Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Early 90s Bike Side pull Brakes Not moving Evenly.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Early 90s Bike Side pull Brakes Not moving Evenly.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-23, 09:40 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Maybe I will get some Kool stops for Christmas? Other suggestions on pads? Will it make a difference?
I like SwissStop pads.

As I have related before, I had absolutely no problem with my stock Dura Ace pads. They stop great. But I got a set of SwissStop pads on a whim, and yes, there is a very noticeable difference. I admit I didn't think there would be such a difference. I suspect the same would be true for Kool Stop pads.
Old 09-01-23, 10:44 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
What a silly thing to say. "Old" brakes were new at one time, too.

My brand-new Dura Ace 7400 single-pivot side pulls had (obviously) brand new pads, very close attention paid to the cabling, and the mechanic who installed them had a ton of experience and was fastidious and nearly anal about brake adjustment for optimum performance (me).

They absolutely pale in comparison to the 7700 dual-pivots. There is simply no contest.
Profound truth. Yes, Dura-Ace 7402 was the best single pivot brake ever made, featuring the highest quality hardware and materials. The light spring action meant you could apply more hand pressure to actual braking and not in overcoming overly-stiff springs, as with the Campy brakes.

But the next generation 7403 dual pivots were a quantum leap forward in braking power, and they self-centered. Nothing to do with pads, the design was simply better.

I also had 7700 and 7800 calipers and they were as good as the 7403's and lighter.

If you have a little more coin, then check out the Ultegra R8000 calipers, as they are a newer symmetrical dual-pivot design, and they incorporate a small steel stiffening plate between the arms. This adds a little weight, but for outright power, they are better than the previous generations of dual-pivot brakes.
Old 09-01-23, 11:02 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
If you have a little more coin, then check out the Ultegra R8000 calipers, as they are a newer symmetrical dual-pivot design, and they incorporate a small steel stiffening plate between the arms. This adds a little weight, but for outright power, they are better than the previous generations of dual-pivot brakes.
I've heard they are stellar. Unfortunately, I have a hard and fast anti-black-component rule!
Likes For smd4:
Old 09-01-23, 03:22 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts

Unfortunately, R8000 calipers require brake levers that pull more cable. The OP's older brake levers would likely bottom out before maximum braking could be achieved unless the calipers were adjusted extremely close to the rim and the rims were absolutely, perfectly true.
Old 09-01-23, 04:17 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
So because of two 3 mm holes, your handlebars, what, snapped in half? If you say it happened, I believe you. But honestly that's hard to fathom. ...
...it's much easier to understand, once you've personally experienced it. A lot of life is like that.
Old 09-02-23, 08:08 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
I'll tell you straight and true that if that bike fit me I'd be willing to take it off your hands in a heartbeat. I have absolutely no problem with sidepull brakes or popping a couple $ for what it needs.

JMO of course. YMMV
Old 09-03-23, 08:11 AM
RoadWearier

Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
How much would you pay for it?
Old 09-03-23, 08:52 AM
Steel Charlie

Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Unfortunately it's too big
Old 09-03-23, 10:33 AM
RoadWearier

But if it fit what would pay
Old 09-03-23, 12:34 PM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 386 Posts
If you like the bike, get a taller stem and replace both brake cables and housing. Not a big deal, and one should expect to spend some money on fitting/refreshing when buying a decades old used bike anyway. If the bars did not come drilled when new, not a bad idea to replace those too.
Old 09-03-23, 02:19 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
A dual-pivot brake for the front should cost less than $20 to your door via. Aliexpress. As I posted earlier, any dual-pivot brake will be superior to any single pivot brake (ever made) as it features greater mechanical advantage and it self-centers. Plus it will come with new pads, to replace the 30+ year-old hard hardened rubber on your current brakes.

I have a large heavy bin of vintage brake calipers which include the highest-end offerings of Campagnolo, Suntour and Shimano. The best of all of them were the Dura-Ace 7402s, of which I have a few sets. These are still inferior to any no-name dual pivot brake I can buy online for the price of a burrito and a beer.

Next, replace all of your too-short cables and housings; this should be done yearly anyway, plus the new stuff is much smoother and less spongy than the old unlined stuff.

Finally, discard your bars, as you indicate that someone drilled them for aero routing. Whoever did this was dangerously irresponsible; these bars are not meant for this; the stress risers will eventually cause a bar failure. I know from real-life experience after using some-second-hand Cinelli bars that someone had drilled for (pointless) aero routing. About as close to dying as I've ever come.
So before dual pivots no bike engineer understood how levers worked.
The finest engineers in Shimano couldn't do it.
They could build beautiful but ultimately rubbish brakes. Cold forged , polished and precision bearing surfaces. I have some and even the bolts are brilliant. No corrosion after thirty years of use.
But they got the leverage wrong. They must have done no testing. How shoddy of them.
Everybody was riding around with rubbish brakes and no one knew. In a hundred or so years no one figured it out.
That is mad. Must have been a computer that eventually figured it out. Or maybe N.A.S.A.
​​​​​

​​​​​
Old 09-03-23, 02:26 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by blamester
So before dual pivots no bike engineer understood how levers worked.
The finest engineers in Shimano couldn't do it.
They could build beautiful but ultimately rubbish brakes. Cold forged , polished and precision bearing surfaces. I have some and even the bolts are brilliant. No corrosion after thirty years of use.
But they got the leverage wrong. They must have done no testing. How shoddy of them.
Everybody was riding around with rubbish brakes and no one knew. In a hundred or so years no one figured it out.
​​​​​
As mentioned, several of us have a great deal of experience with top of the line Shimano single pivots. No one said they were rubbish. What we have said, but what doesn’t apparently support your worldview, is that dual pivots simply perform better.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

Last edited by smd4; 09-03-23 at 02:29 PM.
Old 09-03-23, 02:56 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Well it was said that the cheapest dual pivot is better than the best single pivot ever made.
That is not true.
Single pivots or dual pivot or v brakes with the wrong levers will all be inferior to the correct combination of caliper and lever. And the cheapest version of any will be worse.
My world view doesn't change the law of levers.
Old 09-03-23, 03:31 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by blamester
Well it was said that the cheapest dual pivot is better than the best single pivot ever made.
That is not true.
Single pivots or dual pivot or v brakes with the wrong levers will all be inferior to the correct combination of caliper and lever. And the cheapest version of any will be worse.
My world view doesn't change the law of levers.
Gotcha. You moved the goalpost to include using the wrong levers.

So I use the exact same levers for my Dura Ace 7400 single pivots as I do my 7700 dual pivots, and the dual pivots are far, far superior. Are you suggesting I’m using the incorrect lever for single pivots?

Last edited by smd4; 09-03-23 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-03-23, 03:44 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

How much would you pay for it?
But if it fit what would pay
...$150. https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...bout-them.html
Old 09-03-23, 03:48 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

... I always thought Archimedes figured out levers a long time ago. I didn't know he worked for Shimano.
Old 09-03-23, 04:39 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Roadwearier,

The brake shoes on the Medici probably need replacement. I now run Kool-Stop Eagle Claw 2s on my Superbes, and the braking is good enough - high stopping power, easy to modulate, $18 with 2-day delivery from Amazon, though perhaps your local LBS can sell them to you today. Much better than K-S Continentals that I was using. I think we'd all recommend making sure your brake pads are pretty current.
Those look like Suntour Superbe brakes, medium pull, possibly with nutted connections. What dual-pivot brakes other than Tektro 539s or 359s will fit without modifying the frame?
You think it's easy to drill out the mounting holes? I don't. I don't know how competent Roadwearier is with a drill, but if the current brakes can be made to work, IMO that's better than modifying the frame.
Just as I was wondering if there were any trade-offs involved in going dual-pivot, TrakHak quoted Jobst Brandt. What do you know? There ARE trade-offs.

I tried dual-pivots on a number of occasions, to wit:

1) Weinmann center-pulls - I thought the Superbes were easier to modulate and stopped better;
2) Ultegras with old pads on a titanium Guru - impossible to modulate; great for panic stops, but I rarely need to make panic stops;
3) low-end 30 year old Shimano DPs that came on a Technium 450 with K-S Eagle Claw 2s - nothing special.

D-Ps are A solution. They may be THE solution for you. They're not THE solution for everyone.
Ali-express? I have a lot of respect for China, but the fact is that it's impossible to look at a listing on Aliexpress and know the quality of the goods, Price alone isn't a reliable indicator; some vendors sell junk at super-high markups. We all know corners can be cut, and if corners can be cut, they will be. Sorry ... when even brand names sell brakes that don't stop bikes, I can't see recommending to someone that they take the risk that goes along with buying 'any' $20 brake.
Nitto makes tall stems. Nitto may not have Cinelli' panache but may equal Cinelli in quality. If it doesn't, it comes pretty close.
Lots of dogma in this thread. I don't buy it. In fact, the more dogmatic a post is, the less I trust it.
Old 09-03-23, 05:42 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

I know, right? Dude's got a pretty nice bike, but won't do anything to make it rideable, safe, or even better.

The cheapness of folks on this Forum knows no bounds.
...two different approaches on display. The majority of people who hang out here regularly, would look on that $150 Medici as a great project starting point.

The paint is iffy, but if you were willing to spend another couple of hundred bucks overhauling it and replacing stuff like rubber, cables, tires, maybe dual pivot brakes, an un-drilled bar and a stem that fits the reach to your preferences, it's possibly a good deal at $150. You're posting at a guy who buys low, and tries not to get all caught up in sunk costs. Because it won't be too long before he decides this one is not as great a bike as he had been led to believe, sells it, and moves on.

It's just a misunderstanding really. Different world views. You fix stuff, and fit it to your ideal parameters. He starts threads complaining about all the liars on Craigslist. I buy a $150 bike like this because it has a reputation as a well built frame (sometimes...the reviews were mixed for some reason). I fully expect to deconstruct it, maybe repaint it a little nicer, and reassemble it for optimal performance. Not everyone is so inclined. Certainly in the current time frame, it's a money loser. You need to be doing it because you enjoy riding this kind of stuff. So what we have here, is failure to communicate.

I don't really expect him to understand this world of old bikes, but I'm sure he will have wonderful adventures here. Asking for advice on a mechanical issue and then coming back to say "Thanks, but I'm just gonna ignore it," is great fun. Where would we be without this stuff. And any arguments that pop up along the way about whether the cable is too short, drilling aluminum alloy bars is a bad idea, or dual versus single pivot brakes ? That's bonus content.
Old 09-03-23, 05:53 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Asking for advice on a mechanical issue and then coming back to say "Thanks, but I'm just gonna ignore it," is great fun. Where would we be without this stuff.
Old 09-03-23, 07:29 PM
RoadWearier

Well I sold it for $200! Now you can stop arguing. I made profit profit profit!! Evil dirty profit!!! Bwahahaha!!!

Now onto the next bike!!! Bwahahaha
Old 09-03-23, 07:35 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Well I sold it for $200! Now you can stop arguing. I made profit profit profit!! Evil dirty profit!!! Bwahahaha!!!

...congratulations. It's always satisfying when you can achieve your objective.
Old 09-03-23, 07:37 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
. Asking for advice on a mechanical issue and then coming back to say "Thanks, but I'm just gonna ignore it," is great fun. Where would we be without this stuff. .
At least folks know how to respond to the next thread, soon to come.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-03-23, 07:53 PM
smd4

You “loved” the bike a week ago. Of course I would never suggest you were “lying.” People throw that term around carelessly sometimes, don’t you think? But I’m starting to think you’re less than forthright.
Old 09-03-23, 08:22 PM
RoadWearier

You “loved” the bike a week ago. Of course I would never suggest you were “lying.” People throw that term around carelessly sometimes, don’t you think? But I’m starting to think you’re less than forthright.
Yes I loved it! And then discarded it like an old hooor! Rankles your cocycx, don't it? Next I will Defile a Schwinn Paramount! Bwahahaha
Old 09-03-23, 08:26 PM
RoadWearier

...congratulations. It's always satisfying when you can achieve your objective.
Next...another Trump Presidency! Then I will buy a Roadmaster for $40 and sell it for $42.58!! bwahahaha!!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.