Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to wrench like a pro - tell us what you know!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-23, 07:50 PM
robalong
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts

hn3ue3fuijewdfc

Last edited by robalong; 05-16-23 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-14-23, 08:03 PM
robalong
Banned

qoierfuioesjdvc

Last edited by robalong; 05-16-23 at 11:40 AM. Reason: add info
Old 05-14-23, 08:07 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
some threads may have a compound in them, or the nut is "oval' to be self locking. Those instances may require extra leverage that the fingers dont directly have..
Old 05-14-23, 08:21 PM
robalong
Banned

qeroifhs

Last edited by robalong; 05-16-23 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-14-23, 08:29 PM
robalong
Banned

qeriufheqkjfc

Last edited by robalong; 05-16-23 at 11:40 AM. Reason: two slight changes in wording
Old 05-14-23, 08:47 PM
robalong
Banned

weruiofjk

Last edited by robalong; 05-16-23 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-14-23, 09:14 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
When you work on stuff like this in the rust belt

You need stuff like this. Can't be tight if it's liquid.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-14-23, 09:16 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
To save money for the shop (time is money), pre-stretch the brake and derailleur cables and check the tension of the spokes and adjust if necessary, then true. Fifteen minutes up front saves an hour when they bring it in for a tune-up.
Old 05-14-23, 10:07 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by robalong
After so many years of turning nuts, I have a good success rate. How so? I remember the early days, when a rusted nut would beat me, and bring the work to a halt.

I'll start with this:

I still don't understand how this works, I just know that it does. Sometimes, a nut can be removed with fingers once the torque is released. But it's commonplace to have to use a wrench all the way if rust and gunge need to be overcome.

So ... half a turn backwards (release), a full turn forwards (tightening). Half a turn back, a full turn forwards, until the nut is off. Instead of powering on in one direction (release).

Explanation of why/how this makes it much easier to remove a stubborn nut will be most welcome. It helps to attack the visible thread with a wire brush, and to dab a spot of oil on it before starting to wrench.
Corrosion is the process of making a metal into an oxide. The oxide has a different crystalline structure to the crystalline structure of the metal as well as an increased volume. Iron oxide has a lower density than iron but the process that forms it results in an open structure with pores and air pockets. Moving the bolt back and forth grinds that rust into finer particles by getting rid of the pores. Penetrating oil makes the grinding process a bit easier as well as allowing uncorroded material to slip easier against other metal that hasn’t been corroded.

Greasing bolts before installation provides a barrier against water infiltration which reduces the chance of oxidation.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-14-23, 10:22 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by drlogik
To save money for the shop (time is money), pre-stretch the brake and derailleur cables and check the tension of the spokes and adjust if necessary, then true. Fifteen minutes up front saves an hour when they bring it in for a tune-up.
Although derailer and brake cables are “pre-stretched”, there is still some construction stretch left in the cable. It’s around 0.5 to 1% . That may not seem like much but on a 2300mm cable, that can be 10 to 20mm of stretch. When I install derailer cables, I shift gears several times without moving the derailer then I reachor the cable and do it again as many times as necessary to get the cable so that it doesn’t stretch anymore.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-15-23, 01:45 AM
robalong
Banned

oiuje24rfd

Last edited by robalong; 05-16-23 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-15-23, 03:06 AM
robalong
Banned

Wrenching - some tips for beginners

ionreiofk

Last edited by robalong; 05-16-23 at 11:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-15-23, 05:17 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
I dont 'exercise' a cable thats newly threaded thru a brifter. the act of proactively working out cable stretch expedites the infamous cable fray. Simpler to just use the barrel when lazy shifting occurs.
Old 05-15-23, 07:55 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Never, ever use tire levers to install a tire.

Cut brake cable housing as short as possible--no loops, thank you very much.

After applying oil to a chain and pedaling/shifting it a few times--WIPE IT ALL OFF!

Never patch a tube--it's a waste of time. Just buy a new one.

Turn all cable adjusters in before installing new cables.

Tape bars from the bottom to the top.

Use a bike stand.

Use the right tool for the job.

When the bike is in the stand, turn the pedals by with your right hand and manually attempt to push the rear derailleur into the spokes with your left hand to check the limit screw adjustment.

When checking headset tightness, don't squeeze both brake levers when rocking the bike back and forth. Just squeeze the front one.
Old 05-15-23, 07:58 AM
robalong
Banned

uiefiudj

Last edited by robalong; 05-16-23 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-15-23, 08:02 AM
robalong
Banned

iujeref

Last edited by robalong; 05-16-23 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-15-23, 08:27 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by smd4
Cut brake cable housing as short as possible--no loops, thank you very much.
But not too short. You want enough cable to grab when you need to adjust for cable stretch. 1/2” of cable is too little. 2” to 3” is just about right. But, yes, no loops.

After applying oil to a chain and pedaling/shifting it a few times--WIPE IT ALL OFF!
It won’t matter. Oil is fluid and flows under gravity. Let it stand for a little while and the oil will flow out of the chain. Turn the chain over by, for example, moving the chain 180°, and the oil will flow back down into the chain and, eventually, out again. Wiping it off constantly is simple removing the oil from the chain.

​​​​​​​Never patch a tube--it's a waste of time. Just buy a new one.
It’s only a waste of time if you are using the wrong patch kit. There are thousands of wrong patch kits and only a very few (possibly only one) that actually work. If you use a Rema TipTop kit with Rema patches and Rema vulcanizing fluid, patching isn’t a waste of time. It’s also not nearly the waste of money and rubber that constantly replacing a tube is.

Carry both a tube and a patch kit on the road. Fix the tube when you get home.

​​​​​​​Turn all cable adjusters in before installing new cables.
But not all the way. Having a little adjustment in both ways can be helpful.

​​​​​​​When the bike is in the stand, turn the pedals by with your right hand and manually attempt to push the rear derailleur into the spokes with your left hand to check the limit screw adjustment.
Or just use the shift lever. If there is any movement of the derailer past the lowest gear, adjust the limit screws.

And, as I stated in another thread, once adjusted leave the damned limit screws alone!!! Any problems with shifting has nothing…not one thing…nada…zip…zilch…to do with the limit screws after they have been adjusted.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-15-23, 08:40 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by robalong
Wonderful insights! Thanks a lot for them. I'm with you on not patching tubes. A hit and miss affair, in my experience. No bubbles in the water after patching ... two days later, flat again. Far too often.
First…yet again…use the proper patch. In my experience the only one that actually uses chemistry to make new rubber bonds is Rema. Everything else is a poor imitation that uses rubber cement. Rema uses a chemical in the patch and chemicals in the vulcanizing fluid that actually react and does more than just make a poor physical bond that rubber cement does. Second, do not fill the tube to check the patch…at least for a while. Filling the tube immediately after patching…even with the Rema…will pull the patch away from the tube and make for gaps. It won’t make much difference with rubber cement patching but with Rema, a couple of days of curing will ensure that the patch doesn’t pull up.

Patching is not only economical, it is environmentally friendly. Rubber isn’t something that can usually be recycled so just throwing it away after one use is just adding to landfills. Granted, it’s not much but it’s still wasteful. On the economical side, I have tubes with 25+ patches on them…I live in goathead country. At $3 each but usually closer to $8 each, that’s from $75 to $200 worth of single tube use. I can buy patches and fluid in bulk for about $0.25 patch job or about the same cost as a single tube.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 05-15-23, 08:49 AM
robalong
Banned

iuedsuij

Last edited by robalong; 05-16-23 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-15-23, 08:50 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by cyccommute
But not too short. You want enough cable to grab when you need to adjust for cable stretch. 1/2” of cable is too little. 2” to 3” is just about right.
I said HOUSING.

It won’t matter. Oil is fluid and flows under gravity. Let it stand for a little while and the oil will flow out of the chain. Turn the chain over by, for example, moving the chain 180°, and the oil will flow back down into the chain and, eventually, out again. Wiping it off constantly is simple removing the oil from the chain.
I guess in your experience. My chain is perfectly clean AND oiled. And there is no oil on the outside.

It’s only a waste of time if you are using the wrong patch kit. There are thousands of wrong patch kits and only a very few (possibly only one) that actually work. If you use a Rema TipTop kit with Rema patches and Rema vulcanizing fluid, patching isn’t a waste of time. It’s also not nearly the waste of money and rubber that constantly replacing a tube is.
Nope. Waste of time.

But not all the way. Having a little adjustment in both ways can be helpful.
Um...no. With new cables, all the way in. YMMV.

Or just use the shift lever.
Nope. Maybe for amateurs. Manually push it if you want to be sure it won't go into the spokes. It's easy. You should try it sometime at the coop.

And, as I stated in another thread, once adjusted leave the damned limit screws alone!!! Any problems with shifting has nothing…not one thing…nada…zip…zilch…to do with the limit screws after they have been adjusted.
Yeah, we get it. Good advice for noobs.
Old 05-15-23, 08:51 AM
robalong
Banned

The 'bit box' ... a great friend in desperate times!

iuhefuiovnxjkmedfdfvchijndafskjfhvjnadjksfbnvcjkmx

Likes For robalong:
Old 05-15-23, 09:04 AM
robalong
Banned

Removing as freewheel cogset for cleaning and greasing

eqskimdv

Old 05-15-23, 09:30 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by smd4
I said HOUSING.
Okay, my mistake. But I would still not cut the cable housing too short. If the cable from the shifter to the frame stops on the front is too short, the bike can’t turn properly. If the cable housing on the rear derailer is too tight, the derailer won’t work properly and/or you’ll kink the cable. And, if you have a dual suspension bike with under the bottom bracket routing, a short cable housing will cause shifting problems as the suspension moves. In other words, the housing has to be the right length.

I guess in your experience. My chain is perfectly clean AND oiled. And there is no oil on the outside.
And how often do you have to wipe your chain? Only after application or after each ride? Every oil user that I’ve run across talk ad infinitum about wiping down the chain after ever ride.

By the way, that’s not “my experience”. That’s how oil works. That’s how fluids work. They flow under gravity. It’s not something you can stop unless you cool the fluid to the point where it becomes a solid.

​​​​​​​Nope. Waste of time.
Throwing a tube away after a single puncture is a waste of money and resources.

​​​​​​​Um...no. With new cables, all the way in. YMMV.
Um…yes. Having a little bit of adjustment in both directions comes in handy down the road. It may not be needed all the time but it’s nice to have.

​​​​​​​Nope. Maybe for amateurs. Manually push it if you want to be sure it won't go into the spokes. It's easy. You should try it sometime at the coop.
How about a bit of respect. I didn’t call you an amateur. On the stand, you can easily shift an untuned derailer so that the derailer doesn’t go into the spokes. Once into the low gear, stop pedaling! Then move the shift lever (again without pedaling) and see if the rear derailer moves. No risk of sending the chain into the spokes because the chain isn’t moving. The small amount of movement using the cable is also easier to see how much the derailer is off than moving it by hand. You are going to have to test the limits during a shift anyway, so why not begin there?

​​​​​​​Yeah, we get it. Good advice for noobs.
And, yet, I see so many people who start with limit screws to try to “fix” shifting.

Old 05-15-23, 09:44 AM
smd4

Okay, my mistake. But I would still not cut the cable housing too short. If the cable from the shifter to the frame stops on the front is too short, the bike can’t turn properly. If the cable housing on the rear derailer is too tight, the derailer won’t work properly and/or you’ll kink the cable. And, if you have a dual suspension bike with under the bottom bracket routing, a short cable housing will cause shifting problems as the suspension moves. In other words, the housing has to be the right length.
I wrote "as short as possible." Is it really necessary to comment on this over and over again, reiterating my point?

And how often do you have to wipe your chain? Only after application or after each ride? Every oil user that I’ve run across talk ad infinitum about wiping down the chain after ever ride.
just after application. Most of the "oil users" you've run across probably have no idea on how to properly lube a chain.

Throwing a tube away after a single puncture is a waste of money and resources.
This thread is about "wrenching like a pro." Working as a pro mechanic in several shops, we would never, ever even attempt to patch a tube. That would be a colossal waste of time, money and resources.

Um…yes. Having a little bit of adjustment in both directions comes in handy down the road. It may not be needed all the time but it’s nice to have.
Um...still no.

How about a bit of respect. I didn’t call you an amateur. On the stand, you can easily shift an untuned derailer so that the derailer doesn’t go into the spokes. Once into the low gear, stop pedaling! Then move the shift lever (again without pedaling) and see if the rear derailer moves. No risk of sending the chain into the spokes because the chain isn’t moving. The small amount of movement using the cable is also easier to see how much the derailer is off than moving it by hand. You are going to have to test the limits during a shift anyway, so why not begin there?
Oh, I respect you. Maybe not enough to allow you work on my bike. And I didn't call you an amateur. I said an amateur might do it your way. But anyway, my way is the better method.

Last edited by smd4; 05-15-23 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-15-23, 10:14 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
The comments about stuck hex nuts got me thinking...I can't remember the last time I turned a hex nut on one of my bikes. On my 3 most current bikes, I don't think there is a single fastener that is a hex nut. Everything is Allen or Torx.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.