Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chains submerged in Diesel fuel

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Chains submerged in Diesel fuel

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-23, 09:32 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,315 Posts
I've read of and seen vids of pro Euro team mechanics using diesel and paint brushes to service the rider's bikes. Andy
Old 08-27-23, 09:36 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
There’s quite a bit of overlap between kerosene and diesel.
Yes, as I noted in Post 4 ("Diesel fuel is basically kerosene..."). I just wanted to be (perhaps a bit too) specific to pre-empt the flames.
I'd say, for the purposes of chain cleaning, Diesel fuel is essentially the same... and much safer than gasoline!
Likes For sweeks:
Old 08-27-23, 12:19 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
so.. you're reusing a solvent loaded with previous filth and conntaminants, and that is HYGROSCOPIC (attracts Water), to "clean a chain".

got it.
thanks for clarifying.

i use mineral spirits(AKA: Paint thinner) for grease removal... it's a much more effective cleaner, and the smell is a lot easier to rid from my area too.

PS.. "shaking" is mechanical cleaning
and i hope you're using a plastic container.. i've seen the bottom break out of a glass jar from "shaking" bearings in solvent.
No.

The water in Diesel fuel is from water condensing on the side of the tank.

Water is not attracted to diesel fuel.
Old 08-27-23, 12:20 PM
Redbullet

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
According to some of the above posts, it looks that Diesel is not corrosive. Point taken, thanks!

Just to avoid misunderstandings: it is not about using large tanks and quantities of Diesel. It is only about shaking and manipulating small quantities of 200-300 grams from one PET to another, once at 1-3 months (Winter included). Around 20-30 grams are lost every time, together with grit extracted from the chain. It is nothing special and it is not dirty at all, given the simplicity of the process and the small quantities involved. I started to use Diesel because it was easily available and the cost of a few hundred grams wasted per year is not material.

Since “mineral spirit” is suggested here as a better alternative than Diesel, then: How do I identify “Mineral spirit” on the EU market (I assume it is marketed under another name) and what would be its cost?
Old 08-27-23, 12:36 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
What you do not realize is that diesel is a very very dirty fuel with millions of particles in each gallon. Diesel fuel filters remove 98.7% of the particles which still lets 240,000 particles per gallon to go into the fuel injection system of the engine which is why the fuel injectors are have a much shorter life than with engines burning gasoline.
Old 08-27-23, 12:47 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
According to some of the above posts, it looks that Diesel is not corrosive. Point taken, thanks!
Since “mineral spirit” is suggested here as a better alternative than Diesel, then: How do I identify “Mineral spirit” on the EU market (I assume it is marketed under another name) and what would be its cost?
in the USA, it is known as "Paint thinner" and, en Espanol', "Diluyente De Pintura"... and sold in paint shops and hardware shops..

the package label will, typically,also include (somewhere) "made with Mineral Spirits"
Old 08-27-23, 12:49 PM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Just asking, wouldn't Dawn and a brush serve to remove dirt and such? Then re lubricate.
Old 08-27-23, 12:52 PM
Redbullet

Originally Posted by Calsun
What you do not realize is that diesel is a very very dirty fuel with millions of particles in each gallon. Diesel fuel filters remove 98.7% of the particles which still lets 240,000 particles per gallon to go into the fuel injection system of the engine which is why the fuel injectors are have a much shorter life than with engines burning gasoline.
I didn't study that, thus, I can not contest it (although I have a Diesel car with perfect injectors after 250.000 km).
But does this relate to the simple process of cleaning a bike chain? I get 9000 km of riding with one chain with this method, and I replace the chain before reaching 0.075 mm on caliber. maybe I could get around 15000 km with one chain if I used it up to 0.1 mm, but I preferred earlier replacement, to save the cassette and chain rings. My oldest cassette has now 28.000 km and it shoes no signs being worn; I guess it will largely exceed 35.000. Overall, the process seems to give very good results.
Likes For Redbullet:
Old 08-27-23, 12:57 PM
Redbullet

in the USA, it is known as "Paint thinner"
Thanks!
"Paint thinner" sounds the most familiar name to me. Its cost would probably be just a little above Diesel.
Old 08-27-23, 01:03 PM
Redbullet

Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
Just asking, wouldn't Dawn and a brush serve to remove dirt and such? Then re lubricate.
It takes more work, it is somehow dirtier and I think it does not remove too much grit inside the rollers. Leaving the chain submerged and then shaking it would dissolve old lube and most of the grit will fall in time at the bottom of the PET. With not too much work...
Likes For Redbullet:
Old 08-27-23, 01:22 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
I didn't study that, thus, I can not contest it (although I have a Diesel car with perfect injectors after 250.000 km).
But does this relate to the simple process of cleaning a bike chain? I get 9000 km of riding with one chain with this method, and I replace the chain before reaching 0.075 mm on caliber. maybe I could get around 15000 km with one chain if I used it up to 0.1 mm, but I preferred earlier replacement, to save the cassette and chain rings. My oldest cassette has now 28.000 km and it shoes no signs being worn; I guess it will largely exceed 35.000. Overall, the process seems to give very good results.
your diesel injectors are not "Perfect" after that many KM.. trust me on that fact.
that's approximately 3500 to 4000 hours of operation.... at roughly 60,000 operation cycles per hour.... do the math.

Last edited by maddog34; 08-27-23 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-27-23, 01:43 PM
Redbullet

your diesel injectors are not "Perfect" after that many KM.. trust me on that fact.
that's approximately 3500 to 4000 hours of operation.... at roughly 60,000 operation cycles per hour.... do the math.
"Perfect" was a way to say they still work very well: the car still performs almost to its rated maximum speed and acceleration. I don't feel detectable increase in fuel consumption. Sure, about how injectors look now inside and for how long they will work from now on... I have no idea.
Old 08-27-23, 02:22 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts

Just to avoid misunderstandings: it is not about using large tanks and quantities of Diesel. It is only about shaking and manipulating small quantities of 200-300 grams from one PET to another, once at 1-3 months (Winter included). Around 20-30 grams are lost every time, together with grit extracted from the chain. It is nothing special and it is not dirty at all, given the simplicity of the process and the small quantities involved. I started to use Diesel because it was easily available and the cost of a few hundred grams wasted per year is not material.

In the EU market it might be called white spirits, mineral turpentine, Stoddard solvent, turpentin ersatz as a few possible names.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 08-28-23 at 08:19 AM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-27-23, 03:10 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4412 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Methy ethyl ketone (2-butanone) isn’t really that good of a solvent for oils. It’s too polar. Longer chain ketones might be good solvents for cleaning chains but they are far more costly and not readily available through retail outlets.

Mineral spirits is a good choice because it’s not too flammable, evaporates quickly, is very effective, and is readily and cheaply available.
The point you missed was that I was making a joke about using something as nasty as diesel to clean bike parts. If I had said mineral spirits there would be no joke about toxicity, would there?
Old 08-27-23, 03:17 PM
Kontact 

Diesel shouldn’t be corrosive. It’s nonpolar and can only carry a small amount of water because of that nonpolar character.
Wait a minute! Don't you keep telling people you're a chemical engineer? Where's the discussion about sulfur content related corrosion and microbial growth and acidic waste from that?
Old 08-27-23, 03:27 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Calsun
It’s still clean enough for a chain.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-27-23, 03:31 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

No. it doesn’t. A bike chain is in an open environment. So even if diesel (Or any cleaner) was completely pure, the chain will pick up enough contamination during the first ride that it won’t matter whether the diesel had contaminants or not.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-27-23, 03:33 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Kontact
Wait a minute! Don't you keep telling people you're a chemical engineer? Where's the discussion about sulfur content related corrosion and microbial growth and acidic waste from that?
That’s a concern on commercial fishing boats. Not bike chains.
And probably not anymore with the ultra low sulfur requirements.
Old 08-27-23, 04:03 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
That’s a concern on commercial fishing boats. Not bike chains.
And probably not anymore with the ultra low sulfur requirements.
Yet a guy on this thread had a rusted bike chain from soaking in diesel.

This thread was started by someone who knew they were going against the grain about the corrosion reputation of diesel. Regardless of whether he is right or not, there is no upside to using diesel for cleaning chains (or guns) unless you're constantly around the stuff already. It's gross with a nasty smell and it isn't a better cleaner than a ton of alternatives that are less toxic.

The only reason we are discussing the nasty junk is that someone put it up for discussion. We might as well be talking about cleaning chains with pee. Most will realize there isn't much reason to do so, and a few contrarians will be all for it.

1. You don't need to clean and degrease your chain. Chain makers tell you not to.
2. All sorts of stuff cleans chains, including lubricants.
3. If you care so much about chain cleanliness, why are you using liquid lubricants in the first place?

So just another silly thread.
Old 08-27-23, 05:42 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Chemist, not chemical engineer. Sulfur in the fuel isn’t all that corrosive until it is burned. Not that there is much sulfur in diesel anymore. Since 2006, allowable sulfur was dropped to 15ppm. It’s a good bet that anything used today has that level of sulfur and isn’t something to be concerned about.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-27-23, 06:09 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
At least use off road diesel so you don't pay the road tax
Likes For dedhed:
Old 08-27-23, 07:04 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Diesel smells so bad I can't think of anything I would want to use it for other than fuel.

And FWIW, it doesn't matter what anyone posts that they do to their chain, someone is going to say it is wrong.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 08-28-23, 12:28 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Yet a guy on this thread had a rusted bike chain from soaking in diesel.

This thread was started by someone who knew they were going against the grain about the corrosion reputation of diesel. Regardless of whether he is right or not, there is no upside to using diesel for cleaning chains (or guns) unless you're constantly around the stuff already. It's gross with a nasty smell and it isn't a better cleaner than a ton of alternatives that are less toxic.

The only reason we are discussing the nasty junk is that someone put it up for discussion. We might as well be talking about cleaning chains with pee. Most will realize there isn't much reason to do so, and a few contrarians will be all for it.

1. You don't need to clean and degrease your chain. Chain makers tell you not to.
2. All sorts of stuff cleans chains, including lubricants.
3. If you care so much about chain cleanliness, why are you using liquid lubricants in the first place?

So just another silly thread.
I don’t think so.
He said he’s in Europe. He didn’t say where in Europe.
Frankfurt? He can probably get anything we can.
Rural Bulgaria? Maybe not. But you can get diesel pretty much anywhere on earth.
And it will work good enough to cut the old lube and flush enough grit out.

The poster from India who said he was a broke college student? Yep. I recommended flushing his freewheel with diesel.

The things many on BF seem to not understand. Not everyone lives in the USA or has access to the products the US has. Not everything is a drop bar road bike.

I saw some ****ed up houses and villages in the Balkans. That was 20+ years ago, so maybe things are better now, but they might not have access to Phil’s, or their wife might get pissed if they steal the crockpot to wax a chain.

But even in a war zone, you can find diesel. And some equivalent of ATF (5606 or 83282).
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-28-23, 02:38 AM
Redbullet

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
I
I saw some ****ed up houses and villages in the Balkans. That was 20+ years ago, so maybe things are better now, but they might not have access to Phil’s, or their wife might get pissed if they steal the crockpot to wax a chain.
But even in a war zone, you can find diesel. And some equivalent of ATF (5606 or 83282).
Come on, I don't think that people in "****ed up houses and villages in the Balkans" use to buy and ride road bikes with Force 22 on their "pristine" roads; they have other tough problems to solve. The reason of using Diesel is much simpler: it is easily available without research, internet order and payment or visiting a shop. Just throw 2-3 liters in a small metal can after you fuel the car - and it's enough for years. As I mentioned before, it isn't so dirty, due to the small quantities involved and the simplicity of the process. A few minutes of smell and a few drops on the floor tile within a year are not an issue, really... My concern was about corrosion.

And, to be honest, I was also alerted by a number of posts on Facebook showing newer "flattop" chains broken without known reason, with some people trying to challenge the cleaning method used by the posters. As I also use one of that on a bike (no problems so far), I just started to prudently challenge the possible corrosion effect of Diesel.

Last edited by Redbullet; 08-28-23 at 02:44 AM.
Old 08-28-23, 02:49 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Come on, I don't think that people in "****ed up houses and villages in the Balkans" use to buy and ride road bikes with Force 22 on their "pristine" roads; they have other tough problems to solve. The reason of using Diesel is much simpler: it is easily available without research, internet order and payment or visiting a shop. Just throw 2-3 liters in a small metal can after you fuel the car - and it's enough for years. As I mentioned before, it isn't so dirty, due to the small quantities involved and the simplicity of the process. A few minutes of smell and a few drops on the floor tile within a year are not an issue, really... My concern was about corrosion.

And, to be honest, I was also alerted by a number of posts on Facebook showing newer "flattop" chains broken without known reason, with some people trying to challenge the cleaning method used by the posters. As I also use one of that on a bike (no problems so far), I just started to prudently challenge the possible corrosion effect of Diesel.
It’s not corrosive.
Likes For SkinGriz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.