Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help me ID this frame!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help me ID this frame!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-21, 02:03 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Agree totally—I assumed from his post that Francophile was just going to put new decals over the rubbed off ones....I highly doubt he is considering a repaint. That blue paint original is gorgeous.
Old 02-05-21, 02:34 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonofamechanic
Agree totally—I assumed from his post that Francophile was just going to put new decals over the rubbed off ones....I highly doubt he is considering a repaint. That blue paint original is gorgeous.
Definitely not repainting. Just needed new script decals and a head tube decal. Looks like SSS is potentially the original producer of decals for Behringer (and several others per this and I see they have a catalog of decal options). Exactly what I need, the script on the Behringer decals is exactly correct. The Letraset "Commercial Script" and "Palace Script" just weren't quite right, and can't imagine Behringer would've used those. You never know, though!

May have to get custom on the seat tube decals, but those are still fairly good! Thanks Sonofamechanic!!!! (And sorry to OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread, I've just been looking for years!)

Old 02-05-21, 02:46 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
Letraset dry transfer (rubdown) letter sheets are long gone (unless you want "vintage" from collectible sellers on Etsy and eBay, and buyer beware: these dried out and lost their "stick" over time). But interesting that there was a time that Pantone (as in the ubiquitous PMS or Pantone Matching System for colors) was either a part of, or partner with, the parent company of Letraset (Esselte Co., Ltd.) and PMS is still going strong. And you can have sheets of dry transfers made to order from many vendors (we used to call them all "Cromatec" cause that was one of the biggest brands) so you could copy original Letraset sheets (in strictly black or white) if you so desired, but could make them in ANY color, now, PMS or otherwise. For outdoor use these need to be clear-coated, they hold up pretty well to sun and weathering but NOT to any abrasion!
Old 02-05-21, 04:19 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 87 Posts
Exact style/sizing match with original confirmed.
(Owner gave me some grief for putting the “custom” label on the TT vs. the chain stay...but I swear I saw it that way on one of Cecil’s bikes...)

Likes For Sonofamechanic:
Old 02-05-21, 06:01 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3813 Post(s)
Liked 3,344 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Can't help with the ID, I'm afraid, but will be following proceedings wit interest because I have a similar color-induced challenge. Even after spending many, many evenings looking at yellow bikes on the web, I still haven't found the combination of parts and colors that I believe might make me like the result.

-----

Hello non-fixie,

a road ensemble which would look good here and be period plausible is the first generation MAVIC SSC

it contains bits of black which will resonate with the transfers without being a black ensemble

its angularity will be compatible with the aesthetic of the frameset

for a trim colour for bar wrap, cable casings, toe straps and such suggest either a very light grey or bone

a saddle which would fit in with the relieving of the components is the Sofatti
these were offered in a half dozen colours one of which was a sort of antique white which would work with the other trim bits

finished build will express an integrated and pleasing gestalt

the saturated yellow will no longer leap to assault the eye

my two guilderen

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 02-05-21, 08:57 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0yef
I have only seen the one. lots of similarity but I would not say for sure...
Pretty sure the Pauley ID is accurate.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...heard-him.html

THis thread basically confirmed it for me. I feel blessed. Unfortunately, refinish will be in the distant future. Too many projects, and high end refinish is not justifiable for me now!

Grateful to likely have a rare frame from a master. Part of the allure of this hobby of ours!
Old 02-05-21, 09:04 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
Not every builder used three, although I think you're probably already aware. Your frame is my size and looks like it could use 3, but, like, on this Behringer I have - another great American builder - he opted for 2. Sadly, I'm confident this frame is right on the threshold of too small for me (dammit!) but it's so well constructed, sharing some similar details but definitely not the same. (more pics)

This one for sure was intended to have three, I can see where the repair is under the powder coating. Shame, because it'll add more expense.

That Behringer is beautiful! I'm fortunate that this frame is basically a perfect fit. Makes holding onto it a lot easier 🙂
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 02-06-21, 05:30 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Hello non-fixie,

a road ensemble which would look good here and be period plausible is the first generation MAVIC SSC

it contains bits of black which will resonate with the transfers without being a black ensemble

for a trim colour for bar wrap, cable casings, toe straps and such suggest either a very light grey or bone

a saddle which would fit in with the relieving of the components is the Sofatti
these were offered in a half dozen colours one of which was a sort of antique white which would work with the other trim bits

finished build will express an integrated and pleasing gestalt

the saturated yellow will no longer leap to assault the eye

my two guilderen

-----
Thank you very much! Excellent suggestions! You may have missed your calling as an interior decorator.

One reason I have hesitated thus far is that I believe it was born as a Dawes Mirage, and the urge to bring it back to its original stylish colors is pretty strong too:

More pics at where I borrowed this one from: Han H’s NOS Dawes Mirage.

(EDIT: seems I can't force http, so you'll have remove the "s" yourself)

Last edited by non-fixie; 02-06-21 at 06:48 AM. Reason: https error
Likes For non-fixie:
Old 02-06-21, 08:42 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3813 Post(s)
Liked 3,344 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

thanks @non-fixie

that is a marque would never have guessed

appears to be in the mcmlxxvi time

-----
Old 02-06-21, 09:36 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Senrab62
I'm fortunate that this frame is basically a perfect fit. Makes holding onto it a lot easier 🙂
I'm definitely jealous in that regard! My hope is, as I'm getting older, maybe I'll continue shrinking and might fit mine one day

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Aye! It would look good. I've been mulling over getting rid of my Mavic stash.which I'll probably regret later.

Last edited by francophile; 02-06-21 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-27-21, 09:15 AM
kc0yef 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
okay

Pretty Sure is not sure,
I did a lot of research, when I owned one talked with many of his friends, The marshmallow covering really hides a lot. Chris was Subtle.
I just can't say for sure.

Originally Posted by Senrab62
Pretty sure the Pauley ID is accurate.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...heard-him.html

THis thread basically confirmed it for me. I feel blessed. Unfortunately, refinish will be in the distant future. Too many projects, and high end refinish is not justifiable for me now!

Grateful to likely have a rare frame from a master. Part of the allure of this hobby of ours!