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Koyote this is/was a fancy road racing bike, not a clunker. I only got one layer of cloth and there was so much epoxy I don’t think I got a nice clean wrap, but what’s done is done. The “wiping” I did was of the epoxy that got on the drivechain

as long as this joint fails before another weld I’m happy, I don’t think it will make me crash when it fails. Other welds, yeah can’t say that. So I guess in a since it’s good that the repair isn’t super robust, since it’s hard to say how much I’ve damaged the other welds in the 15 or so miles I’ve ridden it like this.

and yes there are 2 zip ties under the glue which are going to be structural/permanent, they are fancy weather/UV resistant ones. Or atleast I think they are
Gross misuse of the adjective "fancy" and neither the adjective nor its misuse imparts any additional structural integrity.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 05-03-23, 09:58 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Gross misuse of the adjective "fancy" and neither the adjective nor its misuse imparts any additional structural integrity.
Maybe he really meant "fancy-schmancy?"
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-03-23, 01:41 PM
ign1te

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 34 Posts
Obvious troll post. Surprise so many got duped.
Old 05-03-23, 01:45 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Has a productive conversation with an engineer who happens to be a bicycle nerd. He explained to me how with this failure the bicycle frame is now a parallelogram, and the integrity of the other welds are now called into question. The next one to fail is likely where the downtube meets the forks (I think that’s what he said) and it will happen when I grab a handful of the front brake in an emergency, and my face will slam into the ground.

that being said, I got on the bike today. There was an initial creek, which was honestly concerning, and now it’s riding silently. I really hope this joint fails again before another fails, I think that’s the biggest worry now. Kind of glad I did a hack job on this repair, might be safer this way. It’s like a fuse or pressure relief valve now.

I found this bicycle abandoned and like the look of the frame. It’s pretty heavy though. This is what I have in mind to put the components of the race bike on. Need to bite the bullet and buy the tools and start trying to put it together.

what kind of stuff should I be looking up in terms of choosing a compatible frame for the components on the epoxied bike? Should I just buy the tools to take everything off, try to put it all back on the Japanese bike, and see if something doesn’t fit and go from there?
Old 05-03-23, 01:54 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by ign1te
Obvious troll post. Surprise so many got duped.
what are you suggesting, that I faked the pictures or the repair?
Old 05-03-23, 02:04 PM
smd4

I don't think even faked photos would look that...good.
Old 05-03-23, 02:09 PM
squirtdad

Has a productive conversation with an engineer who happens to be a bicycle nerd. He explained to me how with this failure the bicycle frame is now a parallelogram, and the integrity of the other welds are now called into question. The next one to fail is likely where the downtube meets the forks (I think that’s what he said) and it will happen when I grab a handful of the front brake in an emergency, and my face will slam into the ground.

that being said, I got on the bike today. There was an initial creek, which was honestly concerning, and now it’s riding silently. I really hope this joint fails again before another fails, I think that’s the biggest worry now. Kind of glad I did a hack job on this repair, might be safer this way. It’s like a fuse or pressure relief valve now.

I found this bicycle abandoned and like the look of the frame. It’s pretty heavy though. This is what I have in mind to put the components of the race bike on. Need to bite the bullet and buy the tools and start trying to put it together.

what kind of stuff should I be looking up in terms of choosing a compatible frame for the components on the epoxied bike? Should I just buy the tools to take everything off, try to put it all back on the Japanese bike, and see if something doesn’t fit and go from there?
late 70's early 80's nishki...hard to tell model. good quality frame, likely double butted cro mo tubing. frame likely made by miyata

by any chance does the blue/white bike shop label say "the off ramp"

it would be english bottom bracket
you would need a claw derailler or claw derailler adapter https://www.performancebike.com/sunr...BoCzsMQAvD_BwE

the rear is 126 mm so you need to check your wheels or current bike to see if they are 126 or 130. you can stuff a 130 into 126 steel frame, but results can vary, cold setting frame to 130 better

all do able, but take some detail knowledge and planning, not just jump in and see what happens

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-03-23, 02:43 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
late 70's early 80's nishki...hard to tell model. good quality frame, likely double butted cro mo tubing. frame likely made by miyata

by any chance does the blue/white bike shop label say "the off ramp"

it would be english bottom bracket
you would need a claw derailler or claw derailler adapter https://www.performancebike.com/sunr...BoCzsMQAvD_BwE

the rear is 126 mm so you need to check your wheels or current bike to see if they are 126 or 130. you can stuff a 130 into 126 steel frame, but results can vary, cold setting frame to 130 better

all do able, but take some detail knowledge and planning, not just jump in and see what happens
Heabadge tells me early '70s. There are folks in the C&V section that could probably pinpoint it closer. I agree 100% that it's do-able, but it probably won't be simple. I expect there will be some old vs. new computability issues that will make certain parts of it more challenging to swap parts from the broken (newer) bike to this one. I would also expect some moments of real frustration. It looks like the rear derailleur hanger is missing. It's very possible i was hacked off to make give it a cleaner appearance for a single-speed setup. This can be dealt with, but it's just one of the hurdle that will have to be crossed. There may also be a 27" vs 700c wheel size challenge. Challenges mean money will probably need to be spent.
Old 05-03-23, 02:55 PM
squirtdad

Originally Posted by Eric F
Heabadge tells me early '70s. There are folks in the C&V section that could probably pinpoint it closer. I agree 100% that it's do-able, but it probably won't be simple. I expect there will be some old vs. new computability issues that will make certain parts of it more challenging to swap parts from the broken (newer) bike to this one. I would also expect some moments of real frustration. It looks like the rear derailleur hanger is missing. It's very possible i was hacked off to make give it a cleaner appearance for a single-speed setup. This can be dealt with, but it's just one of the hurdle that will have to be crossed. There may also be a 27" vs 700c wheel size challenge. Challenges mean money will probably need to be spent.
headbadge did not change a lot very similar to the 82 i had., concur more likely early 70's
I would bet it did not have a derailler hanger, but a claw derailler.... (had a 71 or so Azuki that was set up like that and had the diacomp center pull)
forgot about 700 / 27 wheel difference.

doable, but I am looking at it from having done this before and have the tools so to reassess would be challenge for someone who has not

newer frame would be lots easier

Old 05-03-23, 03:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

headbadge did not change a lot very similar to the 82 i had., concur more likely early 70's
I would bet it did not have a derailler hanger, but a claw derailler.... (had a 71 or so Azuki that was set up like that and had the diacomp center pull)
forgot about 700 / 27 wheel difference.

doable, but I am looking at it from having done this before and have the tools so to reassess would be challenge for someone who has not

newer frame would be lots easier
Ahh...I was under the impression that headbadge had faded out earlier. I'm probably wrong. My '77 Nishiki ONP had/has a decal, not a badge. You're probably right about the claw rear derailleur. That would make sense for a non-racy frame like the one in the pics. Even as someone with tools and experience, I ran into some surprises when rebuilding my '77 with era-correct parts. Using newer-gen parts opens up other cans of worms, including things like possible incompatible BB spindle tapers. It would be a learning experience, for sure.
Old 05-04-23, 12:08 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
No one doubts the pictures are real.

The "repair" however.....
Old 05-04-23, 02:47 PM
LarrySellerz

I think the repair failed, is better than the zip tie array but the epoxy cracked and the rest of the frame is probably being stressed on every stroke now. I can feel the flex.
Old 05-04-23, 02:51 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I think the repair failed, is better than the zip tie array but the epoxy cracked and the rest of the frame is probably being stressed on every stroke now. I can feel the flex.
Surprise Level: Zero

Time for a new frame.
Old 05-04-23, 04:44 PM
LarrySellerz

Yeah not surprised, atleast I didn’t waste the time welding it and then trying to get set up for heat treating aluminum.
Old 05-04-23, 04:47 PM
smd4

Yeah not surprised, atleast I didn’t waste the time...
Except for two days, no time wasted at all.
Old 05-04-23, 05:17 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
Don't give up so easily. I'm confident in your skillz. Find a good 10%+ descent, maybe some rumble strips at the bottom and let 'er rip!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.