Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

The Arithmetic of Hydroplaning a Bicycle ( per NASA )

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

The Arithmetic of Hydroplaning a Bicycle ( per NASA )

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-23, 01:55 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
To cross that lake on a bicycle you'd need a fatbike and you'd need to steadily apply about 15,000 watts by my estimation.
Old 12-05-23, 02:00 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
If you could please demonstrate a bicycle planing upon the hydro all this nonsense could be easily done away with.
Well I like my body parts in their current configuration, so I'm not going to demonstrate it personally, but video evidence exists.

If one pays attention to those videos, in addition to the several crashes resulting from hydroplaning, one can see some outstanding bikehandling where the bike is wiggling around underneath the rider due to hydroplaning, yet they manage to stay upright.

I genuinely would like to see you ride into a lake and not break the surface, to ride upon a bow wave for any distance.
If that's how you are defining "hydroplaning", then it is no wonder you are so confused.

Originally Posted by https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hydroplane
hydroplane
: to skim on water
especially, of a vehicle : to skid on a wet surface (such as pavement) because a film of water on the surface causes the tires to lose contact with it
Old 12-05-23, 02:07 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

^ none of that is hydroplaning.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 12-05-23, 02:11 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
TC1
None of those are hydroplaning. Those are demonstrations of losing traction. This is why you are the lone soul proclaiming in the darkness.

Words have definitions. You sir, are wrong. Just wrong. Hence the opposition to your claims and the efforts to change your understanding of the word.

...And you call us "anti-science?" Go. Run the experiment. If you can irrefutably demonstrate you can plane a bicycle upon the hydro such as the water skier, or snowmobile in the other thread we will all yield the position.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 12-05-23, 02:17 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1

This is another example of the type of comment this thread, and forum, do not need. If you can only judge an argument by the author's credentials, then you aren't capable of judging the argument at all. If a person's argument is correct, it doesn't matter if they are a janitor, a patent clerk, or a principal researcher.
But your argument appears to be complete nonsense that nobody is buying into.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-05-23, 02:27 PM
TC1

TC1
None of those are hydroplaning. Those are demonstrations of losing traction.
How -- exactly? How, exactly, does one "lose traction"? Before answering, remember how traction is generated by a rubber tire. Since most here do not know, I will explain. A rubber tire generates traction when the force of gravity acting on its mass, and the mass of whatever it is supporting, presses it into the surface on which it is rolling ( or sitting ), and the rubber deforms into the imperfections in that surface. The resulting interlocked interface between tire and surface is what we call "traction".

So, again, what exactly occurs to disable the force of gravity acting on those poor riders' tires?

Obviously, nothing disables gravity. What we see occurring in those videos is that water fills-in those imperfections in the road surface, and since water is incompressible, the tire rubber no longer has imperfections with which to mate, and no traction can result.

And that, is hydroplaning.

Words have definitions.
Yes, I know -- I just had to quote you the definition of the word we are discussing, since you were seemingly unaware of it.

If you can irrefutably demonstrate you can plane a bicycle upon the hydro such as the water skier, or snowmobile in the other thread we will all yield the position.
I just did -- or more precisely, those riders and cameramen in the above videos did. I'm just the messenger.
Likes For TC1:
Old 12-05-23, 02:30 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by TC1
So, again, what exactly occurs to disable the force of gravity acting on those poor riders' tires?
In the first clip, he hit that dip in the road so hard it damn near instantly knocked him off the bike! Once you get that far out of balance and have both feet unclipped, you're likely to eventually come off the bike as he did.
Old 12-05-23, 02:32 PM
TC1

Originally Posted by PeteHski
But your argument appears to be complete nonsense that nobody is buying into.
Nobody... other than every tiremaker who builds treaded tires, of course. And the one individual a few pages ago who experienced hydroplaning on a bicycle.
Old 12-05-23, 02:36 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
That said, shelbyfv, you know damn well that I wasn't gone, because just last week, you were making-up nonsensical accusations about me.
Clearly I was laughing at my 06/23 self for imagining that you might have left so easily. Now that you are cranked up again I'll be watching to see if any of your bizarre discussions convince anyone of anything. This is not the first rodeo and I think you'll find that many people here actually do cycle and know a fair amount about it. But don't let that stop you....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-05-23, 02:40 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I genuinely would like to see you ride into a lake and not break the surface, to ride upon a bow wave for any distance.
He says I could do it on my 700 x 23s if I was going over 120 mph. I admit I can't pedal that fast.
Old 12-05-23, 02:41 PM
TC1

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
In the first clip, he hit that dip in the road so hard it damn near instantly knocked him off the bike! Once you get that far out of balance and have both feet unclipped, you're likely to eventually come off the bike as he did.
That's a world-championships-qualifying rider. It's not the first time he rode over a bump. These guys do not very often crash alone, riding in a straight line, on a course they reconnoitered. It's pretty desperate to convince yourself that he wiped out over a little bump.
Old 12-05-23, 02:43 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by TC1
That's a world-championships-qualifying rider. It's not the first time he rode over a bump. These guys do not very often crash alone, riding in a straight line, on a course they reconnoitered. It's pretty desperate to convince yourself that he wiped out over a little bump.
Happens all the time.

Old 12-05-23, 02:56 PM
TC1

Originally Posted by smd4
He says I could do it on my 700 x 23s if I was going over 120 mph. I admit I can't pedal that fast.
Some women can ride half-again that fast. The point is, many people here are confusing the question. The question is not "Can I hydroplane my bicycle via my pedal power?" The question is not "Can I ride my bicycle across an entire lake?" The question is not "Well I've never hydroplaned, so I guess it must be impossible?"

The question is, are bicycle tires somehow immune to hydroplaning at all speeds, as is often claimed on this forum?

And the answer is, "No, they are not." And we have both mathematical and video evidence to support that answer.

More precisely, and of direct concern to most riders, is "Can I crash my bicycle due to hydroplaning?" And that answer is, if you approach the hydroplane speed -- the formula for which has been mentioned repeatedly and known for 60 years -- by any means ( gravity, electricity, human power, magic, etc ) -- then "Yes, you can suffer a hydroplane incident."

There should not really be any debate about that, at this point, but those resistant to science will apparently persist for a while longer.
Likes For TC1:
Old 12-05-23, 02:57 PM
TC1

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Happens all the time.
Note the word "alone" in the comment to which you replied.
Old 12-05-23, 03:00 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked 4,872 Times in 3,016 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
Nobody... other than every tiremaker who builds treaded tires, of course. And the one individual a few pages ago who experienced hydroplaning on a bicycle.
None of my road bike tyres are treaded and they don’t aquaplane.

That one individual didn’t really seem to have much idea about what happened, but since he didn’t actually crash and probably wasn’t going at warp speed I very much doubt it was aquaplaning.
Old 12-05-23, 03:01 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Topic is still circling the toilet bowl. Like the other thread, this thread is now closed.

Likes For cb400bill: