Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cracked frame welding

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cracked frame welding

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-20, 08:46 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Yes, I'd say that's too taut.

Edit: It's a little difficult to tell because of the angle. But try loosening it a bit more and then see how much the top sags while going backwards on the pedals. That should show total sag too, and be easier to "eye" than using a prod.

Last edited by CargoDane; 11-10-20 at 08:50 PM.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-10-20, 09:23 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
Yes, I'd say that's too taut.

Edit: It's a little difficult to tell because of the angle. But try loosening it a bit more and then see how much the top sags while going backwards on the pedals. That should show total sag too, and be easier to "eye" than using a prod.
better? She's just at the point where if I loosened some more I could pull her off.

Last edited by 5 mph; 11-10-20 at 09:27 PM.
Likes For 5 mph:
Old 11-10-20, 09:31 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Yes, that looks much better, 5!
Old 11-10-20, 09:50 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by 5 mph
better? She's just at the point where if I loosened some more I could pull her off.
Btw, 5, if you find it is so loose that it sometimes fall off, you can safely tighten it a bit until it doesn't do that anymore. It has be tight enough to not do that.
Old 11-10-20, 10:30 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Btw, 5, if you find it is so loose that it sometimes fall off, you can safely tighten it a bit until it doesn't do that anymore. It has be tight enough to not do that.
no its fine. Appreciate your help. Probably my fault the langster cracked.
Likes For 5 mph:
Old 11-10-20, 10:33 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

no its fine. Appreciate your help. Probably my fault the langster cracked.
No problem. Glad to be able to help
Old 11-10-20, 10:40 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,824 Times in 1,541 Posts
am I too taut

? Is this too taut? The Langster is a backup now, the bianchi is my daily bike.
glad you got a replacement...

Old 11-12-20, 07:46 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Thanks that's good information. Do you have any guidelines or information on how to set Chain slack? I switched to a bike with a CR-MO frame, a Bianchi. It was sitting in some one's garage unused for a decade I remember on the Langster the chain was so slack it would pop off at times when I hit a bump.
The chain on my Bianchi is not taut but I'd like to introduce some slack as a precaution..I'm using chain tensioners. Probably tomorrow I'll nudge the tire a bit forward as a precaution
Sorry for slow response, the email notification said your post was blank.

What you want to do is eliminate all tight spots. With bike off the ground spin cranks slowly and you will see that there are tight spots and loose spots. Chainrings are not perfectly concentric. Rear cogs are not perfectly concentric. Additional errors are introduced because the frame is never perfectly straight and the wheel is seldom perfectly centered in frame. To have a chance of getting it all right you simply must have good chainline. Not perfect, that does not exist, but good.

Hopefully the chain does not hang loose at any point but it might. If the chain pulls taut at any point while cranks are rotating the wheel must move forward.

I have been riding fixed wheel for 53 years and never had a chain come off. My current fixed gear road bike has 50.4 bcd Durax crank arms that are not very accurate. The TA chainring is not very accurate. With the small bolt circle errors are amplified. It is a cheap basic cog at rear and that is not accurate. To eliminate tight spots there just have to be spots where the chain hangs loose. Looser than I would wish, but it all works. Just recently made an old age personal best of 190rpm on that bike. In traffic. In distant past have done 220 on the road and used to hit 240 every time when training on rollers. That is with chains that never get taut.

I don’t even know all the bad things that can happen with a taut chain. I do know what it sounds like, having been too near guys riding that way. It will definitely make everything wear out fast. The chain wants some slack and it will grind off metal to get it. Chain coming off is either very very loose, worn out, or the chainline is not good enough.

The other thing you want to avoid is road chainrings made for derailleur bikes. Those have shift gates intended to help the chain come off. Even worse than riding on a worn out chainring.
Likes For 63rickert:
Old 11-12-20, 08:54 AM
63rickert

After posting I read some of the other comments accumulated on the thread. Apparently dropping a chain has become something normal and common for fixed gear riding. This is so wrong. I rode fixed for thirty years before even hearing a report of a dropped chain. It is not normal. Something is very wrong if the bike is able to drop a chain.

Someone thinks tracks are smooth and have no bumps. Someone who never rode a track. Yes, tracks have bumps. Always. The biggest bump will be a downed rider. Usually the best thing to do is to ride straight over them. No one gets hurt, no additional rider need fall and the chains stay on. Then there is the world of grass track racing. There are no Zambonis for grass track.

I am 68 years old. If my chain comes off it is very likely I fall. If I fall it is near certain I will be injured. If the chances of any of this were greater than zero I would not be out on the road riding fixed. Fixed is the safest way to ride.

In in the early years of cycling everyone rode fixed. When freewheels became available they were an expensive option. Everyone can do this. It is not that hard.
Old 11-12-20, 01:10 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by 63rickert
After posting I read some of the other comments accumulated on the thread. Apparently dropping a chain has become something normal and common for fixed gear riding. This is so wrong. I rode fixed for thirty years before even hearing a report of a dropped chain. It is not normal. Something is very wrong if the bike is able to drop a chain.

Someone thinks tracks are smooth and have no bumps. Someone who never rode a track. Yes, tracks have bumps. Always. The biggest bump will be a downed rider. Usually the best thing to do is to ride straight over them. No one gets hurt, no additional rider need fall and the chains stay on. Then there is the world of grass track racing. There are no Zambonis for grass track.

I am 68 years old. If my chain comes off it is very likely I fall. If I fall it is near certain I will be injured. If the chances of any of this were greater than zero I would not be out on the road riding fixed. Fixed is the safest way to ride.

In in the early years of cycling everyone rode fixed. When freewheels became available they were an expensive option. Everyone can do this. It is not that hard.
If another person is a "bump", who cares about the chain coming off? You're going down. Don't be so daft.

And since it seems directed to me: A track does not have bumps compared to street riding with potholes, kerbs, and whatnot.

AND, I specifically said it should NOT drop off, and if it does, the wheel has to be moved back a bit.

Sheesh! Go ride on that "bumpy" track of yours. No one is advocating for a chain so loose it will drop off the cog/chainring.
Old 11-12-20, 04:45 PM
63rickert

If another person is a "bump", who cares about the chain coming off? You're going down. Don't be so daft.

Since you have decided in advance you are going down you probably will. Amazing how so many know so much about things they have never done.

For those who live vicariously there are photo archives. Always a popular photo, many examples.
Old 11-12-20, 05:29 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...save+velodrome
Old 11-12-20, 05:47 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

I never said you couldn't avoid crashing. I said that if you run OVER someone as you suggested, you're going down. Hitting or avoiding someone is not the same. And even if you find those "amzing" saves, it is not really a bumpy track - and certainly not like actual roads, kerbs, and what have you. Maybe go for a ride outside?

It doesn't change much what I argued: That his chain should NOT be so loose it comes off as you seemed to pretend I said. I specifically said that if it came off, it was too loose and he should tighten it up.

It's amazing, it's as if the two of you have never ridden outside on potholed streets, kerbs, gravel, singletrack, and whatever else is out there. So eager to argue against so loose chains they fall off, despite me not advocating that at all.
Old 11-12-20, 06:54 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Not sure how this turned into an argument. I posted the link to the velodrome crash and near-crash simply because one of the posts reminded me of it and thought that you guys might find it interesting.

For what it's worth, I have a Langster that I bought the first year it was in production, and I had the chain derail repeatedly out on the road (glad I had a front brake when it happened). Very unnerving.

I finally traced the problem to the soft aluminum track ends, which the axle locknuts caused to deform over time, enough to let the axle slip regardless of how much I tightened the track nuts. I stuck some very thin stainless steel washers on the axle, on the inner side and outer side of each fork end, and added a axle retainer on the drive side that's all I have left from my first track bike, bought back in 1964. (Specialized added steel plates to the faces of the fork ends on later Langsters, so I clearly wasn't the only one who encountered that problem.)

Somewhere on Sheldon Brown's site, I believe he says that you can compensate for the eccentricity of a track bike's chain ring by loosening the bolts a little, finding the spot on the chain ring where the chain is tightest, and then smacking the chain ring with a rubber mallet. Sounds like wishful thinking to me. I just wish it were easier to get the chain tension right with the Langster's cheap drivetrain, which always seems to be either too tight or on the verge of dropping the chain. My other two track bikes have high-end cranks, and it's a breeze to get the chain tension right on those.
Old 11-12-20, 07:00 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Sorry for that trackhat. I got annoyed on another poster who thought I was arguing for slack chains that falls off, when I clearly didn't advocate that at all. My apologies.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-13-20, 10:35 AM
63rickert

I never said you couldn't avoid crashing. I said that if you run OVER someone as you suggested, you're going down. Hitting or avoiding someone is not the same. And even if you find those "amzing" saves, it is not really a bumpy track - and certainly not like actual roads, kerbs, and what have you. Maybe go for a ride outside?

It doesn't change much what I argued: That his chain should NOT be so loose it comes off as you seemed to pretend I said. I specifically said that if it came off, it was too loose and he should tighten it up.

It's amazing, it's as if the two of you have never ridden outside on potholed streets, kerbs, gravel, singletrack, and whatever else is out there. So eager to argue against so loose chains they fall off, despite me not advocating that at all.
Yes, it is possible to ride OVER a downed rider and not crash. It is done all the time. It is possible to ride up and OVER piles of downed riders. If you prefer to crash go ahead. It will not make you popular in the peloton if a save was available and you did not even try. Mostly it happens so fast there’s no thought involved, technique would be loose grip on bars and let the bike go where it wants. Maybe lift bars just a little. Bikes are stable, very stable, they don’t crash that easy. Of course if you want to join the pile that is very easy too.

You have never been on a track. Why pretend to know things? Yes, tracks are used with potholes. Do you even know what grass track is?

How many posts did this thread go before someone pointed out drivetrain eccentricity? OP posted photos of chain slack and got opinions, who asked if that was the tight spot or loose spot?

Explaining bikes on bikeforums can be like talking American football to a Manchester United fan..
Old 11-13-20, 10:40 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Maybe you should have read more of the thread, then.