Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Newbee question on gearing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-23, 04:08 PM
bfuser29831039

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

I'm riding a 2021 Giant Talon 4 with a 2x7 drivetrain. My question is what could I do to gain some more top speed. Specs list crank as ProWheel forged 22/36 and not sure on rear cassette other than 7 speed. We ride paved/hard pack rails to trails only.
Old 11-17-23, 04:34 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Are you running out of gears? In other words, when you're in the big chainring on the front, and small cog in the rear, are your legs spinning faster than is comfortable for you?
Old 11-17-23, 04:44 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Let us know what the cassette range is. Like smallest cog is a 12 tooth, biggest is a 32 or whatever. That lets us know if we can recommend an alternative. And as per Eric’s question, it seems odd (but possible) you would be running out of gearing in the 36 ring and smallest cog.
Old 11-17-23, 05:20 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Let us know what the cassette range is. Like smallest cog is a 12 tooth, biggest is a 32 or whatever. That lets us know if we can recommend an alternative. And as per Eric’s question, it seems odd (but possible) you would be running out of gearing in the 36 ring and smallest cog.
The 38x11 combination on my gravel bike gets me to about 28mph before I start bumping up against the limits of a cadence I can sustain for extended periods.
Old 11-17-23, 06:41 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
The OEM cassette is a 14-28t, which you could've googled easily, like I did. Not at all difficult to imagine a cyclist spinning out 36-14.
Likes For TC1:
Old 11-17-23, 06:54 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1
The OEM cassette is a 14-28t, which you could've googled easily, like I did. Not at all difficult to imagine a cyclist spinning out 36-14.
That’s a 70” gear that spins out at 18 mph at 90 rpm. If you can spin up to 120 rpm, it can squeeze out almost 25 mph.

Originally Posted by Bgdv1
I'm riding a 2021 Giant Talon 4 with a 2x7 drivetrain. My question is what could I do to gain some more top speed. Specs list crank as ProWheel forged 22/36 and not sure on rear cassette other than 7 speed. We ride paved/hard pack rails to trails only.
The problem you are going to have is that you can’t just replace the rear gears to get a higher gear. You have a freewheel which is limited to 14 teeth. You’d need to change to a freehub which takes a cassette to get to an 11 tooth high gear which would give you a 90” gear which spin at about 40 mph at 90 rpm. You’ll need a cassette which is kind of cheap but you’ll also need a new wheel which isn’t as cheap.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-17-23, 06:57 PM
One Wheel

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 40 Posts
The easiest way to add top end speed is going to be a larger chainring. Current fads aside, 36/22 is pretty small. That said, that's a fairly cheap bike, not designed to be seriously repaired, much less upgraded. Upgrading the chainrings may require swapping out the cranks as well, and will almost certainly require a new chain. Cheap bikes are great to start with, but it's a lot easier to justify a $100 upgrade to a $2000 bike than a $150 upgrade to a $600 bike.
Old 11-17-23, 07:10 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
There has to be an inexpensive way to get to larger front chain rings. Maybe used parts? Goodwill, ebay, somewhere? I put larger rings on an old MTB a few years back that came off a Goodwill find. Swapped out everything from BB, cranks, even the pedals. I had to buy a new chain an move the front DR up, but it was all doable and didn't cost much. I put all the old pieces on the donor bike and donated it to a neighbor that rode it a few times and then let it rust away.
Old 11-17-23, 07:12 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by One Wheel
The easiest way to add top end speed is going to be a larger chainring. Current fads aside, 36/22 is pretty small. That said, that's a fairly cheap bike, not designed to be seriously repaired, much less upgraded. Upgrading the chainrings may require swapping out the cranks as well, and will almost certainly require a new chain. Cheap bikes are great to start with, but it's a lot easier to justify a $100 upgrade to a $2000 bike than a $150 upgrade to a $600 bike.
the wheel & cassette probably easier & maybe cheaper?
Old 11-17-23, 07:24 PM
One Wheel

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by choddo
the wheel & cassette probably easier & maybe cheaper?
It looks like the bike is an entry-level 29" MTB. It would be difficult, and not very useful, to increase wheel size.
If the current cassette is 14-28, as mentioned above, then it would likely be possible to get a cassette that fits with an 11t cog. My MTB has 11-50 cassette with a 34t chainring. On flat trails like OP described I would probably go for at least a 42t large chainring with an 11t cog. My dream gravel bike would have a 10-36 cassette with 50/34 chainrings, so you can take my opinions with an adequate scoop of salt.
Old 11-17-23, 08:25 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by One Wheel
The crankset appears to be a low end riveted crank. It would have to be replaced entirely to get a larger chainring. A larger outer chainring wouldn’t work with the 22 inner which would make the low higher.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-17-23, 08:36 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That’s a 70” gear that spins out at 18 mph at 90 rpm. If you can spin up to 120 rpm, it can squeeze out almost 25 mph.

The problem you are going to have is that you can’t just replace the rear gears to get a higher gear. You have a freewheel which is limited to 14 teeth. You’d need to change to a freehub which takes a cassette to get to an 11 tooth high gear which would give you a 90” gear which spin at about 40 mph at 90 rpm. You’ll need a cassette which is kind of cheap but you’ll also need a new wheel which isn’t as cheap.
Amazon has 11-28 freewheels for $27

14 was never a limit for freewheels. Why suggest something so daft?
Old 11-17-23, 08:57 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 23 Posts
All this information but not one url to a product
Likes For AtNjineer:
Old 11-17-23, 08:59 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by AtNjineer
All this information but not one url to a product
www.amazon.com
Likes For Kontact:
Old 11-17-23, 09:02 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

I looked up your bike for sec
couldnt find the bcd
but just upgrade your biggest chainring to bigger
you will need only the buy a bigger chainring and a Allen wrench

buying a smaller cassette might be more expensive and you will need to make am additional purchase for a cassette removal tool
Old 11-17-23, 09:16 PM
Kontact 

couldnt find the bcd

buying a smaller cassette might be more expensive and you will need to make am additional purchase for a cassette removal tool
What do you think about having to raise the derailleur and redo the shifting, and the limitations on how much chainring size difference the front derailleur can tolerate?What about chain length?

And if you don't know about any of that, why are you offering advice? You have plenty of your own threads to hand out poor ideas.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 11-17-23, 09:24 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Originally Posted by Kontact
What do you think about having to raise the derailleur and redo the shifting, and the limitations on how much chainring size difference the front derailleur can tolerate?What about chain length?

And if you don't know about any of that, why are you offering advice? You have plenty of your own threads to hand out poor ideas.
what a terrific display of an emotional outburst
Old 11-17-23, 09:28 PM
Kontact 

what a terrific display of an emotional outburst
So no thoughts on the front derailleur and chain length?
Old 11-17-23, 09:28 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

asking questions to which you refuse to disclose the answers to is grounds for self termination.

Japanese warrior style

there is no will be no issue
with what I suggested
if there is an intellectual will bring forth those issues

until then we have you and your amazon link for amusement
Old 11-17-23, 09:30 PM
Kontact 

asking questions to which you refuse to disclose the answers to is grounds for self termination.

Japanese warrior style

there is no will be no issue
with what I suggested
if there is an intellectual will bring forth those issues

until then we have you and your amazon link for amusement
I provided the answers: When you go to a larger chainring it affects the front derailleur in two ways and the chain length.
Old 11-17-23, 09:36 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

I provided the answers: When you go to a larger chainring it affects the front derailleur in two ways and the chain length.

what you posses is simply an assumption or expectation

what you lack is an answer or solution of any type
Old 11-17-23, 09:44 PM
Kontact 

what you posses is simply an assumption or expectation

what you lack is an answer or solution of any type
Did that come out of a fortune cookie?

I already suggested the OP get a wider range freewheel. It will require the least work and is relatively cheap.
Old 11-17-23, 09:52 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Did that come out of a fortune cookie?

I already suggested the OP get a wider range freewheel. It will require the least work and is relatively cheap.

ok and your still here because what exactly.

Like get lost bro

or form sentences that completely omit your personal emotions

and or provide insight to the op
Old 11-17-23, 10:01 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
A useful link would be something like
https://www.amazon.com/Sturmey-Arche...003LHMJRQ?th=1
I've never seen an 11t freewheel, please prove one exists? Best I knew of as a result of a similar discussion to this earlier in the year was the 13t I found, until then I shared the illusion that 14t was smallest but I'd be happy to have you correct me further.

couldnt find the bcd

Your responses show that Kontact is right, you don't yet have the knowledge you need. Some pointers. If there's no BCD on a low end bike, start by presuming its riveted and the rings can't be changed. Buying a bigger one will be a waste of money. Cassettes =/= freewheels, you need to understand the difference in the terms. First indicator is that its 7sp, and has a 14t small cog, always the first sign of a freewheel; cassettes, until 11sp, almost universally started with an 11t small cog with just the occasional 12t. A bike with a 13t would have been an aftermarket replacement and an actual 14t would have suggested Jr gearing and a swap. So 14t=freewheel. Freewheels require a freewheel remover, not a cassette remove, and despite the similar appearances, they're not all that interchangeable. Swapping to a cassette then will require an entirely different wheel to match the attachment style of the new cassette and a cassette lockring tool, removal of a cassette would also require a chain whip and not just a cassette removal tool. Now you know why Kontact is telling you to learn more.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 11-17-23, 10:42 PM
AtNjineer
Banned.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
A useful link would be something like
https://www.amazon.com/Sturmey-Arche...003LHMJRQ?th=1
I've never seen an 11t freewheel, please prove one exists? Best I knew of as a result of a similar discussion to this earlier in the year was the 13t I found, until then I shared the illusion that 14t was smallest but I'd be happy to have you correct me further.

Your responses show that Kontact is right, you don't yet have the knowledge you need. Some pointers. If there's no BCD on a low end bike, start by presuming its riveted and the rings can't be changed. Buying a bigger one will be a waste of money. Cassettes =/= freewheels, you need to understand the difference in the terms. First indicator is that its 7sp, and has a 14t small cog, always the first sign of a freewheel; cassettes, until 11sp, almost universally started with an 11t small cog with just the occasional 12t. A bike with a 13t would have been an aftermarket replacement and an actual 14t would have suggested Jr gearing and a swap. So 14t=freewheel. Freewheels require a freewheel remover, not a cassette remove, and despite the similar appearances, they're not all that interchangeable. Swapping to a cassette then will require an entirely different wheel to match the attachment style of the new cassette and a cassette lockring tool, removal of a cassette would also require a chain whip and not just a cassette removal tool. Now you know why Kontact is telling you to learn more.

now what since I’m the one that lives under a rock and knows nothing lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.