Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Tires and Tubes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New Tires and Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-20, 03:37 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts

Continental Grand Prix 5000 Endurance Test

An interesting read.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...endurance-test.

My favorite tire...
Schwalbe Pro One TT TLE (on my Bob Jackson Audax Club, 25mm) 2nd fastest tire on the planet, tubeless.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/schwalbe-pro-one-tt-tle

: Mike

Last edited by Nemosengineer; 12-13-20 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-14-20, 02:59 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
That's an impressive study. I mean, the results are impressive. It's also interesting that it involved latex tubes with sealant. Now that is something I would consider. I would not consider going tubeless. It's more hassle than I'm willing to deal with. So are latex tubes. I'm pretty tolerant of punctures. They're not a big deal for me, but hearing how easily latex tubes puncture, I wouldn't use them. But this latex-plus-sealant idea is food for thought. But one drawback is cost.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-15-20, 01:36 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
That's an impressive study. I mean, the results are impressive.
It's interesting, but is the methodology worth a damn? Using a fixed wheel and metal drum covered with diamond plate as a simulation road surface is such a departure from real world conditions that I would expect there to be some testing of the hypothesis that valid data is produced. I don't see any.
Old 12-15-20, 04:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
Right. It may not be valid.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-15-20, 06:17 PM
dangraham

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
"If you show me a tube out of its box, does it come in a box? Is it genuine or grey market or a genuine counterfeit? I want a box."

One more impact of COVID is that some retailers are only able to get some models of tubes without boxes. I saw this note on the Rene Herse Cycles website:

"Note: During the current tube shortage, we could get some models only without boxes. We appreciate your understanding."
Likes For dangraham:
Old 07-14-21, 12:23 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Well, it's been almost exactly one year since I originally started this thread.

I now have butyl inner tubes galore, probably a lifetime supply, but have not purchased tires. The more I read, the less convinced I am of the worth of online testimonials and rolling resistance tests and the like (no offense, guys). I think you just have to try them to know. The good news is there are many excellent tires from which to chose and you have named them for me in your posts above.

Thanks for the help and advice.
Old 07-14-21, 11:46 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
I did a little more reading of reviews and searching today. There are just SO MANY from which to chose AND they are all good-to great. It is literally daunting.

I ended up buying a set of Challenge tires at what seems like a decent price. They were in the proper sizes and have the (nostalgic) skin wall pattern I like so much.

I wanted to have them on hand when these tires "give up the ghost" on me.

Thanks again, guys, for the help and advice.
Old 07-15-21, 04:55 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 192 Posts
I have the very dark brown wall version of the Gatorskins by Conti in 28c and like them a lot for the mountain curvy roads if Tennessee. Very sticky to the road. I like Vittoria Models too, but these Conti tires and their GP5000's are really nice. Tubes, Conti and Salsa used to have a lighter butyl versions that lasted well enough and we're 2/3's the weight.