Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

digital caliper recommendations

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

digital caliper recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-23, 05:02 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
A $10 digital caliper... !
I thought lowball was the name of the game.

When my kids first saw a Vernier, they couldn't workout why the markings wouldn't lineup.
But, no batteries, ever. It'll even survive WW3.

Barry
This is true.
​​​​​​​
I got my Mitutoyo vernier caliper while on patrol in the city of Fallujah, Iraq two days after we began "the Push", and the day after my unit entered the city behind the Marines. I had just taken this photo of the most surreal scene I could think of.

The caliper was sitting on the ground, amidst a bunch of other metal junk, just outside the wall of Jolan Park. I picked it up, looked to see if it was straight, stuck them in my camera bag (I was a combat photographer with the Seabees) and went back to work.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 06-30-23, 05:52 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I use calipers daily at work. Be warned that if you buy a cheap electronic caliper you might be replacing the battery every time you use it. I was getting about 30 days per battery on a $15 electronic caliper, which means a lot of people will be putting in a new one every time they take it out. Before that I had a Mitotoyo and the battery lasted forever, but it wasn't cheap and the plastic face got messed up just as easily as a cheap one (maybe they use gorilla glass now?--they should). I went back to a Mitotoyo plain vernier, though a GOOD dial caliper is always a temptation.

For brakes, the mentioned C-frame micrometer is probably the best tool. https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools.../dp/B00004T7UD

Last edited by mdarnton; 06-30-23 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-30-23, 03:19 PM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by mdarnton
I use calipers daily at work. Be warned that if you buy a cheap electronic caliper you might be replacing the battery every time you use it. I was getting about 30 days per battery on a $15 electronic caliper, which means a lot of people will be putting in a new one every time they take it out. Before that I had a Mitotoyo and the battery lasted forever, but it wasn't cheap and the plastic face got messed up just as easily as a cheap one (maybe they use gorilla glass now?--they should). I went back to a Mitotoyo plain vernier, though a GOOD dial caliper is always a temptation.

For brakes, the mentioned C-frame micrometer is probably the best tool. https://www.amazon.com/General-Tools.../dp/B00004T7UD
I read somewhere that Mitotoyo have a patent on the battery system and that is why it lasts so long and others don’t.
Old 06-30-23, 10:35 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
so this definitely seems like the right tool for the job - very easy to position the point of measurement on any one section or the perforated / patterned rotor. also about $30 delivered.

assuming the thing isn’t total junk (doesn’t seem to be, although i have nothing of absolutely definitive thickness other than some valve feeler gauges) my rear rotor has a lot of variance, with many “spokes” at 1.60-1.65 but then a few at 1.48-1.51. can’t really imagine why that would be on a spinning disc, I guess wear subsequent to mild warping would thin out spots?

braking performance is still excellent, smooth, quiet, powerful, so I’m not going to replace them until the majority of the surface is at 1.50.

Old 07-01-23, 06:54 AM
Keefusb
Keefusb

Bikes: 60cm 1992 Paramount, 60cm 1995 Cannondale R900 (son's bike), 1994 Cannondale H300 (mine), 1994 Cannondale H300 Killer V (wife's bike), 60 cm 1989 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra SLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 36 Posts
I have an old Swiss-made vernier scale caliper that was a hand-me-down from my dad that I have no idea where it came from. I also have a cheap $10 digital caliper from China that I believe came from Lidl. Between the two of them I should have the accuracy and convenience sides covered.
Old 07-01-23, 09:18 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
so this definitely seems like the right tool for the job - very easy to position the point of measurement on any one section or the perforated / patterned rotor. also about $30 delivered.

assuming the thing isn’t total junk (doesn’t seem to be, although i have nothing of absolutely definitive thickness other than some valve feeler gauges) my rear rotor has a lot of variance, with many “spokes” at 1.60-1.65 but then a few at 1.48-1.51. can’t really imagine why that would be on a spinning disc, I guess wear subsequent to mild warping would thin out spots?

braking performance is still excellent, smooth, quiet, powerful, so I’m not going to replace them until the majority of the surface is at 1.50.
For speed of use, the spring actuated ones seem would suffice
https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Digit.../dp/B07D1JCPWM

Old 07-01-23, 09:52 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
somebody sent me this measurement one time. What's wrong with this picture?

/markp

Old 07-01-23, 09:53 AM
ralphs

Bikes: 2001 Trek 7200, GT Avalanche, and more

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 135 Times in 65 Posts
Judging by the condition of the inside jaws, a lot.
Old 07-01-23, 09:59 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by ralphs
Judging by the condition of the inside jaws, a lot.
jaws? jaw? wut
Old 07-01-23, 10:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6197 Post(s)
Liked 4,813 Times in 3,321 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
They shouldn't be used to clamp a seat post! <grin>

Though if you have to do that I suppose it's better to mess up the outer part of the inside measuring jaws as are they.
Old 07-01-23, 11:38 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

had prolly been used as a crescent wrench previously

/markp
Old 07-01-23, 01:50 PM
mschwett 

any thoughts on whether a .1mm variation in thickness across the rotor (at the same distance from edge) is particularly unusual?
Old 07-01-23, 02:34 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Originally Posted by mschwett
any thoughts on whether a .1mm variation in thickness across the rotor (at the same distance from edge) is particularly unusual?
as somebody said above, a disk rotor is best measured with a micrometer

the swept area of the rotor probably has a shoulder at the periphery of the wear area

so, hard to say

/markp
Old 07-01-23, 03:04 PM
mschwett 

as somebody said above, a disk rotor is best measured with a micrometer

the swept area of the rotor probably has a shoulder at the periphery of the wear area

so, hard to say

/markp
yes - as noted, the micrometer (pictured above!) made it pretty easy to zero in on a particular section of the braking track of the rotor. the variation is from one section to the next, e.g. on two sides of a perforation.

these are the rotors (when they were newer)

Old 07-01-23, 03:09 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

so is there any pulsing or odd behavior under braking ? or noted in lever pressure ?

if your measurements are correct there should be !

if not I would not worry

/markp
Old 07-01-23, 03:12 PM
mschwett 

so is there any pulsing or odd behavior under braking ? or noted in lever pressure ?

if your measurements are correct there should be !

if not I would not worry

/markp
nope, braking is smooth, quiet, reliable, powerful. easy to lock it up or not. i did feel some chattering yesterday on a 25% downgrade with very rough pavement, but i’m pretty sure that was the tire locking up super easily in a situation i’d normally avoid. i do a decent amount of very fast descending and the brakes are smooth and confidence inspiring.

maybe i’ll make a little video measuring, i suppose it’s possible i’m doing something wrong.
Old 07-01-23, 05:56 PM
mschwett 

i think i can say that when used properly the tool is accurate. tried a few different feeler gauges and all within .001

the range on one quarter of the rotor seems to be about 1.42 to 1.57. i guess i do in fact need a new rotor. distressingly short life - 2400 miles!! the .15mm variance doesn’t seem to affect the actual braking.

boring video - which does illustrate how much the measurement varies if the 1/8” diameter (approx) flat head of the micrometer isn’t completely true and flush on both sides. the tool has a very soft clutch, so cranking it with the dial doesn’t exert enough force to square it up.

https://imgur.com/a/X2KJHNk

Last edited by mschwett; 07-01-23 at 06:05 PM.
Old 07-01-23, 07:31 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by awac
I read somewhere that Mitotoyo have a patent on the battery system and that is why it lasts so long and others don’t.
The other name brand calipers all have similar battery life to the Mitutoyos. The cheap imports use cheaper batteries when new, and have substantially higher power consumption when turned off. There’s a write up online somewhere about what’s different in the circuit of the imports that makes it cheaper to produce but uses more power. The result is way shorter battery life. That’s actually the easiest way I’ve found to separate real digital Mitutoyo calipers from the massive number of fakes for sale.
Likes For jccaclimber:
Old 07-01-23, 08:24 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
Why would anyone use the *inside* measuring jaws for an *outside* measurement?
Old 07-02-23, 12:29 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I just bought a couple of cheap ones at IIRC, Home Depot or Lowes, maybe eBay. Before that I had a Verneer, and an analog dial type. I think the dial type would work fine, if it were in mm, but it's in inches.

Both of my very cheap ones (I'm thinking <$25) work fine. I really wish the dial type was in mm because I think it's cool.

I also have a micrometer I inherited from my grandpa in the 80s, probably from the 40s or so. I have used it and enjoy every time I do. But never on a bike so far. I might use it when I measure my disc rotors to get past the edge and compare to what I get from the digital caliper.

Originally Posted by mdarnton
I use calipers daily at work. Be warned that if you buy a cheap electronic caliper you might be replacing the battery every time you use it. I was getting about 30 days per battery on a $15 electronic caliper, which means a lot of people will be putting in a new one every time they take it out.
Too bad. I've had my cheapos for many years and never changed a battery.

Last edited by Camilo; 07-02-23 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-02-23, 12:40 AM
awac

Bikes: 1980 Gitane sprint,1977 Motobécane C4, 1977 Carlton Clubman, 1959 Claud Butler European

Originally Posted by PhilFo
This is true.

I got my Mitutoyo vernier caliper while on patrol in the city of Fallujah, Iraq two days after we began "the Push", and the day after my unit entered the city behind the Marines. I had just taken this photo of the most surreal scene I could think of.

The caliper was sitting on the ground, amidst a bunch of other metal junk, just outside the wall of Jolan Park. I picked it up, looked to see if it was straight, stuck them in my camera bag (I was a combat photographer with the Seabees) and went back to work.
You was a lucky person that it wasn’t attached to an IED, a very tempting thing to pick up. I don’t think many on this forum could have resisted either for what it is worth!
Old 07-02-23, 01:01 AM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by awac
You was a lucky person that it wasn’t attached to an IED, a very tempting thing to pick up. I don’t think many on this forum could have resisted either for what it is worth!
Naa, it was in a heap which used to be an old handyman’s repair shop, from what I gathered. Not every shiny is booby trapped; they had other less savory tactics. There was a LOT of UXO there, which is one of the things we were taking care of. I have a photo somewhere of an uncapped RPG HEAT round not too far from my foot.
Anyway, the simple vernier calipers survived heavy urban combat, the trip home in 2005, and very frequent use ever since.
Old 07-02-23, 02:15 AM
awac

Originally Posted by PhilFo
Naa, it was in a heap which used to be an old handyman’s repair shop, from what I gathered. Not every shiny is booby trapped; they had other less savory tactics. There was a LOT of UXO there, which is one of the things we were taking care of. I have a photo somewhere of an uncapped RPG HEAT round not too far from my foot.
Anyway, the simple vernier calipers survived heavy urban combat, the trip home in 2005, and very frequent use ever since.
You are right, not every one…….you should post a thread of some of your photos, make/find a thread link with “Are you a cyclist and ex-services” probably already exists, I have not looked. Interesting to know how much cycling helps with issues derived from service.
Old 07-09-23, 05:10 PM
mschwett 

i replaced that rotor, and just for kicks weighed it compared to the new one. perhaps the weight isn't precise enough, or there is a few grams of variation in new rotors, but theoretically, on average, it should only be .14mm thinner than new, but was reading more like .25 with all available methods of measuring thickness!

Old 07-09-23, 08:34 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I would go with a mechanical micrometer, preferably Mitutoyo or Starrett. One thing to know is that with digital calipers, even the good ones, the tolerance of those "could" exceed the variance on disc rotor thickness. That results in variable readings. With analog (mechanical) calipers you can typically get a closer reading because you can read in-between hashes.

The other thing to know is that the slight variance in the flatness of the rotor "may" give weird readings with a caliper versus a micrometer because the caliper reads across a long distance.

I'm not a machinist but I have another hobby that requires absolute precision with measurements (or bad things can happen) and there are two camps in that hobby as well: mechanical versus digital, for the reasons I stated above. The cool thing about digital, and I own two actually, is the quickness of the reading and the no "interpretation" of incremental (in-between) measurements on a mechanical tool make a digital much easier to use for the average joe. That's one of the reasons digitals are so popular. My wife uses my digital tools for her hobby and loves them.

If all you're going to do is measure bike rotors or other bike parts, a digital micrometer may be your best choice. If you plan to use it on other precision measuring, a mechanical micrometer would be the better choice, in my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.