Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Seems a little high! 80's fixed gear

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-12, 03:22 PM
SundayFunday

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, this is my first post but this site has been very helpful so thank you for that!

Local CL ad for a Raleigh Olympian already converted to a fixed gear. Im not sure what year it is specifically but Im guessing its early 80's. He's asking $250. Isn't this a little high?

Seller's description and photo link:
"great bike. matching brown leather grips and saddle. new tubes. needs nothing. great campus bike. call if interested. NO TRADES." https://imgur.com/dbCb9

I've read some pretty good things about the Olympians on here and have researched prices but I haven't found much info on already converted Olympians. Any help and info will be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I live in the midwest...just FYI

Last edited by SundayFunday; 09-23-12 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-23-12, 03:26 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
He's high.
SS_Giant
might be Phil Schwartz

Bikes: thats none of your information BF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
looks like a brooks saddle? cant really tell, but if it is I could see the guy using that to jack up the price
GENESTARWIND

Bikes: purty blue undefeated II 57cm

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
there is a craigslist/ebay thread for this.

delete repost
Old 09-23-12, 03:27 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

It's not a Brooks.
Old 09-23-12, 03:29 PM
SundayFunday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I will
Old 09-23-12, 03:32 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
I'd condider it. Not a bad frame. Reynolds 555 DB Cromo made in taiwan. And I LOVE maroon and gold.

I spent $141 on my Free Spirit conversion and I got free frame/wheels/stem/bars. I used better pedals and cheaper tires, though. Probably better lockring, I kinda splurged there. So you can kinda use that as a guide to conversion costs, I reckon.

Of course I live near Portland, OR and might be able to pull $150 for frame/fork alone in this market.
Old 09-23-12, 03:43 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
You can buy decent new bikes for that money
e.g....https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../clockwork.htm
Old 09-23-12, 04:25 PM
SundayFunday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=mihlbach;14765808]You can buy decent new bikes for that money
e.g....https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../clockwork.htm[/QUOTE

I have been considering a Windsor the Hour and I'm curious as to how something like this Raleigh compares to it. Thank you for your helpful post!

As GENESTARWIND suggested I'm trying to delete this thread, but I can't figure out how to. Like I said, I'm new here and I do apologize.
Old 09-23-12, 05:11 PM
mihlbach

No need to delete the thread.
The Windsor Hour is going to be stiffer than the old 80s frame and, since its all new, it should go longer without needing repairs or replacement parts. Since its a new bike, and not an old conversion, the frame and parts will work better together overall, and compatable replacement parts are widely available. For instance, if you should ever need a different rear wheel or drive train component, you are more than likely going to have to troubleshoot problems associated with frame spacing and chainline with the old Raleigh, but not with the Windsor.

My first FG was a used 80s conversion. My experience tells me that unless you are specifically into vintage frames and have access to unlimited spare bike parts, the conversion route is a dark path that usually ends up costing more than a new bike.
Old 09-23-12, 05:30 PM
JDMKidBill

Bikes: Centurion Fixed Gear, 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach

My first FG was a used 80s conversion. My experience tells me that unless you are specifically into vintage frames and have access to unlimited spare bike parts, the conversion route is a dark path that usually ends up costing more than a new bike.
Slightly agree to this. My conversion from the frame up cost me ~250, and that's with $20 for the front wheel (Alex,new), and $65 for the rear wheel (Alex,new).

Also, if you were to get the Raleigh, you might need a new tube/tires? Consider that before buying it.
Old 09-23-12, 05:39 PM
SundayFunday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand this to be true from research and talking to several friends that ride FG's. I'm not really looking for a project; I'm looking to get on the road asap. This bike appealed to me because it was local and already converted, but you never know what you're getting into with someone else's "handy work." I really like what I've heard about the hour and it appears to be a good candidate for component upgrades. I do plan on putting on front brake just incase anyone was wondering. Thanks again!
Old 09-23-12, 05:42 PM
mihlbach

Originally Posted by SundayFunday
I understand this to be true from research and talking to several friends that ride FG's. I'm not really looking for a project; I'm looking to get on the road asap. This bike appealed to me because it was local and already converted, but you never know what you're getting into with someone else's "handy work." I really like what I've heard about the hour and it appears to be a good candidate for component upgrades. I do plan on putting on front brake just incase anyone was wondering. Thanks again!
When you order you Windsor, tell BD Mike "your welcome" for me.
Old 09-23-12, 05:43 PM
SundayFunday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JDMKidBill
Slightly agree to this. My conversion from the frame up cost me ~250, and that's with $20 for the front wheel (Alex,new), and $65 for the rear wheel (Alex,new).

Also, if you were to get the Raleigh, you might need a new tube/tires? Consider that before buying it.
It says it has new tubes, but then again the front tire is flat in the picture. I like the idea of converting a bike but I'm starting to conclude that it would be a better project for a second bike once I have more experience with FG's. Thanks for your comment!
Old 09-23-12, 05:44 PM
SundayFunday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you order you Windsor, tell BD Mike "your welcome" for me.
Will do, ha!
Old 09-23-12, 06:08 PM
eyeomegasquared

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Can't tell what components are on it. The price could be fine. If you buy an old frame like that and try building it up yourself, you'll definitely spend more than $250, even using cheap parts.

Old 09-23-12, 10:05 PM
JDMKidBill

Bikes: Centurion Fixed Gear, 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eyeomegasquared
Can't tell what components are on it. The price could be fine. If you buy an old frame like that and try building it up yourself, you'll definitely spend more than $250, even using cheap parts.
Frameset w/ headset- 40
Tires- ~20
Tubes- had two in hand
Chain- 13
Cog-28
Chainring- had laying around
BB- had laying around
Front rim(not sealed, generic hub on Alex rims)- 20
Rear rim new (sealed hub, RedLine on Alex)- 65
Handlebar new (Forte)- 20
Stem- used Nitto for 15
Grip tape- 12
Brake lever- 12
Caliper- 25
Cables/housing-4
MKS Pedals + cages/straps: 45

EDIT: LOL, I had it rolling without tape/ MKS pedals/ brake set up for ~250.... so if you ride brakeless/have pedals already/ don't like bar tape... lawl. Just get The Hour.
Old 09-23-12, 10:06 PM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
You could end up with something better for less $$ if you wait it out...if you do like this bike I'd offer $200
Old 09-24-12, 01:20 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
There is an over-inflated market for "vintage" bikes. Most people don't realize how much work building and makntaining an older bike is, but riding an old bike is trendy now. I am hoping that the bottom drops out of that market soon. Having an old bike like that is like driving an old VW Beetle. You have to have access to old parts and have the skills and time to work on it yourself. See if there is a bike co-op near you where you can find and work on an old bike.
Old 09-24-12, 07:39 AM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mack_turtle
There is an over-inflated market for "vintage" bikes. Most people don't realize how much work building and makntaining an older bike is, but riding an old bike is trendy now. I am hoping that the bottom drops out of that market soon. Having an old bike like that is like driving an old VW Beetle. You have to have access to old parts and have the skills and time to work on it yourself. See if there is a bike co-op near you where you can find and work on an old bike.
Strongly disagree with this statement. Besides a push bike or skateboard, a ss/fg bike is pretty much the simplest form of transportation around. With modern wheels (assume conversion of vtg bike w/new wheels), only the headset and bottom bracket will require attention more than once a year/every couple thousand miles. Thanks to the Internet, parts are easier to find than ever, and there is a vast wealth of knowlege available to help you keep your bike maintained. The VW comparison is way off IMO, a vintage car with air-cooled motor takes 100x more work to build/maintain than a fg/ss bike.
Old 09-24-12, 08:03 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
^truth
A few basic tools, Sheldon Brown, and patience is all you need
Old 09-24-12, 12:15 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
This is my old conversion pricelist, before Cute Bicycles stopped doing their thing. Would be a little more if getting wheels/cog/lockring from velomine, et al. This assumes you have a perfectly good olde road bike with crappy saddle, tires and pedals. I guess it also assumes you live in Portland, cuz no shipping on Universal.

Wheels $112.00 https://www.cutebikes.net/ with cog, lockring AND freewheel
Pedals $16.00 https://www.cutebikes.net/ with clips/straps
Saddle $26.00 https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...1&category=149
Sram PC1 chain $10.05 https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ls.php?id=6646
Forte Strada 700x25 tires $19.98 https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...90_-1___400235
Tubes $5.98 https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...16_-1___400233

$190.01
Old 09-24-12, 12:56 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
lol u bought sqrl wheelz
Old 09-24-12, 04:01 PM
SundayFunday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
This is my old conversion pricelist, before Cute Bicycles stopped doing their thing. Would be a little more if getting wheels/cog/lockring from velomine, et al. This assumes you have a perfectly good olde road bike with crappy saddle, tires and pedals. I guess it also assumes you live in Portland, cuz no shipping on Universal.

Wheels $112.00 https://www.cutebikes.net/ with cog, lockring AND freewheel
Pedals $16.00 https://www.cutebikes.net/ with clips/straps
Saddle $26.00 https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...1&category=149
Sram PC1 chain $10.05 https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...ls.php?id=6646
Forte Strada 700x25 tires $19.98 https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...90_-1___400235
Tubes $5.98 https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...16_-1___400233

$190.01
Thank you for this, very helpful!

A buddy of mine is actually going to bring me a Raleigh frame that he has tonight. He says I'll need wheels/tires, BB, Crankset, pedals and that I'll probably want to change the handlebars and get a new saddle. He's going to just give it to me if I like it! I post some pictures of it later tonight so I can see what you experts think of it. We'll see if its a worthy candidate for conversion.

Oh and btw the way the guy on the CL ad now has the bike listed at $200 instead of $250.

Last edited by SundayFunday; 09-24-12 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 09-24-12, 04:13 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

still high as a kite

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.